Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 11th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P18 W9 D6 L3

Cover for Suarez and Carroll?

Read 15975 times
      Red5man
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Re: Cover for Suarez and Carroll?
      Reply #115: Apr 18, 2011 02:46:44 pm
      Davies or Elmander. Are you F***ing me?
      mcmulled
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 306 posts | 13 
      Reply #116: Apr 18, 2011 03:41:33 pm
      What are you expecting in terms of COVER for a target man? Ibra, Gomez, benzema etc. ?? Benzema is unhappy about 1st team opportunities at real madrid but will be happy to come and sit on bench at a team not even in Europe?!

Think you need to be realistic or never going to be happy with signings. It's all about strengtherning the squad and I believe Davies (good enough for CApello and England remember) or Elmander who are proven premiership forwards, who would be cheap and happy to be squad players, are decent for a couple of years til we can attract the bigger names by offereing Champions League Football (and be able to viably pay transfer fees and wages with the extra income). We need the type of forward who can do a job away to west brom for example if carroll is out in the way an ngog (or possibly even a benzema) simply couldn't and I think this is the type of player who could.

feel free to keep dreaming and aiming high though - I know you'll be dissappointed but there's still the chance I'll be pleasantly surprised if what I hear from US is correct about FSG pulling off type of signing that even likes of you wouldn't dream of!

Feel free to throw some other (but realistic) names back at me - I can see how Wickham is a possibility but not proven in prem which is what a back up should be IMO
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #117: Apr 18, 2011 05:16:05 pm
      I'd say use Kuyt and Pacheco as cover and save the money. Buy a striker when we get back in the CL.

If Suarez or Carroll get injured we don't always need to have 2 strikers playing, we could always change formations and have on guy up top.
      *HighAsAKuyt*
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 89 posts |
      Reply #118: Apr 18, 2011 09:51:20 pm
      Agbonlahor! My first choice all day long! I know some may disagree but i feel his pace will scare the sh*t out of defences. Fpr example if we replaced Carol on sunday with Agbonlahor instead of Shelvey dont u think his pace would have caused alot more problems?
      Alternatives:
      Lukaku
      Soldado or even
      HULK!!!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #119: Apr 18, 2011 11:01:55 pm
      No. Not Agbonlahor. He's a David N'Gog with speed. And that's like praising a sh*t with a sweetcorn in it.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #120: Apr 19, 2011 06:32:17 am
      Odemwinge.
      Lfcred92
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 972 posts |
      Reply #121: Apr 19, 2011 12:18:29 pm

he would be a very decent back up
      alliphone
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 393 posts | -32 
      Reply #122: Apr 20, 2011 02:52:11 am
      To me we should try whoever we got now for the remaining matches and see the progress.
      We have Kuyt, Maxi, Cole, Jovanovic and Ngog, and other from reserve / youth side.
      Why don't try Jova and Cole, or Kuyt and Jova, or Ngog and Kuyt....

Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #123: Apr 20, 2011 08:24:03 am
      Really wnat to see Pancheco get some games - but under 2 managers who I respect (and one who was a bit of a wally) he hasent got game time...

On topic - Sanchez is my first choice, with Benzeam a second. Either would suit me. Kuyt can cover / do a good job (especially with Suarez providing the ammunition for him) so were not in deep trouble in this position, for once!
      djimitraore2011
      • Forum Youth Player

• 7 posts |
      Reply #124: Apr 20, 2011 11:26:54 am
      We definitly can't keep Ngog as backup, and I wouldn't like us to spend big on a backup striker, if we buy a player like Ashley Young then he could play on the wing and behind the striker.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #125: Apr 20, 2011 10:06:26 pm

Meh, I'm not a fan, think hes sh*te, 1 season wonder if you can call him that.

In a dream world I want Roberto Soldado from Valencia. Great striker. Maybe even better - Cavani from Napoli

I certainly don't want any average players coming in and stopping the likes of Morgan. If we are going to buy players, buy great ones, or those who have the potential to be great.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #126: Apr 21, 2011 01:59:20 am
      In previous years I would want us to bring in players left, right and centre...but with kenny trusting the kids I would love to see his policy continue and have a theme of having the kids as back ups in many positions. Nothing makes me more proud as a lifelong fan than to see homegrown players come through.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #127: Apr 22, 2011 05:18:26 pm
      Maybe even better - Cavani from Napoli

I cry when people say they want Cavani. He'd be donkey sh*t in this league.
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #128: Apr 22, 2011 05:43:15 pm
      I cry when people say they want Cavani. He'd be donkey sh*t in this league.

How come? He's currently tearing it up in Italy. 25 goals in Serie A is impressive.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #129: Apr 22, 2011 05:45:11 pm
      Shevchenko had how many?

His game wouldn't suit. I guarantee he'd fail and at 20m+.
      MiciG91
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,664 posts | 38 
      Reply #130: Apr 22, 2011 05:45:33 pm
      Cavani is quality i don't see how you could possibly come to that conclusion how often do you watch him ??
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      Reply #131: Apr 22, 2011 05:53:46 pm
      So comparing Shevchenko to Cavani.

Big difference is when Shevchenko moved to Chelsea, he was towards the end of his career and his decline had started IMO. Cavani is a lot younger and he'll have more time to adjust to the pace of the premeir league.

Although Cavani would cost 30 million + IMO.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,356 posts | 8614 
      Reply #132: Apr 22, 2011 05:57:38 pm
      So comparing Shevchenko to Cavani.

Big difference is when Shevchenko moved to Chelsea, he was towards the end of his career and his decline had started IMO. Cavani a lot younger and he'll have more time to adjust to the pace of the premeir league.

Although Cavani would cost 30 million + IMO.

What's Forlan's excuse then? Absolute dog sh*t in this country for the mancs, moves to Spain and turns into a goal machine.

Some players find it hard to adjust to the English game.
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      Reply #133: Apr 22, 2011 06:08:46 pm
      True Forlan was awful. And your right, not every player adjusts to the English game but I feel Cavani would do well in the premier league.

Was merely pointing out why I felt Shevchenko failed in England.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,356 posts | 8614 
      Reply #134: Apr 22, 2011 06:11:48 pm
      Was merely pointing out why I felt Shevchenko failed in England.

Don't forget not actually being wanted by the Chelsea manager at the time!
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      Reply #135: Apr 22, 2011 06:17:58 pm
      Yes if was a well known fact that Roman Abramavich brought Shevchenko without Jose Mourinho's consent. Then he was forced to play a different formation to try to fit all his players in. That was defiantly a reason why he failed in England.
      *HighAsAKuyt*
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 89 posts |
      Reply #136: Apr 22, 2011 06:29:18 pm
      I dont know why, but i have this feeling that Hulk would absolutely Destroy in the Premier League. The guy has the power of Drogba and the skills of Ronaldo. Just hope he doesnt go to Tottenham because he is all they need to go the next level. Id fancy Suarez-Carol-Hulk myself like...
      As for Cavani, i feel he is a very good player however very overated. If it had not been for E.Lavezzi he wouldnt have half as much goals as he has this season.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,421 posts | 2836 
      Reply #137: Apr 23, 2011 01:19:00 am
      Lavezzi carries Cavani in a way, if you watch Napoli this season. Take Lavezzi out and Cavani would have a very ordinary goals tally. Don't think he'd be great in this league.

Quick Reply