Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 15th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

Barcelona planning to re-sign Rodolfo Borrell

Read 11131 times
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Barcelona planning to re-sign Rodolfo Borrell
      Apr 05, 2011 03:50:50 pm
      Barcelona are attempting to re-sign Liverpool academy coach Rodolfo Borrell.

Borrell ended his 13-year association with the Catalan giants in summer 2009 to become a core part of Rafael Benitez's new-look youth set-up, and the sterling work undertaken at the club's centre of operations in Kirkby has not gone unnoticed by his former employers.

During his time at the La Masia academy, he oversaw the development of youngsters at all levels and has been credited with Lionel Messi and Gerard Pique's graduation to the first team ranks at the Nou Camp as well as that of Everton's Mikel Arteta and Arsenal captain Cesc Fabregas

Liverpool's under-18 side have remained in contention for Premier Academy League title and closed the gap on leaders Everton with a 2-1 win over Manchester United yesterday.

But Barcelona remain hopeful of tempting the Spaniard back to La Masia after almost two years of nurturing Anfield's future, despite seeing two previous overtures twice rejected.

A third offer from the runaway La Liga leaders remains on the table but the ambitious Borrell is currently settled on Merseyside and understood to prefer continuing his rise through Liverpool's coaching ranks by progressing to the role of reserve team manager in the near future.

Pep Segura, Liverpool's Academy Technical Director and one of Borrell's former cohorts at La Masia, is expected to relinquish control of the club's second string at the end of the current season, having taken temporary charge following John McMahon's departure last month.

http://www.clickliverpool.com/sport/liverpool-fc/1212935-exclusive-barcelona-planning-fresh-swoop-for-liverpool-fc-man.html
      « Last Edit: Apr 05, 2011 05:16:18 pm by redkenny, Reason: Added text from article »
      mulki
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 124 posts | -2 
      • You"ll Never Walk Alone
      Re: Barcelona planning to re-sign Rodolfo Borrell
      Reply #1: Apr 05, 2011 03:56:30 pm
      No No No No NO NO No No No No......
      REDLANCE
      • Forum Ian St John

• 451 posts |
      Reply #2: Apr 05, 2011 04:01:43 pm
      HANDS OFF  >:(

xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #3: Apr 05, 2011 04:03:28 pm
      Doubt Rodolfo would want to go back anyway.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,683 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4: Apr 05, 2011 04:04:21 pm
      Forget your massive transfer packet John Henry. If nothing else keep Rodolfo and Segura. That's your first priority then get the players in
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #5: Apr 05, 2011 04:09:05 pm
      Keep at all costs.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Reply #6: Apr 05, 2011 04:10:59 pm
      Could be some truth in the article, borrell was pretty pissed off when guardiola was given the job over him and now with guardiola stating next season will be his last season at the camp nou then borrell would seem the ideal candidate.

Fingers crossed.

This was the scenario i was afraid of when Rafa was replaced.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #7: Apr 05, 2011 04:17:21 pm
      Could be some truth in the article, borrell was pretty pissed off when guardiola was given the job over him and now with guardiola stating next season will be his last season at the camp nou then borrell would seem the ideal candidate.

Fingers crossed.

Careful Shabs, that bold comment may be seen as incitement to riot. ;)

As regards Rodolfo and Segura, if NESV do everything to keep them and they still leave it obviously means their heart wasn't at Anfield. I hope it is, they're a massive part of the rebuild.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #8: Apr 05, 2011 04:18:33 pm
      Hope there's no truth in this.  He's doing a grand job with the Academy.
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #9: Apr 05, 2011 04:24:25 pm

Luis Enrique is gonna get that job, so unless the want him as the 'B' team coach?

Hand off Barca, ye can have Masch all ye want, but Rodolof is ours!!
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #10: Apr 05, 2011 04:24:44 pm

Fingers crossed.

I don't think he'd be the ideal candidate to take over from Guardiola. I think Luis Enrique who currently manages their B-team will take over from Guardiola. He's a former player and doing a really good job, promoted with their B-team to the Spanish 2nd division, and is currently in 4th place in the 2nd division.

edit: luis beat me to it.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Reply #11: Apr 05, 2011 04:27:06 pm
      Sorry guys forgot about enrique.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,683 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #12: Apr 05, 2011 04:27:51 pm
      A third offer from the runaway La Liga leaders remains on the table but the ambitious Borrell is currently settled on Merseyside and understood to prefer continuing his rise through Liverpool's coaching ranks by progressing to the role of reserve team manager in the near future.

I think we should look to promoting him to reserve team coach at some point and then get back to promoting from within. Raise him up to coach beside Kenny with a view to replacing the King somewhere down the line. I'm talking in the long term here before anyone gives out.
      YNWABairn
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      • Anti Modern Football
      Reply #13: Apr 05, 2011 04:36:09 pm
      C'mon now Barca, give everyone else a chance!  ;D
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #14: Apr 05, 2011 04:38:40 pm
      I was looking at Barcelona's B-team just now. Interestingly enough, they actually buy players for their B-team. I assume it's to raise the level of competition for their upcoming youth players. Though their reserve team playing in the actual league has to help aswell. Imagine our reserves playing in the Championship. We're loaning out Pacheco to a Championship team while they always have all their upcoming players playing at that level.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,683 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #15: Apr 05, 2011 04:44:56 pm
      I was looking at Barcelona's B-team just now. Interestingly enough, they actually buy players for their B-team. I assume it's to raise the level of competition for their upcoming youth players. Though their reserve team playing in the actual league has to help aswell. Imagine our reserves playing in the Championship. We're loaning out Pacheco to a Championship team while they always have all their upcoming players playing at that level.

I always wondered why we can't do something similar. Would be a massive boost to have a youth team that can't get promoted to the Premiership. Put the top six or seven youth players every year through to it and bring up our own managers through the system too. Would give you the production line required to promote in house and develop a successful youth system.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #16: Apr 05, 2011 04:54:21 pm
      No Barca, you're not having him back.  We need him more than you do.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #17: Apr 05, 2011 04:55:25 pm
      This was something that Rafa complained about when he was with us. He wanted to have a B Team as Barca do but it is against FA regulations. Instead we have to loan youngsters out to teams that may not play the same style as us just so that they can play competatively. It would be great for youth development if we could have a B Team.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #18: Apr 05, 2011 05:31:25 pm
      As much as having a B team competing in the lower leagues would benefit us, I'm not sure I actually like the idea. It's a bit of disrespect for the clubs in those divisions, some of them with centenary history.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,683 posts | 3904 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #19: Apr 05, 2011 05:36:11 pm
      How is it disrespectful. Alternatively we purchase a struggling championship team and implement our structure on it.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #20: Apr 05, 2011 05:36:59 pm
      If they had to start at the bottom and work their way up on merit alone, that would be fairer. Then again, I suppose you could argue that they'd have the advantage of huge financial support. Maybe that's why Barca have to buy their players from the B Team. I'd be interested to know how the transfer fees are worked out.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #21: Apr 05, 2011 05:37:13 pm
      As much as having a B team competing in the lower leagues would benefit us, I'm not sure I actually like the idea. It's a bit of disrespect for the clubs in those divisions, some of them with centenary history.

Agreed, the world doesn't revolve around Liverpool.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #22: Apr 05, 2011 05:38:35 pm
      Agreed, the world doesn't revolve around Liverpool.

Doesn't it, since when?  :f_tongueincheek:

Quick Reply