Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D5 L8

Hard Disk Corrupted

Read 4809 times
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Hard Disk Corrupted
      Apr 07, 2011 04:30:40 pm
      Last night in a tragic accident, my dog knocked my PS3 onto our marble floor from around 3 feet.

The PlayStation was on half way through a Fifa11 match but no longer worked.

It now says:

Hard disks file system is corrupted and will be restored

But after getting to 100%, it just went back to the same thing above. Now last time my PS3 broke I had to wait a month and pay €150 for a new one but I was wondering could I replace the part myself.

Is it that the hard disk could be replaced or does anyone have some well needed advice :(
      pudding
      • On Trial

• 4 posts |
      Re: Hard Disk Corrupted
      Reply #1: Apr 07, 2011 04:35:59 pm
      It's happened me before mate. What you have to do is hold down the on button for about 30 seconds. Then, open and close the Disk drive 3 times. On the 4th occasion, put the cd in. Should be working perfectly then mate. Working in computer shops have thought me well :)
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #2: Apr 07, 2011 04:56:38 pm
      It's happened me before mate. What you have to do is hold down the on button for about 30 seconds. Then, open and close the Disk drive 3 times. On the 4th occasion, put the cd in. Should be working perfectly then mate. Working in computer shops have thought me well :)
      But the playstation fell from a height on to a very hard floor.

Surely something inside has been damaged/broken?
      pudding
      • On Trial

• 4 posts |
      Reply #3: Apr 07, 2011 05:01:00 pm
      No, if it fell and was fully broken you wouldn't have received that message. Have you tried what I told you to do?
      KingKenYNWA
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #4: Apr 07, 2011 05:17:11 pm
      The heat sensor is probably the most common, as its job is to shut down when it detects that the Ps3's temperature has risen above acceptable levels. If it malfunctions, it may very well report that the Ps3 is ALWAYS above the acceptable levels and simply shut it down regardless of its true status. If this happens then you will most likely hear three beeps before the system comes to a complete stop if you put it in the freezer for a half an hour it should be back to normalm hope this helps :)
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #5: Apr 07, 2011 05:23:08 pm
      The heat sensor is probably the most common, as its job is to shut down when it detects that the Ps3's temperature has risen above acceptable levels. If it malfunctions, it may very well report that the Ps3 is ALWAYS above the acceptable levels and simply shut it down regardless of its true status. If this happens then you will most likely hear three beeps before the system comes to a complete stop if you put it in the freezer for a half an hour it should be back to normalm hope this helps :)

Won't be putting my PS3 in the freezer! ;)

Did you just join the forum to make me completely F**k it up?
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #6: Apr 07, 2011 05:28:45 pm

'Tis how I recovered the data from my corrupted computer hard drive, now I'm no PS3 hard drive expert but the logic/reasoining of it all makes sense.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #7: Apr 07, 2011 05:47:12 pm
      'Tis how I recovered the data from my corrupted computer hard drive, now I'm no PS3 hard drive expert but the logic/reasoining of it all makes sense.
      You sure???
      LFCexiled
      Reply #8: Apr 07, 2011 05:53:06 pm

Google it, it's an old IT way of getting data off a hard drive. I wouldn't really advise putting the whole PS3 in though, a lot of electronics to get damp.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #9: Apr 07, 2011 05:54:56 pm

Have you tried Pudding's suggestion yet? Surely that's worth a shot first.
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #10: Apr 07, 2011 05:56:37 pm

Yes mate, deadly serious.  April fools was a week ago.

Google it, it's an old IT way of getting data off a hard drive. I wouldn't really advise putting the whole PS3 in though, a lot of electronics to get damp.

I did say I was no PS3 hard drive expert (so I wasn't advising it) but in regards to computer hard-drives, which are different to PS3 hard-drives in the sense that they can be detached, it works a treat ;)
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #11: Apr 07, 2011 09:05:32 pm
      I did say I was no PS3 hard drive expert (so I wasn't advising it) but in regards to computer hard-drives, which are different to PS3 hard-drives in the sense that they can be detached, it works a treat ;)

Ps3 hard drives can be removed too, they are basically just a sata laptop hard drive.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #12: Apr 07, 2011 09:07:20 pm
      Ps3 hard drives can be removed too, they are basically just a sata laptop hard drive.
      If I buy a new hard drive, should it work I wonder?
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #13: Apr 07, 2011 09:09:18 pm
      If I buy a new hard drive, should it work I wonder?

I wouldn't imagine so mate as you have to store the operating system of the ps3 onto a external hard drive first and if you can't get on to do that you are pretty much up shits creek without a paddle.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #14: Apr 07, 2011 09:13:31 pm
      Hold the power button down until the system turns on and turns back back off then let the button go. Then hold the button down again it will beep once then beep twice quickly. Then let it go. It will tell you to plug in the usb cord and connect the controller then press the ps button. After that a menu will pop up, click NUMBER 5 (It says restore ps3 system or something) agree with everything it says and you will have to reset the date and time and all that and then its fixed!
      MiciG91
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,664 posts | 38 
      Reply #15: Apr 07, 2011 09:16:02 pm
      Put it in the washing machine !
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #16: Apr 07, 2011 09:19:21 pm

See I told you I wasn't an expert, I didn't know that.  Never bothered taking one apart to find out, never had any problems with my PS3.  Lucky me :D
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #17: Apr 07, 2011 09:23:57 pm
      I had to open my PS3 once, when you turned it on it had a red flashing light.

Can you just replace the hard drive?
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #18: Apr 07, 2011 09:27:06 pm
      I had to open my PS3 once, when you turned it on it had a red flashing light.

Can you just replace the hard drive?

Yeh but you need to store the operating system to an external hard drive first, say you have a 40gb, you can upgrade it to a 520gb if you want.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #19: Apr 07, 2011 09:44:06 pm
      Put it on the washing line.
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #20: Apr 07, 2011 09:51:20 pm
      Put it in the washing machine !

I've heard both options but apparently flushing it down the toilet works a treat.

My friend Mr X. Box told me. 
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #21: Apr 07, 2011 10:16:44 pm
      But if you flush it down the bog then you're probably gonna have to put it in the washing machine and then lash it on the line.

Maybe the cooker might be the best bet?
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #22: Apr 07, 2011 10:38:30 pm
      True, true. If it's a gas cooker, it might even dry out quicker.

Quick Reply