Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 15th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P13 W6 D5 L2

Do we need a Left Back

Read 10212 times
      Junior_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 926 posts |
      Re: Do we need a Left Back
      Reply #46: Apr 19, 2011 09:23:55 pm
      See Steve Clarke work wonders with Emiliano when he gets back :)
      sarbz
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 125 posts |
      Reply #47: Apr 20, 2011 03:19:45 am
      I would go for Baines or Enrique, if we're going for a player outside of the premier league then I would go for Coentrao, he might be expensive for a left back but he would give us a great dimension down the left flank.

I would love Baines to join us but I don't see him becoming a Red. I think he is a very loyal blue. His delivery of a cross is quite a joy to watch, I must say. The way he whips it in with such space and curve, I'd love to be on the end of his crosses, he is rarely wasteful.

Thommo was quoted as saying recently that Enrique deal is a done deal...I wonder.

Last I heard about Coentrao was this :

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1373530/Fabio-Coentrao-turns-Manchester-United-Chelsea-Liverpool-looks-set-join-Bayern-Munich.html

If we got any of those three I would be happy, mostly if it was Baines. He is the business.
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #48: Apr 20, 2011 03:46:41 am
      I would love Baines to join us but I don't see him becoming a Red. I think he is a very loyal blue. His delivery of a cross is quite a joy to watch, I must say. The way he whips it in with such space and curve, I'd love to be on the end of his crosses, he is rarely wasteful.

Thommo was quoted as saying recently that Enrique deal is a done deal...I wonder.

Last I heard about Coentrao was this :

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1373530/Fabio-Coentrao-turns-Manchester-United-Chelsea-Liverpool-looks-set-join-Bayern-Munich.html

If we got any of those three I would be happy, mostly if it was Baines. He is the business.

Baines is a boyhood LFC fan by the way.  IMO, still the only LB worth looking at in the EPL.  Enrique is a good choice but given we've got so many HG players who need shipping out (Konchesky, Cole, Darby) compounded with the fact that Jones is probably on his way out too, there will be HG-related gaps in our squad.  

LB has been our biggest problem all season IMO and if we're going to get Enrique who is a good choice, get Baines who is slightly better IMO and HG.  If we're sick of F***ing around with good players, get a great player of which there are none in the EPL.  Left backs are currently really hard to come by, there seems to be a huge shortage in world football - if we can splash the cash and get a great one, we're set for many years to come.

I'm always of the opinion that you should be more aggressive in your pursuit of left-sided fullbacks and left-sided wingers because if you get a great one, people will pay a premium for them because there aren't as many around (relative to right sided players).

edit: The answer is undoubtedly yes.  How people think otherwise is beyond me.
      sarbz
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 125 posts |
      Reply #49: Apr 21, 2011 03:39:50 pm
      Baines is a boyhood LFC fan by the way.  IMO, still the only LB worth looking at in the EPL.  Enrique is a good choice but given we've got so many HG players who need shipping out (Konchesky, Cole, Darby) compounded with the fact that Jones is probably on his way out too, there will be HG-related gaps in our squad. 

LB has been our biggest problem all season IMO and if we're going to get Enrique who is a good choice, get Baines who is slightly better IMO and HG.  If we're sick of f**king around with good players, get a great player of which there are none in the EPL.  Left backs are currently really hard to come by, there seems to be a huge shortage in world football - if we can splash the cash and get a great one, we're set for many years to come.

I'm always of the opinion that you should be more aggressive in your pursuit of left-sided fullbacks and left-sided wingers because if you get a great one, people will pay a premium for them because there aren't as many around (relative to right sided players).

edit: The answer is undoubtedly yes.  How people think otherwise is beyond me.

Vitez, if we can get him, I'd gladly be wrong. Moyes will want a king's ransom for him though.

Incidentally in assists - only Nani, Fabregas and Drogba have been credited with more assists than Baines in the EPL. Furthermore Baines' 11 assists dwarf our entire defence who have 3 collectively. Comparatively to our midfield he also fares well with Kuyt on 6, Gerrard and Mereiles on 5 each.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #50: Apr 21, 2011 09:18:43 pm
      Do we need a left back? Nah, we have Paul Konchesky for that.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #51: Apr 21, 2011 09:36:36 pm
      What exactly did Thommo say about Jose Enrique? That he has 100% signed?
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #52: Apr 21, 2011 09:43:13 pm
      What exactly did Thommo say about Jose Enrique? That he has 100% signed?
      'As far as I know it's a done deal.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,372 posts | 1540 
      Reply #53: Apr 22, 2011 01:48:27 am
      Nothing too serious, just might need cover for Robinson now.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #54: Apr 22, 2011 10:24:27 am
      Enrique is perfect. Old enough so that when Robinson is ready he can step in when Enrique is at the back end of his career.

On the question, i think it's vital we get a left back. Aurelio must go, Insua may go, so then it leaves a right back playing left back and two young players as our only options on the right. We need experience in defence. You don't win things with fullbacks the combined age of under 40. Enrique for the left, Johnson for the right and when they're done we have Flanagan and Robinson to come in fully blooded for the first team and able to hold their positions down for a decade.
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #55: Apr 25, 2011 03:45:53 pm
      Yes we do.  Not sure who I would like to see, but would prefer someone already in the PL, to a relatively unknown quantity from another league.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #56: Apr 25, 2011 06:18:52 pm
       We probably do need a left back, but I've been hugely impressed with this kid Robinson so far. He's got the gears, gets up and down, is tallish for a full back and can play a bit too. He's a better player now than Insua ever was for us in my view, and we should be tying him down on a long contract at the first opportunity. I saw on the TV that Lee Dixon was bigging up Flanaghan (who's also decent) but I really like Robinson out of the two.
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #57: Apr 25, 2011 06:26:21 pm
      i would love to see baines in there as first choice with robinson and insua as second and third.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,614 posts | 7142 
      Reply #58: Apr 25, 2011 06:40:03 pm
      I take Flanagan as a replacement for Fabio a gifted but fragile player. Johnson and Kelly at rightback and now it seems that Enrique(?) is favourite for signing .
      We need a centre back and a wide player which is a lot less than we all thought 4 months ago having listen to Roy tell us our squad was crap.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #59: Apr 25, 2011 06:47:01 pm
      I take Flanagan as a replacement for Fabio a gifted but fragile player. Johnson and Kelly at rightback and now it seems that Enrique(?) is favourite for signing .
      We need a centre back and a wide player which is a lot less than we all thought 4 months ago having listen to Roy tell us our squad was crap.

Not sure how Flanno can replace Aurelio considering they play on different flanks? I agree that Aurelio needs to move on, however unfortunate it is he can't get fit considering his talents.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #60: Apr 25, 2011 06:49:24 pm
      they also said that kenny was out of management too long ,he took the team that hodgsons said was crap and has transformed them almost overnight.with a few adjustments the team could be perfected without spending crazy.

Quick Reply