Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 13th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P16 W7 D4 L5

Best referee?

Read 5326 times
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Best referee?
      May 18, 2011 01:48:20 am
      Who do you think it is?

If you say Webb, you need to find a manure forum.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Re: Best referee?
      Reply #1: May 18, 2011 01:53:40 am
      Personally like Alan Wiley.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #2: May 18, 2011 09:39:00 am
       Anf ref that has the guts to make his own decisions and not be swayed by the liked of Ferguson will do me nicely.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #3: May 18, 2011 09:40:19 am
      The chap who had throat cancer.
      samylfc
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 392 posts |
      Reply #4: May 18, 2011 11:05:57 am
      ..He was..and if I recall right, back in the time of his retirement from Serie A, there were talks for him to come refeering in the Premier League, shame this never happen, he would have put the standards right up there..

For now, there are all as bad as each other really..I can't name any good one.
      HoyaRed
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 629 posts | 26 
      • YNWA
      Reply #5: May 18, 2011 11:46:46 am
      Who do you think it is?

If you say Webb, you need to find a manure forum.

Yea, but he's the best when it comes to trying to f**king kill us.  ;D

Allan Wiley for me.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #6: May 18, 2011 11:51:50 am
      Alan Wiley was the one who officiated our 4-1 win against the Mancs in 2008/2009. He got all the decisions spot on in that game, IMO. The two penalties, the sending off of Vidic.

Never liked Howard Webb, Mike Riley and Steve Bennett. Funny they all were so into the Mancs.
      Dave70
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,536 posts | 76 
      Reply #7: May 18, 2011 01:57:30 pm
      As samylfc already posted Pierluigi Collina. Shame he's retired, as he always is the first ref that springs to my mind when it comes to good refs.
      KopiteKid
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts |
      • Scouse Solidarność
      Reply #8: May 18, 2011 02:41:51 pm
      Mark Halsey, always thought he was a great ref and he was sorely missed. Always gives the game a chance to flow, and he spoke to the players respectfully like a human being. Always got a smile on his face, as do the players.
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #9: May 18, 2011 03:52:33 pm
      Collina was the most overhyped referee in the history of referees.  Distinctly average.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #10: May 18, 2011 04:02:45 pm
      Steven Gerrard mentioned how he likes Mark Clattenberg but I'm not sure about that guy.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #11: May 18, 2011 04:25:00 pm
      Steven Gerrard mentioned how he likes Mark Clattenberg but I'm not sure about that guy.
      Wonder why? Remember this one :
      Perhaps Clattenburg's fiercest criticism in top-flight refereeing followed his officiating of the Merseyside derby between Everton and Liverpool on 20 October 2007. The first notable incident involving Clattenburg was the award of a penalty kick for an apparent professional foul by Everton's Tony Hibbert on Liverpool's Steven Gerrard. Clattenburg initially appeared to take out his yellow card to book Hibbert but after an interaction, albeit brief, with Gerrard, Clattenburg changed his mind and issued Hibbert a red card.
        :f_tongueincheek:

Never liked Howard Webb, Mike Riley and Steve Bennett. Funny they all were so into the Mancs.
      Anyone who thinks Webb is biased towards the Mancs should have seen that skinny c**t, Riley. The most blatantly biased ref I've ever seen. Hated him!

Collina was the most overhyped referee in the history of referees.  Distinctly average.
      Wish I could remember the opposition but we had a CL game against one of the big European teams and we had Collina as ref. I was delighted because I thought he'd be fair at least. I was wrong, he fell for all of their tricks and gave us nothing all game.
      Dexter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,279 posts | 116 
      Reply #12: May 18, 2011 04:49:23 pm
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #13: May 18, 2011 05:09:14 pm
      Phil Dowd for me. Takes no sh*t from players, and if they do have a go at him, he has a go at them back ;D.

Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #14: May 18, 2011 05:11:04 pm
      Nooo, not Phil Dowd. He loves to be the centre of attention.
      I've seen him about town, he lives near me.
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #15: May 18, 2011 05:12:31 pm
      Wish I could remember the opposition but we had a CL game against one of the big European teams and we had Collina as ref. I was delighted because I thought he'd be fair at least. I was wrong, he fell for all of their tricks and gave us nothing all game.

Modus operandi for Collina.  The best ref in the world at the moment IMO is Marco Rodriguez (the one that looks like Dracula) - he takes no sh*t, when he tells players to F**k off and stop crowding around him, he taps his pocket twice and if you've not fu**ed off, he'll start brandishing cards, when players dive he reaches for his pocket.  Strict as F**k but let's the game flow just enough.  

In the EPL, there's no such thing as the best referee as they're all horrible.  Easily the worst standard of refereeing in any of the big five leagues but if you held a gun to my head and asked me to pick one it's probably Andre Marriner (F**k me, that's saying something isn't it?).

edit: I can understand why Marco Rodriguez might not be everyone's favourite ref, but I love the way he does his business.

double edit: Martin Atkinson is probably worth a shout but he still fails at the task of remaining impartial in Liverpool games since that League Cup game against Arsenal a few years back.  If LFC aren't involved, probably worth a shout.
      « Last Edit: May 18, 2011 05:26:32 pm by vitez »
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #16: May 18, 2011 05:42:26 pm
      Wonder why? Remember this one :
      Perhaps Clattenburg's fiercest criticism in top-flight refereeing followed his officiating of the Merseyside derby between Everton and Liverpool on 20 October 2007. The first notable incident involving Clattenburg was the award of a penalty kick for an apparent professional foul by Everton's Tony Hibbert on Liverpool's Steven Gerrard. Clattenburg initially appeared to take out his yellow card to book Hibbert but after an interaction, albeit brief, with Gerrard, Clattenburg changed his mind and issued Hibbert a red card.
        :f_tongueincheek:

Hahaha, yeah. Well, in his autobiography, Stevie did mention how he can talk to Mark easily. That's how we got the penalty kick!

Yeah, Mike Riley was super biased. I think he gave the Mancs more penalty kicks at OT than at any place.

I actually forgot about Phil Dowd. He was ref at Anfield when we won 3-1, right? Liked how he just stood there with his arms folded, observing what the players were going to do before making a decision.

Alan Wiley all day for me. We should sign him.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #17: May 18, 2011 05:45:19 pm
      Nooo, not Phil Dowd. He loves to be the centre of attention.
      I've seen him about town, he lives near me.

I can imagine him being a bit like that, but I like him, the closest to a rugby ref we have in this country, IE he will not tolerate persistent questioning of his decisions.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #18: May 18, 2011 05:47:24 pm
      I actually forgot about Phil Dowd. He was ref at Anfield when we won 3-1, right? Liked how he just stood there with his arms folded, observing what the players were going to do before making a decision.

Yeah thats him. Rafa Benitez wasn't a huge admirer though, when asked about his performance in the game against SPurs a few years back, he rubbed his glasses to suggest he is blind  :lmao:
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #19: May 18, 2011 06:57:59 pm
      Easy, step forward clive thomas...........ask any evertonian :f_whistle: :lmao: >:D
      gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #20: May 18, 2011 07:14:03 pm
      Think the standard of referees at present is appalling so will say none of the feckers.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #21: May 18, 2011 07:19:24 pm
      Think the standard of referees at present is appalling so will say none of the feckers.
      Agreed. Referees have a hard time and particularly now we have so many camera around to scrutinize everything they do. They have to make a split second decision and then get berated for it by some cock in the studio who's just watched a slow motion replay from 6 different angles. That said, I think the standard lately in the EPL has been pretty poor and a lot of BIG decisions have been made incorrectly. I'm not particularly impressed with any individual referee.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #22: May 19, 2011 12:37:30 am
      Best refs are the ones you don't notice.  Far too many refs are aware of the cameras gaze and play up to it, that being said, we don't have any outstanding refs at the moment, but we do judge them far too harshly.

Quick Reply