Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 4th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P18 W10 D4 L4

Benayoun: Already fed up with first team chances?

Read 6612 times
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Benayoun: Already fed up with first team chances?
      Aug 22, 2007 03:06:33 am
      LINK

Yossi Benayoun is already concerned about his lack of opportunities at Liverpool and "will think about moving to a medium-sized team" if the situation does not improve, according to his agent.

Liverpool have played only three competitive games this season but the Israel international is the second Liverpool player - after Peter Crouch - to complain about not being involved enough in Rafael Benítez's plans. Benayoun was left out of the squad for the Premier League games against Aston Villa and Chelsea but started and played 59 minutes in the Champions League qualifier against Toulouse last week.

"If Yossi won't be involved enough we will think of moving to a medium-sized team," Benayoun's agent, Ronen Katzav, said in a radio interview in Israel. "When we first met with Rafa Benítez, he asked for a lot of patience since there is a huge squad at Liverpool.

"We don't analyse each match. Yossi has patience and motivation and he will get his chance. When you are taking a decision to move to Liverpool, you are prepared for all possibilities and Yossi decided to follow his heart. The target was to try and integrate in the team and I'm sure he will play a lot. Naturally, Yossi wants to be in the squad and knows he has a lot of work to do but if he won't play for a long period we will think again."

The Israeli media has been stunned by Benayoun's omission from the Liverpool squads but Benítez has asked his players to be patient. "It's the same with Jermaine Pennant, Javier Mascherano, Yossi Benayoun, Sebastián Leto and Lucas Leiva," he said last week. "I can only use 11 [players] - and I cannot have more than 18 players in a squad for a European match unfortunately.

"Every player knows they have team-mates to consider. They're professionals and they need to be ready for each game. I'll always have the same answer."

OK.  It is still only early doors.  And we have players whining about not getting an automatic place in the squad.

You know, players like this really piss me off.  Players that sign for teams and expect to walk straight into the line up week in, week out. 

Since he arrived I only thought of him as a squad player.  Isn't a magnificent player.  But does his job in his position.

For all I care he can go - he doesn't have the motivation to fight for his place like everyone else has to. 

Your thoughts on this?
      U-Borat
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 398 posts | -38 
      Re: Benayoun: Already fed up with first team chances?
      Reply #1: Aug 22, 2007 08:10:08 am
      Quite a joke.
      I expected better from him.
      Richobaz
      • Only posts when we're losing...
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #2: Aug 22, 2007 09:10:28 am
      If this is genuine, then he can **** right off!

He's lucky to have been given the chance to play for Liverpool - no other top side was in for him.

Same goes for Crouch - anyone moaning after 10 games let alone 2 - can **** off.

This is our first season with a realistic chance of lifting the league, and we don't need ****s in the squad!
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #3: Aug 22, 2007 09:16:19 am
      F**k me, I actually agree with Richobaz on something!

He's absolutely right, if he really is saying this then he's not the type of player we need. Last season I feel we made the mistake of trying to throw in too many of our nwew signings at once, and I'm glad Rafa isn't doing the same again this season. He'll get his chance, he just needs to bide his time & grab the opportunity with both hands when it arrives. I'm not gonna get on his case too much just yet, as we all know agents comments don't always reflect their clients views.
      Richobaz
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #4: Aug 22, 2007 09:28:40 am
      fu*k me, I actually agree with Richobaz on something!

He's absolutely right, if he really is saying this then he's not the type of player we need. Last season I feel we made the mistake of trying to throw in too many of our nwew signings at once, and I'm glad Rafa isn't doing the same again this season. He'll get his chance, he just needs to bide his time & grab the opportunity with both hands when it arrives. I'm not gonna get on his case too much just yet, as we all know agents comments don't always reflect their clients views.

You better sit down...if you carry on doing that, you'll join the minus gang!  Not a nice place to be!
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,302 posts | 2846 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #5: Aug 22, 2007 09:49:44 am
      hang on lads before we run yossi out of town it could be another case of an agent acting the pr**k lets not judge yossi just yet 
      TotheMax
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 404 posts | 22 
      Reply #6: Aug 22, 2007 09:50:21 am
      Come on, does anybody really believe this story? Yossi knew Rafa before he signed, and must have known that Rafa changed his starting 11 for 99 consecutive games. And he knew the Liverpool squad before he came here, cause he has played against Liverpool i the PL, so he must have been aware of the competition for places.

So he would be discrasefully stupid to make his agent say those things. Especially after two PL games, where he was not involved and one CL where he was on the pitch for 59 minutes (his first CL game and one of the reasons why he came here I suppose).

I don't believe it as well as I dont believe the story about Crouch. If those players don't play much this season and the storys turn up in january or june, then I may start believing them. But after three games? No way.
      Richobaz
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #7: Aug 22, 2007 10:02:49 am
      The story is very plausable...and I'll tell you why!

1. He's highly regarded in Israel.

2. He's probably big-upped his move over there.

3. And now he can't even make the bench.

4. He's obvously not Rafa's preferred option for the right.

So the story could well be true.

BUT, surely he knew...it was never going to be that easy to break into the reds starting XI?
      Court LFC
      • Started Topic

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #8: Aug 22, 2007 10:40:24 am
      Surely if this isn't true I think he will actually come out and say he was misquoted by his agent, the newspapers, etc.

If this is true however, his attitude F***ing well stinks.  And he can rot on the bench for all I care.  Coming out with stories like this 2 games into the season.  Yes, TWO games into the season.  He can do whatever, go on loan, or transfer.  It's no sweat off my back. 

I want players with burning desire to play in the Liverpool shirt.  Players that fight for their places.  He obviously isn't in this category.
      Njadula
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 41 posts |
      Reply #9: Aug 22, 2007 11:57:33 am
      Come on, does anybody really believe this story?

I really get worried when agents turn spokesmen. He starts saying things "we will move". No comment from Yossi himself?????????????Yossi has come out and said before he is expecting a tough challenge in making it into the Liverpool team, hell everyone is, its a big tough squad and all one has to do is train hard. It is a long and gruelling campaign so hold your horses lad. I still think we should hold on to the insults against Yossi until we know for sure it's not the agent and the media (Israeli or otherwise) playing games with us here, trying to create instability that is not there!
      Richobaz
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #10: Aug 22, 2007 12:20:42 pm
      Come on everyone:

"YOSSI OUT...YOSSI OUT...YOU'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH...YOSSI OUT"!
      Stu503
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 111 posts |
      Reply #11: Aug 22, 2007 12:21:10 pm
      Try not to forget that these statements don't come out of thin air.  A reporter may well have asked the agent that if Yossi were to be involved only one game in three for the whole season then would he look for a move.  These kind of things can only be fully understood in context.  The agent goes on to say that Rafa explained the rotation system and need for patience before he signed, so i don't think anyone could listen to that and then sign expecting to be an instant regular.  Slow news day me thinks.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #12: Aug 22, 2007 12:23:25 pm
      Come on everyone:

"YOSSI OUT...YOSSI OUT...YOU'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH...YOSSI OUT"!

Right where is the user rating system!?!?
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #13: Aug 22, 2007 12:24:14 pm
      Wouldn't say kick Benayoun out unless he personally talks to Rafa about it, and we won't know about that so we can't judge. As has been said, it might just be the agent being a tw*t and trying to pressure the club into starting him. I think Benayoun should realise not many other top teams will give him this opportunity to win major medals, so I doubt he'll want to leave so soon.

And Stu's also right, it might be taken out of context. These things so often are.
      Richobaz
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #14: Aug 22, 2007 12:25:05 pm
      Right where is the user rating system!?!?

Now you can see how Ive got up too -11 !

You'll be there soon Ra Ra !
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #15: Aug 22, 2007 12:37:36 pm
      Now you can see how Ive got up too -11 !

Just be happy that the rating system is not on, because it'd be a lot worse for you

As for Benayoun I wouldn't take those words too seriously! When he comes out and says it himself thats when he should be questioned! He is a good player and no good player wants to be sitting in the stands in the first two Premiership games.. but this is Liverpool, a no pushover team
      « Last Edit: Aug 22, 2007 12:40:50 pm by Ra Ra Rafa »
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #16: Aug 22, 2007 12:52:23 pm
      H e must have knew befor ehe signed he would be a regular starter so why moan about it he should bide his time and take his chance when it comes.
      Saffi 7
      • Forum David Johnson

• 225 posts | 17 
      • "...that's why they paid 26 million for him..."
      Reply #17: Aug 22, 2007 12:52:56 pm
      Its only 2 games...the comments are a little ridiculous at this point. He does need to excercise patience, as initially advised by Rafa, and not get ahead of himself. Alot of people are saying that depth will go along way towards winning the league this (and every) season. We have this now, so an injured or player that doesn't perform will be benched for a player that is as good if not a little better.

Agents...
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #18: Aug 22, 2007 12:53:11 pm
      Really don't think there's much substance in sh*te such as this!  :o Until I hear it from the player's mouth, I would take anything from agent's with a pinch of salt!  :-\

Maybe a trick tactic by the agent to keep the Israel fans sweet! Or to try and guilt Rafa into including him into the squad! If the player has any nous, then he'll come out and rubbish these claims! For the good of himself and for Liverpool!
      Euro5
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 24 posts |
      • Come On You RED MEN
      Reply #19: Aug 22, 2007 07:43:06 pm
      LADS CHILL

i wouldn't believe all you here from agents and the media especially. this story is not even on sky sports or any where else "YET".
      i think its a complete fabrication and you might not hear anything else about it.

work it out, their is a possible 60-70 games to play for this season in all competion, thats about 20 more games than west ham.
      Rafa knows his game and benayoun will be used.

DONT WORRY YOSSI

TRUE LFC FANS STICK BY THEIR PLAYERS AND DONT RUBBISH THEM AFTER SOME SILLY STORY IN THE GAURDIAN OF ALL PAPERS

BE PATIENT LADS

Reepicheep
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,092 posts | 40 
      Reply #20: Aug 22, 2007 07:53:29 pm
      The Kid knew what the situation was at Anfield. He knew he wouldn't be starting every game and Rafa would have explained that to him before signing. Yoss's agent Katsav is known to be quite outspoken so I wouldn't read too much into this.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,279 posts | 8585 
      Reply #21: Aug 22, 2007 08:43:28 pm
      Surely Yossi would know that his agent would of spoken to the press - but will of course deny it!!

Maybe we could offer him in a player swap deal for Heinze

If this story is true I can see Yossi gone in the next transfer window - wanting to move to a medium-sized teaam - is this some admission that Liverpool could be too big a team for him

Personally don't think we would miss him I'd prefer to see Babel - think in the next few seasons this lads gonna be a star
      Antz
      • Forum Youth Player

• 14 posts |
      Reply #22: Aug 23, 2007 01:34:03 am
      I dont buy it, At least not to the scale its being  played at.

For starters any player will always be frustrated being benched, that shouldn't be counted as dis loyalty to the team but disappointment that he cant play a bigger role in its success besides its human nature to want to prove yourself so there will always be a speculation from anyone who wants to have a dig at him and lets be honest the media has a way off exaggerating things just a touch

I agree with Brian and Euro we haven't heard anything from the Lad, there is always two sides to a story and we haven't heard his yet so its no good slagging the guy off when in reality we dont know where he stands.

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #23: Aug 23, 2007 08:44:20 am
      Yeah i agree with most, not to read too much into it.
      He is a good player and he knows his time will come. I would prefer Luis though!
      REDMAN
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,314 posts |
      Reply #24: Aug 23, 2007 05:46:21 pm
      What did Benayoun expect?to walk straight- in to the leagues best team,hes now a small fish in a big pond.unlike at west ham where the opposite can be said.he will have to accept it just like the other players.
      superhans
      • Forum Youth Player

• 18 posts |
      Reply #25: Aug 24, 2007 03:49:11 pm
      Still I can see why hes gettin a bit annoyed.. he hasnt even been in the squad for a game yet has he? I think as the season goes on Babel and Benayoun will start to get more games..just like pennant and masherano did towards the end of last season.

I like the way Rafa is trying to blood his players into the team rather than sticking them straight into the starting 11 with the obvious exception of Torres.
      lizzieroz
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 325 posts |
      Reply #26: Aug 25, 2007 09:22:39 am
      I think this is all just agent hype.  If Yossi came on camera saying such things, I'd be very annoyed, and would think he's a tw*t, but I don't want to believe that any player signing for Liverpool would or could expect a place in the squad, let alone the team, because the whole world knows how unpredictable Rafa's selections are.

As has been said in the 'spine of the team' thread, there really are only three guaranteed names on the teamsheet, Pepe, Jamie, and Stevie, and even then they may be rotated against weaker opposition.

EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #27: Aug 25, 2007 09:26:52 am
      As has been said in the 'spine of the team' thread, there really are only three guaranteed names on the teamsheet

I'm sure Richobaz would have something to say about that :D
      lizzieroz
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 325 posts |
      Reply #28: Aug 25, 2007 09:30:15 am
      I'm sure Richobaz would have something to say about that :D

Very true  :D  :D
      Njadula
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 41 posts |
      Reply #29: Aug 27, 2007 11:36:16 am
      As has been said in the 'spine of the team' thread, there really are only three guaranteed names on the teamsheet, Pepe, Jamie, and Stevie, and even then they may be rotated against weaker opposition.

.................... and we always forget Finnan in that exclusive group, the most under rated but most consistent right back in the Premier League.
      Court LFC
      • Started Topic

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #30: Oct 01, 2007 10:20:59 am
      LINK

YOSSI: I'LL BE READY WHEN NEEDED

Yossi Benayoun today admitted he's happy to keep on playing the role of super sub for Rafael Benitez if it helps the Reds to more victories.
      Benayoun was the match-winner at Wigan on Saturday when he came off the bench to net the only goal of the game and prevent the Reds slipping to their third consecutive goalless draw in the league.

It was the Israeli's second goal in two games and his first of the season in the Premier League.

"I will take this every game – coming on with 20 minutes to go and scoring, as long as we keep winning," he said.

"I'm really happy to score but that doesn't matter so long as we get the results.

"The most important thing, even if I'm only on for 10 minutes or so, is to prove I am good enough and contribute like that.

"If the manager says I can make a difference then I believe him but I'm here for a reason and that's to provide moments like that.

"You have to be ready for everything here and I am. We have a great squad, full of talented players, and I would not tell anyone I should be playing – but I am ready if needed.

"It was an important goal because if we'd have drawn there would have been a lot of pressure on us. It is a good win because Wigan are a good side and will take a lot of points off teams here. They deserve a lot of credit.

"It was very frustrating seeing what was happening, because we'd missed three or four chances and you do wonder if it is going to be a day when they don’t go in.

"But one thing we have is a lot of confidence that we could win, because at least we were creating a lot. We've got the quality in the side to do that."

Considering what he was first saying about 'I'm going to walk if you don't play me', he comes on as a super sub and scores a good goal against Wigan.

He'll be saying I'm not happy sitting on the bench next week.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #31: Oct 01, 2007 10:52:38 am
      To be fair the previous comments were attributed to his agent, whereas thes comments seem to have come directly from him. I know which I'd be more likely to believe.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #32: Oct 01, 2007 12:00:32 pm
      Humble player, helps a lot in the background (as he can speak spanish).

His goal versus Wigan will prove to be VERY valuable come May...

Babel to warm the bench for league games IMHO.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #33: Oct 01, 2007 01:31:26 pm
      Babel to warm the bench for league games IMHO.

I think it's a bit early to be saying that.

As far as I'm aware Benayoun has played on the left twice this season, and one of those times he was woeful. I'm not taking anything away from Saturdays performance, it was a wonderful goal, but he still has to do a bit more before being considered a nailed on starter anywhere, let alone on the left.
      Saffi 7
      • Forum David Johnson

• 225 posts | 17 
      • "...that's why they paid 26 million for him..."
      Reply #34: Oct 01, 2007 01:47:24 pm
      I have to agree with Eddie here, its a bit premature relegating Babel to the bench already... sure, Yossi saved us from alot of red faces, not to mention the negative post-match posting, but he's nowhere near nailing down a first team spot. It sounds like he is willing to give this rotation business a fair go...
      DOBBS83
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 34 
      • @chrisdobbs83
      Reply #35: Oct 05, 2007 02:34:05 am
      hes got yet to prove him self as far as im concerned, he played like dogs balls in the marseille game!
      benforrest
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 516 posts | -8 
      Reply #36: Oct 05, 2007 06:24:45 am
      hes got yet to prove him self as far as im concerned, he played like dogs balls in the marseille game!
      Sorry but are you stupid, did you watch the game? I think that Benayoun was the only one in the midfield who didn't muck up......only problem was that he didn't get it enough because we didn't have any possession to give it to him.

Anyway, thats funny because Crouch and Benayoun have both now backed Rafa and his policy
      DOBBS83
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 34 
      • @chrisdobbs83
      Reply #37: Oct 05, 2007 07:11:34 am
      yeh i watched the bloody game, he made plenty of sh*t passes and mistakes just like the rest of them. im a fan of the rotation policy but ive already spoken of that in the other thread

Quick Reply