Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 22nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P10 W7 D0 L3

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Who would win in a fight?

Ra Ra Rafa
      (28.6%)
      Richobaz
      (14.3%)
      The Handbag
      (57.1%)

The spine of the Liverpool team

Read 12045 times
      Istvan Kozma
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 165 posts | 31 
      Re: The spine of the Liverpool team
      Reply #92: Sep 25, 2007 01:22:06 pm
      You're right that he has a lot more quality than our other strikers, but those qualities won't always be the right ones for the opponents we're playing. I would play Torres 9 out of 10 times, but wouldn't consider him a nailed on starter for this reason.

Fair point, but i think you have to mate if you're spending £20+ million on a player, and certainly when there is no doubting his quality.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #93: Feb 29, 2008 10:37:49 am
      Richobaz would lose :D

Anyway back on subject, with the season gone a little more this is now the spine

Reina, Carragher, Mascherano, Gerrard, Torres

Or is it? Can Mascherano & Torres be classed as the spine? Torres certainly can as we want to build the team around him, captain fantastic, Carra & Reina certainly are but what about Mascherano? Is he part of the spine in the Liverpool team?
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #94: Feb 29, 2008 10:48:58 am
      Our biggest problem is we should be able to substitute/rotate any of the players in our 1st spine, with an almost equally good player... and with the lack of quality in depth at our club - WE CAN'T.

There is a saying in Spain "Querer y No Poder" - "You Want But You Can't"

That reflects LFC at the moment, all want and ambitions in reference to EPL... but plenty of can't to go with it due to lack of funds, primarily.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #95: Feb 29, 2008 10:49:45 am
      I just voted for Richobaz btw... get in!
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #96: Feb 29, 2008 10:51:32 am
      I just voted for Richobaz btw... get in!

:tosser:
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #97: Feb 29, 2008 10:55:59 am
      Don I don't think we want to rotate the spine players. I've always thought that the spine players and first XI players should always be a higher quality. Every team should have a best XI but we don't. Remember all top clubs have a best XI and a second XI but because we are rotating that has been our downfall with the lack of quality in the team.

The spine should always be the same and should always be the two strikers, two midfielders, two defenders and the goalkeeper. Then we got the arms and legs. Taking Gerrard and Mascherano away from us would be like taking an engine out of a car, we need them as they make us tick!
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #98: Feb 29, 2008 12:15:04 pm
      Mascherano's passing has seen a dramatic improvement this season, and for me he would now form part of the spine, yes. The problem with him in the past has been that he was only really capable of mopping up play & playing the simple ball, which was brilliant in the games where it was needed, but not every game requires such a midfielder. As he's starting to add more to his game & becoming a more complete player he has become a nailed on starter subject to fitness IMO.

I'm not quite sure where this leaves Alonso though. I feel we will start playing a 4-2-3-1/4-3-3 formation more often as we're starting to get the right personell for it, but I can still only see Alonso getting around 30 games a season, and would understand if he wanted to move on, although I would love to keep him. Considering the interest shown from both Real & Barca in the past we could well get them into a bidding war & get some decent money for him, which could be used to strengthen other areas of the squad where we don't have such a wealth of talent.
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #99: Feb 29, 2008 12:33:11 pm
      Based on the games played so far it has got to be Stevie, Torres, Masc. Jamie and Agger.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #100: Feb 29, 2008 03:12:10 pm
      Dont forget Reina.
      Reepicheep
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,092 posts | 40 
      Reply #101: Mar 01, 2008 09:18:00 pm
      For me, the spine of the team should not be rotated (only in extreme circumstances). That's the whole point of having a spine.
      ShanerB
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 881 posts | 25 
      Reply #102: Mar 02, 2008 01:44:47 am
      I'm not quite sure where this leaves Alonso though. I feel we will start playing a 4-2-3-1/4-3-3 formation more often as we're starting to get the right personell for it,

i quite like that 4-2-3-1 idea, could have alonso and masch holding with stevie in the centre of the 3 supporting torres. babel and benayoun/pennant could make diagonal runs towards the box, would be a bit like barca and accomodates our better players
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #103: Mar 02, 2008 03:26:12 am
      True that is a great idea. Provides more pace for attacking in terms of counters with Torres, Babel, Stevie, Yossi/Pennant all driving forward Alonso holding the centre and masch just behind.
      red1
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts |
      Reply #104: Mar 03, 2008 11:55:38 pm
      For me now spine is Reina, Carragher, Gerrard, Mascereno, Torres, Babel, a few players close Alonso, Finnan, would have Sammy there if he was younger or Agger once he's more established
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #105: Apr 21, 2008 01:42:49 am
      It's so obvious that the spine of a team is down through the middle. So that's Reina, Agger, Carragher, Mascherano, Alonso, Gerrard & Torres.

However, the players who I think are the key players in the spine are: Reina, Carragher, Mascherano, Gerrard & Torres.

Players like Babel are not part of the spine, a spine doesn't travel through to the arms...
      Anyway, we've got a spine as good as anyone in Europe me thinks, now we just need more quality for the arms and legs of the team!
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,726 posts | 3740 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #106: Apr 21, 2008 09:32:28 am
      Our team is based on these player : Reina, Carra., Gerrard, Masch. & Torres. And these players in short time will be joining the spine : Skrtel, Babel & if crouch stay with us he has the potential to be in the spine also.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #107: Apr 21, 2008 09:39:52 am
      Pepe--->Carra---->Masch---->StevieG---->Torres
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #108: Apr 21, 2008 09:47:14 am
      Our spine is straight through the middle. It definately CAN branch out to the wide players though but ours doesnt.
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #109: Apr 21, 2008 10:05:28 am

Pepe .....Carra/Agger....Mascherano....Gerrard....Torres 
      kop1985
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 182 posts | -10 
      Reply #110: Apr 22, 2008 11:29:26 am
      Spine (always make team sheet):
      Reina
      Carra
      Masch
      Gerrard
      Torres

I believe this thread is crucial though because the more sure of our "spine" we are the more settled the team will become.  Rafa should hope to bolster up his defo starters in the closed season, that can be very important for how the team gels and learns how to play for and with each other.
      sandsy85
      • Forum Youth Player

• 12 posts |
      Reply #111: Apr 25, 2008 04:12:52 pm
      i agree the four of them are just untouchable  :)
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #112: Apr 25, 2008 08:02:56 pm
      Spine (always make team sheet):
      Reina
      Carra
      Masch
      Gerrard
      Torres

I believe this thread is crucial though because the more sure of our "spine" we are the more settled the team will become.  Rafa should hope to bolster up his defo starters in the closed season, that can be very important for how the team gels and learns how to play for and with each other.

i agree the four of them are just untouchable  :)

Welcome to the forum Sandsy! :) Isn't there five of them though?  :f_doh:  ;)
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #113: Jun 13, 2008 08:17:41 pm
      When Masch got sent off against the mancs i guess you could say we slipped a disk  :D

(well i thought it was funny  ::) )

Quick Reply