Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 24th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W9 D1 L4

LFC Reds Poll

Q. If you were offereed 4th place now, would you grab it with both hands?

Yes
      108 (37.2%)
      No.
      182 (62.8%)

Total Members Voted: 284

VOTE: Would you take 4th right now? (June 2011)

Read 35288 times
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Re: VOTE: Would you take 4th right now?
      Reply #529: Sep 19, 2011 12:29:19 am
      I have only one question for you: Did the proper "Shankly Boys" defended Roy Hodgson throughout the season, and refused to judge him on knee-jerk results ?

No but we deffered from criticising our Manager at the time,although we knew that he would not succeed.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #530: Sep 19, 2011 12:30:05 am

Did you do the same for Rafa, before we affect your canonization? ;)
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #531: Sep 19, 2011 12:32:06 am
      No but we deffered from criticising our Manager at the time,although we knew that he would not succeed.

So basically, you have not defended him ... Thank you, that is what I wanted to hear from you ...
      simolfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,165 posts | 22 
      • Thank you Dirk YNWA
      Reply #532: Sep 19, 2011 12:32:53 am
      I'm not gonna say I'll take 4th and not 3rd after one loss against another top 6 club AWAY near the beginning of the season
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #533: Sep 19, 2011 12:33:11 am
      Did you do the same for Rafa, before we affect your canonization? ;)

Certainly did mate. Infact I gave Rafa a lot longer than the few months loyalty I gave to Roy.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #534: Sep 19, 2011 12:37:42 am
      Our main advantage over Arsenal and Tottenham is the presence of 3 world class players on our team in Gerrard, Suarez, and Reina ... However, if you look at the depth of their squads, this is what you see:

Gervinho/Arshavin/Miyaichi - Van Persie/Chamakh/Park - Walcott/Oxlade-Chamberlain

Wilshere/Rosicky/Benayoun - Arteta/Ramsey/Diaby

Song/Frimpong/Coquelin

Santos/Gibbs - Vermaelen/Koscielny - Mertesacker/Djourou/Squillaci - Sagna/Jenkinson

Szczesny/Almunia/Fabianski

Adebayor/Defoe/Pavlyuchenko

Bale/Pienaar - Van der Vaart/Kranjcar - Lennon/Dos Santos

Sandro/Parker - Modric/Huddlestone/Livermore

Assou-Ekotto/Rose - King/Gallas/Bassong - Dawson/Kaboul - Corluka/Walker

Friedel/Gomes/Cudicini

Not seeing a huge amount of quality there to be honest.  Each squad has some stand out players, as does ours.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #535: Sep 19, 2011 12:37:49 am
      So basically, you have not defended him ... Thank you, that is what I wanted to hear from you ...

On boards like this, I'll say what I feel, out in the 'real world', I defend the club to the hilt, but in here, it's were you can be honest, no matter what, like the post-match discussions of old, discussed around a pint of bitter and mild in your local Workies.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #536: Sep 19, 2011 12:52:06 am
      That is what we call "The Liverpool way".Our fans are the most knowledgeable in the world,we do not need wanabbes,trying to impose their views,on a fan base that stretches back over 45 years of success.Join the train or f*ck off.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #537: Sep 19, 2011 12:57:09 am
      That is what we call "The Liverpool way".Our fans are the most knowledgeable in the world,we do not need wanabbes,trying to impose their views,on a fan base that stretches back over 45 years of success.Join the train or f*ck off.

What 45 years are you talking about ? We have won our first major title 110 years ago ...
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #538: Sep 19, 2011 01:02:20 am
      What 45 years are you talking about ? We have won our first major title 110 years ago ...

Yeah but I was a Liverpool supporter 45 years ago, sadly 110 years ago I wasn't.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #539: Sep 19, 2011 01:04:48 am
      I wonder if RedRoy is aware that he's quoted himself...
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #540: Sep 19, 2011 01:11:19 am
      Said I would before and still stick to that and it's the minimum we expect after such investment however expecting the league isn't being realistic and setting yourself up for disappointment, hoping for the league is different but don't expect as it wont happen this year in my opinion.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #541: Sep 19, 2011 01:18:33 am
      Said I would before and still stick to that and it's the minimum we expect after such investment however expecting the league isn't being realistic and setting yourself up for disappointment, hoping for the league is different but don't expect as it wont happen this year in my opinion.

What kind of investment are we talking about here ? I believe that our net spending under the new owners is somewhere in the £30 million region ... By all means, that is a respectable figure, but are we really aware what kind of investment have our main competitors made over recent years?
      Pro_17
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 29 posts |
      Reply #542: Sep 19, 2011 01:47:19 am
      What kind of investment are we talking about here ? I believe that our net spending under the new owners is somewhere in the £30 million region ... By all means, that is a respectable figure, but are we really aware what kind of investment have our main competitors made over recent years?

I start to hate modern football..We love football and we watch our favourite team every weekend...But again its all about the money!Its the truth guys..Thats why i agree with Macedonian Red...I mean 30m is respectable but if City spend 100m each year and Chelsea 80m we wont win the league...Its as simple as that..As a Liverpool fan i dont care about the f***in money and i will support till the end this team...Iam 21 years old and never thought that football will become a business for Huge Companies and Billionaries..Its a shame but its the truth..
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #543: Sep 19, 2011 01:50:39 am

By the way, here are the numbers of the net investment of our rivals, over the past 5 seasons:

Man City - spent €525 million
      Chelsea - spent €197 million
      Tottenham - spent €121 million
      LFC - spent €96 million
      Man Utd - spent €77 million
      Arsenal - earned €51 million

Sorry that the numbers are in Euros ...
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #544: Sep 19, 2011 01:54:25 am
      Mac_Red you don't take into account how much we've paid to settle the contracts of players also. You quote overly distorted figures to attempt to suggest knowledge. Our net spend none of us know to the nearest £5m but I believe the change in personal in the first team and investment in them is enough to expect 4th as a minimum, compared to our nearest rivals Arsenal and Tottenham we have spent massively. Don't compare us to teams I don't expect us to compete with to attempt to sway your points, quite childish.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,360 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #545: Sep 19, 2011 01:56:40 am

Honestly, are you just a born pri*k?
      Pro_17
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 29 posts |
      Reply #546: Sep 19, 2011 01:57:35 am
      Yeah mate that clearly shows the situation in football nowadays..The market is getting crazier and crazier every season...(remember that man u got nearly 100m from ronaldos sale and still spent 77m)
      If the only way to win the Prem is to have chairman a Billionaire with 8 huge companies that spends 150m each year then i dont see the point of arguing about formations about managers and players..I dont want Lfc to become part of this situation..that my view
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #547: Sep 19, 2011 07:53:10 am
      Mac_Red you don't take into account how much we've paid to settle the contracts of players also. You quote overly distorted figures to attempt to suggest knowledge. Our net spend none of us know to the nearest £5m but I believe the change in personal in the first team and investment in them is enough to expect 4th as a minimum, compared to our nearest rivals Arsenal and Tottenham we have spent massively. Don't compare us to teams I don't expect us to compete with to attempt to sway your points, quite childish.

Actually, Tottenham have spent more than LFC, over the past 5 seasons ... The numbers I've posted are correct, and represent the net investment into transfers ... By the way, how do you think that we could ever win the title, if we don't compete with Man Utd, Chelsea and Man City ?
      TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #548: Sep 19, 2011 09:10:52 am
      I have only one question for you: Did the proper "Shankly Boys" defended Roy Hodgson throughout the season, and refused to judge him on knee-jerk results ?

I did.  The abuse Roy got from the start was disgusting.  I didn't judge him based on a couple of results, but the Blackpool game was the final straw for me.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #549: Sep 19, 2011 11:49:41 am
      Not because of yesterday but yes I would take 4th now.

It would be a massive step and allow us to attract higher caliber players again.
      RedSteve
      • Forum David Johnson

• 220 posts |
      Reply #550: Sep 19, 2011 12:08:25 pm
      I did.  The abuse Roy got from the start was disgusting.  I didn't judge him based on a couple of results, but the Blackpool game was the final straw for me.

True that, are all the same people crying about people moaning about Kenny signings the same ones that hounded Roy from the start, building up into abuse during games?

4th would be massive for us right now. Top 3 are nailed on leaving us to fight for one place. People can say all they like about us still being able to win the EPL, get real.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,131 posts | 3377 
      Reply #551: Sep 19, 2011 12:44:23 pm
      I've finally succumb to the thought that Liverpool Football Club no longer boasts the most knowledgeable fans in the world. And the reason why I now believe that is because so many fans believe 4th is an achievement for this club. So many believe that because a side spends more money means we can't beat them - pretty sure Birmingham spent more than Wigan, Everton, Blackburn, Fulham and Newcastle yet it was still the Carling Cup winners who went down.

So if we can't compete because teams spend more, that should apply to all - it clearly doesn't. So shut the F**k up about money being the reason.

As for better caliber of player just because we're in the Champions League - another sh*te reason for accepting fourth right now. As I've said earlier in this thread when we won the European Cup we signed Crouch, Reina, Sissoko and Zenden in the summer. Hardly great names at the time and only Reina has gone onto be anywhere near world class. Crouch was decent, Sissoko was decent until his eye injury then went downhill, and Zenden was F***ing awful.

So that's the caliber we can attract when being in the Champions League. If a player wants to play for us, they'll play for us regardless. If a player wants to play for us simply because we're in the Champions League then they can F**k off anyway. We're not a stepping stone for players. We're Liverpool Football Club and it should be a F***ing honour for any single player to be asked to pull on the famous Red shirt. Not just because we're playing in Europe's elite competition.

F**k them, if they wanna play Champions League football they can F**k off to Glasgow and play for one of those two or better yet F**k off to Manchester and play for one those as according to some of our dickhead fans they're F***ing certain to be in the Champions League year on year out because they spend x amount.

Players who play here will play here. Players who don't, won't. Regardless of Champions League football or not.

So back to answering the question if I'd take fourth, nah you're alright. I'd rather try for something that I believe this club strives for - to be first.

So anybody who isn't prepared to fight for the League this year and would rather just take fourth because it means we're back in the be all and end all of modern day football - the Champions League - they can F**k off an all.

Quick Reply