Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 3rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W10 D5 L8

Liverpool v Toulouse 28th August: Pre Match

Read 7163 times
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Liverpool v Toulouse 28th August: Pre Match
      Aug 27, 2007 07:13:20 pm
      Live on ITV1 8:05pm Kick off.

So Carra and Stevie both ruled out, should still win this one comfortably.

My first game this season.

Team and score predictions?

Reina, Finnan, Arbeloa, Agger, Hyppia, Benayoun, Pennant, Mascherano, Alonso, Crouch, Kuyt.

2-0 to the reds.

Btw does anyone know what time the turnstyles open tomorrow?
      « Last Edit: Aug 28, 2007 07:59:43 pm by JD »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,658 posts | 6952 
      Re: Liverpool v Toulouse 28th August
      Reply #1: Aug 27, 2007 07:37:30 pm
      I'd imagine you will be able to get in about 6:45 onwards for the 8:05 kick off.

I don't think you're too far off with the team.  I'd be inclined to rest Alonso - and play Babel on the wing.  I see no reason why Sissoko shouldn't play again.

I expected Riise as left back with Agger and Arbeloa in the middle of defence.

I just hope we score an early goal.  Couldn't face them scoring an early goal. I'll go for a 3-1.
      Chitose
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 176 posts | -18 
      Reply #2: Aug 27, 2007 07:47:09 pm
      I really hope so! Do You think the striker combination this match will be Voronin and Crouch? Like the last match with Toulouse. I think It'd be safer if they put Kuyt and Voronin, Kuyt can make a good combination with every strikers in the team, but I thibk Crouch should have his debut, from the start of the season, he doubted that he won't be in the manager's plan, he need an assure, a goal will do!
      Gerrard will have to miss this match and he's still a doubt for two Euro 2008 qualifier match with England, I thought his injury is not that bad. He may play in the match against Derby.
      I think the squad will be:

Reina
      Finnant       Hyypia                  Agger      Riise

Pennant      Alonso             Mascherano  Babel

Voronin              Crouch   

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,297 posts | 2842 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #3: Aug 27, 2007 07:50:21 pm
      Benayoun must start tomorow?

Reina finnan hyppia agger arbeloa benayoun sissoko masch babel kuyt crouch/voronin

I hope we go at them from the off tomorrow and put them away so we can relax ahead of the weekend

3-0  and id like to see kuyty get off the mark

By the way is there a mark of respect for Rhys Jones before the game does anyone know?
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #4: Aug 27, 2007 07:52:25 pm

By the way is there a mark of respect for Rhys Jones before the game does anyone know?

There's going to be a minute's silence before kick-off, and the players to wear black armbands.
      Chitose
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 176 posts | -18 
      Reply #5: Aug 27, 2007 08:03:57 pm
      Poor boy, he was just 11 years old, he was EvertonFC's fan isn't him? His death was really a shock.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #6: Aug 27, 2007 10:02:58 pm
      Poor boy, he was just 11 years old, he was EvertonFC's fan isn't him? His death was really a shock.

Yes he was an Everton fan, Chitose. Glad there will be a mark of respect for him. The city as one to pay our respect and sympathy.

Back to our game. We should really hammer them tomorrow. I expect an early goal followed by another two or three!
      No doubt they'll try have a go at us early on so we'll have to keep a speedy tempo. They'll probably be trying to get the ball to that Elmander fella as he's their only danger man, so for that I think it will be Hypia and Agger at the back. That is of course if Hypia gets the green light to play.
      I'd probably go with Chitose's team but have Sissoko instead of Alonso. Also Kuyt instead of Voronin. Bring Voronin on from the bench if we haven't scored  ;)
      Although I have no idea who Finnant is  ;D (just joking Chitose)
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #7: Aug 28, 2007 01:46:28 am
      Anyone sitting in the Kop tomorrow?

I'm in block 205, which is bang in the middle.

If anyone spots me I will be wearing my Red Liverpool shirt with a longsleeved white shirt underneigh with the message 'champions of europe' on it (would of been appropriate if we won it >:() oh and my Shirt will have Smith 7 on the back!

But anyway, can't wait.  It's been 9 years since I sat in Anfield and cheered on my mighty Reds. Should be a 2-0 victory for me.

Good to see there will be a moments silence for Rhys. 

Should be a 2-0 victory for us!  Come on!
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #8: Aug 28, 2007 02:02:38 am

If anyone spots me I will be wearing my Red Liverpool shirt with a longsleeved white shirt underneigh with the message 'champions of europe' on it (would of been appropriate if we won it >:() oh and my Shirt will have Smith 7 on the back!

But anyway, can't wait.  It's been 9 years since I sat in Anfield and cheered on my mighty Reds. Should be a 2-0 victory for me.

Well in Court!! Good to see you going back to where you belong mate after such a long time! Take some pics fella!
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #9: Aug 28, 2007 02:04:05 am
      Well in Court!! Good to see you going back to where you belong mate after such a long time! Take some pics fella!

Will do mate ;)

What a seat.  Bang in the middle. 

Hopefully this will be the first game of many for me!  :D
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #10: Aug 28, 2007 02:10:19 am
      Will do mate ;)

What a seat.  Bang in the middle. 

Hopefully this will be the first game of many for me!  :D

Indeed!!! You can't beat being bang in the middle of the Kop! That's where I was when we beat Barcelona in the semi of the UEFA Cup. Gary Mc scored the pen and I was nearly crowd surfing. Still got a scar on my leg! Good times.
      Obviously wont be as mad as that tomorrow but it'll be great. Enjoy it mate!
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #11: Aug 28, 2007 02:18:13 am
      Indeed!!! You can't beat being bang in the middle of the Kop! That's where I was when we beat Barcelona in the semi of the UEFA Cup. Gary Mc scored the pen and I was nearly crowd surfing. Still got a scar on my leg! Good times.
      Obviously wont be as mad as that tomorrow but it'll be great. Enjoy it mate!

Don't worry I will. 

Can't wait.  It's been too long... 

We're going to get pulled by JD here for going so much off topic haha :D

redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #12: Aug 28, 2007 02:34:06 am
      Don't worry I will. 

Can't wait.  It's been too long... 

We're going to get pulled by JD here for going so much off topic haha :D

Well, we are talking about Court LFC making his long awaited comeback to Anfield against Toulouse!  ;)
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #13: Aug 28, 2007 02:34:59 am
      Well, we are talking about Court LFC making his long awaited comeback to Anfield against Toulouse!  ;)

That's a good enough excuse Kenny!  ;D ;D
      Fowler_God
      • Forum Youth Player

• 6 posts | -1 
      Reply #14: Aug 28, 2007 02:41:12 am

Thats a cracking seat you got there mate!

Enjoy your return to Anfield :)
      yorkie18
      • Forum David Johnson

• 236 posts |
      Reply #15: Aug 28, 2007 08:01:01 am
      Ok here goes my squad for tonight's game....

Reina
      Finnan Agger Hyppia Risse
      Pennant Sissoko Mascherano Babel
      Voronin Crouch

Hopefully with Kewell on the bench (if he's fit), Arbeloa, Alonso and Kuyt.

I'm going for a score of probably 2-1.
      The Anfield Warrior
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,029 posts | 32 
      • RED Blooded since '67
      Reply #16: Aug 28, 2007 09:12:11 am
      Its 3 - 0 for me....

Im pretty comfortable that we can do this easy...
      that said its these sort of games that seem to cost us later on in the season...

but anyhoo....

thinking positive and all, goals to:-

Kuyt
      Crouch
      Aldridge ( could you imagine the noise...!)
      if Aldo's left out due to other contractual obligations...
      Pennant..

RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,255 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #17: Aug 28, 2007 10:02:14 am
      Off to the match to night, first game for an awefully long time, Block KK in lower Centenary Stand row 27, looking forward to it, took me 2 1/2 hrs on ticket line, then I found out you could get them on line  :P. what a fool! but blessing in disguise as I have forgotten my password!

What beer is on sale, is it only Carlsberg, or as it's a CL game is their Heineken on sale?

Predicted 2-1 to us in Predict League, but a little concerned about our injuries! But we should be Ok.
      « Last Edit: Aug 28, 2007 11:43:28 am by RedPuppy »
      paulrobbo
      • Started Topic

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #18: Aug 28, 2007 11:33:21 am

I'm sat in the Kop. Block 104 Row 32. Not quite the middle but it'll do for my first ever game at Anfield :)

Sing your heart out so Rhys can hear us tonight lads (and lasses).
      « Last Edit: Aug 28, 2007 11:51:12 am by paulrobbo »
      Saffi 7
      • Forum David Johnson

• 225 posts | 17 
      • "...that's why they paid 26 million for him..."
      Reply #19: Aug 28, 2007 12:49:59 pm
      Crouch will definitely get a run, as will Yossi. Even without the skipper and vice, we should be strong enough to see off the Toulouse threat by two goals...

I'll go with

Reina
      Finnan
      Hyypia
      Agger
      Arbeloa
      Pennant
      Sissoko
      Alonso
      Benayoun
      Crouch
      Kuyt

With Masch, Voronin and Babel likely to get a run as well...
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #20: Aug 28, 2007 01:27:40 pm
      I'm gonna say we wipe the floor with them at 4-0! goals from Agger, Crouch, Voronin (2)

Lineup

Reina
      Finnan Agger Hyypia Arbeloa

Pennant Mascherano Leiva Kewell

Voronin Crouch

Subs Intaje, Sissoko, Kuyt, Babel
      Xabi1309
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 340 posts |
      Reply #21: Aug 28, 2007 02:31:34 pm
      We must Riise to challenge
      Aug 28 2007 by Chris Bascombe, Liverpool Echo

JOHN ARNE RIISE today spoke of the need for Liverpool to stop relying on their Scouse superstars if they are to achieve Premier League and European success this season.

Riise was heartened by the way the team coped with the setback of missing Steven Gerrard and then losing Jamie Carragher during the 2-0 win at Sunderland.

And both will also be missing tonight as Liverpool defend their 1-0 lead over Toulouse in the Champions League qualifier.

In the past, the duo have been the foundation for every major Anfield triumph, but Riise accepts the time has come for all the players to show Liverpool can cope in their absence.

“We know they’re two very important players for us,” said Riise. “I don’t know how long we’ll be without them, but obviously we’ll miss them if they’re not available.

“But this is exactly why we have a big squad and we all know we need to cope with these kinds of setbacks.

“Sometimes your best players aren’t available and others have to do a good job.

“If that’s the case now, it’s about all of us responding the best possible way.

“We proved against Sunderland we can do it. It’s a battle when you go to places like that, especially without Stevie and Carra for the last 20 minutes, but we came through it.

“In these circumstances, it’s better to focus on who is playing and not to think about who isn’t.

“There’s nothing we can do about it if a player is injured. It’s a big blow, we know that, but that’s football.”

Liverpool know they need to be careful as they protect a slender lead against the French, who may be buoyed by the absenteeism in the Anfield ranks.

After suffering home defeats at this stage in the past, Riise knows a result can’t be taken for granted.

“We have to be careful because this is a massive game for Toulouse,” he said. “We won’t take it easy because 1-0 is not game over at all. If they score first, it changes everything.

“Everyone knows how important it is for us to get into the Champions League but I expect them to come here and have a real go. Hopefully we can kill them off sooner rather than later.”

Sami Hyypia will skipper the side tonight, while Peter Crouch is set to start up front.

“It will be a dangerous game,” said manager Rafa Benitez. “To lead 1-0 is a fantastic situation but not necessarily the best score because people may think it will be easy, but we know that’s not the case. The players must be careful.”

Looks like Riise is talking himself into the starting eleven!!

Bit off topic but does anyone know when we will play our odd game in prem to show a more accurate league postition.

I have looked at the fixture list but can't make out when we will catch up.

Any ideas out there?
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #22: Aug 28, 2007 03:41:03 pm
      I would go with:

Reina

Arbeloa    Hyypia  Agger    Riise

Pennant   Alonso  Masch  Babel

Crouch Torres

Considering the fact that Arbeloa seems to be playing left back quite a bit & that he may well be covering in the middle for now, I'd use this game to give Finnan a rest, it might be a while before he gets another chance. Going by the first leg, Toulouse seemed to be vulnerable when attacked down the flanks, so this is where I'd put the main focus whilst keeping it tight in the middle. In Pennant & Babel we have two players who can run at the fullback & give him a hard time, and with Torres & Crouch in the middle we have a good aerial threat to benefit from the crosses that should be flying in. I was tempted to put Benayoun in, purely as he hasn't had a game for us yet, but Pennant will hug the touchline more which is where I feel we'll benefit, and after his performance on Saturday he's fully earned his place. I know by the same token Sissoko deserves to be in the side, but if Toulouse try to bypass the midfield like they did in the first leg I feel there wouldn't be a lot for him to do in terms of breaking up the play.

Quick Reply