Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Villa Park

Today is the 12th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P10 W5 D2 L3

Laptop Help

Read 11925 times
      LFCexiled
      Re: Laptop Help
      Reply #23: Jul 21, 2011 12:22:53 pm
      Probably not the right thread. Need a new laptop. Keyboard randomly stopped working on me, using the on screen keyboard (touchscreen but pain in the arse).

Stuck between these two.

http://www.harveynorman.ie/vpceb4x0e-bq.html

http://www.harveynorman.ie/psk3se-007002en.html

You selling your old one perchance?

As for your choice. Between the two, even though the sony looks prettier I'd go for the Tosh. They just go on and on.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,150 posts | 2743 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #24: Jul 21, 2011 12:30:38 pm
      Reslivo

I'm looking for one of these 7in tablets. I'm told the htc flyer are pretty good. Its for betting on line and in running so the connection has to be quick. Would you recommend it or know of something better?

Appreciate any advice by members as well.  :)
      LFCexiled
      Reply #25: Jul 21, 2011 12:34:37 pm

Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

UK release date: July 2011
      Specs: Android 3.0, 1GHz dual core CPU, 1GB RAM, 16GB/32GB storage, 10.1-inch capacitive screen at 1280x800 (WXGA), 3MP rear-facing camera, 2MP front-facing camera, 3G, 599g.

What we think: as an out-and-out tablet, the Galaxy Tab 10.1 is currently unrivalled. It matches the performance of the other Honeycomb Tegra 2-based tablets while beating the pants off them in the portability stakes. This tablet is the lightest and thinnest 10-inch tablet in the world - and yep that includes the iPad 2. So unless that keyboard dock above is a serious draw for you, this is currently the one to watch.

Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 review: http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/tablets/samsung-galaxy-tab-10-1-965650/review
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,485 posts | 344 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #26: Jul 21, 2011 12:37:01 pm
      You selling your old one perchance?

As for your choice. Between the two, even though the sony looks prettier I'd go for the Tosh. They just go on and on.

Toshiba also has larger RAM and disc space. Erm not sure, would like to try fix it and see what I'll do with it. My one is decent but 3 years of continued use takes its toll, running quite slow now, also been told I should reinstall keyboard drivers and it should work again?
      LFCexiled
      Reply #27: Jul 21, 2011 01:02:21 pm
      Toshiba also has larger RAM and disc space. Erm not sure, would like to try fix it and see what I'll do with it. My one is decent but 3 years of continued use takes its toll, running quite slow now, also been told I should reinstall keyboard drivers and it should work again?

If installing new drivers doesn't work it may be the connection from keyboard to motherboard, sometimes its a ribbon and the constant flexing causes it to snap, could just be a loose wire. If everything else is working fine then it shouldn't be too hard to fix.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,485 posts | 344 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #28: Jul 21, 2011 01:23:30 pm
      If installing new drivers doesn't work it may be the connection from keyboard to motherboard, sometimes its a ribbon and the constant flexing causes it to snap, could just be a loose wire. If everything else is working fine then it shouldn't be too hard to fix.

I unscrewed the back and took the keyboard out, connection was fine. :)
      LFCexiled
      Reply #29: Jul 21, 2011 02:25:40 pm
      I unscrewed the back and took the keyboard out, connection was fine. :)

Have you done the drivers? Uninstall the keyboard and reboot.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,150 posts | 2743 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #30: Jul 21, 2011 02:42:40 pm
      Thanks for your help LFCexiled   :) Looking at it now.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,485 posts | 344 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #31: Jul 21, 2011 02:56:02 pm
      Have you done the drivers? Uninstall the keyboard and reboot.

Yep, no joy.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #32: Jul 21, 2011 02:59:24 pm
      Probably not the right thread. Need a new laptop. Keyboard randomly stopped working on me, using the on screen keyboard (touchscreen but pain in the arse).

Stuck between these two.

http://www.harveynorman.ie/vpceb4x0e-bq.html

http://www.harveynorman.ie/psk3se-007002en.html

Christ dude, you could build a high-end desktop PC for those prices.

Why not do that?

Thanks for your help LFCexiled   :) Looking at it now.

Don't know all that much about tablets mate. Don't see the need to, they'll be outdated in a matter of years anyway.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #33: Jul 21, 2011 03:04:42 pm

Don't suppose you've an old hard drive that you can put in it, that'll tell you straight away if it's a problem with the drivers or the operating system. Hard to know without looking at it.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #34: Jul 21, 2011 03:13:18 pm
      Guessing I may just need a battery, but occasionally my battery drains in 5 minutes flat.  Not always and most commonly the first time it's switched on that day. Fine when plugged in and most of the time it's fine on battery, but it's draining extremely quickly on a more regular basis as of late.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,927 posts | 823 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #35: Jul 21, 2011 03:29:29 pm
      Guessing I may just need a battery, but occasionally my battery drains in 5 minutes flat.  Not always and most commonly the first time it's switched on that day. Fine when plugged in and most of the time it's fine on battery, but it's draining extremely quickly on a more regular basis as of late.

Change the battery settings, if not already put it on energy saving or an option of the same meaning, on the start bar, on the far right, right click the battery icon, power options then choose from there, you could even make your own settings and customize it to your preferences.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #36: Jul 21, 2011 03:46:08 pm
      Change the battery settings, if not already put it on energy saving or an option of the same meaning, on the start bar, on the far right, right click the battery icon, power options then choose from there, you could even make your own settings and customize it to your preferences.

Probably should have made clear I've optimized the settings already.  Used to last 2-3 hours on battery with moderate use.  Switched it on this morning, took it in the kitchen and 5 minutes later it was flat - 0%, despite being on charge overnight.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,927 posts | 823 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #37: Jul 21, 2011 03:57:11 pm
      Probably should have made clear I've optimized the settings already.  Used to last 2-3 hours on battery with moderate use.  Switched it on this morning, took it in the kitchen and 5 minutes later it was flat - 0%, despite being on charge overnight.

This has happened to me, when looking at the battery after a while i had seen, it had like enlarged, the battery had over charged or something and died, safest bet is to actually buy a new battery before damaging your laptop further.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #38: Jul 21, 2011 04:20:29 pm
      Rodders you DEFINITELY need a new battery.

Shouldn't cost too much, maybe £20-30 depending on the make/design.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 17,150 posts | 2743 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #39: Jul 21, 2011 04:29:41 pm

Don't know all that much about tablets mate. Don't see the need to, they'll be outdated in a matter of years anyway.

Whys that Res? Something else coming out?
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,485 posts | 344 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #40: Jul 21, 2011 04:37:05 pm
      Christ dude, you could build a high-end desktop PC for those prices.

Why not do that?

Wouldn't be able to do it myself Res. Not that knowledgable on that side of things.

Don't suppose you've an old hard drive that you can put in it, that'll tell you straight away if it's a problem with the drivers or the operating system. Hard to know without looking at it.

Unfortunately not. :(
      LFCexiled
      Reply #41: Jul 21, 2011 05:39:55 pm
      Wouldn't be able to do it myself Res. Not that knowledgable on that side of things.

Unfortunately not. :(

Can't really help without being able to poke around, sorry mate. :(
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,485 posts | 344 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #42: Jul 21, 2011 06:04:07 pm
      Can't really help without being able to poke around, sorry mate. :(

I know, it's past its best days anyway. :)
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #43: Jul 21, 2011 07:20:24 pm
      Whys that Res? Something else coming out?

Laptops keep coming back, and with the advancements in touch- and 3D-screens, I can't see them being obsolete any time soon.

Not to mention the fact they support faster processors, higher-end graphics chips, better battery life and have more RAM.

Pads will go, laptops will return. That's just how it is.

Only takes a few hours to learn mate.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,485 posts | 344 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #44: Jul 22, 2011 01:53:44 am
      Wouldn't be arsed with all the messing about to be honest Res. I'd end up getting frustrated.
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      • Football is my religion. Steven Gerrard is my God.
      Reply #45: Jul 22, 2011 06:27:32 pm
      Laptops keep coming back, and with the advancements in touch- and 3D-screens, I can't see them being obsolete any time soon.

Not to mention the fact they support faster processors, higher-end graphics chips, better battery life and have more RAM.

Pads will go, laptops will return. That's just how it is.

Pads are here to stay man. I agree they are more of a luxury than of actually any use, but they won't go obsolete any time soon.

As for laptops, can't see them going out of fashion for the next 20 years if you ask me. As you said, they keep coming back with faster and better components. Look at the new Intel i-series processors. I swear they'll take computers to a next level, they are much faster than the previous processors. :o

Quick Reply