Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 16th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P16 W12 D1 L3

Hull 3-0 Liverpool: Live and post match Shocker!

Read 23467 times
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Re: Hull vs Liverpool: Match thread
      Reply #207: Jul 23, 2011 05:50:15 pm
      They are trying players same as f**king us stop living in cuckoo land. Ah so no one though we needed a centre half and left back before today where have you being hiding for the last few months.

What is the point of Agger being top class if he is not available and in relation to Carragher he was never the quickest but last season I thought his legs were beginning to go forcing us to play deeper and the lad is going long much more now when closed down. So your happy to rely on the Greek then are you
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #208: Jul 23, 2011 05:54:29 pm
      Some right doom mongerers in here. If our full first team played and we lost 3-0 then Id be worried.

Lancaster City just beat Bolton Wanderers 4-1. Doesn't mean a F***ing thing.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #209: Jul 23, 2011 05:56:52 pm
      Again would you be happy if we sign no defenders then, do you think if we don't we will have no problems defensively. Ain't doom mongering to state something that is as clear as the nose on your face
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #210: Jul 23, 2011 05:59:53 pm
      Again would you be happy if we sign no defenders then, do you think if we don't we will have no problems defensively. Ain't doom mongering to state something that is as clear as the nose on your face

Didn't watch the game, so can't comment on defense. Just saying, preseason means little.
      gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #211: Jul 23, 2011 06:03:26 pm
      I take Kennys comments to mean he first eleven that played are trying to fight for a place and were indeed the B team so to speak.
      The Last King of Scotland
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 21 
      Reply #212: Jul 23, 2011 06:10:38 pm
      THAT'S WHO IT IS!

I was wondering who was playing on our left wing and it's none other than Casey Affleck:

harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,924 posts | 967 
      Reply #213: Jul 23, 2011 06:17:11 pm
      Aqua put in another encouraging performance and was by far our best player in the first half.  Kelly had some good runs forward, but lacked the final ball.  He also was partly at fault for Hull's first goal.  Jack Robinson looked good too, but other than that, the first half players were very poor.  Cole, Maxi, Ngog, and Poulsen all played poorly. 

The second half performance was much better.  Carrol was lively and did a good job at holding up the play and bringing the teammates into the game.  Downing was threatening and looked very good on his debut!  Henderson and Adam also looked very sharp, and Insua played quite well IMO.  Wilson and Sotis were our worst performers in the 2nd half.

Overall, it was encouraging to see us take the game to them in the 2nd half.  We also haven't Pepe, Johno, Skrtel, Gerrard, Lucas, or Suarez in the team yet, so there is still plenty of qualityat our disposal.  I think question marks have to hang over the future of Raul Meireles as this is the 2nd time in 3 preseason games that he has not featured at all ???
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #214: Jul 23, 2011 06:42:55 pm
      Been at work. Off soon, in a word is it worth watching back on Sky? 
      AW00D
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 160 posts |
      Reply #215: Jul 23, 2011 06:46:33 pm
      Downing looked very promising as did Henderson. The first half was poor but the second picked up a lot since we had more first teamers on the pitch. if it hadnt been for some woeful defending it would have been a close match. Doni was very unlucky as the two goals he allowed were quality strikes.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #216: Jul 23, 2011 06:47:07 pm
      We were poor in the first half KS67 Aquilani was the only player that looked like he had anything about him, we improved in the second half, Carroll Henderson and Downing were decent. Defensively again we were a complete shambles and highlights the fact we still need reinforcements for the defence
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 21 
      Reply #217: Jul 23, 2011 06:52:06 pm
      I love it Kenny is right lad!

"if they want to play in the first team they'll have to do better than tha'"

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #218: Jul 23, 2011 07:00:46 pm
       I thought we were absolutely awful, with very few exceptions. I take the "it's only pre season" on board and I'm by no means panicking, but there's no point pretending we weren't sh!te because we were. I'm not going to single anyone out for either praise or criticism, the defence was sh*t, the midfield offered nothing and up top we were toothless. I don't like the new goalie either. I didn't even like the kit.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,615 posts | 7143 
      Reply #219: Jul 23, 2011 07:01:52 pm
      We always just to be awful pre season before a good season ;)
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #220: Jul 23, 2011 07:09:42 pm

I know we were bad before we won the Champions League, but in fairness we were sh!te that season as well (if that doesn't sound crazy). Whichever and whatever though, I'll be banging the drum from now on for the same things I used to bang it for when Rafa and Houllier were manager (and Hodgson but he barely counts).

For me, from now on, in the next friendly we should be picking our strongest available team. Play them not for 45 minutes, but for 70 minutes. Lets have an idea, right now, what the team is going to be and lets introduce some competition at a nice early stage to get into it.

Realistically, we are trying to get into the top four this season and it's going to be very tight. We cannot afford a three week bedding in period while everyone gets to know which is their favourite peg and where is their favourite parking space at Melwood. This should be the start of our season today, and good sides respond to getting their arses kicked. It starts from today.
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,585 posts | 62 
      • At the end of the storm- Is a golden sky....
      Reply #221: Jul 23, 2011 07:14:32 pm
      Its pre-season, it means nothing.

I mean its just for match fitness, a chance to play together with the new lads, i wouldnt take it was how we are going to do when the season starts!

A big fat win would have been nice, but im not worried.

Thats far from our starting 11.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #222: Jul 23, 2011 07:16:37 pm
      It was pre season for Hull as well, no point saying it means nothing, it highlights the clear problems we will have in defence if we sign no one. It obviously meant something to Kenny who appeared annoyed by the performance. We have been a shambles defensively in pre season
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #223: Jul 23, 2011 07:20:16 pm
      Thought Carroll had a solid half, Downing certainly seemed lively and Henderson was encouraging. The quicker we get Wilson and the big Greek shipped out the better, I know it's pre-season but they're shocking every time they play. Can't stand seeing the ball lumped up to Carroll expecting him to do everything, he needs quality not quantity served to him.

Aquilani played ok, nothing special first half and looked a shade below his first two performances with less time on the ball as we all pretty much expect of him. Kelly was surprisingly poor by his standards, expect him to pick it up in the next couple of matches and despite his obvious weight gain Insua still hasn't learned too much positionally.

Conclusion is what we pretty much already knew, we need a centre back who can slot straight into the team and improve upon what we have and without doubt a ball player. Needs to be Carra, Agger + new signing, possibly Godin and Skrtel trying to push his way back into the team. Thought Robinson did fine but couldn't be relied upon for a full season and definitely need a solid player there and will give our midfielders a nice base to work from.
      Witto
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,621 posts | 15 
      • Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Dooo Luis Suarez.
      Reply #224: Jul 23, 2011 07:58:35 pm
      I thought that our new signings this summer looked great, their first game all playing together, and you can't expect a gang of players to gel immediately. Carroll looked sharper. Downing looked great too.

I think we all know now that we badly need a new centre back and a new left back, we were all over the place at the back.

However it is only pre season and you can't expect too much, it's just about perfomances and getting fitness levels up ...
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 21 
      Reply #225: Jul 23, 2011 08:00:59 pm

Didn't we win every game including the Carlsberg cup before we won our treble?
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,452 posts | 2846 
      Reply #226: Jul 23, 2011 08:02:29 pm
      Henderson, Downing and Carroll played decent I though. Carroll looked so much sharper which is great to see and hopefully a couple more games will improve that.

I know it's a pre-season friendly but it's desperately disappointing to watch a Reds defence like that. It was piss poor.

Hope we use a more settled team against Gala next, a good 60-70 minute stint for our first XI would do us a world of good.
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 21 
      Reply #227: Jul 23, 2011 08:03:13 pm
      I thought that our new signings this summer looked great, their first game all playing together, and you can't expect a gang of players to gel immediately. Carroll looked sharper. Downing looked great too.

I think we all know now that we badly need a new centre back and a new left back, we were all over the place at the back.

However it is only pre season and you can't expect too much, it's just about perfomances and getting fitness levels up ...

Downing looked like what he is, predictable but adequately effective. Adam looks like a player who wants to run the team and in the absence of Gerrard will be given that role I believe. Andy looked like a battering ram with nothing else to his game and that will have to change big time and for me the most promising of the lad is Henderson, I'm telling you all now that 16m or whatever it was will look like the bargain of the season. I don't see anything missing from his game that experience won't give him and he's just an out and out footballer and we need MORE like him!
      Burdogcallingbat21
      • Banned

• 692 posts | 38 
      Reply #228: Jul 23, 2011 08:03:17 pm
      Insane collection of centre backs we have, the sort that can get a lesser team relegated.

corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #229: Jul 23, 2011 08:07:44 pm
      And the mad thing is there is rumours around Bayern Munich are interested in Agger

Quick Reply