Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 10th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P17 W10 D3 L4

memory problems

Read 1448 times
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      memory problems
      Aug 06, 2011 07:51:10 pm
      Never had ram fail until I got this computer. Had it 5 years and 3 sticks of ram have now failed since I got it. Its not so much the cost of new ram , but the time spent finding out what the f**king problem is thats so annoying. All the sticks that have failed were original to the computer (Dell), so I am not thrilled. I have always replaced the pair when a stick has failed. I have 4 x 1gb sticks.

Anyone know of possible causes .... other than crap quality?  
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Re: memory problems
      Reply #1: Aug 06, 2011 11:39:40 pm
      Motherboard or PSU I reckon.

Usually the way
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #2: Aug 07, 2011 12:44:51 am
      I've had memory problems.

Can't remember what I did about them.
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      • Football is my religion. Steven Gerrard is my God.
      Reply #3: Aug 08, 2011 05:36:00 pm
      Never had ram fail until I got this computer. Had it 5 years and 3 sticks of ram have now failed since I got it. Its not so much the cost of new ram , but the time spent finding out what the f**king problem is thats so annoying. All the sticks that have failed were original to the computer (Dell), so I am not thrilled. I have always replaced the pair when a stick has failed. I have 4 x 1gb sticks.

Anyone know of possible causes .... other than crap quality? 

As in, it won't boot? Or fail sometime after its on?

Try getting sticks of some other make? Corsair is the best IMO. If it still gives problems, it's got to be a faulty motherboard/processor.

Else, either show it to the Dell people, or call a computer repair guy. Those guys have full knowledge and will let you know what needs to be done.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #4: Aug 08, 2011 10:40:55 pm
      As in, it won't boot? Or fail sometime after its on?

Try getting sticks of some other make? Corsair is the best IMO. If it still gives problems, it's got to be a faulty motherboard/processor.

Else, either show it to the Dell people, or call a computer repair guy. Those guys have full knowledge and will let you know what needs to be done.

No mate I was just getting B.S.O.D. at odd times, and strange messages from windows "PFN LIST CORRUPT", then my Internet security crashed etc etc. So I spent hours trying to find a virus, but every time I tried to run a scan ..... my computer crashed. Eventually sanity returned and I did an F6 which told me it was a memory fault, ran Mem Test so it was just a matter of elimination then. 2 sticks faulty, but probably not gone at the same time as my comp has been a bit slow for a while.

Got some new ram from Crucial and everything seems good as gold again now. Just bloody frustrating trying to find the fault in the first place.

Really just curious why it should have failed.   

Quick Reply