Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 19th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W7 D2 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. MOTM

Pepe Reina
      (0%)
      Stewart Downing
      (19.7%)
      Charlie Adam
      (19.7%)
      Luis Suarez
      (25%)
      Andy Carroll
      (1.3%)
      Jose Enrique
      (26.3%)
      Lucas Leiva
      (5.3%)
      Someone else
      (2.6%)

Liverpool 1-1 Sunderland: In-Game and Post Match Disappointment

Read 58541 times
      simolfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,165 posts | 22 
      • Thank you Dirk YNWA
      Re: Liverpool 1-1 Sunderland: In-Game and Post Match Disappointment
      Reply #874: Aug 14, 2011 01:18:43 am
      No way, I think it was because Sunderland would pose a more physical challenge, one Kenny thought Flanagan was up for, however it was his lapse of concentration that cost him today, nothing to do with his physical presence or lack of it.
      This is sort of what i meant, as in, wouldn't Kelly get matches against Arsenal, Chelsea etc. in the absence of Johnson?

I think it was generous of Kenny to let him get this game instead of just QPR, Norwich, Swansea, Wigan, Wolves and Blackburn but maybe a bit premature?
      macca8
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #875: Aug 14, 2011 01:18:50 am
      First half, it totally blew my mind. Liverpool sticking to the pass and move philosophy. F**king awesome. Make Sunderland midfielders looked like f**king lamp post. The flow was extremely beautiful. I was glued to my seat for that first half. Downing owned the left flank. Lucas was bossing around the central midfield. Adam was sublime. Suarez, he's being Suarez. There's still some more things that needed some improvements but sure as hell that was the most entertaining first half showed by us in any PL opening fixtures.

We missed the opportunity to lead in early minutes as Suarez accidentally blew that ball off the post. It was an opportunity not to be missed but we missed. The great thing about Suarez was he never let emotion get the best out of him and he finally got the goal he deserved with a good header from Adam's freekick. Downing was the most surprise of the new boys. I knew he was good but less I know he was f**king awesome. But unlucky his good game didn't end with a goal. That was the game for Liverpool to lose.

And yet that unable-to-kill-off-game-syndrome kicked us in the b**ls again. We're to laid back and let opponent took over our own pitch. After a very solid performance, we kind of lost it. Too much complacency in our midfield and it looked like our midfield were sitting a bit too deep behind. That game we should be dominating but yet we let them be and actually that equalizing goal was a beautiful f**ker.

During the first half, our pass and move game was a beauty to watch and we move all over the pitch and that made Sunderland unable to cope with our play, but when Dalglish subbed Suarez off, our approach to the game suddenly changed. Our tactic became too easy to read as we got only Carroll up in the pitch. Kuyt's addition didn't add creativity or change of tactics because in the end it all going to end at Carroll's head. So, if they manage to shut out Carroll in which they successfully managed to do, there's nothing we could do as honestly in the second half, we didn't have anything to offer.

But it was a good game for us as long we didn't look it from the negative side. Downing, Adam, Suarez, Agger, Enrique, Lucas, Carra and Pepe were great. Flanno has been improving a lot but still he needed to work his composure and positioning a bit more. Henderson, he was just like a passenger but maybe because of his position not suited to him, but still got a lot more to learn. Carroll, he's young and improving. He got the hunger for goal but lack of support in the 2nd half totally blew him off. Needs to work on his timing especially in dealing with headers. Almost every ball from his head either went over the post or sideways.

I still believe we got what it takes to win the title and I still believe we can do it. YNWA!
      chap
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 672 posts | 35 
      Reply #876: Aug 14, 2011 01:34:41 am
      We were very unlucky today end of story. We created chances but couldn’t finish, the ref made 2 bad calls.
      If Carrolls goal was allowed I recon the game would have been over and the flood gates would have burst open.

Henderson had a poor game very quiet defo needs the bench for a bit I'd introduce him in the Carling cup and if he impresses there he will have earned a place for the league.

Flano did F**k up today defensively but after watching MOTD and seeing him again he delivered some quality crosses into dangerous areas, He is young and is rash with some challenges etc. But I think he will have learned a lesson today and it will sink in again when he is on the bench for Arsenal. The positives outweigh the negatives on Flano for me anyway he just had a bad day.

I’m more worried about aiming for Carrolls head constantly I'd love to see the stats for how many headers he has won and actually scored.
      Our team is well able to pass the ball through most teams and we shouldn’t be resorting to long ball.

One final thing I didn’t like today was the closing minutes the players didn’t push to get the ball back and when we did have the ball players were passing back when we really needed to push forward to try nick the game showed a lack of desire and hunger in my eyes anyway.

PS. We needed Stevie today desperately or someone to grab the game by the balls and take control back

Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #877: Aug 14, 2011 01:39:40 am
      This is a game we can learn from - we shouldn't be taking out foot off the gas at any stage in any match this season.

I didn't catch the match, but heard a lot about it, and caught the MotD highlights & extended highlights on LFC Online.

Adam sounds like he fit right in and really showed us what we can do in that midfield. He's already looking like a superb buy. That cross for Suarez was fantastic. Maybe we can now take Gerrard off free-kick & corner duty?

Downing's performance was summed up by his run in the first half, another one that's looking like a great buy. He gave us width, pace and flair in abundance. One to watch, definitely. His crosses are also phenomenal.

Suarez once again showed what he's capable of in the Premier League. The runs he makes are superb, and his work-ethic is just tremendous. He closes down from the front like a boss - something Torres was never, ever very good at. Suarez is one of the main reasons we're so successful pressing and closing down teams. Superb goal, by the way.

I'd list the rest, but I see no point. Just wanted to point out the ones that really shone today.

We drew. Against Sunderland. At home. I know. But remember, people, Sunderland have been busier than even we have in the transfer market, and they've been buying players for all over the shop. They're a much-improved team from last season - but then, so are we.

However, we are still a team maturing under Dalglish. We're still getting used to his style of play, but we now have the players to carry it out properly, so it shouldn't be long before we're looking better than we were today - even in the first half.

Yes. We should have won today. We should have annihilated Sunderland in the first half alone, but we didn't. Let's not dwell on it - I know Kenny won't be, and neither will the players.

Remember - EVERY team will draw at home at one stage or another. A draw isn't the end of the world. We'll learn from this result, and more importantly - we'll act on it.

We're Liverpool FC. We're here to win.
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #878: Aug 14, 2011 01:40:06 am
      I guess the season has really started. We scream and shout when we win, shower accolades on each and every player. But once it's a draw, we trash the same players intensely.

So now Flanagan, Charlie Adams and Henderson are subpar? ungrateful lots. Remember when we couldn't afford quality players?
      Lighten up guys, it"s just the first game. We will play better.

simolfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,165 posts | 22 
      • Thank you Dirk YNWA
      Reply #879: Aug 14, 2011 01:52:52 am
      I guess the season has really started. We scream and shout when we win, shower accolades on each and every player. But once it's a draw, we trash the same players intensely.

So now Flanagan, Charlie Adams and Henderson are subpar? ungrateful lots. Remember when we couldn't afford quality players?
      Lighten up guys, it"s just the first game. We will play better.

Charlie F***ing ADAM O.O
      wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Reply #880: Aug 14, 2011 03:31:39 am
      well we are traditionally slow starters and its due to a lack of fitness levels. the players seem to just coast when they have a lead. saurez had 7 fouls against him he is definately targetted, on the positive side we have picked up some good players like downing ,enrique,saurez,carrol adam. think carragher should be dropped just cant hack it. think we need to get some at least 6 games in then we gel into a solid top 4 contender.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #881: Aug 14, 2011 03:45:13 am
      we're doing so much right. we just need the killer instinct to score, the hunger to find the net individually, everything else is coming together. unlucky to not be 3-0 up at half time.
      PenguinOfTroy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,165 posts | 17 
      • One by one the penguins steal my sanity
      Reply #882: Aug 14, 2011 03:45:27 am
      I'm not overly worried with today's result. Dissapointed, yes, but we created chances and played well so that's a big positive for me, especially if you compare this match with some of those from the last season.

This team is still far from it's best. We had 4 new players in our starting XI (Adam, Downing, Enrique, Henderson), out of which one joined the team yesterday.

We also played without our best player (arguably) Gerrard, and Johnson who had been replaced by 18 year old.

Yes, we should've done better, and we now have unnecessary pressure before our next match with Arsenal. Also, there is 17 days to go before the end of the transfer window to trim the squad and perhaps bring another player and I think we should use that time.

This is a great take and I think this is how most of us feel. It's not the end of the world. But it is something we have to learn from.

Here's the big thing I took from today: We have the players and the tactics to be great (1st half) BUT those players and those tactics are inconsistent and can turn subpar in an instant (2nd half).

The question now is do we have the mental toughness to grab a hold of that greatness and ride it to the top? Or will we let inconsistency drown us?
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,131 posts | 456 
      Reply #883: Aug 14, 2011 05:31:08 am
      I think this game was about the fitness of most of the players, they were not ready for 90 minutes.  I think pre-season was just too much about putting players in the shop window.  Carroll looked O.k physically, because he played in them and Enrique must have had a good pre-season too. 
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #884: Aug 14, 2011 05:33:56 am
       We had Sunderland on the canvas and we let them get up on their feet  when they were there for the taking.I thought our passing and attacking game in the first half was excellent ,all we need is the lads to gel and we will be up and running.Disappointed with the end result but I feel we can only improve and that cannot be too bad.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,860 posts | 6790 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #885: Aug 14, 2011 07:49:27 am
      Gutted we dropped 2 points.

What a differnce in the 2nd half, we were terrible.

Great 1st half with lots of excitment and plenty of chances but in the 2nd half we didn't come out to play. Disappointing that as we were going to our favoured KOP end.

Pick yourselves up lads and give us a result against the Arsenal to get our season on track.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #886: Aug 14, 2011 07:58:50 am
      Not putting a game to bed and dropping points? High up there on the list of reasons why it has been twenty odd years without a title. But this thread, as with all match threads, got ridiculous.  Overplaying how "good" Sunderland were second half and now I have seen the full game I'm even more angry about the refereeing. Dowd cost us two points yesterday. However we need to close games out better, it has cost us soon many points it is unreal.
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,035 posts | 69 
      Reply #887: Aug 14, 2011 08:06:13 am
      We did,nt lose and a point was a fair result in the end. Yes we do need to improve performances and we will. We did give 4 debuts yesterday and not forgeting Enrique came in after just 24 hours of signing and Lucas and Suarez have had a hard Copa America to deal with so its really a case of the side gelling. Not a great performance by Hendo but he was bought for the future, hes a young lad and no doubt he will improve. Not sure why Flanno was put in rather than Kelly. Maybe Kenny thought he was the only one he could trust as replacement CB on the bench. Maybe a few changes for the Arsenal game. Johnson in for Flanno, if fit and Kuyt in for Hendo on the right. I still think we have great cover at RB and Johnson could be pushed further forward to RW IMO. On the whole its the first game and i,m not too worried, we need to improve and i think we will. Suarez is going to get fitter and i think big Andy is going to score 20 goals this season. I just wish we had someone with pace on the right wing like we have on the left with Downing, who was very unlucky not to score. Cant wait for the next game, top 4 here we come.
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #888: Aug 14, 2011 08:35:56 am
      We created enough chances to win the match,it was just that we couldn't take them and put the match to rest.In matches like these when you are not at your best,you need a bit of luck and it deserted us on 3 crucial moments:

1.Suarez penalty and the build-up to it.It should have been a red card instead of a yellow.I know it's the ref's job to get the decision right but wonder why none of our players barked that in his ears.I am sure if Gerrard was there,the guy would have been sent off.
      2.Stew's fantastic run and shot,only if that ball would have gone in we wold have been hailing our two new buys (Adam and Downing) for their hands in the two goals
      3.Larsson scored a peach of a goal for the equalizer and I don't see him scoring a goal like that or anything even near that quality in his entire career

Lets' just hope Chelsea and ManU also draw or lose their games and don't take advantage of our slip.It's the first game of the season but the title race is on.
      « Last Edit: Aug 14, 2011 08:53:34 am by red_kaiser »
      bobobobo
      • Forum Ian St John

• 439 posts | 20 
      Reply #889: Aug 14, 2011 09:39:09 am
      I think yesterday showed still just how reliant on various players we are...its not as bad as when it was El P**** with Gerrard but I thought yesterday when we took off suarez, we didnt look like getting a goal from anywhere, as when suarez is on, his running off the ball takes defenders out the game...hence the space opened for downings run in the first half, Adam was good without being great in the first half and I think downing will get better and better with time - he, Adam and suarez are on yesterdays showing the ones who pose a threat to the opposition, this isnt saying Lucas wasnt good, coz he was, but getting forward and scoring/making goals isnt his job in our team, but when Gerrard comes back, again I think we'll rely too heavily on he suarez and maybe downing, Carroll could and needs to step it up and I think hes the most likely to join those 3 as or dangermen, I know its the first game of the season, but everyone wanted a great start, which we got...for 45 mins, other factors could contribute like fitness etc, but you look at united, they have alot more strength in depth going forward than we do...we have one great winger they have nani, young, valencia and giggs who are all capable of playing for them but if we lose downing to injury, back to square one :/ not sure how we'll do this season :/
      Kop_Red
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 375 posts |
      Reply #890: Aug 14, 2011 10:03:44 am
      Not seen any highlights or replays of the game so this is just from memory.

First of all, no problems with the line up. Its too easy saying 'we should have gone with him rather than him' once the game has finished. That 11 was strong enough to beat sunderland.

Something ive debated about pre season on here, henderson is not a wide man, yesterday was more proof of that for me. Hes a central midfielder and if kenny keeps playing him out wide then i can see us struggling down that flank this season.

Gutted for Flanny. his bottle went when he got tackled trying to take on their winger. Loooked like he got caught nappping for their goal but will have to see the replay. The lad had a poor game though and was the weak link.

Enrique had a solid debut. Thought he was excellent. Didnt push forward as much as i thought he would though.

Downing and Adam both did ok and showed flashes. Both looked un fit to me though, as in tired. dont no if anybody else thought the same.

Lack of movement up top is worrying, its only suarez who moves about in the team.

Why richardson didnt go ill never no, awful refereeing but no excuses for the second half performance, it was really poor. So disappointing because the first half we knocked it around pretty well.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #891: Aug 14, 2011 10:17:42 am
      First of all, no problems with the line up. Its too easy saying 'we should have gone with him rather than him' once the game has finished. That 11 was strong enough to beat sunderland.

Well, the final result tells another story ...
      Red Horizon
      • Forum John Toshack

• 246 posts |
      Reply #892: Aug 14, 2011 10:25:45 am
      There are lot's of should haves and could haves and on skimming some posts i've found them quite fair..

On taking my seat i asked a young lad sitting next to me"how do you think we'll get on today?" for which he replied" a draw"..it was the same conclusion as me..

I didn't really quibble with any player choices as i was glad to see the new signings and in retrospect it's easy to to wise after the event though i've noted that in most before the game posts,some were disappointed with the choices that started....  Kuyt,Kelly and Aquilani being the ones some were disappointed not to see....really? Flannagan more than held his own last season,Aquilani didn't really show much in those rare few occasions he played(excuses besides) and when Kuyt came on....nothing changed but in hindsight i admit maybe he should have started.

I can see were the disappointment is coming from but i think most expectations are far too high,this is a re-building process and it's going to take time and mistakes are going to be made and some players who we all thought were good buys will prove to be otherwise for one reason or another and we should accept that and the quicker we do the less disappointed we'll be......for the time being.

This isn't a short term project,after what was gone on before,we need to think long term and i believe that is what's happening....i heard the frustration yesterday and i partly concur but i never voiced it to the pitch as this is just the beginning of a new era and yesterday was the first match and we have bought promise....Some more will be added and some will leave but i think you should expect only promise from this season and progress from which your obvious disappointment will turn to optimism.

Oh yes...and on the actual game it's self....Sunderland had the last 20 minutes of the first half and most of the second,they more than deserved a point....Wes Brown had a blinder and kept Carroll and Luis very quiet save for the first 20 in which Luis was running him ragged..

Those long balls to Carroll just got tiresome in the end and both Brown and Ferdinand has a field day with them...things will get better though.

Larrson scored a belter....and despite his constant ribbing(big fat head is just boring now)Bruce got his tactics bob on..roll on the Arsenal for another draw.
      Misty
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,585 posts | 62 
      • At the end of the storm- Is a golden sky....
      Reply #893: Aug 14, 2011 10:33:55 am
      Dissapointed, walking out of Anfield yesterday felt like we had lost.

Dowd is a tw*t,
      Suarez suprised everyone with that penalty,
      We were very unlucky, but there will also be those games this season where we are lucky.

Bring on Arsenal, they had a worse game than us!
      Tadders

• 6,828 posts | 580 
      Reply #894: Aug 14, 2011 10:39:25 am
      Watching the highlights, Sunderland had one effort on goal and scored. We had a good goal disallowed, and missed a penalty, downing missed scoring the goal of the season by 2 inches. In retrospect it could have been 4-1......we did tire towards the end and the beauty is we have good players to come on.
      So I am a lot happier than when I was just listening to sky sports yesterday because we showed we can play football. The person to miss out when Gerrard is fit has to be Henderson, Flanagan replaced with Kelly and we will win a lot of games.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,967 posts | 5023 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #895: Aug 14, 2011 11:00:36 am
      I cant beleive some of you lot, FF'S it's the first game, 7 of our players were either making their respective debuts or hadn't trained properly, i thought we were f***in awesome first half especially, how many of you were slightly worried after the pre-season games ? i was tbh, i was thinking F**k me we need to improve massively, but that first half brought me to my senses, we looked and played like it was December never mind August, in the second half we simply ran out of ideas, Sunderland pushed further up which in turn curtailed our midfield, we needed a composed midfield player such as Gerrard or dare i say Aquilani, Hendo needs time, Adam was exposed and lacks a tackle,Meireles again cant tackle, Flanno fu**ed up by giving Larsson to much room,

Downing was superb and was very unlucky to hit the bar, Carroll got collared for a slight touch on Brown, the goal should have stood, Had Suarez turned left instead of right he would have scored, as for the pen, well he can be forgiven for that, first game, not trained, too much adrenalin etc,

i said before that i wouldn't be disappointed if we failed to win, i stick by that,on another day we would have won 4-1, Beach-ball head and his wee pals will be cock-a-Hoop, a point gained away from home, so what positives can we take, well, the first half performance was superb, we were not at our strongest, we are still a bit rusty, there is plenty of room for improvement, we will get better, much much better,
      i'm as much enthusiastic now as i was before yesterday, in fact even more so after having watched the 1st half, we lost our way a tad second half but that will be sorted with hard work and confidence, it's looking good PPL, looking good.   YNWA
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #896: Aug 14, 2011 11:03:28 am
      Very disappointed as ALL I imagine
       very unlucky in the 1st.  but stopped playing in the 2nd ( was it us that took the foot off the gas or have sunderland changed thier tactics and were better than liverpool in the 2nd?
         hope its the former
        we should have been 2/3 up in the 1st half but These games happen and will happen to every team in the EPL
         hope the players learn from this game that you cannot loose your concentration even if you are 3/4 up , let alone ONE
        Move on for the next (arsenal) game

YNWA

Quick Reply