Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 3rd of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W3 D0 L0

The referee appraisal thread

Read 23231 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,348 posts | 4968 
      Re: The referee appraisal thread
      Reply #161: Oct 01, 2011 11:39:59 pm
      Lee Dixon saying on MOTD that the ref should come on TV and tell us why he makes decisions but I don't see the point in this to be honest.

If he has given a red he will give his reason and all those who disagree will still disagree.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #162: Oct 01, 2011 11:44:35 pm
      It was a terrible decision on replay. The one thing (and im not excusing it) is that on first view, in the heat of the moment, it looked worse maybe. And Luis playing it up helped as well, he takes a look at Luis for a second and then you can see him make the decision.

Ah well, every football fan knows this happens. I'm glad we were a beneficiary for once.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #163: Oct 01, 2011 11:46:02 pm
      Boss reffing performance I thought...  :f_tongueincheek:
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #164: Oct 01, 2011 11:48:10 pm

whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #165: Oct 01, 2011 11:59:20 pm
      Good pic Mac Red, but it was a foot raised with studs showing so deffo worth a yellow. A red was harsh, but I reckon Hibbert was very lucky to not see red later on.

About time we got some luck from the officials imo.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,685 posts | 6981 
      Reply #166: Oct 02, 2011 12:05:17 am
      Poor game from Atkinson.

Rodwell's wasn't a red, but didn't give anything to Fellatio and Hibbert for much much worse tackles.

Red card was the first lucky decision we've had this season but the ref was very inconsistent.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,348 posts | 4968 
      Reply #167: Oct 02, 2011 12:07:28 am

A still shot doesn't tell the whole story. It looks bad there but when watching in real time it wasn't that bad a tackle.

But as I said it's about time we got a few decisions our way.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #168: Oct 02, 2011 12:08:34 am
      The picture is quite misleading as Rodwell pulled out and by the time he made contact with Suarez it was with his shin bone.

Certainly not a red in my opinion, but as JD said Felliani's and Hibberts were much worse so the decision probably evened itself out somewhat.
      TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #169: Oct 02, 2011 12:10:23 am
      @Mac_Red -

Your point being...?

He wasn't coming in hard, or fast, he didn't go through the man, he didn't have his foot high or his studs particularly up and open, they are towards the ball.  I am sure you could find several worse looking stills than that of our players on them.  It was never a foul. 
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,348 posts | 4968 
      Reply #170: Oct 02, 2011 12:12:04 am

I still think it was a foul mate, just not a red card.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #171: Oct 02, 2011 12:35:52 am
      The picture is quite misleading as Rodwell pulled out and by the time he made contact with Suarez it was with his shin bone.

True. Or his knee. The ref has seen intention in his face and made the mistake there and then.

We were due a decision though. And no better time to get one than in a derby. Until things change, this is how things will be.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #172: Oct 02, 2011 12:48:36 am
      Regardless of individual decisions,most of which are debateable,imo the standard of so called "professional" refereeing in this country,is deriseable.There seems to be no consistency,and far worse there is obviously,no punitive auditing of the system.The "inmates control the goal".Shame on those in charge,I hope that you can sleep with the consequences,of your'e decisions.Perhaps we might resurrect our internet campaign to rid the game of yet another cancer,this time Global Warriors?Not "Red Brigade" but "Football Brigade".
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #173: Oct 02, 2011 12:53:23 am
      @Mac_Red -

Your point being...?

He wasn't coming in hard, or fast, he didn't go through the man, he didn't have his foot high or his studs particularly up and open, they are towards the ball.  I am sure you could find several worse looking stills than that of our players on them.  It was never a foul. 

It was still a sliding tackle with open studs on his tackling foot, and he did caught Suarez with his other foot ... When one of these happens, all you need is a trigger happy referee ... Fortunately, we were not at the receiving end this time ...
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,150 posts | 3385 
      Reply #174: Oct 02, 2011 11:21:20 am
      I still think it was a foul mate, just not a red card.

Weren't a foul to me mate, I thought it was a belting tackle. And if you can't win the ball with a perfectly clean challenge without seeing red, might as well take the art of tackling out the game. It's idiotic that such challenges aren't allowed especially when it's momentum that's took him on Suarez. And if a knee on the ankle makes Suarez jump four foot in the air, he needs to man up.

As for the other "main" tackles in the game, well Lucas won the ball in his challenge but cos it's from behind, it's a free kick and yellow? Nah you're alright. He wins the ball with a good sliding challenge, let the game go.

I didn't really see Cahill's on Adam that bad either, both were going for the ball, both had their feet high and Adam just happened to get the first and Cahill caught him. Nothing really to do there, wouldn't even call that a booking as they're both going for the same ball in the same way.

Fellaini on Lucas was a nasty challenge, studs right across the ankle nowhere near the ball. Should of been a yellow that, it's not a red but it's certainly a yellow. Could of done some serious damage to Lucas' ankle - luckily he didn't.

Hibbert on Adam was again a nasty challenge but only a yellow again for me. Late challenge, right through him but it weren't a double footer, shin high kind of tackle. Certainly wasn't a leg breaker or anything like that. Should of been a yellow.

Jagielka on Suarez for the penalty was a penalty and a booking. No more.

All in all Atkinson fu**ed the entire game up and I'm not one of those who thinks cos we've had bad luck it shouldn't matter and it'll even itself up. Nah not for me, if the ref is sh*t then he's sh*t regardless of how much bad luck we've had or if we're due a decision. Does that mean we're due a bad decision in the next game? Cos this place will be fuming if it does go against us.

Atkinson ruined the game plain and simple.

But considering we won against our biggest rivals, I'm still very happy despite the ref being a total F**k up.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #175: Oct 02, 2011 11:32:49 am

It is interesting to hear the opinion from people that have never suffered a serious football injury ... A sliding "knee on the ankle" hit can very easily brake the ankle (or seriously damage the knee in the process), since the entire weight of the tacklers body is transferred to the contact spot at that moment ... Anyone who has played football would know that ...
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #176: Oct 02, 2011 11:40:36 am
      Ha Ha Ha F***ing Ha.

F**k me I've seen worse tackles in under 11's football that my son plays in, jesus christ.

It was never a red card, not yesterday, not today and not in two weeks time, the ref got the decision wrong, although I'll not complain as we benefited from it.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #177: Oct 02, 2011 12:01:54 pm

The referee had every right to show a red card ... A sliding tackle, with open studs ...

Just because Rodwell caught Suarez with his knee, and not with his studs, it doesn't make the foul less reckless ...
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #178: Oct 02, 2011 12:05:03 pm
      He caught him with his knee/shin if that picture shows anything compared to your original picture it shows Rodwell pulled out of the challenge.

It was never a red and I'm not so blinkered and biased to suggest it was.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #179: Oct 02, 2011 12:13:10 pm
      He caught him with his knee/shin if that picture shows anything compared to your original picture it shows Rodwell pulled out of the challenge.

It was never a red and I'm not so blinkered and biased to suggest it was.
      Rodwell has never pulled out of the challenge ...

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #180: Oct 02, 2011 12:13:34 pm
      In my opinion; it was a foul, only because the Ref gave it. It was a Red, only because the Ref gave it but the Ref did give it. sh*t happens. All teams end up on the wrong side of bad decisions given in the heat of the moment.

I'll take this one just the same as I took the beach-ball incident or (going back a while) the 'penalty' that Forest got against us in a League Cup final replay in '78 to win the Cup.
      TKIDLLTK
      • Started Topic

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #181: Oct 02, 2011 12:14:15 pm
      When I think about it, the ref fu**ed us over too.  Giving a stupid red to Rodwell covers over the poor Fellaini challenge and the deffo red from Hibbert on Adam.
      Scottbot

• 9,628 posts | 2161 
      Reply #182: Oct 02, 2011 12:14:37 pm
      It is interesting to hear the opinion from people that have never suffered a serious football injury ... A sliding "knee on the ankle" hit can very easily brake the ankle (or seriously damage the knee in the process), since the entire weight of the tacklers body is transferred to the contact spot at that moment ... Anyone who has played football would know that ...

Always the expert no matter the subject.

The tackle deserved a yellow. If it had been the other way around we'd all have been going crazy, yourself included.
      TKIDLLTK
      • Started Topic

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #183: Oct 02, 2011 12:18:16 pm
      Mac_Red are you just a contrarian looking for an argument...? or are you a genuine pussy who wants to take tackling and contact out of football?

Quick Reply