Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 16th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P16 W12 D1 L3

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Do you care about the League Cup?

Yes
      (96.8%)
      No
      (2.4%)
      Indifferent
      (0.8%)

Who cares about the League Cup?

Read 23933 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,674 posts | 6968 
      Re: Who cares about the League Cup?
      Reply #230: Jan 12, 2012 11:02:35 pm
      Will enjoy looking back through some of the earlier posts in this thread to see who was 'on board' with our chase for silverware.

Even if we don't get to the final, or even if we do and don't win - it is so refreshing to see Liverpool treating all competitions with respect.  I was a big Rafa fan but I was always of the classic LFC historical opinion that all trophies are there to be won, and at times we didn't see that.
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #231: Jan 12, 2012 11:12:32 pm
      Will enjoy looking back through some of the earlier posts in this thread to see who was 'on board' with our chase for silverware.

Even if we don't get to the final, or even if we do and don't win - it is so refreshing to see Liverpool treating all competitions with respect.  I was a big Rafa fan but I was always of the classic LFC historical opinion that all trophies are there to be won, and at times we didn't see that.
      It has given us great memories, it"s the likes of the Mancs that disrespect it and some of our younger supporters that don"t appreciate it and only see the financial side of it.But when we win it they"ll be all over it saying how great it is to win a trophy.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #232: Jan 12, 2012 11:58:42 pm
      I mean it is our Cup, nobody has more of them than we do. To not treat the competition with the respect it deserves spits right into the face of our history. Kenny and the club have approached this competition with the type effort and respect our history deserves.
      Bl00D
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 750 posts |
      Reply #233: Jan 13, 2012 12:01:44 pm
      I loved it when it was the Milk cup, and after all a trophy is a trophy, a little more silverware to put with the rest. I think under Kenny we'll need a new ground just to store them all ;)
      SEANOBYRNE78
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 723 posts |
      Reply #234: Jan 13, 2012 12:07:41 pm
      If we go on to claim the League cup it will give us no end of confidence be great !
      stooby
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 339 posts | 10 
      Reply #235: Jan 13, 2012 09:20:02 pm
      If we win it it could be a fantastic stepping stone for next season. Would give all our players imense confidence for next season knowing that they are capable of lifting silverwear.
      Especially when there are so many new players and injured players this season, Kenny would just say look what we won last season when we were all just learning how each other play, this season go out and win the league.
      Its not like its been Mickey Mouse either as we would have beaten some very decent sides to win it.
      Heres Hoping.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,256 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #236: Jan 25, 2012 10:54:13 pm
      I think I have made my mind up on this. Yes.
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #237: Jan 25, 2012 10:55:12 pm
      Nah, can't be bothered with it to be honest.  Let's just put the kids out. :D
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #238: Jan 25, 2012 10:56:56 pm
      Bit like Chinese, can take it or leave it.
      SEANOBYRNE78
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 723 posts |
      Reply #239: Jan 25, 2012 11:00:34 pm
      Be magic we win this bit of silverware for Kenny on his return nice !
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #240: Jan 25, 2012 11:00:51 pm

Its not like its been Mickey Mouse either as we would have beaten some very decent sides to win it.

We have beaten the best, at full strenght
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #241: Jan 25, 2012 11:02:58 pm
      It's a Mickey Mouse cup when you're knocked out of it but it's a "Trophy is still a trophy" when you are in it.

Even though it's not as prestigious as other cups, we still need to beat good teams to reach here regardless if reserves were played.
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #242: Jan 25, 2012 11:10:38 pm
      It's a Mickey Mouse cup when you're knocked out of it but it's a "Trophy is still a trophy" when you are in it.

Even though it's not as prestigious as other cups, we still need to beat good teams to reach here regardless if reserves were played.

We beat (what I assume were) full strength Exeter and Brighton sides, beat a near full strength Chelsea team away, then beat City's strongest possible side over two legs.  They were missing Yaya, Kompany, Kolo and Balotelli, but meh, these things happen.  I am made up.  Roll on to Wembley!
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,627 posts | 7146 
      Reply #243: Jan 25, 2012 11:17:09 pm
      Ask Bob Paisley
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,674 posts | 6968 
      Reply #244: Jan 25, 2012 11:25:39 pm

Wrong.  See the first post in this thread.

Trophies are what Liverpool have always been about.  Finishing 4th doesn't provide you with memories or puts silverware in the cabinet.  Roll on Saturday now - let's start the second assault on Wembley!
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #245: Jan 25, 2012 11:26:40 pm
      It's amusing to even see this thread title now  :laugh:
      Gow
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,531 posts | 282 
      Reply #246: Jan 25, 2012 11:27:31 pm

Trophies are what Liverpool have always been about.  Finishing 4th doesn't provide you with memories or puts silverware in the cabinet.  Roll on Saturday now - let's start the second assault on Wembley!

Roar.
      RedWilly

• 9,202 posts | 1644 
      Reply #247: Jan 25, 2012 11:28:50 pm
      Anyone care to say they don't care now!! Would love to win this (obviously) and you can see how much it means to Kenny and the team to get some silverware in the cabinet.

Stevie got it spot in when saying he would rather win this 3 or 4 times, rather than finish 4th in the league.
      Scottbot

• 9,623 posts | 2159 
      Reply #248: Jan 26, 2012 07:42:40 am
      Still buzzing this morning! The funny thing is I asked my mate last night who we beat in the  semi to get to tthe final in 05 because neither of us could remember and we had to go on wiki to find out. I guess it's one of those trophies that can mean more or less depending on where your at as a big club. When Evans won it in 95 (think it was 95) it was a huge achievment coz we had been through a few tough years under Souness but when Houliier won it in 03 (despite it being against the mancs) it was seen as glossing over the cracks of a poor season. If we can win this one it'll feel very much like that win under Evans.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #249: Jan 26, 2012 08:03:45 am
      I'm almost certain I've written this before but... to suggest that it's a 'Mickey Mouse trophy' is pissing on the history and memory of the great Liverpool sides that have won it before, in my opinion.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #250: Jan 26, 2012 08:09:24 am
      I'm almost certain I've written this before but... to suggest that it's a 'Mickey Mouse trophy' is pissing on the history and memory of the great Liverpool sides that have won it before, in my opinion.
      Not only won it but won it for 4 years on the trot in 1981/2/3/4,i do not think any other club can equal that.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #251: Jan 26, 2012 08:26:01 am

No but unfortunately winning the Carling Cup does not bring the bonuses of Champions League football, more money into the club and a higher calibre player to be more attracted to join.

Obviously delighted to be going to Wembley but what would be a greater catalyst for success:
      Winning the Carling Cup and coming sixth
      OR
      Losing and coming 4th?
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #252: Jan 26, 2012 08:36:33 am
      No but unfortunately winning the Carling Cup does not bring the bonuses of Champions League football, more money into the club and a higher calibre player to be more attracted to join.

Obviously delighted to be going to Wembley but what would be a greater catalyst for success:
      Winning the Carling Cup and coming sixth
      OR
      Losing and coming 4th?
      I think the high calibre playerplayers who signed for Man City were attracted by the high wages paid  and would of signed for them irrespective of Cith being in the ChampionsLeague. Also I would not bet against us finishing in the top four.we have still got plenty to play for.

Quick Reply