Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Best 5 Transfers (IN or OUT) For LFC - Premier League Years

Read 19611 times
      AnfieldIron
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 63 posts |
      Re: Best 5 Transfers (IN or OUT) For LFC - Premier League Years
      Reply #207: Sep 08, 2011 11:25:17 pm

He did, but I think with hindsight that the timing was right.  I don't think Kevin with Souness would have worked like Kenny with Souness.  It was a good move for us, just as Torres was in January, though Kevin was miles better than Torres.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,143 posts | 3383 
      Reply #208: Sep 08, 2011 11:26:56 pm
      It's a moot point - how did Keegan sh*t on us is the question.

By telling the club he was going to leave regardless at the end of the 76/77 season. He got too big for his boots and thought himself bigger than the club. As it happened he made the wrong choice and when he returned with Hamburg months later, he and his new team mates got their arses handed to them by Kenny and the Liverpool boys.

The fans turned on Keegan before he left because of what he'd done. He's never been forgiven by the Liverpool fans and more to the point he's never forgiven us. He always has sly digs at us.

He sh*t on the club. Pure and simple.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #209: Sep 08, 2011 11:28:54 pm
      He did, but I think with hindsight that the timing was right.  I don't think Kevin with Souness would have worked like Kenny with Souness.  It was a good move for us, just as Torres was in January, though Kevin was miles better than Torres.

Like I said Paisley told Dalglish that he would have signed him even if Kevin had stayed. I think Souness is probably the player we would have missed out on (no evidence of that .... just my opinion)

Paisley always insisted that Kenny and Kevin could have played together, I'm not as sure, but you don't argue with Bob.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,043 posts | 3967 
      Reply #210: Sep 08, 2011 11:30:01 pm
      He is on record as saying some really bad sh*t about Liverpool after he left, usual F***ing crap about wheels getting robbed off his car outside Anfield and all that carry on.
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #211: Sep 08, 2011 11:32:22 pm
      He is on record as saying some really bad sh*t about Liverpool after he left, usual F***ing crap about wheels getting robbed off his car outside Anfield.

If it happened, why is he shitting on us for saying it?

If it's the truth, it's the truth - I admire honesty.

On the other hand, if he was taking the piss then he's a tw*t.
      AnfieldIron
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 63 posts |
      Reply #212: Sep 08, 2011 11:33:06 pm
      The fans turned on Keegan before he left because of what he'd done.

Can't agree with you there.  We were all right behind him in his last match in Rome against BMG when he was the best player on the park.  We were disappointed, true, but we soon got over him when we realised what Dalglish was going to be.  I was present at Kevin's last home match and I don't recall any abuse or ill-feeling other than "you should be staying at Anfield" which was disappointment, not animosity.  Kevin was a great player for us and he left at the right time.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,143 posts | 3383 
      Reply #213: Sep 08, 2011 11:34:34 pm
      Like I said Paisley told Dalglish that he would have signed him even if Kevin had stayed. I think Souness is probably the player we would have missed out on (no evidence of that .... just my opinion)

Paisley always insisted that Kenny and Kevin could have played together, I'm not as sure, but you don't argue with Bob.

Kenny wouldn't of had the number 7 then though.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #214: Sep 08, 2011 11:36:45 pm
      By telling the club he was going to leave regardless at the end of the 76/77 season. He got too big for his boots and thought himself bigger than the club. As it happened he made the wrong choice and when he returned with Hamburg months later, he and his new team mates got their arses handed to them by Kenny and the Liverpool boys.

The fans turned on Keegan before he left because of what he'd done. He's never been forgiven by the Liverpool fans and more to the point he's never forgiven us. He always has sly digs at us.

He sh*t on the club. Pure and simple.

Bit harsh imo, but factually true mate. He gave us an extra season (cost us £500k as I think he was allowed to choose Hamburg when Madrid had offered £1million)

Like I said in the other thread (Torres?)I don't think Keegan ever had a strong connection with Liverpool.... just to Shankly.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #215: Sep 08, 2011 11:37:03 pm
      That's fair enough mate you gave an opinion which is what this forum is about and opinions should be respected. He/she didn't as their opinion was everyone was talking bullshit and that people not wanting him had an agenda. That's what I was referring to.

I'll lay it out for ya real simple wise one. Anyone who thinks Rafa going was a better out than H&G is speaking bullshit.

But hey, that's my opinion.

And I didn't say anyone not wanting him had an agenda. The ones who bring him up in baiting ways like you did have an agenda.
      TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #216: Sep 08, 2011 11:37:05 pm

dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,143 posts | 3383 
      Reply #217: Sep 08, 2011 11:49:21 pm
      Can't agree with you there.  We were all right behind him in his last match in Rome against BMG when he was the best player on the park.  We were disappointed, true, but we soon got over him when we realised what Dalglish was going to be.  I was present at Kevin's last home match and I don't recall any abuse or ill-feeling other than "you should be staying at Anfield" which was disappointment, not animosity.  Kevin was a great player for us and he left at the right time.

Well I've heard many a Liverpool fan say that Keegan was turned on. Not to the point where he was being booed by the fans, as that simply doesn't happen with Liverpool fans (or certainly didn't back then) but he was never idolised the way he had been in previous seasons.

The fans turned against him because of what happened before the move. People have continued to have a disliking towards him because of what he's said since his move and still to this day.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,143 posts | 3383 
      Reply #218: Sep 08, 2011 11:56:53 pm
      Bit harsh imo, but factually true mate. He gave us an extra season (cost us £500k as I think he was allowed to choose Hamburg when Madrid had offered £1million)

Like I said in the other thread (Torres?)I don't think Keegan ever had a strong connection with Liverpool.... just to Shankly.

I have heard he did wanna leave after the UEFA Cup win in 76 mate but Bob and the board (was it Peter Robinson and John Smith in then?) convinced him to give it another year. Not sure if it was public knowledge though or just came out after he'd left.

However he did and unlike some others we've had, he did still put the effort in during his final season. And as AnfieldIron rightfully said, he was our best player in Rome 77. But because before the season started he said he's leaving no matter what, it did turn fans against him.

And like pretty much every single player who leaves this club, Keegan's career went downwards once he left Anfield - starting with a twatting at Anfield with his new club.
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #219: Sep 08, 2011 11:57:12 pm
      Well I've heard many a Liverpool fan say that Keegan was turned on. Not to the point where he was being booed by the fans, as that simply doesn't happen with Liverpool fans (or certainly didn't back then) but he was never idolised the way he had been in previous seasons.

The fans turned against him because of what happened before the move. People have continued to have a disliking towards him because of what he's said since his move and still to this day.

In fairness, if the fans had turned against him just because he wanted to play abroad, I'm not really surprised he had a dig back.

If they are getting paid, they should give their all - and Keegan did, right up until the end.

I don't really like him, cos I think he's a bottler, but I don't actively dislike him.
      AnfieldIron
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 63 posts |
      Reply #220: Sep 09, 2011 12:01:58 am

Oh, I agree he wasn't well received when he came back with Newcastle and his other clubs.  I remember the fans taunting him when we hammered Hamburg too.  But this was all after he had gone.  And as for saying silly things, I'm afraid Kevin did that a lot while he was with us. His worst escapade was flinging his shirt off at Wembley; and even dafter was Billy Bremner copying him.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #221: Sep 09, 2011 12:02:01 am
      I have heard he did wanna leave after the UEFA Cup win in 76 mate but Bob and the board (was it Peter Robinson and John Smith in then?) convinced him to give it another year. Not sure if it was public knowledge though or just came out after he'd left.

However he did and unlike some others we've had, he did still put the effort in during his final season. And as AnfieldIron rightfully said, he was our best player in Rome 77. But because before the season started he said he's leaving no matter what, it did turn fans against him.

And like pretty much every single player who leaves this club, Keegan's career went downwards once he left Anfield - starting with a twatting at Anfield with his new club.

Not sure just when it came out now Bill, but it must have been a while before he left. I was going out with a girl from Glasgow at the time. Spent weeks patiently explaining to her and her dad how Dalglish could never replace Keegan. :D Thankfully we had finished before Kenny played for us. 
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,143 posts | 3383 
      Reply #222: Sep 09, 2011 12:07:39 am
      In fairness, if the fans had turned against him just because he wanted to play abroad, I'm not really surprised he had a dig back.

If they are getting paid, they should give their all - and Keegan did, right up until the end.

I don't really like him, cos I think he's a bottler, but I don't actively dislike him.

I don't think it was because he wanted to play abroad though, it was more because he said "well I'm off whatever happens at the end of the season - thanks for making the player I am but now I'm too good for you."

It wasn't wanting to play abroad because he was soon back in England with Southampton. Maybe that's because he's a bottler who couldn't hack Germany.

I can't stand him. But each their own I suppose.
      Oh, I agree he wasn't well received when he came back with Newcastle and his other clubs.  I remember the fans taunting him when we hammered Hamburg too.  But this was all after he had gone.  And as for saying silly things, I'm afraid Kevin did that a lot while he was with us. His worst escapade was flinging his shirt off at Wembley; and even dafter was Billy Bremner copying him.

Weren't that the Charity Shield an the only time he got sent off playing for us?

What about his advert with Henry Cooper - another of his smart moves. Or falling off his bike on Superstars, nasty fall that one.

Worst thing he's ever done though has to be his hit single Head Over Heels in Love.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #223: Sep 09, 2011 12:08:00 am

A lot of the bad feelin was caused because he kept saying it wasn't for the money, but was for footballing reasons.Which a few took to be a slight on the club.When Souness left he made no secret of the fact he was leaving for the money. No one seemed to have a problem when Souness left..... broke my heart though.  
      AnfieldIron
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 63 posts |
      Reply #224: Sep 09, 2011 12:08:38 am
      And like pretty much every single player who leaves this club, Keegan's career went downwards once he left Anfield.

Keegan was European Footballer of the Year twice while he played for Hamburg.  I think he got injured and his career ended early.  He played for Southampton and then Newcastle but they were hardly top clubs at the time.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #225: Sep 09, 2011 12:10:28 am
      Keegan was European Footballer of the Year twice while he played for Hamburg.  I think he got injured and his career ended early.  He played for Southampton and then Newcastle but they were hardly top clubs at the time.

We had first option on Keegan when he returned. We never took it up, and I have never known why not. Supposedly he retired after a defender gave him a couple of yards start and still caught him. He didn't realise just how fast Lawrenson really was :)
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,143 posts | 3383 
      Reply #226: Sep 09, 2011 12:11:52 am
      Not sure just when it came out now Bill, but it must have been a while before he left. I was going out with a girl from Glasgow at the time. Spent weeks patiently explaining to her and her dad how Dalglish could never replace Keegan. :D Thankfully we had finished before Kenny played for us. 

Think that's why the fans turned on him so much mate because what he meant to them (can't say us as I wasn't around back then :laugh:). He was the linchpin basically. So him saying he was leaving hurt so much. Probably one of the reasons why the fans took to Kenny so much, as well as his ability, was because how quickly it helped the fans forget Keegan. Similar with Suarez and Torres.

Because of the affection towards Torres, we've taken to Suarez so quickly because he's made us forget about the Spaniard straight away. So that's put Suarez on god like status already, same way it was with Kenny. Make us forget somebody who has sh*t on us and you'll be a hero.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #227: Sep 09, 2011 12:15:56 am
      Think that's why the fans turned on him so much mate because what he meant to them (can't say us as I wasn't around back then :laugh:). He was the linchpin basically. So him saying he was leaving hurt so much. Probably one of the reasons why the fans took to Kenny so much, as well as his ability, was because how quickly it helped the fans forget Keegan. Similar with Suarez and Torres.

Because of the affection towards Torres, we've taken to Suarez so quickly because he's made us forget about the Spaniard straight away. So that's put Suarez on god like status already, same way it was with Kenny. Make us forget somebody who has sh*t on us and you'll be a hero.

Like McManaman, Keegan will never get full credit for just how good he was for us mate.  
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,143 posts | 3383 
      Reply #228: Sep 09, 2011 12:21:02 am
      Keegan was European Footballer of the Year twice while he played for Hamburg.  I think he got injured and his career ended early.  He played for Southampton and then Newcastle but they were hardly top clubs at the time.

If he'd stayed at Liverpool, his career would of been a whole lot better. He won one trophy with Hamburg, in those three years he was in Germany we won five trophies if you include the Charity Shield and the Super Cup we won against Keegan's Hamburg side. Two League titles and of course another European Cup.

His career went downhill after leaving Anfield, like so many do. It's safe to say, he'd of had more success at Liverpool than he did by going to Germany.
      Like McManaman, Keegan will never get full credit for just how good he was for us mate. 

Keegan will always be held in higher regard though mate due to the fact that he did still put the effort in during his final year. McManaman just had no interest in the club in that final year. Sickened me to see as growing up Macca was one of me all time faves but lost all respect for him now.
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #229: Sep 09, 2011 12:24:30 am

Shaggy was much worse than keegan - at least we got money for keegan.

That floppy haired tw*t deliberately ran his contrat down so he could pick up more wages at RM

Different kettle of fish for me.

Quick Reply