Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 7th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P19 W7 D7 L5

The 'Rooney' Rule

Read 4582 times
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,464 posts | 4591 
      Re: The 'Rooney' Rule
      Reply #23: Sep 15, 2011 03:22:00 pm
      I would hate to be appointed as a manger of a premier leauge team to fill in a quota.

Do most african national football teams have white managers?
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #24: Sep 15, 2011 04:12:02 pm
      I would hate to be appointed as a manger of a premier leauge team to fill in a quota.

Do most african national football teams have white managers?

They're not being appointed as quota. That is 'affirmative action'. Rather, the enforcement of a rule is that a minority candidate be interviewed. It has been very successful in the states and while I'm not privy to backroom chats by owners in the NFL, I'd like to think most owners don't have a problem with the rule.

I do agree a great way to alleviate the issue at hand would also be to enlighten all players with the possibility of getting their coaching badges. Good shout whoever brought that one up.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #25: Sep 16, 2011 01:47:28 am
      I wonder how much affect the Rooney rule truly had.  30-40 years after a proper, albeit still fairly uneven, integration into the NFL, we're starting to see African Americans reach prominent management positions in the game.  It almost mirrors the sexual  revolution of the sixties which saw women make headway in male dominated careers, forty years later, started to see women making headway in top management positions.  Prejudice takes time to wash away, an event I witnessed in my own father, I just feel that progress may not be quick enough for some.

Quick Reply