Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 20th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W5 D1 L1

Top 10 Players in world football

Read 12008 times
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Re: Top 10 Players in world
      Reply #69: Sep 12, 2011 02:02:27 am
      The way Adyran just dismisses his 53 goals above is hilarious!!! We are Liverpool fans, he is a United legend so I knew bias would come in to play but some of it is completely retarded!
      That is just hilarious!!

Ad I respect your opinion on lots of things, always like your posts but that is completely taking the piss!

That's how I feel, PG.

I just don't think scoring 50 goals alone makes you the greatest player in the world. I take alot of other things into account. How he inspires the team, how he leads and such.

Would you say a player who scores 50 penalties a season a world class player? I mean, Ronaldo didn't do that but goals are not the only thing that should be considered.

Ronaldo is a good player but he's nothing compared to Messi. He doesn't lead a team like Gerrard does (at his peak) or Zidane did. Doesn't step up when needed like Messi.

People are always saying Messi doesn't perform for Argentina the way he does for Barcelona but so does Ronaldo.

Messi has always come out tops against Ronaldo. Ronaldo hardly turns up in the big clashes, which separates him from Messi.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #70: Sep 12, 2011 02:05:35 am
      True enough about comparing a defender with an attacker but nine times out of ten, the attacking player gets the vote.

People consider the attacker who can dribble, excite fans and score lots of goals to be "better" and more skillful than someone tackling and heading balls. Its better to watch the first.

Messi and Ronaldo scored 53 goals each last season and have been devastating overall in the last three to four years offering absolutely everything to their teams in terms of attack.

I'm not being a dick about it, maybe I am a little but bar this topic, I have never met anyone who would put someone ahead of Ronaldo bar Messi.
      That's how I feel, PG.

I just don't think scoring 50 goals alone makes you the greatest player in the world. I take alot of other things into account. How he inspires the team, how he leads and such.

Would you say a player who scores 50 penalties a season a world class player? I mean, Ronaldo didn't do that but goals are not the only thing that should be considered.

Ronaldo is a good player but he's nothing compared to Messi. He doesn't lead a team like Gerrard does (at his peak) or Zidane did. Doesn't step up when needed like Messi.

People are always saying Messi doesn't perform for Argentina the way he does for Barcelona but so does Ronaldo.

Messi has always come out tops against Ronaldo. Ronaldo hardly turns up in the big clashes, which separates him from Messi.
      Not always and nine times out of ten Barca batter Real so how can Ronaldo stand out or win that battle when his team are getting battered and dont have the ball.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #71: Sep 12, 2011 05:12:56 am
      Attacking players usually get looked at more easily than defenders because they usually steal the limelight with their goals, dribblings and skills.

I know they both scored 53 goals last season but Messi did have more assists. Also, Ronaldo takes tons of penalties and scores tons of tap ins. Messi also has tap ins but it's usually after his makes his trademark runs. He starts and ends it.

I know Barca batter Real 9 times out of 10 but you still expect Ronaldo to take charge and lead. But it's not just his time in Spain. Other than scoring that two goals against Arsenal in the Champions League back in 2009/2010, he struggles to impress me against us, Arsenal and Chelsea at other times. He ends up on the scoresheet, though.

I remember when we lost 3-0 to United in 2007/2008 (where Masch got red carder for asking questions), Ronaldo didn't do anything but he comes to score with a header. When we smashed 4 past them at OT, he scored the penalty for them while failing to impress in the other 89 minutes.
      TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #72: Sep 13, 2011 01:06:52 am
      I think this is a bit difficult to be honest. I don't get how you can compare a CB to a ST really in terms of who's 'better'.

Contribution to the team I guess, but it is too difficult... that is why I just posted my dream-team :)

craglad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,009 posts | 25 
      Reply #73: Sep 13, 2011 01:28:46 am
      Messi
      Ronaldo
      Xavi
      Aguero
      Rooney
      Iniesta
      Fabregas
      Suarez
      Sneijder
      Riena
      OoLiaaaaaMoO
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,813 posts | 11 
      • In King Kenny WE Trust!
      Reply #74: Sep 13, 2011 01:56:59 am
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #75: Sep 13, 2011 02:01:05 am

Don't you know?! He misspelt his name.

It's Riera :)
      macca8

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #76: Sep 13, 2011 09:09:47 am
      For me a great player does not necessarily mean that he's a prolific scorer but the manner that he scored that makes him great. If you're trying to debate about how many these two scored amongst them, why not include van Nistelrooy and Kuyt? Both of them scored tons of goals for fun so why not put them into your top 10 also?

For me a great player is a player that could change the course of the game. A great player is not just great on pitch but also off pitch. A great player is someone you can look up to and sure so this does not include Ashley Cole, Torres, Terry and Giggs. A player that shows determination on the field, the passion to win and courage to go for it. There's not many I can see nowadays with players now are too cocky, too damn arrogant and less passionate about the team they're currently playing. A player like Ronaldo for me is the kind of player that will jump into any opportunity to better his wages but not Messi.

So as other might got some other explanations and opinion, I'll let it be. A player like Gabriel Batistuta, Steven Gerrard and Maldini will always be a hero to me and they deserve a spot in top 10.
      Bier
      Reply #77: Sep 13, 2011 02:30:46 pm
      For me a great player does not necessarily mean that he's a prolific scorer but the manner that he scored that makes him great. If you're trying to debate about how many these two scored amongst them, why not include van Nistelrooy and Kuyt? Both of them scored tons of goals for fun so why not put them into your top 10 also?
      Van Nistelrooy at his peak probably did belong in the top 10. But Kuyt? Kuyt hasn't exactly scored a ton of goals in a top league.
      riedle13
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 36 posts |
      Reply #78: Sep 13, 2011 02:54:17 pm
      1) Messi
      2) Iniesta
      3) Xavi
      4) Ronaldo
      5) Sneijder
      6) Aguero
      7) Villa
      8) Rooney
      9) Suarez
      10) Schweinsteiger
      « Last Edit: Sep 13, 2011 05:48:48 pm by riedle13 »
      PepeReina25
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,400 posts |
      Reply #79: Sep 13, 2011 03:11:29 pm
      probably better to list players per position eg

goalkeeper
      1) Reina
      2) Casillas
      3) Valdes

defence
      1) Pique
      2) Alves
      3) Lucio

midfield
      1) Xavi
      2) Iniesta
      3) Alonso

strikers

1) Messi
      2) Ronaldo
      3) Suarez
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #80: Sep 13, 2011 06:59:55 pm
      Attacking players usually get looked at more easily than defenders because they usually steal the limelight with their goals, dribblings and skills.

I know they both scored 53 goals last season but Messi did have more assists. Also, Ronaldo takes tons of penalties and scores tons of tap ins. Messi also has tap ins but it's usually after his makes his trademark runs. He starts and ends it.

I know Barca batter Real 9 times out of 10 but you still expect Ronaldo to take charge and lead. But it's not just his time in Spain. Other than scoring that two goals against Arsenal in the Champions League back in 2009/2010, he struggles to impress me against us, Arsenal and Chelsea at other times. He ends up on the scoresheet, though.

I remember when we lost 3-0 to United in 2007/2008 (where Masch got red carder for asking questions), Ronaldo didn't do anything but he comes to score with a header. When we smashed 4 past them at OT, he scored the penalty for them while failing to impress in the other 89 minutes.

He maybe a total tw*t but Ronaldo does piss into the world's top 3
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #81: Sep 13, 2011 09:50:55 pm
      Top two you mean.
      simolfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,165 posts | 22 
      • Thank you Dirk YNWA
      Reply #82: Sep 13, 2011 09:51:04 pm
      1. Messi
      2. Ronaldo
      3. Xavi
      4. Rooney
      5, Sneijder
      6. Puyol and Pique
      7. Villa
      8. Xabi Alonso
      9. Reina
      10. Mascherano

A funny (true) story about the title of best player in the world

In an interview, Christiano Ronaldo claimed he was sent by the God of football to teach the world to play proper football

When asked about his thoughts on Ronaldo's comments in a press conference, Lionel Messi replied "I don't remember sending him"
      OoLiaaaaaMoO
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,813 posts | 11 
      • In King Kenny WE Trust!
      Reply #83: Sep 14, 2011 01:19:04 am
      A funny (true) story about the title of best player in the world

In an interview, Christiano Ronaldo claimed he was sent by the God of football to teach the world to play proper football

When asked about his thoughts on Ronaldo's comments in a press conference, Lionel Messi replied "I don't remember sending him"
      :lmao: :lmao:

Don't you know?! He misspelt his name.

It's Riera :)
      :lmao:
      macca8

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Re: Top 10 Players in world football
      Reply #84: Sep 15, 2011 10:01:00 am
      Van Nistelrooy at his peak probably did belong in the top 10. But Kuyt? Kuyt hasn't exactly scored a ton of goals in a top league.
      A total 71 goals in his 101 appearances for Feyenoord, so that didn't make him a goal scoring machine? So remind me, where did we buy Suarez from? Barcelona? He's from Dutch League same as Kuyt. His best scoring record was at Ajax, 81 goals in 110 appearances.

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #85: Sep 15, 2011 11:00:08 am
      I can't really see past Ronaldo for the number two spot. Messi..... easily the best by far, but I would have thought Ronaldo was a similar distance infront of the rest. Can't really dispute the positioning of the rest as they are so close its almost impossible to seperate them, but Messi and Ronaldo for me are leading the field by a distance.   
      Bier
      Reply #86: Sep 15, 2011 03:52:13 pm
      A total 71 goals in his 101 appearances for Feyenoord, so that didn't make him a goal scoring machine? So remind me, where did we buy Suarez from? Barcelona? He's from Dutch League same as Kuyt. His best scoring record was at Ajax, 81 goals in 110 appearances.
      I don't consider the Dutch League to be a top league. So, Kuyt hasn't scored a ton of goals in a top league, that's exactly what I said. He hasn't been able to replicate that goal scoring record in the EPL, that says enough about Kuyt and the Dutch league. Suarez however I do consider to be more talented than Kuyt, but even though he can still improve as he's young, he'll still have a hard time replicating his goal scoring record from the Dutch League, because that league just isn't that strong. And I'm Dutch myself, I love watching and following the Dutch League, but it hasn't been a top league in a decade or so. And if I should consider Kuyt to be a goalscoring machine just because of his record in the Dutch league, then I should consider players like Kezman and Afonso Alves to be the same, and that's just not going to happen.
      « Last Edit: Sep 15, 2011 04:02:00 pm by Bier »
      RedSteve
      • Forum David Johnson

• 220 posts |
      Reply #87: Sep 15, 2011 04:49:14 pm
      In order, in your honest opinion, name the top ten players in the world

Very difficult to put them in order, some are very close & of course as they play in different positions its very hard to compare. After all, who is better? The best keeper or best forward? Anyway, its all about opion & here is mine.

Messi
      Ronaldo
      Xavi
      Inesta
      Rooney
      Pique
      Sneidjer
      Villa
      Schweinsteiger
      Ozil

My over attack minded team would be.

Iker

Alves...............Piqu e................Vidic.. ............Evra

......................Xa vi................Innest a
      Sniedjer................ .....Rooney............. .........Ronaldo
      ........................ ...Messi
      SpionKop88
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 783 posts | 11 
      • We see things they'll NEVER see!!!
      Reply #88: Sep 15, 2011 04:59:36 pm
      In no specific order: Messi, Xavi Alonso, Dani Alves, David Silva, Pique, Suarez, Aguero, Iniesta, Xavi, Ronaldo.

Best team at the moment:

Reina/Hart
      Alves   Pique  Kompany  Lahm
      Ronaldo Iniesta Xavi  David Silva
                Messi   Suarez

thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #89: Sep 15, 2011 05:52:25 pm
      Enrique is the world's best LB? Not yet. :P
      Marcelo or Contraeo are better players but good LB are very rare.
      Lucas is the world's best DM and Adam the cm?
      « Last Edit: Sep 15, 2011 05:57:40 pm by thereds13 »
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #90: Sep 15, 2011 06:00:33 pm
      1. Messi
      2.Ronaldo
      3.Silva
      4.Xavi
      5.Iniesta
      6.Fabregas