Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 5th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W2 D1 L0

Suarez claims it's cups rather than top?

Read 8224 times
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 5,930 posts | 971 
      Suarez claims it's cups rather than top?
      Oct 05, 2011 03:55:18 pm
      Luis Suarez has claimed Liverpool's best chance of picking up silverware this season is in the cup competitions, with the Uruguayan suggesting Premier League title contenders Manchester United, Manchester City and Chelsea are "unreachable".

Luis Suarez
      GettyImagesLuis Suarez: £22 million transfer to Liverpool

The forward has been a shining light for Liverpool this season, with his four goals propelling the Reds up to fifth in the table. They are just six points adrift of the Manchester duo, and three behind Chelsea, but Suarez feels they are not on the same level as the pacesetters.

"We have no limit and want to stay in the top four. But winning the Premier League is now very difficult," Suarez told Gazzetta dello Sport. "The two Manchesters and Chelsea are unreachable. But we can win the cups."

The No.7 jersey is held in great esteem at Anfield, having been worn by Kevin Keegan and current Reds boss Kenny Dalglish, but Suarez has claimed he was not aware of its significance when he joined the club from Ajax.

"I didn't know the history of my No.7 shirt at Liverpool," Suarez said. "I picked it because it was one of the few numbers available. Now that I know the story I am proud to wear the 'seven' and I try not to feel the burden of its heritage."

Suarez has adapted well to life in England and has been helped along the way by Dalglish.

"Dalglish tries to talk to me in Spanish and tries to help me," he said. "I appreciate that."

I agree with him that we are clearly not the favorites to win the league this term, but to label Manure, City, and Chelsea as "unreachable" is over the top!  Unfortunately, I think this is another subtle glimpse into the mind of Luis Suarez.  He doesn't see Liverpool as the best club in the world, and in my opinion, unless we can start winning titles and trophies in the next 12-24 months, we will see Luis pull a Torres when a club who can offer more immediate success (ex: Barca) comes calling. 
      « Last Edit: Oct 05, 2011 10:48:10 pm by redkenny »
      Bubonic
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 634 posts | 25 
      Re: WTF Luis?!
      Reply #1: Oct 05, 2011 04:03:18 pm
      Who knows what he actually said, he either said it in English, which isn't his first language or in Spanish and it got translated.

I wouldn't worry, yet. If we are in the Champions League next year he will be happy enough.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #2: Oct 05, 2011 04:07:13 pm
      Post your source, please.
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,504 posts | 234 
      Reply #3: Oct 05, 2011 04:10:53 pm
      For a second I thought he had submitted a transfer request before I clicked.

Phew!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,666 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4: Oct 05, 2011 04:11:18 pm
      http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,11669_7225116,00.html

Liverpool ace Luis Suarez has conceded the club are unlikely to challenge for the Premier League title this season, with a top-four finish the main goal.

The Reds currently sit in fifth spot in the Premier League table, six points behind leaders Manchester United after just seven games.

Suarez, who has been Liverpool's star performer so far this term, admits winning the title is now difficult because of the gap between the Reds and rivals like United, Manchester City and Chelsea.
      "We have no limit and want to stay in the top four. But winning the Premier League is now very difficult," Suarez told Gazzetta dello Sport.

"The two Manchesters and Chelsea are unreachable. But we can win the cups"
      Luis Suarez
      Quotes of the week
      "The main reason why it is so difficult is because the two Manchesters and Chelsea are unreachable. But we can win the cups."

Heritage

Suarez, who inherited the famous No.7 shirt at Anfield, admits he was not aware of the signifcance of the shirt, but is happy to follow in the footsteps of the likes of Kevin Keegan and Kenny Dalglish.
      "I didn't know the history of my No.7 shirt at Liverpool," added Suarez. "I picked it because it was one of the few numbers available.

"Now that I know the story I am proud to wear the '7' and I try not to feel the burden of its heritage."
      RedScouseLaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 753 posts | 40 
      • du du du du du du, du du du du du du
      Reply #5: Oct 05, 2011 04:14:07 pm
      He may have been mis-quoted. I wouldnt worry about him leaving just yet. He can see we are building a great squad and one in which he will be challenging over the next few seasons for titles. He will definitely stay for our return to the Champions League next season!
      stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      • 'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Live
      Reply #6: Oct 05, 2011 04:16:20 pm
      Very surprised if he has said this!! think there are a few misquotes in this story.
      Al1892
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts |
      • We achieved your dreams 5 !!!!!
      Reply #7: Oct 05, 2011 04:19:45 pm
      Hes prob just playing down our chances it would be ridiculous if he said we are going to win the league. And tbh he is right the league isnt really our realistic target this season we are building a team to challenge and we arent there yet.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,193 posts | 165 
      Reply #8: Oct 05, 2011 04:24:13 pm
      We need to win the league next season or play very well in the Champions League to make sure we keep him.  Or win 1or 2 cups this season.
      Our future depends on what we do until January. The quality of players signed in January will definitely depend on our position in the League and to upgrade our squad (which is already good)we need world class players like Suarez. We have a good team but we need some players like Muller, Nani, Young, Ribery, Nasri or Silva. If we're not in the top 4 by January we'll struggle to challenge for players and trophies.
      I trust Kenny :scarf:

Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #9: Oct 05, 2011 04:29:03 pm
      Quite strange when you consider his never say die mentality to come out and say this, especially when we are only 6 points off the top of the league and barely a quarter of the way through the season. Wouldn't be surprised if its been lost in translation abit, the phrases "we have no limit" and "unreachable" raise a few eyebrows.
      « Last Edit: Oct 05, 2011 04:35:54 pm by Dannylfc »
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,349 posts | 4968 
      Reply #10: Oct 05, 2011 04:31:39 pm
      It has probably lost a bit in translation as he doesn't seem like a player who would be saying teams are unreachable at this early stage in the season.
      harrydunn08
      • Started Topic

• 5,930 posts | 971 
      Reply #11: Oct 05, 2011 04:55:43 pm

Apologies on the source, I'm trying to figure out this new and improved version of the site!  I saw the story on Soccernet:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/966101/title-out-of-liverpool%27s-reach---suarez?cc=5901

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a slight misinterpretation, but it wouldn't be shocking to me if he really did say it....  I made a comment a few games ago (not sure which one now though) about how frustrated Luis looked at some of the lack of quality surrounding him on the pitch.  It looked as though Luis was thinking one or two steps ahead of everyone else around him (LFC players included).  His movement and vision were always getting him into dangerous positions, but it seemed like none of our players were able to link up with him or pick him out with the right pass.  I hope for our sake that Luis doesn't become frustrated if we struggle this term and end up handing in a transfer request when one of (insert: Barca/Madrid/Inter/Milan/City/Chelsea/Munich) come knocking on our door next summer to test our resolve.....
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #12: Oct 05, 2011 04:58:19 pm
      Would love to see the original interview, which I'm assuming is in Spanish.
      gazza31
      • Banned

• 2,751 posts | 35 
      Reply #13: Oct 05, 2011 05:02:17 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a slight misinterpretation, but it wouldn't be shocking to me if he really did say it....  I made a comment a few games ago (not sure which one now though) about how frustrated Luis looked at some of the lack of quality surrounding him on the pitch.  It looked as though Luis was thinking one or two steps ahead of everyone else around him (LFC players included).  His movement and vision were always getting him into dangerous positions, but it seemed like none of our players were able to link up with him or pick him out with the right pass.  I hope for our sake that Luis doesn't become frustrated if we struggle this term and end up handing in a transfer request when one of (insert: Barca/Madrid/Inter/Milan/City/Chelsea/Munich) come knocking on our door next summer to test our resolve.....
      [/quote]

He must of been F***ing fuming at Ajax :roll:
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #14: Oct 05, 2011 05:18:51 pm
      To write your team off 6 points adrift from the top - you must either be an idiot, or mis-quoted.

I hope he's been mis-quoted as these are disappointing comments.
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #15: Oct 05, 2011 05:30:51 pm
      He probaby meant 'seem unstoppable'
      LFCBosnia
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 353 posts | 12 
      Reply #16: Oct 05, 2011 05:30:59 pm
      Even if he said it I like it.
      More work, less talk!
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #17: Oct 05, 2011 05:39:59 pm
      gah, sky, probably mis-quoted and exaggerated along with anything else those scumbags get their hands on.

tbh, if barca come calling, most players would leave. not everyone is a gerrard or a carra with ties to one club only. pepe is an exception :)
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #18: Oct 05, 2011 05:40:35 pm
      ps: i like the website upgrade with alex the kidd on master system graphics ;)
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #19: Oct 05, 2011 05:50:50 pm
      Suarez in a "its very unlikely we'll go from 6th to 1st in a year" shock revelation... Storm in a teacup
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #20: Oct 05, 2011 05:53:41 pm
       I can't see what all the fuss is about. We are extremely unlikely to win the league this season, it's hardly an earth shattering revelation is it?
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,740 posts | 7171 
      Reply #21: Oct 05, 2011 06:08:48 pm
      Think he is a bit of a lose cannon.Don't care who says what as long as we keep winning.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #22: Oct 05, 2011 06:45:11 pm
      Suarez in a "its very unlikely we'll go from 6th to 1st in a year" shock revelation... Storm in a teacup

Exactly ... Even if he wasn't misquoted, he is only giving a fair assessment of the quality of the squads ... It is no secret that the Mancs, Chelsea and City have deeper and stronger squads, and that they also have less new players on their teams ...
      harrydunn08
      • Started Topic

• 5,930 posts | 971 
      Reply #23: Oct 05, 2011 06:46:34 pm
      I can't see what all the fuss is about. We are extremely unlikely to win the league this season, it's hardly an earth shattering revelation is it?

I've not tried to hide the fact that Luis was not too far wide of the mark in his statement.  Rather, the thing that I find worrying is that this is the latest issue in a string of comments & actions that to me seem to illustrate that he does not see LFC as a final destination for him..... more of a stepping stone :( 

Let's not forget, Suarez himself stated that he came to LFC because we were the only club who bid for him in January.  Given his incredible impact in England, it is a certainty that there will be other teams trying to lure him away this next summer, and unless the club can prove its ambitions to him, then I think he may well ask to leave.  His hunger and desire on the pitch is obvious, but his passion sometimes leads him to making impulsive (sometimes silly) decisions (like biting a player) while in the heat of battle.... and if the handball in the world cup taught us anything, its that Luis will literally do ANYTHING to win!!  I don't think for a second that he will even hesitate to hand in a transfer request if we do not do everything necessary to win trophies within the next 12-24 months, and the best way for us to do this is to sign players this January and next summer who can make us immediate title contenders.

I'm not saying he is right, nor am I saying he is wrong.  It just frustrates me to see him supposedly saying things like this about the club so early in the season as I think it provides an ugly representation of the club and our ambitions from one of our best (if not the best) players....
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #24: Oct 05, 2011 06:50:41 pm
      I'd love to see the original interview. Highly doubt he meant it like that.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #25: Oct 05, 2011 07:28:36 pm
      Maybe he has just said those words to take the pressure of himself and the rest of the lads,how the media interpret what they have printed to what he actually said is open to speculation.As long as he keeps playing with the same energy and enthusiasm that will do for me.
      emsy28
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 545 posts | 12 
      Reply #26: Oct 05, 2011 07:33:09 pm
      Come on people, he's only said what he feels is the truth and i agree with him. Look at our defence and try and honestly say our center backs are good enough in a season to win the league ? I think it shows already that we are at least a center back and right winger short.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,162 posts | 3388 
      Reply #27: Oct 05, 2011 07:35:05 pm
      Well he's wrong cos we will win the League.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #28: Oct 05, 2011 08:08:37 pm
      I don't like these comments even if they were true which they aren't, a Liverpool player should always believe we can do anything .

Dream big or don't dream at all !
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,369 posts | 2880 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #29: Oct 05, 2011 08:19:35 pm
      Wont get me kecks in a twist on this one. Simply because I know hell be the one doing there utmost to prove him wrong!!

Defo said it. Maybe he phrased things slightly wrong and it might also be a ploy to ease expectations somewhat? Anyway Im sure youll all have forgotten he said it come 2.45 Saturday week!!!
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #30: Oct 05, 2011 09:01:30 pm

Jamie Carragher Disagrees with Luis Suarez, Believes It's Too Early for Liverpool to Concede the Title
      by Marcus Kwesi O'Mard on Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 3:52PM   

Jamie Carragher believes it's far too early to write off Liverpool's title chances. It runs contrary to the comments of Luis Suarez, who said that the Reds should focus on winning domestic cups as the league leaders are 'unreachable.' 

In an interview with talkSport, the veteran Liverpool defender said, "The last couple of years we have finished sixth and seventh so for us to get in the top four, we will be pleased with that this season. But at Christmas, if we are two or three points behind Manchester United or Manchester City, we are going to say we want to win the league.

"I always change my opinion of what I want us to do depending on where we are in the league. At this moment people will probably say we are in a race with Spurs and Arsenal (for fourth) because we are a little bit off Man City and Man United.

"We play Man United, if we can gain three points there, and we've got City as well, and Chelsea, so if we can get good results then your opinion changes."

Liverpool is in fifth place in the English Premier League after seven games. Manchester United and Manchester City are the league’s pacesetters, leading Liverpool by six points. Chelsea is three points ahead of the Reds.

Liverpool has 31 EPL games left to play. They play both Manchester clubs twice, Chelsea twice and one game against Arsenal and Tottenham.

The Reds are also alive in both domestic cup competitions. They are in the last 16 of the Carling Cup and have yet begin FA Cup play.

http://www.nesn.com/2011/10/jamie-carragher-disagrees-with-luis-suarez-believes-its-too-early-for-liverpool-to-concede-the-title.html

Spot on Jamie
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #31: Oct 05, 2011 09:01:44 pm
      He's probably been misquoted, can someone change the title ffs?
      LFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,715 posts | 36 
      • In JK I trust! YNWA
      Reply #32: Oct 05, 2011 09:03:18 pm
      He's probably been misquoted, can someone change the title ffs?

Yeah someone should have done that already.

What a stupid title
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #33: Oct 05, 2011 10:01:19 pm
      Hmm, i don't think we should assume this is what he actually said, the amount of times players get misquoted, especially if its being translated is always happening!
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Re: Suarez claims it's cups rather than top?
      Reply #34: Oct 05, 2011 10:54:12 pm

I agree about the fuss and agree about it being unlikely we'll win the league (although not extremely). But at this stage of the season, I'd raise an eyebrow or two at anyone suggesting we're too far away.

Maybe he meant in terms off squad ability/depth. Maybe he's playing mind games.

Maybe being that close to all them bitters last weekend has had a negative effect on his way of thinking.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,349 posts | 4968 
      Reply #35: Oct 05, 2011 11:04:07 pm
      But at this stage of the season, I'd raise an eyebrow or two at anyone suggesting we're too far away.

So true this Kenny.

I like players to be positive at all times and at least this early in the season.

Still think it has lost a bit in translation to be honest.
      DC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 261 posts |
      Reply #36: Oct 05, 2011 11:08:07 pm
      Can we change the title to: "not favorites to win the EPL love ESPN"
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #37: Oct 05, 2011 11:14:50 pm
      Tevez has been talking to Suarez.

Told him to speak a load of babble ..... and then after Suarez can say its all bollocks.

;D
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,008 posts | 209 
      • do do do
      Reply #38: Oct 06, 2011 02:29:38 am
      Obviously Luis doesn't understand or doesn't want to understand the Liverpool way. It might be "realistic" and "true" to say we can't win the league but you don't say this.
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #39: Oct 06, 2011 03:19:59 am
      Read the original and stop acting like women  ;)
      Its a special by the Gazzetta dello sport
      http://www.filesonic.com/file/2306613894/gazzetta_extratime_20111004.pdf

So...the interview went from spanish, to italian to english....dont see what could go wrong there!
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #40: Oct 06, 2011 03:59:01 am
      Disappointed in Luis a bit, would prefer he do his talking on the pitch and see where that takes us.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #41: Oct 06, 2011 04:17:14 am
      Gerrard and co. whenever asked about targets say "top four" - though this COULD mean the title, by saying top four you are saying 'title unlikely'

Different words, same meaning. Though I'd rather Suarez not say it quite as bluntly (pending proof he wasn't misquoted) I ain't gonna get my undies in a twist over it.
      macca8

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #42: Oct 06, 2011 09:32:08 am
      If he really meant that, there's nothing wrong to it as right now they're setting the pace, but it's still early in the season. Luis and co. knows that. last season Chelsea set the pace but crumbled under pressure.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #43: Oct 06, 2011 11:51:08 am
      I'm on the phone so can't post the article but he said Liverpool will always fight for the title but top 4 is minimum.

He claimed the other three clubs were unbreakable in terms if spending.

Can't believe the reaction on here. Watching him play is enough indication Luis Suarez will never not believe we can go in to any competition and not win.
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #44: Oct 06, 2011 12:05:41 pm
      I think the unreachable part suggests of lost intranslation.he might have said something like "hard to catch up" or something on the same lines.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,193 posts | 165 
      Reply #45: Oct 06, 2011 12:18:45 pm
      I'm on the phone so can't post the article but he said Liverpool will always fight for the title but top 4 is minimum.

He claimed the other three clubs were unbreakable in terms if spending.

Can't believe the reaction on here. Watching him play is enough indication Luis Suarez will never not believe we can go in to any competition and not win.

It's clear that the translation is not good. However in 2-4 seasons, I see Barcelona bid for him and he may leave. Unless we win the league or the have good runs in cups soon.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,493 posts | 8676 
      Reply #46: Oct 06, 2011 12:25:46 pm
      Playing down expectations anyone?
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #47: Oct 06, 2011 12:30:55 pm
      What's this talk of Barca and where is it coming from? From the quotes given about him wanting to play for a massive club when he was at Ajax? Guess what, his wish came true and he's here. No more Barca talk.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #48: Oct 06, 2011 12:45:02 pm
      What's this talk of Barca and where is it coming from? From the quotes given about him wanting to play for a massive club when he was at Ajax? Guess what, his wish came true and he's here. No more Barca talk.
      He has specifically admitted that he would love to play for Barca ...

Suarez: 'I dream of playing for Barcelona'

Published 14:15 03/07/11

Luis Suarez has admitted he has always dreamt of playing for Barcelona, but insists he is committed to Liverpool for now.

He also has a direct link to the Spanish champions as his agent is Pere Guardiola - the brother of Barca boss Pep.

Suarez said: “Before knowing Pere, I had that dream of playing for Barcelona.

“Obviously he is connected to Barcelona through his brother but these are work issues, totally different to personal ones.

“If Pep Guardiola wants me, he will want me totally independently of who represents me.

“But for now, Liverpool is the only club I want to play for.”

The Uruguayan star also revealed Reds boss Kenny Dalglish has played a big part in helping him to settle on Merseyside and play in front of the Kop.

Suarez said: “There are so many people watching you. You feel the pressure of what the club has paid for you.

“But I tried to live as calmly as I could, not to think about the people watching me.

“The boss told me to be the same player I always was, not to try to change.

“His advice was a great help and he was not wrong – he was exactly right.”
      http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Liverpool-striker-Luis-Suarez-I-dream-of-playing-for-Barcelona-article755833.html

He will very likely go there in the future ... Hopefully, not so soon ...
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #49: Oct 06, 2011 12:53:16 pm
      "I had that dream.'

Next!!
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,512 posts | 2873 
      Reply #50: Oct 06, 2011 01:01:38 pm
      Obviously Luis doesn't understand or doesn't want to understand the Liverpool way.

Really?
      macca8

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #51: Oct 06, 2011 02:28:55 pm
      Unreachable..depends on how you define it. If you're insisting that he said we're lacking compared to them, it's your say. I do think what he really meant was in terms of cash spending.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,666 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #52: Oct 06, 2011 02:44:12 pm
      Beat the Mancs next weekend and ask him again...

Suarez: I was wrong. Let's do this.

I'm sure he'll give his all out on the pitch regardless of what he thinks of the other teams around us.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,493 posts | 8676 
      Reply #53: Oct 06, 2011 03:55:21 pm
      He has specifically admitted that he would love to play for Barca ...
      http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Liverpool-striker-Luis-Suarez-I-dream-of-playing-for-Barcelona-article755833.html

He will very likely go there in the future ... Hopefully, not so soon ...

Doesn't this all depend on Barca actually wanting him!!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,493 posts | 8676 
      Reply #54: Oct 06, 2011 03:56:50 pm
      Obviously Luis doesn't understand or doesn't want to understand the Liverpool way.

He's only been here five minutes, give him a chance.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #55: Oct 06, 2011 04:02:26 pm
      Tell ya what, he knows a sh*t load more than some fans about what it means to be part of this club.

Not pointing anyone out, just sayin'.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,162 posts | 3388 
      Reply #56: Oct 06, 2011 04:07:24 pm

And him wanting to leave us when we're conquering domestically and on the European front again.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,043 posts | 3967 
      Reply #57: Oct 06, 2011 04:26:23 pm
      You can't say for sure that he will leave if an offer comes in aka Torres. There's no saying he has the amazingly shallow qualities of character that Torres seemingly possesses, who can say what heights LFC can reach which could also affect any decision and he has given no positive inication that he is going anywhere.
      Baustinsali08
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,514 posts | 29 
      Reply #58: Oct 06, 2011 04:30:16 pm
      He signed a five year contract when we bought him, I don't care about all this talk with Barca.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #59: Oct 06, 2011 04:51:26 pm
      Why are we talking about Suarez going to Barca ffs ?, he aint even been here a season yet and in repsone to the original post, well lost in translation me thinks, move on nothing to see here except the usual person making a tit of himself.

He may think City Chelsea etc are untouchable in terms of money, but we'll see how untouchable Luis thinks they are when get them on the pitch.
      the general
      • Forum John Toshack

• 281 posts |
      Reply #60: Oct 06, 2011 04:57:47 pm
      I think some people have the 'once bitten, twice shy' mentality. After being stabbed in the back by Torres, people are naturally more cautious towards Suarez, in case he does the same to us, I'm not saying he will by any means, but people will understandably be more detached for a while.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #61: Oct 06, 2011 05:37:11 pm

Of course they would want him ... They are not stupid ...

Anyway, I am looking forward to seeing him for at least another 2-3 seasons in the red shirt, before he makes his dream move ...
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #62: Oct 06, 2011 05:52:54 pm

Anyway, I am looking forward to seeing him for at least another 2-3 seasons in the red shirt, before he makes his dream move ...

Proper grammar, please.

His dream move right now is getting in to the box and scoring for Liverpool so until that changes, i have no concerns.
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #63: Oct 06, 2011 06:53:47 pm
      I can understand what Luis means he looks at it from the season so far but there are a few things to sort out yet and one should be Stevie to replace Adam and Henderson do his learning from the bench while bringing Kuyt back, a more balanced team and a stronger one. Then we have Carroll and if he gets his game going then who knows even if he stands still there is always Bellamy to fill in, he's no bad option if Carroll can't cut it, even Luis may be surprised.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #64: Oct 06, 2011 07:18:24 pm
      Seems to me when Luis said Untouchable, he was meaning they have a few years more of squad building, and we are behind them in that aspect. I agree with him that a cup is our best chance of a trophy (Pretty obvious really), but I have to believe he thinks winning the league is possible. Whenever we beat the Mancs, he'll definitely believe it.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #65: Oct 06, 2011 07:21:29 pm

Re-quoting, just for emphasis.

I think the fact he is only just getting a handle on our language should really be taken into account. I highly doubt Suarez has given up hope on the title - and regardless, I know he only has one style of play when on the pitch - 100%. That's all I need to know, and I have full trust in him to do that. Something I didn't have in Nando for a long time.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #66: Oct 06, 2011 07:22:09 pm
      Quico, can you post the original Spanish text? That won't open up for me :( If not, no biggie, I'm just curious.
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #67: Oct 06, 2011 08:06:10 pm
      Quico, can you post the original Spanish text? That won't open up for me :( If not, no biggie, I'm just curious.
      Its a pdf file in italian, the original interview. Scroll dow and choose "slow download"
      In a nutshell, as you might guess, its a TRANSLATION from the original interview in SPANISH TO ITALIAN, and it was then TRANSLATED AGAIN to ENGLISH.

So...unless they had me translating, im pretty sure they fu**ed up.
      Unreachable was translated from INTRATABLE. thats a figure of speech in Uruguay.
      When someone plays very, very, very well, we say he is INTRATABLE (impossble to deal with)...but its also impossible to translate its whole meaning. But then again, impossible for us just means you have to try a little harder. ;)

Again, lost in translation

As for Barcelona. I have watched many interviews with the lad, and in spanish, all he ever said was the obvious: they are the best team in the world at the moment.  NEVER heard( HEARD!!) him say anything about him wanting to play there AFTER his move to Liverpool

billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,986 posts | 5044 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #68: Oct 06, 2011 08:30:55 pm
      I think its a load of 'Bolas' meself, why the F**k should he come out and say anything after all we're playing the Mankers next, could it be that the gamesmanship is at the forefront of luis's mind, we're on;y six games in and we're hanging on to the Mancunian coat tails along with the plastics, they allahve CL football to contend with especially in the new year,

i believe we wil not only take points off all these so called big guns, i honestly dont think we will lose to any of them,home and away, i can see us just getting better and better while the pressure builds and builds on them, we have nothing to lose, so we can be a tad more gung ho, we're not expected to win the league,and to some no where near it, but i can remember a certain match in May '05' when no kunt gave us a chance after 45 mins, we have another 32 matches ahead of us, there will be ups as well as downs in the coming months,and i include everyone in there,

Luis may have spoke out of turn or whatever, but we all know whatever he said would be stretched and twisted to sell arsewipe paper, and of course that other pro-Manc media outlet,sky,willmake a mountain out of a gnats nipple.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #69: Oct 06, 2011 08:31:03 pm
      Let's just see if his thoughts on the matter are still the same come end of Jan eh..I
      In the meantime he needs to weave some of that magic and grab us the winner against Man U next week.... :celebrate:
      let his feet do the talking !!
      johnlfcreds2010
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 996 posts | 69 
      Reply #70: Oct 06, 2011 09:24:44 pm
      a cup would be very nice thank you very much and top four as well - i would take that this season.
      This time last year ...... no i don't want to even think about it any more.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,509 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #71: Oct 06, 2011 09:32:10 pm

WUM.
      Topspin
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 63 posts |
      Reply #72: Oct 06, 2011 09:41:52 pm
      I think Suarez will prove himself wrong, when he scores more goals for fun. Lets see where we're at, come December, cause it will give us a good indication as to our chances of a title challenge.

I agree that a top4 spot is more realistic, and should be 1st priority.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #73: Oct 06, 2011 10:39:47 pm

We know that you are a WUM ... No need to remind us continuously ...
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #74: Oct 06, 2011 10:57:12 pm
      Leave the sniping out please lads.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,162 posts | 3388 
      Reply #75: Oct 06, 2011 11:13:00 pm
      I think Suarez will prove himself wrong, when he scores more goals for fun. Lets see where we're at, come December, cause it will give us a good indication as to our chances of a title challenge.

I agree that a top4 spot is more realistic, and should be 1st priority.

No, our first priority will be to finish as high as possible and right now, we can still possibly finish 1st which is what we should and what some of of us will be aiming for.
      smurftheburn
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 589 posts | 28 
      Reply #76: Oct 07, 2011 12:06:54 am

Proper grammar, please.

His dream move right now is getting in to the box and scoring for Liverpool so until that changes, I have no concerns.

Perfect grammar. The ellipses add a sense of uncertainty which a full stop would not. Absolutely no need to berate someone with EASL, especially when they are correct.

Wheras:

"...Moussa Sissoko if he wants to join your club. They're my picks if your playing an all round CM." (you're)
      "...will be strong as an oxe when he fills his body out..." (ox/oxen)
      "If your going to ride with a pace maker then sit him in front of the rest of the pack..." (you're)

On topic; although this seems like a fairly understandable opinion, I can't imagine he would risk undermining Kenny's aspirations with such spurious claims, surely a mistranslation.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #77: Oct 07, 2011 12:19:52 am
      I would happily take 4th now and a trophy.

It would be progress and it would indicate to players like Suarez that we are going in the right direction. Like Torres, if we are getting close to winning trophies but not actually winning them I see Suarez moving on (hopefully he is not the type to move to a rival) but to keep players like Suarez away from Barca and Madrid we need to be giving them reasons to stay every year.

We cant offer him massive wages like City could, we cant offer him sun like Madrid and nobody can offer as much as Barca these days so we need to offer cups, Champions League football and then hopefully within three or four years under the guidance of Kenny, that long awaited Premier League title.
      smurftheburn
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 589 posts | 28 
      Reply #78: Oct 07, 2011 12:22:06 am
      Gonna jump in and say I agree entirely, you know, before you get torn apart for not "believing" and being a "bad supporter".
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #79: Oct 07, 2011 05:37:13 am

Perfect grammar. The ellipses add a sense of uncertainty which a full stop would not. Absolutely no need to berate someone with EASL, especially when they are correct.

Wheras:

"...Moussa Sissoko if he wants to join your club. They're my picks if your playing an all round CM." (you're)
      "...will be strong as an oxe when he fills his body out..." (ox/oxen)
      "If your going to ride with a pace maker then sit him in front of the rest of the pack..." (you're)

On topic; although this seems like a fairly understandable opinion, I can't imagine he would risk undermining Kenny's aspirations with such spurious claims, surely a mistranslation.

Mac-red has perfect English so EASL isn't a justifiable argument.

No one with EASL has mastered the art of using a condescending tone.

One full stop. It's in the rules.
      Topspin
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 63 posts |
      Reply #80: Oct 07, 2011 06:16:16 am
      No, our first priority will be to finish as high as possible and right now, we can still possibly finish 1st which is what we should and what some of of us will be aiming for.

Fair enough, but I don't think that we ruthless enough yet,  to win the title. Anything better than a top4 spot, will be a bonus, and besides, no other  team in the EPL has ever won the title, while finishing 6th the season before.

I'm very much optimistic that our current squad will get us back into the C/L spot, but I'm also trying to be realistic, and not trying to sound negative.  :)
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,193 posts | 165 
      Reply #81: Oct 07, 2011 06:38:16 am
      I don't want us to guarantee a top 4 place, we must challenge as hard as we can to win the League, Carragher has defined what I mean. In January if we're 3rd with 6-9points from the leaders, we sign 1-3 players and we try to win the league. Suarez is a fighter no doubt about it. We  need to be playing well to attract world class players and hence challenge for trophies,
      Bier
      Reply #82: Oct 07, 2011 07:30:22 am
      Didn't he say not too long ago that we can win the league? Stop reading so much into what is said in the media. he talks with his feet on the field, and that's what matters. There's really no need to worry about what might happen.
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #83: Oct 07, 2011 08:58:38 am
      I don't really see what the problem is.  After taking into account the translation element of what is reported, is he not only repeating what has really become the party line this season with respect to realistic ambitions for the club.  How many times in the past few years has this "been our year", and it hasn't?
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,008 posts | 209 
      • do do do
      Reply #84: Oct 07, 2011 10:43:24 am

Nah I agree, if he gets better and better and we aren't top 2 he will want this move we have seen him talk of
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,162 posts | 3388 
      Reply #85: Oct 07, 2011 01:17:28 pm
      Fair enough, but I don't think that we ruthless enough yet,  to win the title. Anything better than a top4 spot, will be a bonus, and besides, no other  team in the EPL has ever won the title, while finishing 6th the season before.

I'm very much optimistic that our current squad will get us back into the C/L spot, but I'm also trying to be realistic, and not trying to sound negative.  :)

No other team had come from three nil down to win a Champions League final, we did. No other English club has won both domestic cups and a European trophy in the same year, ours has.  No other player/manager had won the double in their first, ours did. No other manager won two League titles with two different clubs in the 90s, ours did. It's safe to say this club and this manager does things that no others can.

I'm not saying for certain we will win the League, I'm saying we can and I believe we will - not that we certainly will because unlike some on here I can't tell the future.

I too believe this squad is good enough to get us in the Champions League, I also believe it's good enough to win the League. We've shown we can beat anybody, we beat United, City and Chelsea all last season and Arsenal this year under the guidance of Kenny Dalglish. They're the teams apparently "unreachable". Well since we've beat them and beat them all quite comfortably, I'd say they are not unreachable in the slightest. Out of the top six only Spurs have caused us and Kenny any real headaches, one when we were down to nine men and one at the back end of last year.

I do believe you're being more realistic by saying it's unlikely we'll win the League, more realistic than those who say we won't win the League because that's making out they can tell the future and know for fact what will or won't happen - they don't. Nor do I which I why I say I think we'll win the League rather than saying we most certainly will. It is going to be a tall ask but this club and this manager is used to making tall asks look very easy.
      « Last Edit: Oct 07, 2011 01:33:58 pm by dunlop liddell shankly »
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #86: Oct 07, 2011 01:29:45 pm

No need for putting unrealistic expectations on FSG, Comolli, Kenny and the team ... They have been doing a great job over the past 9 months, and if we continue with the same pace of development, we could be realistic title contenders as soon as the 2012/13 season ... We still need to address at least a couple of positions on the team with top class players, and we need for the 9 new players that have arrived over the past 9 months to be fully integrated into the team ... A top 4 finish and a cup win would be an immense result this season ...
      Topspin
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 63 posts |
      Reply #87: Oct 07, 2011 03:59:26 pm
      No other team had come from three nil down to win a Champions League final, we did. No other English club has won both domestic cups and a European trophy in the same year, ours has.  No other player/manager had won the double in their first, ours did. No other manager won two League titles with two different clubs in the 90s, ours did. It's safe to say this club and this manager does things that no others can.

I'm not saying for certain we will win the League, I'm saying we can and I believe we will - not that we certainly will because unlike some on here I can't tell the future.

I too believe this squad is good enough to get us in the Champions League, I also believe it's good enough to win the League. We've shown we can beat anybody, we beat United, City and Chelsea all last season and Arsenal this year under the guidance of Kenny Dalglish. They're the teams apparently "unreachable". Well since we've beat them and beat them all quite comfortably, I'd say they are not unreachable in the slightest. Out of the top six only Spurs have caused us and Kenny any real headaches, one when we were down to nine men and one at the back end of last year.

I do believe you're being more realistic by saying it's unlikely we'll win the League, more realistic than those who say we won't win the League because that's making out they can tell the future and know for fact what will or won't happen - they don't. Nor do I which I why I say I think we'll win the League rather than saying we most certainly will. It is going to be a tall ask but this club and this manager is used to making tall asks look very easy.

Some very good points you're making. You're spot on when you say that I think it's unlikely that we'll win the league, cause we definitely need more reinforcements in certain areas.

One major factor is that, if you want to become the Champions, then you have to play as a unit, and we're not playing as a unit, and as long as we're not at that level yet, I honestly can't see us winning it.

I'd agree with challenging yes, but I think we'll fall short in the end. We usually take points off the top guns, but we struggle with the lesser teams, another point that needs to addressed.

I'll 1st eat my shoes, then my hat, and then my family if we pull it off, mate, ;D
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,986 posts | 5044 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #88: Oct 07, 2011 08:39:50 pm

THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,162 posts | 3388 
      Reply #89: Oct 07, 2011 09:19:29 pm
      Some very good points you're making. You're spot on when you say that I think it's unlikely that we'll win the league, cause we definitely need more reinforcements in certain areas.

One major factor is that, if you want to become the Champions, then you have to play as a unit, and we're not playing as a unit, and as long as we're not at that level yet, I honestly can't see us winning it.

I'd agree with challenging yes, but I think we'll fall short in the end. We usually take points off the top guns, but we struggle with the lesser teams, another point that needs to addressed.

I'll 1st eat my shoes, then my hat, and then my family if we pull it off, mate, ;D.

Don't agree with the unit comment mate, think we're as much a unit as we have been for a few years. Doesn't seem to be any divide at all to me. In recent years I've always felt some sort of divide but that doesn't appear to be the case now. Think this is the happiest more collective unit we've had for a while. Can see that with all the baby celebrations for every new dad we've got in the team.

What we need now is to install a winning mentality. And that comes by winning trophies, the first is always the hardest. That's why I'm happy we're taking the League Cup so seriously. After five years without a trophy, this squad doesn't have the know how to win trophies with this club unfortunately. Three players have won a trophy with us, that's really not enough. So winning the League Cup will be the start and will put us on our way to winning the League in May. Chelsea's success came with the League Cup against in 05, United's success started in 90 with the FA Cup, City have now won a trophy in the FA Cup and all of a sudden look a different prospect to what they did as little as twelve months ago. We need a winning mentality and I think Kenny is bringing that back but he can't do it on his own, the players need to win trophies to get that feeling back.
      Topspin
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 63 posts |
      Reply #90: Oct 07, 2011 09:42:45 pm
      Ok, I think I've used the wrong wording to describe what I meant. What I meant was that, it can't be expected that we'll be firing on all cylinders, seen that we have new players trying to find their feet, so we basically need time for the players to gel.

Until that happens, it'll always be difficuilt to get the best from our team.

I totally agree with the rest of your post, mate.

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,899 posts | 6827 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #91: Oct 07, 2011 10:28:33 pm
      Well he's wrong cos we will win the League.

Exactly mate, Luis has now learnt the subtle art of Reverse Phsycology.

Quick Reply