Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Suarez claims it's cups rather than top?

Read 8157 times
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 5,927 posts | 968 
      Re: WTF Luis?!
      Reply #23: Oct 05, 2011 06:46:34 pm
      I can't see what all the fuss is about. We are extremely unlikely to win the league this season, it's hardly an earth shattering revelation is it?

I've not tried to hide the fact that Luis was not too far wide of the mark in his statement.  Rather, the thing that I find worrying is that this is the latest issue in a string of comments & actions that to me seem to illustrate that he does not see LFC as a final destination for him..... more of a stepping stone :( 

Let's not forget, Suarez himself stated that he came to LFC because we were the only club who bid for him in January.  Given his incredible impact in England, it is a certainty that there will be other teams trying to lure him away this next summer, and unless the club can prove its ambitions to him, then I think he may well ask to leave.  His hunger and desire on the pitch is obvious, but his passion sometimes leads him to making impulsive (sometimes silly) decisions (like biting a player) while in the heat of battle.... and if the handball in the world cup taught us anything, its that Luis will literally do ANYTHING to win!!  I don't think for a second that he will even hesitate to hand in a transfer request if we do not do everything necessary to win trophies within the next 12-24 months, and the best way for us to do this is to sign players this January and next summer who can make us immediate title contenders.

I'm not saying he is right, nor am I saying he is wrong.  It just frustrates me to see him supposedly saying things like this about the club so early in the season as I think it provides an ugly representation of the club and our ambitions from one of our best (if not the best) players....
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #24: Oct 05, 2011 06:50:41 pm
      I'd love to see the original interview. Highly doubt he meant it like that.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #25: Oct 05, 2011 07:28:36 pm
      Maybe he has just said those words to take the pressure of himself and the rest of the lads,how the media interpret what they have printed to what he actually said is open to speculation.As long as he keeps playing with the same energy and enthusiasm that will do for me.
      emsy28
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 545 posts | 12 
      Reply #26: Oct 05, 2011 07:33:09 pm
      Come on people, he's only said what he feels is the truth and i agree with him. Look at our defence and try and honestly say our center backs are good enough in a season to win the league ? I think it shows already that we are at least a center back and right winger short.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,131 posts | 3377 
      Reply #27: Oct 05, 2011 07:35:05 pm
      Well he's wrong cos we will win the League.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #28: Oct 05, 2011 08:08:37 pm
      I don't like these comments even if they were true which they aren't, a Liverpool player should always believe we can do anything .

Dream big or don't dream at all !
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,360 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #29: Oct 05, 2011 08:19:35 pm
      Wont get me kecks in a twist on this one. Simply because I know hell be the one doing there utmost to prove him wrong!!

Defo said it. Maybe he phrased things slightly wrong and it might also be a ploy to ease expectations somewhat? Anyway Im sure youll all have forgotten he said it come 2.45 Saturday week!!!
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #30: Oct 05, 2011 09:01:30 pm

Jamie Carragher Disagrees with Luis Suarez, Believes It's Too Early for Liverpool to Concede the Title
      by Marcus Kwesi O'Mard on Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 3:52PM   

Jamie Carragher believes it's far too early to write off Liverpool's title chances. It runs contrary to the comments of Luis Suarez, who said that the Reds should focus on winning domestic cups as the league leaders are 'unreachable.' 

In an interview with talkSport, the veteran Liverpool defender said, "The last couple of years we have finished sixth and seventh so for us to get in the top four, we will be pleased with that this season. But at Christmas, if we are two or three points behind Manchester United or Manchester City, we are going to say we want to win the league.

"I always change my opinion of what I want us to do depending on where we are in the league. At this moment people will probably say we are in a race with Spurs and Arsenal (for fourth) because we are a little bit off Man City and Man United.

"We play Man United, if we can gain three points there, and we've got City as well, and Chelsea, so if we can get good results then your opinion changes."

Liverpool is in fifth place in the English Premier League after seven games. Manchester United and Manchester City are the league’s pacesetters, leading Liverpool by six points. Chelsea is three points ahead of the Reds.

Liverpool has 31 EPL games left to play. They play both Manchester clubs twice, Chelsea twice and one game against Arsenal and Tottenham.

The Reds are also alive in both domestic cup competitions. They are in the last 16 of the Carling Cup and have yet begin FA Cup play.

http://www.nesn.com/2011/10/jamie-carragher-disagrees-with-luis-suarez-believes-its-too-early-for-liverpool-to-concede-the-title.html

Spot on Jamie
      thereds13
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,206 posts | 18 
      Reply #31: Oct 05, 2011 09:01:44 pm
      He's probably been misquoted, can someone change the title ffs?
      LFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,715 posts | 36 
      • In JK I trust! YNWA
      Reply #32: Oct 05, 2011 09:03:18 pm
      He's probably been misquoted, can someone change the title ffs?

Yeah someone should have done that already.

What a stupid title
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #33: Oct 05, 2011 10:01:19 pm
      Hmm, i don't think we should assume this is what he actually said, the amount of times players get misquoted, especially if its being translated is always happening!
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Re: Suarez claims it's cups rather than top?
      Reply #34: Oct 05, 2011 10:54:12 pm
      I can't see what all the fuss is about. We are extremely unlikely to win the league this season, it's hardly an earth shattering revelation is it?

I agree about the fuss and agree about it being unlikely we'll win the league (although not extremely). But at this stage of the season, I'd raise an eyebrow or two at anyone suggesting we're too far away.

Maybe he meant in terms off squad ability/depth. Maybe he's playing mind games.

Maybe being that close to all them bitters last weekend has had a negative effect on his way of thinking.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,333 posts | 4960 
      Reply #35: Oct 05, 2011 11:04:07 pm
      But at this stage of the season, I'd raise an eyebrow or two at anyone suggesting we're too far away.

So true this Kenny.

I like players to be positive at all times and at least this early in the season.

Still think it has lost a bit in translation to be honest.
      DC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 261 posts |
      Reply #36: Oct 05, 2011 11:08:07 pm
      Can we change the title to: "not favorites to win the EPL love ESPN"
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #37: Oct 05, 2011 11:14:50 pm
      Tevez has been talking to Suarez.

Told him to speak a load of babble ..... and then after Suarez can say its all bollocks.

;D
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,008 posts | 209 
      • do do do
      Reply #38: Oct 06, 2011 02:29:38 am
      Obviously Luis doesn't understand or doesn't want to understand the Liverpool way. It might be "realistic" and "true" to say we can't win the league but you don't say this.
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #39: Oct 06, 2011 03:19:59 am
      Read the original and stop acting like women  ;)
      Its a special by the Gazzetta dello sport
      http://www.filesonic.com/file/2306613894/gazzetta_extratime_20111004.pdf

So...the interview went from spanish, to italian to english....dont see what could go wrong there!
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #40: Oct 06, 2011 03:59:01 am
      Disappointed in Luis a bit, would prefer he do his talking on the pitch and see where that takes us.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #41: Oct 06, 2011 04:17:14 am
      Gerrard and co. whenever asked about targets say "top four" - though this COULD mean the title, by saying top four you are saying 'title unlikely'

Different words, same meaning. Though I'd rather Suarez not say it quite as bluntly (pending proof he wasn't misquoted) I ain't gonna get my undies in a twist over it.
      macca8

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #42: Oct 06, 2011 09:32:08 am
      If he really meant that, there's nothing wrong to it as right now they're setting the pace, but it's still early in the season. Luis and co. knows that. last season Chelsea set the pace but crumbled under pressure.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #43: Oct 06, 2011 11:51:08 am
      I'm on the phone so can't post the article but he said Liverpool will always fight for the title but top 4 is minimum.

He claimed the other three clubs were unbreakable in terms if spending.

Can't believe the reaction on here. Watching him play is enough indication Luis Suarez will never not believe we can go in to any competition and not win.
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #44: Oct 06, 2011 12:05:41 pm
      I think the unreachable part suggests of lost intranslation.he might have said something like "hard to catch up" or something on the same lines.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,193 posts | 165 
      Reply #45: Oct 06, 2011 12:18:45 pm
      I'm on the phone so can't post the article but he said Liverpool will always fight for the title but top 4 is minimum.

He claimed the other three clubs were unbreakable in terms if spending.

Can't believe the reaction on here. Watching him play is enough indication Luis Suarez will never not believe we can go in to any competition and not win.

It's clear that the translation is not good. However in 2-4 seasons, I see Barcelona bid for him and he may leave. Unless we win the league or the have good runs in cups soon.

Quick Reply