Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

8 games in: Are we contenders?

Read 14806 times
      macca8
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Re: 8 games in: Are we contenders?
      Reply #23: Oct 17, 2011 08:50:09 pm
      ;D! 8 games going and our number 8 scored his first! How excited I am.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #24: Oct 17, 2011 08:54:19 pm
      Yes, but I'm busy at work at the moment. 

Feel free to join when you have the time to make a contribution to the debate ...
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #25: Oct 17, 2011 08:56:13 pm

Nah, nothing has changed ... I am still not interested in you ...
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,285 posts | 935 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #26: Oct 17, 2011 09:07:50 pm
      The next few games will give us a better idea of where we will finish, the easier games away is were we tend to slip up...

Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #27: Oct 17, 2011 09:17:26 pm
      Feel free to join when you have the time to make a contribution to the debate ...

Already joined, but it seemed you edited that out for some reason or other... mmmm.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #28: Oct 17, 2011 09:20:45 pm
      Already joined, but it seemed you edited that out for some reason or other... mmmm.

I was hoping for a bit more elaborate contribution from you ... We have enough "in a nutshell" answers already ...
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #29: Oct 17, 2011 09:26:35 pm
      Nah, nothing has changed ... I am still not interested in you ...

WUM.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,973 posts | 5033 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #30: Oct 17, 2011 09:50:43 pm
      Are we contenders ? are we improving ? are we 10 times better than last season? are the players confident ? will the lads play for Kenny? will the players run thru a brick wall for him ? are the owners the best on the planet ? are they backing Kenny with financial muscle ? is there that fire in the belly Shanks spoke of ?  am i asking to many questions ?  yes, yes f***in yes to all of them but that dont guarantee jack f***in sh*t,
      we are miles better than last season, we can all see by the way we play, the balance we have, the back up on the bench, we are moving forward that there is no doubt,
      anything can happen we're only 8 in there are potentially 90 pts to play for,there is absolutely no reason we cant be up there at the end, i think we will just keep making steady progress,there will be ups and downs but all in all we're heading in the right direction,are we contenders you f***in bet we are.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #31: Oct 17, 2011 09:51:17 pm
      Of course we are contenders, we may be the rank outsiders but were still in contention, we are only 8 points off the top at the minute, if were going to give in this early we may aswell have just gave the Chelsea the title last season.

For all Chelsea came flying out of the traps, they did not win the league did they ?

There will be various factors that see's teams drop points this season and Europe will be a factor in that and thats where we may get a chance to make up the 8 points, if we take 9 points from the next three games and those above us drop 3 each, it looks a lot better already.

Did the fans throw in the towel at half time in Istanbul ?, did they F**k they puffed out their chests and burst their lungs singing Y.N.W.A and inspired the team who could hear them in the dressing room, to go out there and have a go and we all know what happened next.

So F**k Mac Red and his negativity and his dampening down of expectations, he'd have crowned AC Milan winners at Half Time and Crowned Chelsea champions 8 games in last year, were Liverpool FC and were in with a chance until the maths rules us out simples.

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #32: Oct 17, 2011 09:55:42 pm
      Too early to judge but we are there or thereabouts and that's all you can do at this stage of the season.

A lot to prove to other clubs and ourselves that we can contend for the title. At least you can't say we're not contenders right now.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #33: Oct 17, 2011 10:06:16 pm
      we are miles better than last season

To be honest, our results this season have been slightly worse than our results last season, under Kenny ...
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #34: Oct 17, 2011 10:09:00 pm
      So f**k Mac Red and his negativity and his dampening down of expectations, he'd have crowned AC Milan winners at Half Time and Crowned Chelsea champions 8 games in last year, were Liverpool FC and were in with a chance until the maths rules us out simples.

No chance of having a sex with you, unless you publish your pictures in lingerie at these boards ...

By the way, I am still waiting for a reasonable analysis of our chances to win the title ...
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,333 posts | 4960 
      Reply #35: Oct 17, 2011 10:28:03 pm
      I think that Brian78 has asked some reasonable questions, opening a reasonable debate .

Unfortunately, some of the answers are not worthy of a 6-year-old .

Title of the thread.

8 games in: Are we contenders

My answer

Yes we are.

Who knows how the season will play out but as things stand we are contenders for the title.

Brian asked forum members that after 8 games do we feel we are contenders for the title and I, like a few others, gave an honest answer that yes we are in our opinion.

I'm sorry if that is too basic a response for you mate but if you like I'll expand just to make it clear.

We are currently 8 points behind first and still to play three of the teams above us.

As Brian says we are currently 8 games into the season which means there are still 30 games left to play which means there are 90 points still left to try and win.

So unlike yourself I feel it's a little early to be giving up and while those points are available and with us less than 3 wins for the top I believe we are contenders for the title.

I'm sorry if that doesn't sit well with your over analytical, pessimistic view of our team and football in general but that is my answer to Brian's question.
      Scottbot

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Reply #36: Oct 17, 2011 10:34:30 pm
      I think that Brian78 has asked some reasonable questions, opening a reasonable debate ...

Unfortunately, some of the answers are not worthy of a 6-year-old ...

And how is this comment adding to the debate? Aside from inflaming it?
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #37: Oct 17, 2011 10:35:18 pm

To be honest, after watching the first 8 matches of all top 6 teams, I now think that our chances of winning the title are slightly better, compared to what I have expected at the start of the season... Still, there are things to be done by Kenny, in terms of changing his regular team selection and his tactics this season, and we definitely need a couple of top reinforcements in January, if we even want to have this discussion... The Mancs, City and Chelsea are still the favorites for the title this season, but we might enter the mix, if some conditions are fulfilled...
      lfc_ynwa

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #38: Oct 17, 2011 10:35:58 pm
      Of course we're F***ing contenders, there's still 90 points on offer. We have shown that we can compete with the best on the pitch and we have shown that other managers are scared of us. It's way to early to even comprehend not having a chance, only time I'll give up is when it's mathematically impossible to win.

Did we give up when we were 3-0 down against Milan? Did we give up when there was only 4 minutes on the clock against West Ham? Did we F**k, we battled hard with the tiniest hope of winning and we won.

We aren't favourites but that's how we like to be. We play our best when we aren't favourites, when the odds are stacked against us. Time and time again we've risen from the media declined ashes and won the trophy.

Liverpool fans never give up, if only there's the slightest hope, we'll take it.

None of the other teams are that fantastic either, the Manc tw*ts started well but look shaky and we battled them for 90 minutes, despite only getting a draw.

City look the strongest but they haven't played any of the top sides yet with real quality in their time, like us. You can spend all the millions in the world, but we still fu**ed them 3-0 because we had more heart, determination and courage. Very underrated things in football.

Arsenal, they're sh*t!! We fu**ed them in their own yard easily. More fearful of Stoke them these bunch of useless pansy's.

We're improving game on game, getting stronger as a team and improving as a unit. We have a very strong, fit reliable back 4, strong central midfield with Gerrard returning to tear up the league. Suarez who's brilliant, amazing genius and not many have handled him all season. And he can only get better. Downing and Bellamy have both had decent starts, finding their feet well and look ready to press on and give us some match winning performances. Carroll getting a goal looking much better and fitter.

There's so many positives that we can use to support and cheer our team to win the title.

Just because we aren't top of the league at the moment, or the favourites in the media, it really doesn't matter. It doesnt matter if you're 1st, or 20th this time of the year, all that matters is what the table looks like after 38 games. Liverpool have won a lot of trophies from the depth's of defeat, FA cup and the Champions League to name just two. If we can do that, then winning the league in our current positiom seems like a walk in the park.

But let's not forget one thing, winning championships in clutches of defeat, winning cups when the odds are against you. Where we excel best and show everyone that they should never doubt us. Having the belief that they can win anything against anyone comes from us, as fans. We need to support the lads 110% every game, if we believe, then they believe!!!
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #39: Oct 17, 2011 10:38:53 pm
      Still, the Mancs, City and Chelsea are favorites for the title this season, but we might enter the mix, if some conditions are fulfilled ...

Ok we'll be sure to send Kenny your conditions.

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,682 posts | 6976 
      Reply #40: Oct 17, 2011 10:39:11 pm
      I think that Brian78 has asked some reasonable questions, opening a reasonable debate .

Unfortunately, some of the answers are not worthy of a 6-year-old .

Mostly yours.

So I'll answer the opening post with a simple graphic.

Carry on.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #41: Oct 17, 2011 10:39:21 pm
       I don't think we are serious contenders to win it, not yet. S@int made the point after the Mancs game that a Rush or an Aldridge would make a huge difference and he's spot on. A really heavy goalscorer now would have us right up there. We sold one to Chelsea as we had no choice, but we need another. At a push I'd have a look at Tevez, notwithstanding the fact that he a c*** he won't do what he did again. Failing that I'd try and unsettle Van persie at Arsenal. Either player, or Carrol really finding his feet would have us right up there. 
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #42: Oct 17, 2011 10:44:52 pm
      I don't think we are serious contenders to win it, not yet. S@int made the point after the Mancs game that a Rush or an Aldridge would make a huge difference and he's spot on. A really heavy goalscorer now would have us right up there. We sold one to Chelsea as we had no choice, but we need another. At a push I'd have a look at Tevez, notwithstanding the fact that he a c*** he won't do what he did again. Failing that I'd try and unsettle Van persie at Arsenal. Either player, or Carrol really finding his feet would have us right up there. 

A top finisher would help us, but I cant see us spending a penny on a new striker... The £35 million that we have spent on Carroll have pretty much tied our hands... The only hope we have is that he will find his goalscoring form again... Of course, for him to do so, he would actually need to get on the pitch and play...
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,480 posts | 2863 
      Reply #43: Oct 17, 2011 10:51:15 pm
      I think there's nothing wrong with saying United, City and Chelsea are favourites. They probably are. Yes the title isn't won in 8 games but if you want to make a judgment right now then you got to say those three look just a level above us at the moment.

I think we're contenders but we need to keep on improving every game and build up some momentum. We started alright then Spurs and Stoke dented our confidence and then a couple of hard fought wins over Everton and Wolves were good but there was certainly a sense of two points dropped again at the weekend (yes I know it was the Champions we played!).

I just think we need a good few wins on the bounce which will boost confidence for the trickier games against City and Chelsea. After the next five we'll be able to judge a lot better.

Don't forget that this squad has really been changed in the last 12-18 months so with every passing game we'll be gelling.

Rather than think about 8 points off the pace etc. we just need to get our heads down and win some more games.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #44: Oct 18, 2011 12:13:20 am
      DLS will kill me for not demanding first but Im happy to get the team bedded in well over this season adding perhaps one or two players in January.
      Kenny and Comolli did a great job. if we are honest we couldn't see some of the new players qualities they had until they started playing.
      IE Henderson.

I will be satisfied to finish in a CL place and let the Scum's noisy neighbours give whisky nose a bloody nose for the title.

If we get the title... an amazing bonus for Kenny and the lads.

We know we are the team now in the Renaissance and the ascendency . . . . whilst the Mancs, Citi, the Gooners and Chavs all face downward slopes in their own ways in their own time, over time.

Patience.

My wish list does have Stevie lifting the Premiership..and he will.
      If not 2012 then lucky 13.
      scouse_jatt
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 349 posts | 14 
      Reply #45: Oct 18, 2011 12:57:36 am
      Of course we are F***ing contenders, 8 games in or 28 games in it doesn't make a difference. Liverpool ain't even hit first gear yet ffs, Gerrard's just returned and he still has to play with Suarez and Carroll, Carroll and Suarez are still adapting to each others game...in fact the whole F***ing team are still getting used to playing together and we're only 8 points off the top.

Great start this season and unlucky not to have turned a few of the draws to wins. Once we hit top gear we'll be a force to be reckoned with, and if the title doesn't come this year, we'll sure as hell win it next year.

Quick Reply