Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Villa Park

Today is the 12th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P10 W5 D2 L3

8 games in: Are we contenders?

Read 14689 times
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Re: 8 games in: Are we contenders?
      Reply #46: Oct 18, 2011 01:11:47 am
      The way I see it ending is:
      1. Man City
      2. Man Utd
      3. Chelsea
      4. Liverpool
      5. Spurs
      6. Arsenal

We will not win the league in my opinion. Our team is not as good as Man City and United have been there and done that, have  that experience and we have a new team under a manager only one year back in the job.

We came 6th last season so to get back into that Top Four would be excellent progress and would put us back on the map for top players in the summer of 2012.
      No longer would we say "But we can't offer proper European football". Players who we may have missed out on in the past will no longer do that.

We must get 4th this season and I would bite anyones hand off for it right now!
      newguy
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 178 posts |
      Reply #47: Oct 18, 2011 01:50:37 am
      I don't think we are there yet, to be considered heavy contender for the titles, and i believe Kenny knows it, but we are pretty close, we should just prioritize getting into the Champions League this year, and what we really need right now is a good striker, in my mind Higuain would be perfect for this, but i don't Real Madrid is going to sell him with the good form he has found right now.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #48: Oct 18, 2011 05:14:50 am
      We are definitely contenders! Our squad may not be as deep as some of the others, however we don't have europe to focus on.
      I think the only problem was bedding the new guys in. If we can have Kuyt, Gerrard, Lucas and Suarez fit we will do very well. We can work newcomers around that lot. We have not been weak defensively for a long time. We need to score goals and to that end we are working towards creating more chances.
      MickeyScouse
      • Banned

• 426 posts |
      Reply #49: Oct 18, 2011 09:47:33 am
      We are contenders the same as Spurs & Arsenal are. If you think we can win it then you also think those clubs can. Utd, Chelsea & City are the serious contenders, but lets say we are certainly not out of the race quite yet. Outsiders is as good a description to label us with.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #50: Oct 18, 2011 01:59:56 pm
      I honestly expected more up to now. We are quite a few points further off the top than I expected given our run of games so far. A few errors at the back and a few missed chances will do that to a team. The good news is that apart from Spurs we have been the better side in every game, but we need to start getting the results our play deserves. 

2 points dropped against Sunderland, 3 points against Stoke, 2 points against the mancs.  We are clinging on by our fingertips at the moment to any chance of being contenders. We need to start being more clinical in front of goal and then finding a way to defend a lead if we are going to mount any sort of challenge.

Too early to give up hope of a title challenge, but not to early to say that we are only a couple of bad results away from having to accept that this may not be our season to challenge.

I hoped we would at worse be within 3 -5 points of the leaders by Christmas, and this is still my hope, any worse than that and we will be fighting for CL and not the title imo.

I think with the return of Gerrard it could be just the boost we need to close the gap that has opened up, but we seem to have reached the "must win" situation much earlier than I expected or hoped.

We are contenders, but we desperately need the results to start matching our good play if we are to stay in contention.
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,796 posts | 575 
      Reply #51: Oct 18, 2011 02:12:41 pm
      I still havent got over the opening day and dropping 2 points to a team that had been assembled in about 30 minutes. The highlights of course were Arsenal & Everton, but the old issue of not being clinical enough in front of goal will stop us from being contenders, if we were clinical we would have:

Sunderland (H) 2-1 Penalty alone
      Arsenal (A) 2-0 Ok
      Bolton (H) 4-1 Ok
      Stoke (A) 1-1 Lets just say that Henderson will do better next time, and we deserved a penalty
      Spurs (A) 0-4 no excuses, we were pathetic and amateurish
      Wolves (H) 5-1 this was a worrying game, the performance was good, but the finishing was awful
      Everton (A) 2-0 finally some luck and a decent performance, we were clinical and took the chances (except Kuyts) pen, but on balance a good result
      Man Utd (H) 2-1 should have buried one of them at the end of Suarez in the first half

So I think we have dropped 5 points more than a clinical team would have
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,604 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #52: Oct 18, 2011 02:18:42 pm
      8 games into the season and we are 8 points off the leader. Just hang in there and try to close the gap, the season is still very, very young. You'll never knows what will happen in the future.

Can we achieve top 4 ?  SURE.
      Can we win title? SURE.

;D
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,310 posts | 768 
      Reply #53: Oct 18, 2011 02:20:11 pm
      I am afraid to say at this stage that we are not realistic contenders, let in too many silly goals. Lack real sharpness in front of goal.Although having said that an improved run, qualification for the CL, would be a far more realistic target especially with Gerrard back in the side.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #54: Oct 18, 2011 03:01:48 pm

Personally, I think that we should concentrate on finishing in the Champions League places, and try to win at least one of the domestic cups. It would represent a natural development process for this LFC team, with many new players on it.
      MickeyScouse
      • Banned

• 426 posts |
      Reply #55: Oct 18, 2011 04:29:51 pm
      Personally, I think that we should concentrate on finishing in the Champions League places, and try to win at least one of the domestic cups. It would represent a natural development process for this LFC team, with many new players on it.

What else do you think we would try & achieve? We will want to finish as high up in the EPL as poosible & win the domestic cups. It's not rocket science.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,117 posts | 3370 
      Reply #56: Oct 18, 2011 05:01:52 pm
      I don't think we are serious contenders to win it, not yet. S@int made the point after the Mancs game that a Rush or an Aldridge would make a huge difference and he's spot on. A really heavy goalscorer now would have us right up there. We sold one to Chelsea as we had no choice, but we need another. At a push I'd have a look at Tevez, notwithstanding the fact that he a c*** he won't do what he did again. Failing that I'd try and unsettle Van persie at Arsenal. Either player, or Carrol really finding his feet would have us right up there. 

Lets be brutally honest here Mick but who the F**k wouldn't benefit from having an Ian Rush or John Aldridge in their side? There isn't a player in the League who comes close to knowing how to score like those two did. If you wanna talk about natural finishers then there's a young lad making a name for himself at Liverpool Football Club's U-18s by the name of Adam Morgan. Now I may be wrong, but two of our best finishers in the Premiership came from the same club and were called Robbie Fowler and Michael Owen. Rather than spending money on sh*t who aren't natural finishers - throw Morgan in and see how he goes.

Either way, I don't think we need another forward anyway given the only two games where our lack of finishing cost us (from forwards) was the Stoke and United games. The Sunderland game our forwards scored only for Carroll's to be ruled out - unjustly. Arsenal and Bolton we won. Stoke Suarez missed two sitters including one at the very death but it's more Henderson's chances who come under fire. Spurs just twatted us due to us being down to 9 men, so our finishing didn't come under much scrutiny that day. Wolves, Everton we won with Suarez scoring in both. And yeah United where we were hitting the target so it's more than likely good saves - if it was the other way round we'd be singing Pepe Reina as the greatest thing since slice bread for some of the saves De Gea made.

Suarez has 9 goals in 23 games. Torres, the natural finisher you mentioned, had 9 in 18. Five games isn't a big margin. And I remember games where Torres missed bagful of chances, five in one game against Newcastle.

So a goalscorer isn't what we actually need. A regular goalscoring midfielder is what we've lacked for a number of years and coincidentally that's when our spell of trophies has dried up. Henderson is getting into the chances, which I'm made up for, and once he gets to hitting the back of the net on a regular basis then our results will drastically turn. (not that one player is at fault for our current results)

Back to whether or not we're challengers well of course we F***ing are. United and City draw at the weekend, we win and we're 6 points off the top with City due at Anfield in a month's time. So F**k all the negative bas**rds and F**k settling for fourth or being content with a Champions League place, nah swerve that attitude. Certainly ain't the attitude of Liverpool fans I know.

We have the attitude of first. That's where we're aiming for and that's what we're still in contention for. Every team has a bad spell, lets hope ours was the Stoke and Spurs games. Lets hope a bad spell for us two games rather than five or six like it has been in the past. We can go again on a little run with Norwich, West Brom and Swansea before Chelsea and City. F***ing hell if we took 15 points from those five games we'd be well into the mix going into December where momentum can carry you through the festive period.

F**k being six points off top at the New Year turn, I'm looking at that the rest will wanna be within six points of us.

Damn straight we're contenders and we're more than that, we're Champions!
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #57: Oct 18, 2011 05:06:04 pm
      What else do you think we would try & achieve? We will want to finish as high up in the EPL as poosible & win the domestic cups. It's not rocket science.

It is not rocket science. It is called a squad management. The domestic cups are actually a realistic target this season, unlike the league title. We should always be playing our strongest squad in the cups, instead of sacrificing them, in order to keep our squad fresh for the league. I think that we have a deep enough squad to go all the way in both cups, and still finish at the Champions League places in the league.
      stooby
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 339 posts | 10 
      Reply #58: Oct 18, 2011 05:23:20 pm
      We now find ourselves after 8 games at the perifory of the challengers. I was hoping we could have stayed a bit closer on points to the teams fighting at the very top.
      I dont think we can now afford to drop any more points from games that we deserve, from our play, more than what we get.
      We now really have to fight for maximum points from every game we play in if we are to finish top 4.
      When you are title contenders you put away more of the chances that we missed on saturday i.e. the Suarez one, the Kuyt one and the Henderson one.
      For the last few seasons we have rellied on Stevie G, i was hoping after our signings we would have mooved further away from that but thank god he was back for saturday.
      More players really have to step up to the mark and show real DESIRE to go out and do anything to WIN matches, just like Stevie G does.
      MickeyScouse
      • Banned

• 426 posts |
      Reply #59: Oct 18, 2011 05:24:01 pm
      It is not rocket science. It is called a squad management. The domestic cups are actually a realistic target this season, unlike the league title. We should always be playing our strongest squad in the cups, instead of sacrificing them, in order to keep our squad fresh for the league. I think that we have a deep enough squad to go all the way in both cups, and still finish at the Champions League places in the league.

What are you going on about? You don't need that much squad management without European football. We should of course be pushing for both domestic cups & as high up the league as possible. That's what I'm saying, it's not rocket science to work out. State the obvious or what.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #60: Oct 18, 2011 05:49:40 pm
      What are you going on about? You don't need that much squad management without European football.

I am afraid it is not that simple. We will (hopefully) be playing our Carling Cup 5th round tie on November 29th/30th. We are playing our league games against Chelsea (away) on November 20th, and against Man City (home) on November 27th. It will be a very interesting 10 days, in terms of squad management.
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #61: Oct 18, 2011 06:30:02 pm
      If it's possible, then yes. Should revisit at 18 and 28 and see how much a gap there is between us and other teams, or us and the teams behind us. The season is long!
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,961 posts | 5018 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #62: Oct 18, 2011 08:07:11 pm

Is that you Roy ?  :f_whistle:

F**k me fella, is there a positive bone anywhere in your body ?
      every f***in thing you post has negative overtones, i dont know how to bring up your past postings but in a way i'm f***in glad because you'd make the grim reaper pack it in, i think your stuck in a time warp called Hodgeson's disease,
       seriously, do you suffer from depression by any chance?, cos if you dont your making a f***in good impression,
      there's been alot of posters on here who have picked up on your negativity,and it's f***in catching like a STD, your the type who hates to see people smile are'nt you ?
      do yourself a favour mate, go get your cock sucked or something, or stick your tongue into something wet and warm, you never know it might make you happy, and if that dont work there are plenty of train tracks around, maybe you would rather kiss a train.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #63: Oct 18, 2011 09:12:54 pm
      I was hoping for a bit more elaborate contribution from you .  We have enough "in a nutshell" answers already .

To quote someone earlier, pot, kettle and black ! you talk of 'in a nutshell' answers yet your reply to the question was (see below ) theoretically yes in reality no !  ???
      Theoretically, we can .  In reality, we are couple of top players and a full season of team development away .

Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #64: Oct 18, 2011 10:05:30 pm

Ah, the unconditional optimists. To be honest, I've disliked those the most back at RAWK, especially come the end of the season. The amount of bitching and moaning from them was always embarrassing.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #65: Oct 18, 2011 11:44:01 pm
      Ah, the unconditional optimists. To be honest, I've disliked those the most back at RAWK, especially come the end of the season. The amount of bi*ching and moaning from them was always embarrassing.

While the pessimists just like to get their embarassing bitching and moaning in early ? :)
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #66: Oct 19, 2011 12:10:02 am
      Ah, the unconditional optimists. To be honest, I've disliked those the most back at RAWK, especially come the end of the season. The amount of bitching and moaning from them was always embarrassing.

While the pessimists just like to get their embarassing bitching and moaning in early ? :)

Whilst some seem 4th as progress after the last two seasons but won't write us off this early.  Not a single team in the league we can't beat, we're not mathematically out of it, though to be honest my focus is the next game, which we'll be aiming to win and which will garner us three points.  After that, I'll focus on the next, which is winnable...you get my drift?  :)
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,117 posts | 3370 
      Reply #67: Oct 19, 2011 12:21:32 am

No they just get the "I told you so" in mate.
      Redman88
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 28 posts |
      Reply #68: Oct 19, 2011 12:44:02 am
      I would like to think so but with so many additions it could take a bit of time for everyone to gel. After the last 2 seasons getting back to the champions league is a priority. KD means business as well especially fielding out strong team against Exeter and Brighton in the carling cup. The future looks a lot more promising  ;D

Quick Reply