Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 15th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

Do we have to give this team a season to gel to bear the fruits of our labour.

Read 21964 times
      muck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,168 posts |
      Re: Do we have to give this team a season to gel to bear the fruits of our labour.
      Reply #184: Jan 21, 2012 08:38:06 pm
      Clearly we are a work in progress but this evening was a bit more than getting time to gel. I worry about Adam. His lack of mobility means he will struggle and I cannot see him stepping up to the level required for the CL. Indeed we haven't even seen his famed deadball delivery that was valued at 10M.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 6431 
      Re: Do we have to give this team a season to gel to bear the fruits of our labour.
      Reply #185: Jan 22, 2012 12:34:48 am
      At this point I'd say yes....they need a season to gel. Not looking polished yet.
      Teamofthemacs
      • Forum Steve Staunton

• 150 posts |
      • By that you mean..?
      Reply #186: Jan 22, 2012 12:53:33 am
      No, but 2 might just do it. We will find out.
      YNWA 'Walk this way...walk this way...'
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #187: Jan 22, 2012 09:18:12 am
       Our team has the potential to improve and the more they play together the better they should get but it is the same for all teams.

I am not sure that this group of players are good enough, no matter how long they are given to gel.

We have a group of very good players the problem is five other teams also have very good players, who on a week by week basis are better than us and will continue to get better as they gel

AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #188: Jan 31, 2012 10:55:39 pm
      Very relevant thread after the last 3 matches.

Don't know if Kenny giving them the rocket after Bolton was what got it started or if the lights just suddenly came on but our team is playing with extreme confidence right now.

Carroll is looking like a man given a new life the last 2 games and I think he has been going thru the process of how to be an all around Liverpool player, not just a brute waiting for a cross. Perhaps when Kenny said that this club was going to have more patience with him then others he meant it? Perhaps in the end we will have a better AC then we ever thought of because he will be a more complete player after KK and SC get done with him.

It's only 3 matches but something has happened, not quite sure yet if it 2 forward and 1 back process but the lights at Anfield are now on and we are definitely open for business.
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,831 posts | 580 
      Reply #189: Feb 01, 2012 05:35:32 pm
      How things have changed in a week. Last time we felt this positive Spurs came to town and burst our end of season bubble, I am sure the King will be keeping our players on their toes.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,302 posts | 943 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #190: Feb 03, 2012 08:50:26 pm
      Might become a little clearer after the Spurs game but i can't see Adam, Downing and Carroll making it myself Henderson don't look to clever, but he at least has time on his side.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #191: Mar 24, 2012 05:07:39 pm
      Think this still applies personally, we look anything but a settled unit.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #192: Mar 24, 2012 05:11:49 pm
      Doesn't to me we are getting worse. We look a complete mess
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,521 posts | 2874 
      Reply #193: Mar 24, 2012 05:13:57 pm
      Think this still applies personally, we look anything but a settled unit.

The wierd thing is we're actually getting worse as the season goes on.

The normal thing to happen for a team adapting to a new style of football and new players is that we'd start slow but get better.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #194: Mar 24, 2012 05:15:48 pm
      Agree chats since Christmas we have being a joke
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #195: Mar 24, 2012 05:16:28 pm
      Doesn't to me we are getting worse. We look a complete mess

Looking at it as a whole mate, I can sort of see the effects that this season has had on some our players, we started brightly but were still dropping points by our failure to convert the chances we created, doubts crept in and affected our confidence but we had our stubborn defense to rely on, then we concede a few goals and lose a game and the confidence zaps from the defense.

The wheels have well and truly fell off at the minute and kenny needs to be better than a kwik kwik fitter to sort it.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Reply #196: Mar 24, 2012 05:20:19 pm
      A cup with would suggest we have gelled but a loss to 2 relegation battlers on the bounce raises serious questions as what has gone wrong,these lads have plenty time to understand each other they are pros' at the game.

Either they cant understand the tactics or the pressure of a Red Jersey is too heavy a burden.
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #197: Mar 24, 2012 05:23:20 pm
      Thread title was my belief in August and still applies now.

We miss Lucas, badly.
      We have missed Agger the past few games.
      We have (I think) missed Glen.
      Some of the new players have not yet adjusted or adapted - or at least not as quick as we all wanted them to.

Bringing in what was effectively half a new team was always going to take time to sort out.  And FSG very much wanted a plan for the future, not just this season.   
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Reply #198: Mar 24, 2012 05:24:39 pm
      Thread title was my belief in August and still applies now.

We miss Lucas, badly.
      We have missed Agger the past few games.
      We have (I think) missed Glen.
      Some of the new players have not yet adjusted or adapted - or at least not as quick as we all wanted them to.

Bringing in what was effectively half a new team was always going to take time to sort out.  And FSG very much wanted a plan for the future, not just this season.   

With the current crop of players next season would be too much to expect anything other that a similar campaign.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #199: Mar 24, 2012 05:26:52 pm
      That is only an excuse mate at this stage and if any other manager was there it wouldn't be used. A lot of his signings have being appalling
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #200: Mar 24, 2012 05:35:59 pm
      We bought players that were good performers at their clubs we bought them from.  They haven't slotted in yet - who would have predicted that?

The history of the premiership is littered with players who move to bigger clubs, some don't make it, some do right away and some even take more than a season to find their feet.

Isn't this the sort of thing our director of football should have forseen or calculated with his sabermetrics??
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #201: Mar 24, 2012 05:39:31 pm
      Quite a lot of people actually predicted that. We overspent on average british talent
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #202: Mar 24, 2012 05:40:49 pm
      When it comes to this team being given the time to gel and work as one squad, I believe in that 100%. I've said it a dozen times on this forum. From what has happened over 24 months with the Ownership problems, 3 coaches, loss of players, new players, injuries... I think expecting a top 4 finish was a stretch. Not to mention losing Lucas. Gerrard's injury problems.

Now, I may be wrong or completely off base but I think that the start to the poor play all can be traced back to the loss of Xabi Alonso.

I think that Alonso was the heart and soul and was the commander on the pitch. He made every player better and when he left I think it was a huge loss for Gerrard, Carragher and thats why Torres jumped ship. Gerrard is the captain and the face of the club, but when it come to the actual spirit of play during the match, it was Alonso. I dont think Gerrard has the same hardcore grit, to get in someones face and make them play better.

I'm sure I'm going to get pounded on here for that opinion but, you can trace this teams poor performances back to the loss of Alonso.
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #203: Mar 24, 2012 05:41:41 pm
      No Way.

Silk purse from sows ears come to mind.

Sell the crap  in the summer.    Carroll  Downing  Adams

Fire Commolli.

I think Martin Jol would agree.  Felt he got stitched up at Spurs didn't he?
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #204: Mar 24, 2012 06:28:54 pm
      The players have had long enough to gel

If we have to wait any longer some of the players will be leaving on a free transfer 
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #205: Mar 24, 2012 09:48:55 pm
      When it comes to this team being given the time to gel and work as one squad, I believe in that 100%. I've said it a dozen times on this forum. From what has happened over 24 months with the Ownership problems, 3 coaches, loss of players, new players, injuries... I think expecting a top 4 finish was a stretch. Not to mention losing Lucas. Gerrard's injury problems.

Now, I may be wrong or completely off base but I think that the start to the poor play all can be traced back to the loss of Xabi Alonso.

I think that Alonso was the heart and soul and was the commander on the pitch. He made every player better and when he left I think it was a huge loss for Gerrard, Carragher and thats why Torres jumped ship. Gerrard is the captain and the face of the club, but when it come to the actual spirit of play during the match, it was Alonso. I dont think Gerrard has the same hardcore grit, to get in someones face and make them play better.

I'm sure I'm going to get pounded on here for that opinion but, you can trace this teams poor performances back to the loss of Alonso.

I actually agree. I've always stated that I felt safe with Xabi in the team. He was someone I could depend on and I think his loss is alot more than I expected. We've never exactly been the same since.

I don't think we can actually come up with excuses anymore.

I agree with giving a team time to gel but honestly, after one half of a season, they shouldn't be producing only 2 wins, 2 draws and 7 defeats in 2012.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #206: Mar 25, 2012 03:03:55 am
      I actually agree. I've always stated that I felt safe with Xabi in the team. He was someone I could depend on and I think his loss is alot more than I expected. We've never exactly been the same since.

I don't think we can actually come up with excuses anymore.

I agree with giving a team time to gel but honestly, after one half of a season, they shouldn't be producing only 2 wins, 2 draws and 7 defeats in 2012.
      Yeah, regardless to what Xabi Alonso brought on the pitch, I think the inconsistent play is a big problem. I understand a loss to the likes of City or United. But to lose out to a team in relegation, this far into the season is unacceptable. I think the majority of my posts show that I am fairly optimistic about this club and do realize were not a Championship club, but the players really need to get it together and start playing as a team. I dont see leadership on the pitch. I dont like it.

Maybe I'm spoiled from the success we have had in the past, but I see things that are not customary from Liverpool Football.
      I cant explain it, its just little mannerisms I see from the players. Its not something I have come to see from someone wearing the Liverpool crest. Its sh*t I expect from United or watching La Liga. I dont know, maybe its me but I just dont think some of the players actually realize where or who they play for. I'm disappointed. I like to think we have a bit more class and honor than other clubs. Its why I love this team and organization. Trust me Its not easy when you live a continent away and 6 hours behind and try to watch every match live from some server in China which is constantly buffering and its 7:00 am. 

Quick Reply