Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 20th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W5 D1 L1

The Sans-Lucas Central Midfield

Read 20058 times
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Re: The Sans-Lucas Central Midfield
      Reply #184: Dec 02, 2011 10:14:57 pm
      I think Spearing is ready, he's a good player and he won't let anyone down. Simple as that, stick him in and believe in him.
      spot on mick, spearing will do quiet nicely and he"s not afraid of a tackle ,i can"t believe that some on here are calling for the return of the Aquilani, FFS they need to get a grip on themselves ,Aquilani my bollocks i"m nearly after choking on my chicken curry .
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #185: Dec 02, 2011 10:33:41 pm
      I would never deny that Jay is a neat and tidy player, with great passion - I question the technical side of his game.

Having said that, he looked pretty good the other night, and has learned a lot in training as well, so I have high hopes for the lad.

Remember, Lucas didn't really start turning it on til he was 23 - same age as Jay is now I think (might be wrong)
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,160 posts | 1288 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #186: Dec 02, 2011 10:35:29 pm
      It's a no-brainer for me. Spearing has to start now. When called upon he's always delivered. It's so F***ing funny that people choose to forget Spearing's great vein of form at the back end of last Season yet it's exactly the same reason they use to justify the inclusion of Maxi.

We need somebody in the middle with a big pair of cahunas and Jay is that man. Really disappointed that Lucas has this injury and i wish him all the best on his recovery but i hardly think it's a crisis, we have someone tailor made for the role so let's chill.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #187: Dec 02, 2011 11:06:26 pm
      We've got a good run of games coming up now we've played every one we are rivaling for a top 4 finish with the exception of Newcastle, if we can continue in our vein of form of late against some of the so called lesser clubs it will be perfect for Jay to come in and do a job until Gerrard returns.

Jay has shown he's able and ready to step up when called up on, lets get behind him if selected as he may be filling in the gap for a good number of games over the next month or two.
      KennyIsKing
      • Banned

• 4,628 posts | 129 
      Reply #188: Dec 02, 2011 11:14:02 pm
      I have my doubts, but I also have hope that he can step up and really shine - he has some great qualities, but are they enough?
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #189: Dec 02, 2011 11:18:09 pm
      I would dearly love to see Jay given a run in the side. The problem is how will he cope without Lucas? For me Spearing and Lucas in midfield together, the few times they've played, have been devastating together. But there's no question in my mind who deserves a shot in that midfield position. Definitely Jay!
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #190: Dec 02, 2011 11:36:13 pm
      There's no player in the world we could have that would completely hide the loss of Lucas - and I believe that. But we've got a lad that would take a bullet for the badge, and has some real qualities about him. Jay Spearing. His engine won't stop, his fight won't stop and he sure as F**k won't hide when needed.

Go on Jay
      adidas
      • Forum Youth Player

• 16 posts |
      Reply #191: Dec 02, 2011 11:53:11 pm
      ok Jay seems the man in all eyes which is all good and fair.

just an afterthought though, didnt a certain Jamie Carragher start out in midfield,   and he hasnt got a hope of getting back into our back 4, just a thought, but a valid player to do the job.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #192: Dec 02, 2011 11:59:46 pm
      I'm with you Diego. I don't see how we can go in to the back end of the season with only Jay as a holding midfielder. Either Coady or someone else, whatever Kenny decides, we will need more than one option especially with the potential of having the same scenario as last week where we played two games in 48 hours.

I'm all for Jay playing and being first choice, but it'd be reassuring to have a back up or a rotational system going with someone else.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #193: Dec 03, 2011 04:14:17 am
      I would never deny that Jay is a neat and tidy player, with great passion - I question the technical side of his game.

Having said that, he looked pretty good the other night, and has learned a lot in training as well, so I have high hopes for the lad.

Remember, Lucas didn't really start turning it on til he was 23 - same age as Jay is now I think (might be wrong)

imagine if Spearing played as many games as Lucas did in the same role with the same responsibility. I bet he would end up turning doubters into huge fans just like the Brazillian did. then we might be at the end of the season saying we don't need "back up for Lucas" as we already have the wee man!
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #194: Dec 03, 2011 07:31:31 am
      just an afterthought though, didnt a certain Jamie Carragher start out in midfield,   and he hasnt got a hope of getting back into our back 4, just a thought, but a valid player to do the job.

:lmao:

Nice one! :D

(I'm treating your comment as a joke attempt, by the way, as you couldn't have been serious about him having zero chance of breaking back into the back four, or a genuine possibility for our midfield, could you? Or could you? Hmm...  :-\).
      adidas
      • Forum Youth Player

• 16 posts |
      Reply #195: Dec 03, 2011 08:04:26 am
      not a joke, he has BAGS of experience, is more or less the capitain (until sg returns ???), is very vocal, can tackle, is very good technically, and i think the agger/skirtl partnership is working and shouldnt be disturbed.

as i said an afterthought.
      and if anybody else get injured, we are looking at reserves to fill in already.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #196: Dec 03, 2011 08:33:19 am
      I'm devastated for Lucas - he's been a key player for a long time now but the fact that this is a view which has gradually become the general consensus speaks volumes.

With regard to our midfield without Lucas, I personally think we'll promote from within rather than bringing someone in. We've got Spearing, Shelvey apparently on his way back from Blackpool and then quality youth players like Coady. There's a real possibility of any of them getting the chance to step up.

There's also Henderson who can come in from the right? He's arguably played better in the middle for both us and Sunderland and it's his preferred position. Obviously he wouldn't be a direct stand in for Lucas as they are completely different players, but it highlights that we're not as bereft in midfield as it first appears.
      Al1892
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts |
      • We achieved your dreams 5 !!!!!
      Reply #197: Dec 03, 2011 08:42:14 am
      not a joke, he has BAGS of experience, is more or less the capitain (until sg returns ???), is very vocal, can tackle, is very good technically, and i think the agger/skirtl partnership is working and shouldnt be disturbed.

Carra has the ability alright but he hasnt got the legs or energy of spearing or lucas im afraid.
      « Last Edit: Dec 03, 2011 11:01:23 am by ayrton77 »
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #198: Dec 03, 2011 10:42:38 am
      Hello.

I tend just read about the forum now instead of posting, but hey ho thought I'd give my opinions.

Personally I think that Henderson should be given the chance to play CM. To me he's been largely dissapointing this season mainly because I made unrealistic ambitions for his this season. I think the lad has quality to come for sure, and a run at the heart of our team is just what he needs. Spearing is a tricky one for me, he is a good solid player and one that can do a good job. But at the same time (and forgive me if I'm wrong) he's not exactly the youngest prospect we have anymore. If he was good enough... Surly he's be in the team by now, or other teams would be itching to get him?
      Scottbot

• 9,623 posts | 2159 
      Reply #199: Dec 03, 2011 12:22:41 pm
      As it appears we will be without Lucas for an extended period of time, what are everyone's thoughts on our Central midfield now? How will we lineup without our two best CMs (Lucas and Gerrard)?

The simple solution is to put Spearing next to Adam. Everyone will cite Spearo's excellent form during the tail end of last season as the reason. But has anyone considered that his best games were next to Lucas? Does he have the energy and drive to take over?

Would you put Henderson and Adam ahead of Spearing in a midfield three? Shelvey in there too? We have options, but it's apparent that this will really hurt. What do you all think Kenny's solution will be?

I would go to a midfield three and have Henderson and Adam ahead of Spearing, but Hendo must play box-to-box.

Good thread starter this. It's a tricky one isn't it and losing Lucas is a MASSIVE blow and perhaps we will all realise just how good he has become during the next few months. My guess would be Spearing would slot straight in alongside Adam but you make a good point about Spearing's best games all being alongside Lucas. I really like those two in the same side together because their workrate is phenomenal. Does Spearo have the legs to play alongside Adam in a 2? I'm not so sure. I'd be interested to see midfield 3 with Adam playing a little higher up the pitch than we've seen him and Hendo looking to get up and down as has been suggested. Obviously performances and results will dictate whether Kenny looks around for a reinforcement in the window but if he does, I'd love to see Banega at the club.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,968 posts | 5027 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #200: Dec 03, 2011 01:41:31 pm
      So do you think Spearing was our best midfielder last season? Really?! And I trust Spearing to do a job when called too, never said I didn't - I just don't want him as our only option for such a key position.

You say I don't have faith in players Kenny rate, but if Kenny thinks so highly of Spearo, why has he brough Adam and started him in nearly every single game so far while Spearo only plays the odd Carling Cup game? Don't try to turn that into "I'm a better fan than you" debate, it has nothing to do with that.

Well Kenny has been at the club for less than 1 year and has already bought nearly 10 new players, so what are you saying again? Buying players is not the Liverpool way? I hate how the concept of 'the Liverpool way' can be distorted into anything people want to back their own opinions.

Unfortunately I don't have LFCTV but I do believe we got some cracking players in the youth setup. Are they ready though? I trust Kenny to make this judgement, as I said earlier if he can do the same as he did last season with Flano and Jack.

But again, it has NOTHING to do with trusting Kenny or not, after all, we don't even know what he's planning for January. If he does what I'm saying, and buys a new DM, will I get the chance to pretentiously ask the question just like you did - do you trust Kenny?

I know I do, but I also know I don't like the idea of having just Spearo for the position, unless some quality youngsters prove they're ready for the task - which doesn't happen very often, but would be sweet if happened.
      Firstly; No i dont think Spearo was our best midfielder last season, far from it but he is a adequate replacement and has proven many times he is up to it,
      2nd; He is not our only option at all, its why Kenny brought back Jonjo from Blackpool for extra cover, and also he can switch around the midfield as he suits depending on the opposition,
      Third; Adam was brought in because we needed a player who could deliver quality passes and provide link up play and can deliver on deadball situations, Spearo would always be below Adam in the pecking order as with Hendo,Gerrard,Kuyt,Downing etc,

and as for your 'i'm better fan than you' crap, dont be so pathetic, you sound like petulant schoolboy, who said anything about who's the better fan,there are your words not mine,

your reply to 'the Liverpool way' F**k sake, once again your putting words into this debate that are all yours, i never said that buying players is not the Liverpool way, read it again you might grasp what i was trying to say, of course Kenny needs to buy players thats a no brainer, all i was trying to say was to give a chance to squad players who may or may not do a satisfying job without spending money, i dont need to use 'The Liverpool Way'to back my opinions,

i do have LFCTV, and yeah there are alot of players probably not quite ready just yet, but they are on the periphery, and like,Kelly, Flanno, Robinson, can step up, it is only a matter of time, i to trust Kenny, i trust him to bring back the glory days of old, he has only been here less than a year and you can see for yourself the difference he has made already, keep the faith fella.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,471 posts | 2859 
      Reply #201: Dec 03, 2011 01:55:58 pm
      Some people really haven't grasped what others are saying in here.

We all know we won't sign anyone until January. Therefore we've got a fair few games this month with Spearing, Adam, Shelvey, Henderson and maybe Gerrard.

For me at least, Jay's earned the right to start the next few games. He was brilliant towards the back end of last season and he's done well when called into the side this season.

But what I am saying is that we still need to sign someone in that midfield. Playing Jay every game will only increase his chances of an injury, it's not that I don't rate the player I just think it would be insane to go into the second half of the season with only Jay as our defensive minded midfielder.

I'm pretty confident Spearing will deliver this month but that doesn't mean we don't need another player in his position next month.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,414 posts | 8646 
      Reply #202: Dec 03, 2011 02:20:17 pm
      ok Jay seems the man in all eyes which is all good and fair.

And your point is?

Carra's first game for the first team was in midfield and he scored. I also hope you said the above while crossing your fingers, cos it only takes an injury to Agger or Skrtel and he'll be back in the team.

Did you actually watch Jay's performances last season for Kenny, if so, you'll know you're talking sh*te.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,414 posts | 8646 
      Reply #203: Dec 03, 2011 02:22:00 pm

Wasn't a problem last season with Flanagan and Robinson, was it?
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #204: Dec 03, 2011 02:52:42 pm
      What I don't grasp is people banging on about players who aren't here for at least a month. By which time we might of sorted out the position, f**k we might even become a better team. So banging on players who aren't here is futile and idiotic. Especially since, as I've said, anything can happen between now and the window opening. All those players being mentioned are just as likely to pick up an injury as Jay Spearing is. January is the time to discuss signings, not now.

Well the forum has just re-opened its transfer window board, so I have to disagree.

Me arl fella agrees with me, as does our John. So quite easy to find people who agree with me on what I said, not what you interpreted. On a forum, it's good to be able to read correctly. I said at the back end of last season, not the season overall. He obviously wasn't our best player over the season because he wasn't trusted to play often enough. But from Kenny's return, only Suarez outshone him.

And the little dig about him coming from the Wirral is f**king childish lad. Making out people only rate him because he's from Merseyside is embarrassing to say the least.

I know pretty well you were talking about the end of last season, but I still disagree, for me he wasn't even the best midfielder, and Kenny probably agrees, as after being our '2nd best player' since he took over, Spearo has gone straight back to the bench this season.

Well if you haven't seen him, or any of our young lads, on a regular basis then how can you make such a certain decision that we need a new central midfielder? You can't, so don't.

You see, the person trying to say universal truths in this thread is you, not me; what I post here, as always, are my perceptions about the squad - and I think it's too risky to go the rest of the season without bringing someone new. But I also said that I'd be more than happy if one of the youngsters stepped up. On a forum, it's good to be able to read correctly. I'm not making any decisions about the club. Still, even if the youngsters step up and prove to be decent options - such as Jack Robinson did last season - I'd still be inclined to bring someone ready to make a bigger impact - like we did bringing Enrique to the very same position. Anyway, coming from someone who speaks of players from the 50's as if had seen them every weekend, that statement is particularly funny.

Firstly; No i dont think Spearo was our best midfielder last season, far from it

So I haven't lost my challenge then

but he is a adequate replacement and has proven many times he is up to it,
      2nd; He is not our only option at all, its why Kenny brought back Jonjo from Blackpool for extra cover, and also he can switch around the midfield as he suits depending on the opposition,
      Third; Adam was brought in because we needed a player who could deliver quality passes and provide link up play and can deliver on deadball situations, Spearo would always be below Adam in the pecking order as with Hendo,Gerrard,Kuyt,Downing etc,

and as for your 'i'm better fan than you' crap, dont be so pathetic, you sound like petulant schoolboy, who said anything about who's the better fan,there are your words not mine,

It was you who said I didn't have faith in our players. I do, I have never said I don't think Spearing will do a decent job. But if even you agree he is below so many players in the pecking order, why is it so shocking that I don't want him as our only option? Because we'll have to disagree on that one, he is our only option in the 1st team.

your reply to 'the Liverpool way' f**k sake, once again your putting words into this debate that are all yours, i never said that buying players is not the Liverpool way, read it again you might grasp what i was trying to say, of course Kenny needs to buy players thats a no brainer, all i was trying to say was to give a chance to squad players who may or may not do a satisfying job without spending money, i dont need to use 'The Liverpool Way'to back my opinions,

i do have LFCTV, and yeah there are alot of players probably not quite ready just yet, but they are on the periphery, and like,Kelly, Flanno, Robinson, can step up, it is only a matter of time, i to trust Kenny, i trust him to bring back the glory days of old, he has only been here less than a year and you can see for yourself the difference he has made already, keep the faith fella.

Definitely, I trust Kenny immensely. But you, just like me, don't know what he's going to do. Using the Liverpool Way to imply we'll use youth instead of buying a new player is just as much futurism as when I say I think we'll bring in someone. "Wait and see" work both ways, the difference being I'm not trying to look a better fan here.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,128 posts | 3375 
      Reply #205: Dec 03, 2011 04:36:55 pm
      Well the forum has just re-opened its transfer window board, so I have to disagree.

And in this in the transfer board? No so it's still F***ing stupid to be discussing signings. Never mind, maybe you'll get it one day.

I know pretty well you were talking about the end of last season, but I still disagree, for me he wasn't even the best midfielder, and Kenny probably agrees, as after being our '2nd best player' since he took over, Spearo has gone straight back to the bench this season.

Maybe Kenny does disagree, maybe he doesn't. Maybe he just feels Adam and Lucas are a better suited partnership than Spearing and Lucas.

You see, the person trying to say universal truths in this thread is you, not me; what I post here, as always, are my perceptions about the squad - and I think it's too risky to go the rest of the season without bringing someone new. But I also said that I'd be more than happy if one of the youngsters stepped up. On a forum, it's good to be able to read correctly. I'm not making any decisions about the club. Still, even if the youngsters step up and prove to be decent options - such as Jack Robinson did last season - I'd still be inclined to bring someone ready to make a bigger impact - like we did bringing Enrique to the very same position. Anyway, coming from someone who speaks of players from the 50's as if had seen them every weekend, that statement is particularly funny.

I actually very rarely talk about players pre-70s. Maybe you should read up on our history and know when players played. But I've seen enough of them to make decisions on them, you haven't seen enough of our younger players to make a decision on them yet you're certain we need a new central midfielder. That's what's particularly funny is you're certain without knowing what's available at the club. Once again, you might understand one day but I highly doubt it.
      TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Reply #206: Dec 03, 2011 04:49:36 pm
      I hardly understand why the debate is so heated.

In other threads people speak about recruiting wingers or recruiting forwards, and nobody see that as a criminal insult for Bellamy or Kuyt's talents.

Personnally I think that Spearing can do the job and several other players may eventually too, but I would also find safer to recruit another, more specialized DM if we can find one of Liverpool quality (and I was already saying that before Lucas was injured). Injuries, bad form and bans can happen (last year Kenny even had to play Poulsen for two or three matches) and not only to Lucas.

Quick Reply