Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 24th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W9 D1 L4

Liverpool FC Strike Force

Read 13407 times
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Re: Liverpool FC Strike Force
      Reply #23: Dec 06, 2011 04:12:08 pm
      You make it sound terribly complicated. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm not saying it isn't complicated either, but when we spent £35 million on Carroll, I didn't think we'd buy so much of a headache.

Like Sir Bob once said 'If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later.'

Sorry mate it's not my intention to make it sound complicated, football isn't really despite what people say. Strikers who play together though must play together (if you get me), hunt the ball together, make space together, complement each other, one go short one go long, one go near one go far etc etc. At the moment Carroll and Suarez not only don't play "together" they actually diminish each others effectiveness. Suarez we know is far more potent when Carroll doesn't play, and Carroll as we saw against Chelsea is a far better player when Suarez isn't around.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #24: Dec 06, 2011 04:13:40 pm
      Your talking about 30 million for darren bent.  Seriously would anyone like to waste that much money on him

Might as well join in your "nah nah nah-nah nah" Tuesday Corbally and point out that I strongly advocated buying him off of Tottenham before Sunderland bought him. I got laughed off the board I was on at the time. Even old timers get it right sometimes.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #25: Dec 06, 2011 04:14:31 pm
      we shouldn't be saying Suarez scoring 4 goals is an answer and Carrol is not it must go further than that. We havenot seen the Andy Carrol that Newcastle had why not???.
      Suarez is not going to be a 20 league goal man on current form and with our midfield goal scoring almost non existant we have problems. If Luis does get a ban are we going to stick with an out of form low on confidence striker if so we will be in bigger trouble. Its probably too late for Dirk to revert back to striker but who knows. Not being a stato I don't know how we fare in terms of chances created but we dont seem to get many easy goals and we dont flood the box with bodies either.
      Glad I'm not in Kenny's shoes its a conundrum for sure. We all agreed our squad was much better but all of a sudden we seem thin in midfield and attack.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #26: Dec 06, 2011 04:16:12 pm
      we shouldn't be saying Suarez scoring 4 goals is an answer and Carrol is not it must go further than that. We havenot seen the Andy Carrol that Newcastle had why not???.
      Suarez is not going to be a 20 league goal man on current form and with our midfield goal scoring almost non existant we have problems. If Luis does get a ban are we going to stick with an out of form low on confidence striker if so we will be in bigger trouble. Its probably too late for Dirk to revert back to striker but who knows. Not being a stato I don't know how we fare in terms of chances created but we dont seem to get many easy goals and we dont flood the box with bodies either.
      Glad I'm not in Kenny's shoes its a conundrum for sure. We all agreed our squad was much better but all of a sudden we seem thin in midfield and attack.

This is the thing. There was a couple of occasions last night when we had nobody at all in the box, very odd.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #27: Dec 06, 2011 04:16:22 pm
      I would never have gone near him.  He is one dimensional. Has good goals record but his all round game is limited
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #28: Dec 06, 2011 04:18:17 pm
      I would never have gone near him.   He is one dimensional. Has good goals record but his all round game is limited

Etc etc. Well at least if he does flop big style you can always point to the fact you were right mate. Clouds, silver linings and all that.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #29: Dec 06, 2011 04:22:06 pm
      I'd give Bent a miss, we need some one hard working and indistrous who'd be on the same wave length as Suarez, Bent's not that player in my opinion.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #30: Dec 06, 2011 04:23:09 pm
      After blowing 35 million on Andy Carroll im willing to bet John Henry would be slow to sanction another 30million outlay on another over rated English striker. You think bent is the best you can get for that price mick
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #31: Dec 06, 2011 04:25:07 pm
      After blowing 35 million on Andy Carroll im willing to bet John Henry would be slow to sanction another 30million outlay on another over rated English striker. You think bent is the best you can get for that price mick

I'm not sure mate. When I was advocating buying Bent tho he was 10-12, not 30.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #32: Dec 06, 2011 04:26:10 pm
      Whatever your view point its clear w ehave a problem in front of goal.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #33: Dec 06, 2011 04:26:45 pm
      I'd give Bent a miss, we need some one hard working and indistrous who'd be on the same wave length as Suarez, Bent's not that player in my opinion.

Agreed, with Suarez we need a footballer who can score, not a scorer who can sometimes play football. A young Rafael Van der Vaart would be the go, or a Peter Beardsley.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #34: Dec 06, 2011 04:35:44 pm
      Agreed, with Suarez we need a footballer who can score, not a scorer who can sometimes play football. A young Rafael Van der Vaart would be the go, or a Peter Beardsley.

Any one of Tevez, Lavezzi, Vargas, Neymar, Cavani would do me.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,335 posts | 4960 
      Reply #35: Dec 06, 2011 04:36:58 pm
      Might as well join in your "nah nah nah-nah nah" Tuesday Corbally and point out that I strongly advocated buying him off of Tottenham before Sunderland bought him. I got laughed off the board I was on at the time. Even old timers get it right sometimes.

I felt the same mick and I even wanted him before we signed Torres.

I do agree with those that say his game is a little limited but no one can dispute his goal record at every club he has been at in this league.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #36: Dec 06, 2011 04:42:18 pm
      Any one of Tevez, Lavezzi, Vargas, Neymar, Cavani would do me.

Not much change out of £30million with any of those mate, given those options I think we could get Torres for a lot less but I have always liked Tevez, so either twit or tw*t would do for me.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #37: Dec 06, 2011 04:45:09 pm
      What's the current situation with the youth's how is Sterling coming on.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #38: Dec 06, 2011 04:45:28 pm
      Stewart Downing, Jordan Henderson, Dirk Kuyt, Lucas Leiva and Charlie Adam have scored two goals from open play between them in the Premier League. 

That is a totally unacceptable statistic.

This sort of thing has been a concern for me for a long time now but to see that in writing is quite frankly, frightening. And has to change urgently.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,669 posts | 7156 
      Reply #39: Dec 06, 2011 04:49:08 pm
      The goal scoring figures are scary are we just unlucky if so it has to change soon.6 or 7 against that smug tw*t's Warnock's team would be a good start but it doesn't look like we can do it at home.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #40: Dec 06, 2011 04:49:52 pm
      Not much change out of £30million with any of those mate, given those options I think we could get Torres for a lot less but I have always liked Tevez, so either twit or tw*t would do for me.

That £30m could quite easily be recouped if we qualified for Champions League football though mate, personally I'd go in for Tevez on loan with an option to buy and see how he does from now until January and see where his head is at, if his heads not right don't take up the option and look elsewhere.

I think its a no risk scenrio, as Tevez will always give %110 on the pitch so you are guaranteed he will put a performance in, its just where his heads at with his private life and where he wants to be that you'd have to pay particular attention too.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,335 posts | 4960 
      Reply #41: Dec 06, 2011 04:54:43 pm
      The goal scoring figures are scary are we just unlucky if so it has to change soon.6 or 7 against that smug tw*t's Warnock's team would be a good start but it doesn't look like we can do it at home.

The stat JD posted is worrying to say the least and looks like if our strikers aren't scoring we will struggle to score and win games.

If things stay like this until January we may have no option but to look for someone to get us goals.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #42: Dec 06, 2011 04:55:45 pm
      I would rather take a risk with Torres or Adebayor to be honest,tevez has way too much baggage and i think he dont like england too much either.

Going to crucify me for this but needs must,would anyone take a punt on owen?
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #43: Dec 06, 2011 04:56:43 pm
      We need to go to the Bundesliga and get Lucas Barrios, he's had an injury and Lewandowski starts ahead of him for Dortmund but he's a great goalscorer and because he isn't starting its actually possible we may get him for a reasonable price.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,335 posts | 4960 
      Reply #44: Dec 06, 2011 04:57:45 pm
      I would rather take a risk with Torres or Adebayor to be honest,tevez has way too much baggage and i think he dont like england too much either.

Going to crucify me for this but needs must,would anyone take a punt on owen?

Owen wouldn't be for me shabs as apart from any other reason he is never fully fit for long enough.

I'd much rather have a more permanent long term option than a short term fix.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #45: Dec 06, 2011 05:01:39 pm
      Owen wouldn't be for me shabs as apart from any other reason he is never fully fit for long enough.

I'd much rather have a more permanent long term option than a short term fix.

Podolski?  now i would not say no to his signature.

Quick Reply