Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

SPL looking into safe standing

Read 3918 times
      Al1892
      • Forum Alan Hansen
      • Started Topic

• 635 posts |
      • We achieved your dreams 5 !!!!!
      SPL looking into safe standing
      Dec 19, 2011 04:44:39 pm
      So its been announced today the SPL are looking into safe standing? I think its a great idea its the only way to get the atmosphere back into games. There talking about along the lines of the german clubs that have it where there will be seats that fold down for european games. Do you think its a good idea and do you think the english FA will ever look into it? Cant see them considering it myself but i would love them too.
      YNWABairn
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      • Anti Modern Football
      Re: SPL looking into safe standing
      Reply #1: Dec 19, 2011 05:10:03 pm
      Coming from Scotland myself, I'm absoloutely delighted that the SFA's came to their senses and allowed safe standing to happen in the grounds. If only the FA could allow Premier League sides to take on board safe standing, it would make the atmosphere at games so much better. Imagine the Kop was all safe standing? There certainly wouldn't be as many problems with atmosphere as there would be at Anfield anyway.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #2: Dec 19, 2011 06:02:39 pm
      Its a sensitive issue with our club but I do believe it can be done.

And yes the atmosphere would improve dramatically at matches.
      Al1892
      • Forum Alan Hansen
      • Started Topic

• 635 posts |
      Reply #3: Dec 19, 2011 06:08:15 pm
      It is a sensitive issue but it can be done safely. Dortmunds terrace is brilliantly done
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #4: Dec 19, 2011 06:21:23 pm
      Will never be done here whilst Kenny is in charge.

http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php?topic=35144.0

You can't blame him for his feelings on the issue either.
      Al1892
      • Forum Alan Hansen
      • Started Topic

• 635 posts |
      Reply #5: Dec 19, 2011 06:35:13 pm
      First time iv seen that but i have to say i disagree with the king. Times have changed and it can be done safe.
      YNWABairn
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      • Anti Modern Football
      Reply #6: Dec 19, 2011 07:33:34 pm
      First time iv seen that but i have to say i disagree with the king. Times have changed and it can be done safe.

I agree here. I can understand entirely where Kenny and the people who were at/lost loved ones at Hillsborough, but technology has advanced and there's new ways around the dangers of classic terracing. The new Safe Standing isn't like terracing, it's much more secure and meets safety criteria or safety policies, whereas the old terraces with fences were a danger.

Afterall, it wasn't the standing factor that took 96 innocent lives, it was poor policing. Although seating is 100% safe, something needs to be done to bring back the atmosphere at games, which quite frankly is being killed at most grounds.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #7: Dec 19, 2011 09:02:35 pm
      What you have to think of with Kenny is, he had face to face encounters with relatives and loved ones of every one of the 96, Kenny attented every funeral of the 96, Kenny carried the grief of not only the families but the whole of Liverpool, he seen up close and personal how badly every family was affected by the tragedy, so whilst you say you may disagree, not one of us have and i hope we never have to walk a mile in his shoes.
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #8: Dec 19, 2011 09:38:52 pm
      The video clips of the Coventry game a week or two ago prove that all seaters are not exactly the most safest either.

Be interesting to see what sort of design the clubs propose for stands with safe seating in them.
      Al1892
      • Forum Alan Hansen
      • Started Topic

• 635 posts |
      Reply #9: Dec 19, 2011 10:37:59 pm
      What happened at the coventry game
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #10: Dec 19, 2011 10:39:18 pm
      Scottish football desperately needs higher attendences, St Johnston vs Aberdeen being the last straw for many, this could be good for the SPL.

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #11: Dec 19, 2011 10:49:38 pm
      What happened at the coventry game

Can't post a YouTube video from my phone but in a nutshell, there was a protest against the owners from the fans. Thd Stewards tried to throw some out and the fans fought back, resulting in a surge down some steps and people tripping over each other, falling down the steps.
      Swinton
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,984 posts | 42 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest...
      Reply #12: Dec 19, 2011 11:04:23 pm
      Scottish football desperately needs higher attendences, St Johnston vs Aberdeen being the last straw for many, this could be good for the SPL.

Going to go ahead and say it's not the fact you can't stand at football that stops us going, it's the fact it's over priced and sh*te quality. Mix that in with the financial standing of the country, we are going to have sh*te attendances, and I doubt this will change it.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #13: Dec 19, 2011 11:05:48 pm
      Going to go ahead and say it's not the fact you can't stand at football that stops us going, it's the fact it's over priced and sh*te quality. Mix that in with the financial standing of the country, we are going to have sh*te attendances, and I doubt this will change it.

Well yeah, it costs a lot but standing reduces prices where they have it.

I mean, I would go to more Celtic games if it wasnt too expensive for the quality. Standing may change that.

Edit: I mean Celtic, why I wrote Partick I have no clue.
      « Last Edit: Dec 19, 2011 11:20:44 pm by KS67 »
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,445 posts | 8656 
      Reply #14: Dec 20, 2011 03:16:37 am
      It'll never happen in the Premier League, simply because teams wouldn't be able to charge what they charge now for seats.

Simples.

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #15: Dec 20, 2011 03:49:13 am
      It'll never happen in the Premier League, simply because teams wouldn't be able to charge what they charge now for seats.

Simples.

I'm sure there's lots of teams that would like to be able to tho, even if it is to fill the ground out more and get in a bit more cash. The likes of Wigan, Blackburn, etc who wouldn't fill out their ground. That could also be down to their football ability / league standings but I'm sure a lot more people would go to a match for £10 as opposed to £20. You could have 1 man and his 2 kids with him for cheaper than him and 1 kid on normal prices.

Actually, what's the law with the Championship and League 1 & 2 with standing? Is it just the Premier League that has all seated?
      Bier
      Reply #16: Dec 20, 2011 06:03:57 am
      I'm sure there's lots of teams that would like to be able to tho, even if it is to fill the ground out more and get in a bit more cash. The likes of Wigan, Blackburn, etc who wouldn't fill out their ground. That could also be down to their football ability / league standings but I'm sure a lot more people would go to a match for £10 as opposed to £20. You could have 1 man and his 2 kids with him for cheaper than him and 1 kid on normal prices.

Actually, what's the law with the Championship and League 1 & 2 with standing? Is it just the Premier League that has all seated?
      But then again, most kids wouldn't actually see much with people standing in front of them.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,882 posts | 704 
      Reply #17: Dec 20, 2011 06:10:29 am
      Kenny Dalglish and more importantly, Margaret Aspinall, are completely against standing room in stadiums. You can't blame them either.

When it comes to safety v atmosphere, there is only one outcome.
      Al1892
      • Forum Alan Hansen
      • Started Topic

• 635 posts |
      Reply #18: Dec 20, 2011 10:12:34 am
      I can completely understand kennys reasons for not wanting standing. But compared to the old terraces todays engineering is alot better. Also games are policed alot better. I really dont think safety is an issue if its done right.
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #19: Dec 20, 2011 10:46:01 am

Simples.

Yes, but the safe standing areas have double the capacity, so you only need to charge 50% of the current price, for the same financial return.

http://picasaweb.google.com/SafeStanding/HoffenheimHiRailSeats
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,445 posts | 8656 
      Reply #20: Dec 20, 2011 07:54:35 pm
      Yes, but the safe standing areas have double the capacity, so you only need to charge 50% of the current price, for the same financial return.

http://picasaweb.google.com/SafeStanding/HoffenheimHiRailSeats

Actually your wrong on that point, they don't have double the capacity, you essentially stand in your seat spec, a bit like we do at anfield for European or big games, the guard rails just stop you from falling over seats in front, especially when celebrating, which I have seen happen with my own eyes at games when fans have stood in Premier League grounds.

I won't even point out to you what you are suggesting, and as I've said there is not a chance on Earth Premier League clubs will go for that, especially Liverpool under Kenny!
      Macedonian_Red
      • Banned

• 4,762 posts | 63 
      Reply #21: Dec 20, 2011 09:04:13 pm
      Actually your wrong on that point, they don't have double the capacity, you essentially stand in your seat spec, a bit like we do at anfield for European or big games, the guard rails just stop you from falling over seats in front, especially when celebrating, which I have seen happen with my own eyes at games when fans have stood in Premier League grounds.

I won't even point out to you what you are suggesting, and as I've said there is not a chance on Earth Premier League clubs will go for that, especially Liverpool under Kenny!

I have deliberately posted that example from Hoffenheim's new ground, where 1 row of seats is transformed into 2 rows of safe standing. Therefore, you actually have double the capacity in the same section, for the games when standing is allowed.

Personally, I doubt that will ever happen at our ground, no matter how safe it is.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,445 posts | 8656 
      Reply #22: Dec 21, 2011 01:43:45 am
      I have deliberately posted that example from Hoffenheim's new ground, where 1 row of seats is transformed into 2 rows of safe standing. Therefore, you actually have double the capacity in the same section, for the games when standing is allowed.

Personally, I doubt that will ever happen at our ground, no matter how safe it is.

The Football Supporters Federation actually had a roadshow when there was talk of this a few months back and the idea is not to have two in a space, but one person standing to one seat, exactly how it is done in Germany.

Quick Reply