Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Why can't we Score?

Read 17625 times
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Re: Why can't we Score?
      Reply #184: Feb 06, 2012 10:28:11 pm
      It has cost us since a few months ago and it doesn't look like it's getting any better.

Our top scorer this season is Bellamy, I think and he can't play every game.
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #185: Feb 06, 2012 10:54:49 pm

Does it though?

Last time Sly told us what the problem was with the team we ended up with Woy - I'll pass on taking advice from them again.

Long story short: Finishing isn't the problem and if you think it is, it reinforces what I say about statistics - they should support your argument and not be your argument.

Let me ask: Where do Sly get their data from?  Can you tell me how "wherever Sly get their data from" analyse it?
      « Last Edit: Feb 06, 2012 11:14:09 pm by vitez »
      LiverpoolCornhusker
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 656 posts | 24 
      Reply #186: Feb 07, 2012 06:16:04 am
      Does it though?

Last time Sly told us what the problem was with the team we ended up with Woy - I'll pass on taking advice from them again.

Long story short: Finishing isn't the problem and if you think it is, it reinforces what I say about statistics - they should support your argument and not be your argument.

Let me ask: Where do Sly get their data from?  Can you tell me how "wherever Sly get their data from" analyse it?

I understand what you're saying, stats can be deceiving, but presumably they are using the same method of analysis for every single team in the league. They aren't going to count non-chances as chances for Liverpool just because they want to lower Liverpool's "chance conversion rate".

Scoring is our problem. Finishing I would argue is the biggest problem of our scoring problem. In 12 games at home we have 14 goals and 8 draws. Those draws are against Sunderland, ManUre, Norwich, Swansea, Man City, Blackburn, Stoke, and now Spurs. Which of those games were we not the better team?

In short- if finishing isn't the problem, what the hell is? It certainly isn't our defense.

If we made a video out of clips of F***ing up great chances that thing would be a full-length feature film. Carroll blazing over unmarked from 6 yards from Kelly's cross. Suarez open header from 3 yards right at Friedel. Suarez blocked shot in the box. Gerrard free kick blasted into the wall from 19 yards. Bellamy free kick blasted into the wall from 20 yards. How did we not convert just ONE of those chances? One is all we needed!! Its been like this all year. Our defense has performed at a top-4 standard, our offense hasn't.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,885 posts | 6817 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #187: Feb 07, 2012 07:04:08 am
      ....Because not enough players are busting a gut to get into the F***ing Box.    :mad: :mad: :mad:
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #188: Feb 07, 2012 07:50:58 am
      ....Because not enough players are busting a gut to get into the f**king Box.    :mad: :mad: :mad:
      And when some of them get into the box they lay it off to another player instead of bursting the net,oh for a Roger Hunt or an Ian Rush in their prime,a Stevie Heighway, Kenny Dalglish,Robbie Fowler anyone Albert Stubbins,Billy Liddell.I can't recall the last time we had such a low scoring rate.
      macca8
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #189: Feb 07, 2012 08:03:08 am
      During that match I realized that we got serious problem with our passes. We were wasting too much time playing in our own half playing too many passes between our defenders and midfielders. We've giving our opponent too much time to regroup and when we finally getting on with our attacks, we just couldn't penetrate the thick line of defence. Even during counter attacks, we tend to pass back the ball. Our players didn't opened up for any forward passing to go through thus not allowing us to go further up front.

Then we got one other issue. There's not enough bodies either in or in front of the box. When Carroll finally making use of his height and superior physical, there's nobody at the receiving end. That's f**king frustrating. So for me, our problem is not the lack of scoring but the lack of initiave and aggresiveness and also the speed of play before scoring.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #190: Feb 07, 2012 08:41:23 am
      And when some of them get into the box they lay it off to another player instead of bursting the net,oh for a Roger Hunt or an Ian Rush in their prime,a Stevie Heighway, Kenny Dalglish,Robbie Fowler anyone Albert Stubbins,Billy Liddell.I can't recall the last time we had such a low scoring rate.
      This is the crucial point for me, or should I say points. We're not flooding the opposition area like we should be and then when the ball comes in, everyone seems to be trying to lay it off to someone else. Maybe it's a confidence thing because we haven't been scoring. Big Andy played out of his skin last night, I thought he had an excellent game and his knockdowns should be really useful but there's either nobody following up or when they do follow up, they try to lay it off instead of trying their luck with a shot.
      The old, 'You can't win the raffle if you don't buy a ticket' saying springs to mind.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #191: Feb 07, 2012 01:09:15 pm
      Seems to me that at home we go for the cross too many times, allowing opposition teams to pack the defence and then head it away, or usually kick it because our crosses are so poor.

You think back to when Torres was banging them in - not many were from crosses, they were all about quick breaks from the centre of midfield and playing a slide rule pass forward to him to run on to.

For me, we don't break quick enough down the middle - we allow teams to get all their players back.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,042 posts | 3967 
      Reply #192: Feb 07, 2012 01:42:30 pm
      How good would it be though to be totally efficient through the middle and have two sh*t hot wide men to boost that feed them all day long, we have experience it so why not again?
      /

tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,288 posts | 937 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #193: Feb 07, 2012 08:20:33 pm
      For years we have always had a leathal striker be it Hunt, Keagan, Rush, Fowler,Owen and Torres, we now have no such player at the club.Then add to that we always had midfielders who scored goals, Kennedy, Mcdermot, Whealan, Walk, Beardsly. We now have no such players at the club. We even used to have defenders who chipped in with the odd goal. We now have players like Carroll, Downing, Henderson, Adam who are only going to get the odd goal, just look at the goal difference, it tells no lies, thankfully the defence are working well together.

Most of all the is no creativity from midfield take last nights game how many decisive passes were there, Spurs had only one last night and Bale should have scored. When we get the ball in midfield it's passed to death, by the time  ball reaches the front, the opposition have time to set up there defence.

Another aspect we are very poor at is dead ball situations, corners taken from Gerrard are lofted well to high giving the defence ample time to clear the threat. How many corners do we have in a game compared to how many goals we score.
      Mohammad Abdullah
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 478 posts | -7 
      Reply #194: Feb 07, 2012 10:04:56 pm
      And ex-Manchester United right-back Neville thinks the Merseysiders' difficulty in attaining victories stems from a lack of composure in front of goal.

"It was the same old story," he said. "The defending was really good, the goalkeeper (Pepe Reina) was good and they played out of midfield alright, even though at times it could be a bit quicker.

"But once they get into the final third, they lack the belief, creativity and patience to play the extra pass.

Source: Sky Sports
      For once I think Gary got it right!
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #195: Feb 08, 2012 12:35:01 am
      Seems to me that at home we go for the cross too many times, allowing opposition teams to pack the defence and then head it away, or usually kick it because our crosses are so poor.

You think back to when Torres was banging them in - not many were from crosses, they were all about quick breaks from the centre of midfield and playing a slide rule pass forward to him to run on to.

For me, we don't break quick enough down the middle - we allow teams to get all their players back.
      Very good point there JD, but would you accept Torres back? Because at the moment we have nobody else quick enough in our squad at the present time. He's been a fool to himself and this club, Judas or not, if he was to bang in the goals, I for one would forgive and forget, well that's my opinion anyway!
      smurftheburn
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 589 posts | 28 
      Reply #196: Aug 09, 2012 04:07:43 pm

Huyton Red is clearly a prophet
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #197: Aug 09, 2012 05:46:42 pm

The goals clearly aren't big enough for us!
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,193 posts | 165 
      Reply #198: Aug 09, 2012 06:33:20 pm
      Our midfields don't go in the box enough, don't cross well and can hardly beat defenders with dribbles. Then it is easier to prevent us from scoring since the defenders "just" got to stop the strikers well.

Quick Reply