Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Why can't we Score?

Read 17620 times
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 19,260 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Why can't we Score?
      Dec 27, 2011 05:07:07 pm
      Why can we not score against the opposition? Now I do not get to many games so I do not get a 3D view of the play so to be fair this is a question I personally have not got a clue to the global answer, but lets have a look at the stats. (From the BBC)

Against Villa, away we had 19 shots on goal with 12 on target, yielding 2 goals.

Again away but to Wigan, we had 18 shots, 10 on target with no success.

Home to Blackburn, 28 shots, 15 on target resulting in 1 goal, again resulting in no success.

And the rest:

QPR(H) 21/15 goals 1 W
      Fulham(A) 17/9 goals 0 L
      City(H) 17/9 goals 1 D
      Chelsea(A) 9/3 goals 2 W
      Swansea(H) 18/10 goals 0 D
      WBA(A) 17/7 goals 2 W
      Norwich(H) 25/15 goals 1 D
      Scum(H) 14/8 goals 1 D
      Bitters(A) 15/9 goals 2 W
      Wolves(H) 14/6 goals 2 W
      Spurs(A) 5/2 goals 0 L
      Stoke(A) 20/11 goals 0 L
      Bolton(H) 17/9 goals 3 W
      Arsenal(A) 13/8 goals 2 W
      Sunderland(H) 11/4 goals 1 D

Total 298/162 goals 21

(Sorry I can not format the table function)

So if the BBC are correct, in the 18 League games so far, (one shy of half of the season), we have had 298 shots, and 168 of those have been on target.

That means that on average that every other shot is on target, not that bad, but,

Those 168 shots on target have yielded only 21 goals, that means it is taking us 6.48 shots on target to get just one goal.

Dreadful I think you will agree. But why is this?

Are we relying far too much on Suarez to get the goals, is he too greedy? Can't see tis too much as we are at least getting shots on target.
      Is Carroll any good? Are the other players at fault?, or is it just bad luck?

Are the opposition just riding their luck, are they defending in numbers that just means there are too many players between the ball and the goal? I just don't know. Other teams can break these "lesser" teams down, but why can't we. Is it the players, manager, or the Home support? as our away form is not too bad.

Now a depressing fact.
      The Scums last 3 games.
      QPR(A) 18/12 goals 2 W
      Fulham(A) 14/12 goals 5 W
      Wigan(H) 17/9 goals 5 W
      Total 49/33 goals 12 which equals 2.75 on target shots yields a goal, our stats for the same teams,
      QPR(H) 21/15 goals 1 W
      Fulham(A) 17/9 goals 0 L
      Wigan(A) 18/10 goals 0 D
      Total 56/34 goals 1 which makes depressing reading MORE SHOTS, MORE SHOTS on TARGET and of 34 shots on target only 1 goal.

So what is going wrong?

Edit: Just seen RLB stat attack in the C.Adam's player thread:- Coincidence honest.

tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,288 posts | 937 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Re: Why can't we Score?
      Reply #1: Dec 27, 2011 05:09:23 pm
      We are getting the chances but poor finishing is to blame..... god if we had a Robbie Fowler now, the rest would be history
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #2: Dec 27, 2011 05:14:55 pm
      Dont have a Goalscorer is one thing anyway. Lack of pace going forward and still think we are missing a link player like a mata silva hopefully Gerrard can do that
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #3: Dec 27, 2011 05:20:29 pm
      I refuse to play the "We've got not luck" card. We're just sh*te in front of goal.

Some players and teams just need that ONE chance to score and win the game. We can have 30 shots and not win and it's so annoying.
      It is ridiculous because our results have been so sh*te overall (less than 50% of league games won) but we haven't been playing sh*te.

Time and time again, when some good ball is played into the box, there is no one there to tap it in!

If you ask me, a front line consisting of Suarez, Bellamy and Maxi .. means we have no real forward in the team like Torres was when he was here.

It can be irrelevant if Suarez scores or not because our other players are not putting their goals in.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #4: Dec 27, 2011 05:22:39 pm
      No goals coming from midfield.

Suarez is definitely more a creator than a scorer.  Carroll hasn't had a massive opportunity, but he too isn't scoring as many as we expected.

We have had plenty of chances, but some of them have been half-chances.  Nobody prepared to drive through from the edge of the box.

Even Kuyt has gone off the boil.

I'm sure the situation will be resolved.  Apart from the finishing, we are creating and looking better defensively.  As disappointed as I am with the goalscoring side of things, I'm convinced we are getting close, and needing less players for success, than we did not so long ago.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #5: Dec 27, 2011 05:26:00 pm
      Worst stats in bold:

QPR(H) 21/15 goals 1 W
      Fulham(A) 17/9 goals 0 L
      City(H) 17/9 goals 1 D
      Chelsea(A) 9/3 goals 2 W
      Swansea(H) 18/10 goals 0 D
      WBA(A) 17/7 goals 2 W
      Norwich(H) 25/15 goals 1 D
      Scum(H) 14/8 goals 1 D
      Bitters(A) 15/9 goals 2 W
      Wolves(H) 14/6 goals 2 W
      Spurs(A) 5/2 goals 0 L
      Stoke(A) 20/11 goals 0 L
      Bolton(H) 17/9 goals 3 W
      Arsenal(A) 13/8 goals 2 W
      Sunderland(H) 11/4 goals 1 D

City aside, all "weaker" teams we should be beating.

Up to 11 chances on target for no result, or 15 for a single goal.

Stats can't prove everything, but I think there are serious issues with both our finishing, and the type of chance we are creating.

A shot from a hard angle or from distance will more than likely result in a save.

We need target practice, but also to work better as a team to get ourselves in clearer scoring chances, even if it results in a few less "chances" being created IMO.
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #6: Dec 27, 2011 05:29:06 pm
      Stats can be slightly misleading though as a crack from 40 yards that barely makes it to the goalkeeper is gonna be considered a shot on target isn't it? Now I haven't seen any matches for a while (no internet at home) so I don't know if that's the case or not but if it is maybe we're not being as creative as suggested.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #7: Dec 27, 2011 05:33:51 pm
      Stats can be slightly misleading though

Very much so.  The game against QPR we had a mass of chances in the first half - two where Suarez slid the ball across the face of the goal.  And then you have headers etc that go narrowly wide.

The latter are not on target and the former aren't even called chances according to 'stats'.

In fact even the games we get chances against us, most of them are ridiculous attempts from about 35 yards that just roll at Reina.  These are called 'shots on target'.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #8: Dec 27, 2011 05:34:30 pm
      If you didn't know it was all Charlie Adam's fault by now I'm seriously questioning your sanity.  :f_tongueincheek:

Seriously though it all comes down to converting our chances.

Now I know its hard to pidgeon hole it under that as there are so many variables involved like keepers having the games of their careers, hitting the woodwork, shots cleared off the lines, what constitues a clear goal scoring opportunity etc etc.

But the fact of the matter is we are getting getting more than enough clear cut chances in games to win the vast majority of them, so that can only come down to not being clinical enough.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #9: Dec 27, 2011 05:36:01 pm
      Half of the chances on goal are probably from Suarez at a 10 degree angle. :laugh:

We hit the woodwork 18 times (double the amount of the next teams) and if I'm not mistaken, those are classed as "off target" aren't they?
      leeboy30
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,409 posts | 64 
      Reply #10: Dec 27, 2011 05:40:05 pm
      I think the big issue is weve filled the squad with great pro's who want to play for LFC as the highlight of their careers, they work hard, track back, train hard and follow instructions to the tee. That is why we have the best defensive record in the league also

HOWEVER

The art of putting the ball in the back of then net cant be quantified so easily. For all of our guile and hard work these players have they lack 'composure' when it comes to finishing under pressure at the worlds biggest club. They dont have the goalscoring talent of the other mercenaries being purchased by chelski and city. I dont believe its something you can teach, its raw talent and our squad is sorely lacking in this quality.

I believe the addition of a torres/maxi type player who is younger, in his prime, hungry and who can finish will start the ball rolling and lift pressure off other players allowing carroll, downing and adam etc to get in on the goals.

Im also happy that kenny has solidified the squad like this with a hardworking defensive ethic so that when we add a silva/mata/torres type player to what we have he wont pick up any bad balotelli type habits.

This team is united, is playing well and will come good in the end. We need that famous liverpool support of just a few seasons back and Kenny will take care of the rest.

IKWT
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #11: Dec 27, 2011 06:03:33 pm
      Very much so.  The game against QPR we had a mass of chances in the first half - two where Suarez slid the ball across the face of the goal.  And then you have headers etc that go narrowly wide.

The latter are not on target and the former aren't even called chances according to 'stats'.

In fact even the games we get chances against us, most of them are ridiculous attempts from about 35 yards that just roll at Reina.  These are called 'shots on target'.

Precisely. In the long run, the bigger the sample, the better (more significant) will be the number of chances created of a team... it'll compute ridiculous long shots but overall the tendency is that the figure - comparatively to the other clubs - will show how 'creative' a team have been.

But even then, I've my doubts about the validity and importance of these stats (I'd say they've been massively over-used). So if you count a single match/half, or just a few matches, stats can be even more misleading, depending on the kind of the chances we're talking about. I've started to think about it watching Downing and seeing his 'wonderful' stats. He creates chances, and his fans always mention it. At the same time, most of them (or should I say, nearly the entire forum) seems to think Aaron Lennon is a headless chicken with no end-product. The fact is, statistically saying, Lennon is more creative than Downing. Actually, even Pennant is. Why is that?, I ask myself. For me, because they're the closest we got to the typical cross-all-the-time English winger. No matter how good are the chances their crosses create, I'm sure lots will be counted.

Anyway, despite this player or that player, and irrespective of the need of seeing the stats, I think it's safe to say that, as a team, we're creating chances, but not scoring enough. However, for me it doesn't mean that the strikers are our only problem. In fact, one of our strikers is the main reason why we are creating the chances in the first place (if not with his skill, then with his movement). Also, compare to any other top club and it's obvious that not only the strikers should be scoring goals - and apart from Maxi (who is a bit part player), we're not scoring too many goals from midfield. As a result, we ask too much from a single player, to create and to score.
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #12: Dec 27, 2011 06:16:43 pm
      No goals coming from midfield.

I disagree with that comment.

Even though it's important that all positions of the team contribute to the scoring - the strikers are the forefront of this and should be scoring on a more regular bases.

If you look at the stats:

Strikers goals (premier league) this season:

Luis Suarez (5)

Andy Carroll (2)

So a combination of 7 premier league goals from the strikers - which is nowhere near adequate for supposed, our two biggest goal threats.

Van Persie has scored twice that amount alone.

Midfielders goals (premier league) this season:

Craig Bellamy (2)

Charlie Adam (2) - may i also note that he also created two own goals against Wolves and Manchester City.

Maxi Rodriguez (2)

Jordan Henderson (1)

Steven Gerrard (1)

Total of 8 goals from midfield.

Before anyone mentions it, Bellamy has been commonly used as a left winger in the premier league.

Our midfield and wingers are contributing with goals, it's that our strikers are not doing their part well enough. They've had plenty of chances, more then sufficient to score more goals.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #13: Dec 27, 2011 06:23:13 pm
      Yes. Acceptable goal tally from midfield players.

Excellent defence.

NO Goalscorer as CorballyRed pointed out.

In fact No out and out Goalscorers.

;D and Wrong size goals.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #14: Dec 27, 2011 06:34:22 pm
      I disagree with that comment.

Even though it's important that all positions of the team contribute to the scoring - the strikers are the forefront of this and should be scoring on a more regular bases.

If you look at the stats:

Strikers goals (premier league) this season:

Luis Suarez (5)

Andy Carroll (2)

So a combination of 7 premier league goals from the strikers - which is nowhere near adequate for supposed, our two biggest goal threats.

Van Persie has scored twice that amount alone.

Midfielders goals (premier league) this season:

Craig Bellamy (2)

Charlie Adam (2) - may i also note that he also created two own goals against Wolves and Manchester City.

Maxi Rodriguez (2)

Jordan Henderson (1)

Steven Gerrard (1)

Total of 8 goals from midfield.

Before anyone mentions it, Bellamy has been commonly used as a left winger in the premier league.

Our midfield and wingers are contributing with goals, its that our strikers are not doing their part well enough.

Got to disagree about that. Obviously our strikers aren't scoring enough, but midfielders aren't either. 8 goals might seem much in our team that has only 18 (or 19?), but compare it to the other top clubs and it's clearly not much.

Silva and Johnson have scored 5 goals each, for example (plus Nasri, Toure and Milner with 2 goals each, and Barry with 1). Nani alone has 6, nearly all of our midfield together. Van der Vaart has 6, Bale scored 5. Lampard has 7 EPL goals this season, and Mata scored 4 times. Arsenal are a lot more dependent on Van Persie's fantastic form of late but even them have more than 8 goals from midfield...

So no, we're not scoring enough goals from midfield either...
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #15: Dec 27, 2011 06:36:18 pm
      8% - Liverpool have converted the lowest % of shots into goals in the 2011-12 Premier League.

Lets presume we had scored %16, we'd probably be top of the league.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      Reply #16: Dec 27, 2011 07:15:49 pm
      So no, we're not scoring enough goals from midfield either...

A fair point, but the percentage goals from midfield is a far inferior problem compared to the number scored from our front two.

Look at it this way - is the best way to address the problem buying a higher scoring midfielder, or an out and out attacker?

But I appreciate your point, that we cannot put the blame solely on the shoulders of Carroll and Suarez.

(Would just like to say - good discussion thread this! No knee-jerking one liners, plenty of opinion!).
      stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      • 'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Live
      Reply #17: Dec 27, 2011 07:18:37 pm
      Not clinical enough in front of goal,I think we are create tonnes of chance and we are just not putting the ball in the net,

I seen yesterday Downing and Johnston putting loads of balls in and around the penalty spot and there was no one there,
      we need a poacher in front of goal,

Sorry for me Andy Carroll is not a player thats going to get 25+ goals a season,time to cut our losses and get rid of him.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      Reply #18: Dec 27, 2011 07:23:03 pm
      I seen yesterday Downing and Johnston putting loads of balls in and around the penalty spot and there was no one there,
      we need a poacher in front of goal,

Fair enough, but would one striker in place of one of the ones we have really make a big difference in those situations?

I agree with your point about nobody being there when crosses come in (often), but surely that comes down to our midfielders not getting forward often enough?

I do think we don't get forward enough in numbers - could be a part of the problem. Gerrard getting fit could help, depending on how he is used.
      finchie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,576 posts | 154 
      Reply #19: Dec 27, 2011 07:31:10 pm
      I would be much more worried if we weren't creating chances.
      stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      • 'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Live
      Reply #20: Dec 27, 2011 07:34:26 pm
      Fair enough, but would one striker in place of one of the ones we have really make a big difference in those situations?

I agree with your point about nobody being there when crosses come in (often), but surely that comes down to our midfielders not getting forward often enough?

I do think we don't get forward enough in numbers - could be a part of the problem. Gerrard getting fit could help, depending on how he is used.

I agree I don't think our midfielders are getting forward enough, Adam is capable of getting forward and scoring I just think with Lucas injured he is staying more central and Hendersons position I don't know were he is meant to be playing,I do think we need a world class winger that can supply crosses if we are to hold on to Carroll.
      Was chuffed to see Stevie back yesterday and i think he can create a lot more chance for our strikers so i would start him Friday against Newcastle.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #21: Dec 27, 2011 07:36:12 pm
      I blame the shape of the ball  :f_tongueincheek:
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,243 posts | 851 
      Reply #22: Dec 27, 2011 07:41:25 pm