Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 15th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P13 W6 D5 L2

Why can't we Score?

Read 17559 times
      johnolly
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 117 posts |
      Re: Why can't we Score?
      Reply #23: Dec 27, 2011 07:56:14 pm
      I honestly think without stevie we are missing a box to box midfielder, and we do not have enough width if downing is playing on the right.
      Take yesterday, downing on a couple of occasions did actually go outside his man, which impressed me, but he didn't do it enough. Not entirely his fault as he is so left footed.
      If we are playing Carroll and Suarez we really need Carroll to be tying up two defenders and natural width leaving full backs exposed.
      I like Adam but think he only looks effective when we play three in midfield.
      I also think it's time for raheem Stirling to come in. Pace, width, and as we have seen with the reserves and youth knows where the net is. I know he has just turned 17 but if you're good enough you're old enough.
      Just my thoughts.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,596 posts | 1680 
      • YNWA
      Reply #24: Dec 27, 2011 09:14:35 pm
      Dunno.
      Thought that Adam, when he faced up to the peno against Wigan, just wasn't going to score.
      Have to put that down to lack of confidence in front of goal.
      Maybe the players are feeling the pressure, there are a lot of new faces on the starting sheet (compared to last season) and they're are trying TOO hard.
      Adam was scoring for fun last year. So was Carroll for the jordies. So they CAN do it.  They just aren't at the moment.
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #25: Dec 27, 2011 10:24:52 pm
      I would be much more worried if we weren't creating chances.

Yes and no. But mainly yes.

The foundations, as you said are in place, and we are in a much better place now than 12 months ago in terms of the way we set about our play.

Under Roy, it was more 'well we won't let the opposition score more than us'. I know we have a brilliant defensive record this term, but I still believe that our mentality is that of 'well we will out score you'. I feel under Rafa, we were more Roy that Kenny, the mentality that we will try control the other team, and then exploit spaces and mistakes the opposition made. Many were not a fan of this way, players and fans. The thing is, it was effective. That's e big difference in Rafa and Kenny's styles. Now I'm not saying that Kenny's style is not effective, 5 more goals and it would be a totally different picture. Is that down to luck? Wo knows.

Why can't we score? Is it confidence? Nah. I feel it is mental tho. If we don't score after our first few attacks, we become nervous and anxious. Not sure what to do with ourselves. If we score 1 early, we can get a few, he play like we will anyways. I think that when we do eventually score 1 early, all hell will break loose. All the players look comfortable in the build up and then the see the goal and it's tiny.

If your unsure what to do with th ball, stick it in the net and we'll discuss your options later. Great phrase. Can't remember the exact wording of the quote!
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2856 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #26: Dec 27, 2011 11:15:02 pm
      Saw this thread and without reading other posts have to reply OPPO GOALIES ARE HAVING BLINDERS AGAINST US
      staffletop
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 679 posts | 29 
      Reply #27: Dec 27, 2011 11:20:40 pm
      Football is a very simple game, goalies stop the ball going in, defenders stop the players getting into scoring positions, midfielders get the ball to the forwards and the forwards put it into the net.
      Suarez is brilliant but he is playing all on his own up there cause we don't have a forward with enough quality to help him out and put the ball in the net....like i said, simple game, simple answer....get another forward to play with luis.....oh yes, if we have to pay 35 mill for him at least get one that is premiership quality this time. :)
      Cad1875
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts | 59 
      Reply #28: Dec 28, 2011 12:17:55 am
       2 up front would be a start no
      chap
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 672 posts | 35 
      Reply #29: Dec 28, 2011 04:27:33 am
      Spanish fly anyone? ;D
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,605 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #30: Dec 28, 2011 05:22:58 am
      I refuse to play the "We've got not luck" card. We're just sh*te in front of goal.

Definitely not luck, cannot be over so many games.  ???

Might be more of a mental thing, they do not have the confidence, mental toughness, etc.  They will have to start hitting the goal for a few games consecutively to build up the confidence etc.  :f_steam:

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,844 posts | 6785 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #31: Dec 28, 2011 06:55:19 am
      I blame Pepe Reina.  :f_doh:

In practise he must be blocking and saving everything the lads throw at him. 

Their confidence must be shot.  Matchday comes along and they don't remember how to put it in the back of the net!

Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #32: Dec 28, 2011 07:10:15 am
      Dunno.
      Thought that Adam, when he faced up to the peno against Wigan, just wasn't going to score.
      Have to put that down to lack of confidence in front of goal.
      Maybe the players are feeling the pressure, there are a lot of new faces on the starting sheet (compared to last season) and they're are trying TOO hard.
      Adam was scoring for fun last year. So was Carroll for the jordies. So they CAN do it.  They just aren't at the moment.
      I agree with you regarding Charlie Adam and the missed penalty  at Wigan,I felt I knew exactly where he was going to hit the ball so it was telegraphed to the Wigan goalie.The goalie saved it  but you would not say it was a fantastic save.We are certainly lacking confidence in the scoring department and I am sure this lack of vonfidence must be doing Kenny's head in.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #33: Dec 28, 2011 07:17:47 am
      I would be worried as well if we aren't creating chances but that is just not enough.

I'd rather have 2-1 wins from 2 chances alone then creating 20 chances and draw 1-1.
      sarbz
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 125 posts |
      Reply #34: Dec 28, 2011 07:26:32 am
      Why cant we score? Because we don't have a poacher, an instinctive, ruthless goalscorer.

I really hope Comolli is making this priority number F***ing 1 - and I don't want one to turn up on Jan 31 to sign one hour before the deadline.

Get someone in right away in the first days of January - if we haggle for 4 weeks to get the price down by a couple mill and still struggle to score in January it wont be worth it, too much damage will be done.

We all believe we are creating plenty but not finishing. Get in a finisher then.

This groundhog day of missed chances matches and final minute GK heroics is killing my will to live, I need it to be over
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,191 posts | 165 
      Reply #35: Dec 28, 2011 07:34:45 am
      The wingers don't cross well enough and the chances created are always "forced"?(sry i don't speak english).

Arsenal
      They play 4-3-3.  I was watching arsenal yesterday, the central midfielders were not afraid to move, dribble, create and then pass with the ball, then the 2 of the 3 CMs  go quickly into the box expecting a cross  and if the cross doesn't come they restart.

What we do is the CMs pass the ball and the wingers must find a way to cross. Downing is not a great dribbler and his crosse who used to be great rarely finds a man in the box. Why? there's only one or 2 men in the box. Watch Arsenal! There are always 3-4 players in the box when a cross comes.
      The fact is that actually we rely too much on Suarez to create and not enough on the AM of the 4-3-3 (henderson). There are 3 different tyes of CMs generally in a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 formation: the defensive midfielder, the passer and the attacking midfielder.

Eg. Barca - Busquets-DM, Xavi-passer, Iniesta
      Arsenal - Song, Arteta, Rosisky/benayoun
      Chelsea - Romeu, rameres(passer), Mereiles(both am and passer), lampard(am)
      Man City - Toure(DM), Milner(passer), Silva(AM)

Have you seen Henderson help by going into the box? Do Adam  and Henderson move and dribble with the ball before passing? Is Suarez( the supposed goal scorer)occupying the CBs in the box almost everytime? no. He must not lead the attack i think.  And Downing should be a threat to the goal. A real threat. he isn't. He should be dribbling and crossing, terrorising the fullbacks like Swansea's winger did though their wingers are worth 6mil compared to Downing's 20mil.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #36: Dec 28, 2011 03:12:21 pm
      Just saw an interesting stat about the chance conversion rate.  Everton Qpr andwigan are our nearest rivals does it mean if they took there chances they would be top of the league it is all about quality not quantity
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #37: Dec 28, 2011 03:17:50 pm
      Just saw an interesting stat about the chance conversion rate.  Everton Qpr andwigan are our nearest rivals does it mean if they took there chances they would be top of the league it is all about quality not quantity

With goals, I'd take quantity over quality everyday of the week and at least twice on match days.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #38: Dec 28, 2011 03:19:45 pm

How many shots did they take compared to us Corr? interesting stat perhaps.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #39: Dec 28, 2011 03:34:06 pm
      Not really to be honest.  If everyone scored all there chances it would be a strange world. Like that stat that says we had 27 chances against blackburn. Really is all about quality them stats dont take the quality of them chances into account. To me the quality of the chances is a lot more interesting
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #40: Dec 28, 2011 03:36:14 pm
      Just checked on EPL index the following stats:

Liverpool
      Chances Created: 244
      Goals: 21
      Chance Conversion: 8,61%
      Shooting Accuracy: 40,63%

Everton
      Chances Created: 188
      Goals: 18
      Chance Conversion: 9,57%
      Shooting Accuracy: 40,11%

QPR
      Chances Created: 190
      Goals: 18
      Chance Conversion: 9,47%
      Shooting Accuracy: 34,97%

Wigan
      Chances Created: 176
      Goals: 15
      Chance Conversion: 8,52%
      Shooting Accuracy: 41,34%
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #41: Dec 28, 2011 03:38:31 pm
      Not really to be honest.  If everyone scored all there chances it would be a strange world. Like that stat that says we had 27 chances against blackburn. Really is all about quality them stats dont take the quality of them chances into account. To me the quality of the chances is a lot more interesting

Guess what I am saying is if our closest rivals in that stat % are QPR and Wigan and one attempeted 11 shots and the other 9 then most likely no, converting 25% more of them would not put those teams at the top of the table whereas an extra 7 goals for us would put us in the top 3/4.

Suppose its all in the way one chooses to look at it.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #42: Dec 28, 2011 03:40:41 pm
      Moved a few posts in here, since it seemed more appropriate than the Charlie Adam thread.
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #43: Dec 28, 2011 03:59:41 pm
      Because every team we play against there keeper alaway seems to be awarded MOM
      Tadders

• 6,828 posts | 580 
      Reply #44: Dec 28, 2011 04:41:22 pm
      "In boxing terms Liverpool have all the moves and a stout defence, but at Anfield at least they struggle to punch a hole in a paper bag. Blackburn and Bolton have both scored more Premier League goals this season than Dalglish's side - a stark statistic for a team aiming for the top four."

LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #45: Dec 28, 2011 05:03:04 pm
      Number 9 we dont have our number 9

Quick Reply