Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Why can't we Score?

Read 17609 times
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Re: Why can't we Score?
      Reply #138: Jan 16, 2012 12:50:44 pm
      Get rid of this notion that Carroll can only score with his head.  He scored a cracker against us once and one against City last season.  More please Andy!

And obviously having midfielders that can get a shot below the crossbar would help ;D

I think only Carroll's goal against City last year has been with his head, the rest have been shots.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #139: Jan 16, 2012 07:39:53 pm
      Something to cheer the forum up  :o

We are bottom of the league when it comes to chances converted with 8.22%.

More pints of gloom juice all round then  :f_tongueincheek:
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,288 posts | 937 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #140: Jan 16, 2012 07:47:39 pm
      Simple we dont score as we dont get any players in the box, we dont cross the ball anywere near good enough, we are slow in breaking and we are poor at dead ball situations, other than that alls well carry on
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,927 posts | 969 
      Reply #141: Jan 16, 2012 08:02:20 pm
      Simple we dont score as we dont get any players in the box, we dont cross the ball anywere near good enough, we are slow in breaking and we are poor at dead ball situations, other than that alls well carry on

This is simple, yet incredibly accurate! 

1.  Countless times against Stoke, we tried to play in a cross and had 1 man inside the box against 3 or 4 defenders.  We are never going to score like that unless:

2.  The crosses need to be much better!  Johno had one in particular against Stoke when he could have looked up and slid a pass across to Adam for a shot.  Instead, he kept his head down and played a ball to where he thought a player should be, but of course we had no one there because Adam was our only option in the box....  Stevie seems to be the only player we have who can consistently deliver threatening crosses from a wide position. 

3.  This is one of my biggest complaints.  We don't seem to be able to break down teams who keep 10 or 11 players behind the ball.  However, if we would counter with a bit more intent, we could probably nick a few more goals by doing this.  We used to counter attack so effectively under Rafa, but lately we have been completely ineffective on the counter.....

4.  Aside from the two goal game we had against Villa, we tend to be sh*te at converting from set pieces!  This needs to be better.  We all expected goals from Carrol and Adam on set pieces, but Adam's delivery has been poor all season, and Carrol hasn't shown any real promise on set piece situations.....
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #142: Jan 16, 2012 08:38:22 pm
      As soon as Pulis saw our team sheet on saturday he spent 20 minutes changing his formation and tactics in the dressing room and as he said in the post match interview "It worked"...
      Playing with one man up top in a home fixture is beyond me and frankly without Suarez we don't have anyone who can turn a dead end situation into a goal scoring opportunity which , if that isn't converted , will usually create chaos in the oppositions box(Kuyts goal line goal against Man U last season for eg..Suarez weaved his way through like a snake and never gave up)..
      I admit I'm very impressed with Johnsons new more attack minded position and its great to have Stevie back whippin those killer crosses in but without Luis Suarez I just don't see where the goals are gonna come from..We might dominate the play over the 90 mins but its so frustrating to see the ball end up back at Reina's feet from it bein on the edge of their box..
      Enrique , Downing , Adam , Johnson need some shooting practice at Melwood i'm afraid..
      We've got Bolton & Wolves up next in BPL...Christ if we can't beat these 2 sh*te teams then we can kiss top 4 goodbye...
      My only saving thought is that "when" we get to wembley we'll have our top man back...
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #143: Jan 16, 2012 09:14:59 pm
      Pace, creativity and movement, three simple things that without being too harsh on our current crop of attackers (Adam, Carroll, Downing, Kuyt) are sorely lacking, switch them with Gerrard, Suarez, Maxi and Bellamy and we're a completely different animal, problem is of course Maxi's and Bellamy's age and conditioning, hence why we're desperate for some injection of attacking creativity.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #144: Jan 16, 2012 09:19:58 pm
      Pace, creativity and movement, three simple things that without being too harsh on our current crop of attackers (Adam, Carroll, Downing, Kuyt) are sorely lacking, switch them with Gerrard, Suarez, Maxi and Bellamy and we're a completely different animal, problem is of course Maxi's and Bellamy's age and conditioning, hence why we're desperate for some injection of attacking creativity.

I've posted elsewhere but agree and therefore while Suarez is out one of Bellamy or Maxi should start every game because they have good movement and link up play.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,288 posts | 937 
      Reply #145: Jan 16, 2012 10:43:55 pm
      I've posted elsewhere but agree and therefore while Suarez is out one of Bellamy or Maxi should start every game because they have good movement and link up play.
      Then why play Kuyt as a lone striker at home against Stoke, surely the tactics are wrong
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #146: Jan 16, 2012 11:05:50 pm
      Has Bellers played up front yet.  He seems to be one flank or the other, maybe give him a run down the middle - if anything he'll put the sheets up opposing defenders.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,288 posts | 937 
      Reply #147: Jan 16, 2012 11:21:54 pm
      Think Bellers dose quite well on the flanks, he creates for others while making chances for himself, the problem is who is straight down the middle, we are lost in that position, a position we have always had a dominant player
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #148: Jan 17, 2012 12:15:10 am
      Easy to answer this one.We have set ourselves up,with a little and large set up,the little requires quick ball to feet,and more importantly,the large needs by-line balls to attack at the "back post",not lazy balls in from the edge of the area,into no-man's land.So called "wide players" need to beat opposition down the lines and cross half decent crosses.Not happening at the moment,so without Suarez,Carroll,is f*cked.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #149: Jan 17, 2012 12:18:09 am
      Or are we not getting enough bodies into the box?

We've hit the woodwork 17/18 times and I don't think any of them ended up going to a Liverpool player to slot it home.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #150: Jan 17, 2012 12:40:22 am
      Agreed we have had our woodwork damage,but our problems,are far more basic.Why sign a 35M centre forward,who needs to attack the crosses,to be effective,without wide players who can supply the feed.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #151: Jan 17, 2012 01:46:26 am
      One of the primary reasons why we are shy in front of goals is not just the £35 million misfit but our midfielders are just not up to in terms of chipping in with the goals and that has exposed our weakness upfront,let not forget we had one recognised striker under rafa which was torres and the midfield of gerrard,alonso chipped in with kuyt getting in on the act too.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #152: Jan 17, 2012 10:08:11 am
       Because we don't get enough bodies either ahead of the football or into the penalty area is the chief reason. Our delivery in generally poor is another (with Downing in particular being bitterly disappointing) and we lack pace is another. Also, we've been a bit unlucky, and as we have too many players who get chances but aren't natural finishers, we f*ck it up too often even though it's a sitter (Kuyt on Saturday being a perfect example).
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #153: Jan 17, 2012 11:51:54 pm
      Because we don't get enough bodies either ahead of the football or into the penalty area is the chief reason. Our delivery in generally poor is another (with Downing in particular being bitterly disappointing) and we lack pace is another. Also, we've been a bit unlucky, and as we have too many players who get chances but aren't natural finishers, we f*ck it up too often even though it's a sitter (Kuyt on Saturday being a perfect example).

No pace ....No players on the end.
      The stats say we are creating chances though.
      TeslaPhysics
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 985 posts | 32 
      Reply #154: Jan 18, 2012 12:06:55 am
      I notice a lot that even when we are pressing a team in thier own half, we may only have 2 players in the box.  Need to takes a chance some times, too worried about giving up the break away.  No reason we can't put 4 or 5 in the box, and leave the two centre backs to do the job of a break away.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,940 posts | 285 
      Reply #155: Jan 18, 2012 12:14:51 am
      I notice a lot that even when we are pressing a team in thier own half, we may only have 2 players in the box.  Need to takes a chance some times, too worried about giving up the break away.  No reason we can't put 4 or 5 in the box, and leave the two centre backs to do the job of a break away.

When we have the best defensive record in the league and are against anyone outside the top six, I completely agree we should be gambling a lot more and throwing 2-3 in the box throughout the game instead of max 2 which it appears to be atm.
      FRANS
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 551 posts | 19 
      Reply #156: Jan 18, 2012 12:40:08 pm
      we just need  a player like Bent
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #157: Jan 18, 2012 12:41:17 pm
      If we smash 5 or 6 past Bolton, half the threads in the Kop could be locked!
      FRANS
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 551 posts | 19 
      Reply #158: Jan 18, 2012 12:49:18 pm
      when last did we win with 5 clear goals.....it will not will not happen
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,427 posts | 6420 
      Reply #159: Jan 18, 2012 01:50:55 pm
      I think it's funny that we are the number one defense in the league since when pre season started everyone was talking about how bad our defense was going to be.

Now we can't freaking score......I think guys are looking for the perfect shot instead of taking a chance. Look how many times someone shoots from range and it deflects or the keeper mis-judges it. We have to just take chances and see what happens. The perfect play is nice but how many times does it actually occur.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #160: Jan 18, 2012 03:09:43 pm

So true Kelv  :laugh:

when last did we win with 5 clear goals.....it will not will not happen

Never say never FRANS  ;) we did stick 5 past Oldham a week or two back, I know it was only Oldham but even so...

Quick Reply