Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 9th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P11 W6 D4 L1

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match?

Jose Enrique
      (13.7%)
      Daniel Agger
      (25.8%)
      Martin Skrtel
      (8.9%)
      Jordan Henderson
      (16.1%)
      Jay Spearing
      (23.4%)
      Someone else
      (12.1%)

Man City 3-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Disappointment

Read 40347 times
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Re: Man City 3-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Disappointment
      Reply #667: Jan 03, 2012 10:34:59 pm
      Hard Truth tonight No3

"Liverpool need to buy a striker. Look at the stats - possession was 50/50 and City only had two more shots ... yet they won 3-0."

Twitter Comment

BBC Sport
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #668: Jan 03, 2012 10:35:00 pm
      Next Six Fixtures

Stoke City H
      Bolton A
      Wolves A
      Tottenham H
      Man U A
      Everton H

Can't be too confident now
      And cup matches?
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #669: Jan 03, 2012 10:35:40 pm
      Bet Pepe could tear his hair out with that goal when the ball sneaked under him, mad as f**k he was.
      Two mistakes in 10 mins cost us bigtime, Downing poor effort and Pepe's blunder neither good enough to take us forward. I dont think Pepe is as happy as he was a couple of years ago.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,661 posts | 6959 
      Reply #670: Jan 03, 2012 10:38:42 pm
      Basic fact is that the service isn't good enough.  Slag Carroll off if it makes you feel better, but I hardly saw us scoring bucketloads with Suarez up there on his own either.

Truth is that Kuyt and Downing gave nothing from the wings and Adam gave nothing from midfield.  Henderson did actually play at least one decent ball but Downing missed it.

Only Bellamy ever gets himself to the line and puts some decent balls in.  We've got one player in the team who can do that. 
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,961 posts | 5018 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #671: Jan 03, 2012 10:40:13 pm
      Unlike some I like andy Carroll. Now some people like to talk tactics and all sorts of bollocks but if you have a big centre forward your wingers have to hit the touchline and put in crosses he can come on to and as far as I can remember he has had everything but thrown at him.
      Stevie Heighway always went for the touchline as do all natural wingers but Downing dosent seem to have the pace to do that  which is a shame because I tohught he had been bought to supply Andy it made perfect sense.
      Anyway still pissed at the club I would love to know how Luis feels best thing for him is to go on holiday for a few weeks.
      Your bang on about the wingers mate, it seems todays wingers dont fancy flying full pelt towards the byline, aka, Heighway, John Robertson, Jinky Johnstone, et al,  and sending quality balls to big 'heid the ba' strikers, aw to see that again would be a step into the past, and bring back some very happy memories.
      therapy2004
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 145 posts |
      Reply #672: Jan 03, 2012 10:40:43 pm
      Cant believe how bad Downing was tonight made me miss Riera
      Not sure if you're joking, but I actually rate Riera higher than Downing.  I hoped that the club had seen something I'd missed in paying that money for Downing, but sadly that wasn't the case.  I have hope that Henderson will turn out to be a decent player, but Downing was our biggest transfer mistake in the summer.  No bite, no belief, no cutting edge to him.  It kills me to think of the quality we could have brought in instead of him. 
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #673: Jan 03, 2012 10:41:32 pm
      Truth is that Kuyt and Downing gave nothing from the wings and Adam gave nothing from midfield.  Henderson did actually play at least one decent ball but Downing missed it.

Nail on the head.

Also thought we were pretty good for large parts of the game but it's our clinical edge that is missing. Entirely agree with what the King said post match.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,293 posts | 4939 
      Reply #674: Jan 03, 2012 10:41:40 pm
      Only Bellamy ever gets himself to the line and puts some decent balls in.  We've got one player in the team who can do that. 

It is a problem when a striker playing wide is providing better service than our only proper wide player.
      Dynami:t
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 701 posts | 31 
      Reply #675: Jan 03, 2012 10:42:54 pm
      sh*t happens, City homeground is difficult place to go, they havent lost a point in there and problably wont lose mańy. Lets take wins from Oldham and Stoke and then our confidence is back and we can do a winning streak :) After that our position is very good. (It isnt bad even now, only 2 points from Arsenal and 3 from Chelsea)

Life Of Brian - ALways Look On The Bright Side Of Life!

Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,984 posts | 3061 
      Reply #676: Jan 03, 2012 10:43:50 pm
      Yes, but we disagree on the causes. I think its due to bad build up of the final play, while you believe its due to bad finishing
      To be fair, finishing has not been good also...but my main concern is with the midfield.

No maybe I've not been explicit - I think it's carving clear cut chances and finishing.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #677: Jan 03, 2012 10:44:20 pm
      Your bang on about the wingers mate, it seems todays wingers dont fancy flying full pelt towards the byline, aka, Heighway, John Robertson, Jinky Johnstone, et al,  and sending quality balls to big 'heid the ba' strikers, aw to see that again would be a step into the past, and bring back some very happy memories.

Roger Hunt would never have been Roger Hunt without Peter thompson or even Ian Callaghan and if we want Andy to be a success he needs his own Peter thompson.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #678: Jan 03, 2012 10:44:51 pm
      Service was poor but so was Carrolls movement, no point denying that. He rarely attacks a ball, always on his heels.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,961 posts | 5018 
      Reply #679: Jan 03, 2012 10:44:59 pm
      Sh*t happens, City homeground is difficult place to go, they havent lost a point in there and problably wont lose mańy. Lets take wins from Oldham and Stoke and then our confidence is back and we can do a winning streak :) After that our position is very good. (It isnt bad even now, only 2 points from Arsenal and 3 from Chelsea)

Life Of Brian - ALways Look On The Bright Side Of Life!

Shut up big nose  ;D
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #680: Jan 03, 2012 10:46:16 pm
      There were times during that game I wondered if Adam, Henderson, Downing and Kuyt were just taking the piss. I mean, can professional footballers play that badly by accident? :\

City were shocking, they offered no attacking threat all game, we just played into their hands by letting them score 2 soft goals in the first half. Reina needs to save more shots, Kuyt needs to not be dribbling the ball out of his own third.

The second goal the warning signs were there, we had just survived a cross into the front post, so you would think awareness would have been up, but no, Still had Spearing as the first man and Glen Johnson still didn't compete in the air.

The third goal was just criminal, and summed us up today. Just quite where this obsession with short free kicks and corners has come from is beyond me. Whatever the reasoning for wasting set plays when we have Skrtel, Agger and Carroll in the box it isn't working. Just gained a man advantage, back in the game, nah F**k it, give the game up instead.

With all the ball we had as well we were totally wasteful. Too occupied with getting into wide areas to cross meaningless balls into Carroll, we forgot to play some football. Only when Gerrard and Bellamy came on did we look to commit defenders and run at them.

I'm not even going to begin to have a pop at Carroll today, because it is obvious he is the type of striker to rely on service, and it was completely none existent - despite the volume of crosses we put in! All of which were either slow and lofted from ridiculous angles or drilled 10 yards over his head from the by-line.

Carroll wasn't the problem, it was the mentality of his suppliers, coupled with individual defensive errors that cost us that game.

F**k it just a complete write off!

NEXT!
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #681: Jan 03, 2012 10:47:38 pm
      Disappointed and frustrated, they were there for the taking and they didn't play well at all yet beat us 3-0, not good enough. Completely agree with Kenny's after the match appraisal, by clinical I think he means the entire attacking play.

Downing was awful tonight, had plenty of the ball and did absolutely nothing with it the entire game, sorry but he needs dropping completely. Doesn't have the pace to beat his man and doesn't deliver a cross of any quality and when it comes to shooting I've had enough of his shots so far this year to be bored of his standard fare.

Adam was so far out of his depth he was drowning, not sure if it's simply because of Lucas missing or him running out of steam these last 4 games as he was improving slightly even winning some MotM votes but tonight enough is enough, rest him for sure.

Henderson, started brightly and again glimpses of what he can do but as the game went on became more frustrating and could even see Gerrard visably frustrated with him passing it backwards and losing tempo in a move far too often, gain some confidence lad and start to apply yourself as the talent is there but the mentality isn't at the moment.

Spearing, lively and pretty assured in possession, had a fair game for me.

Kuyt, bloody horrible, not sure he contributed anything and his game has gone backwards at a rapid fashion this season to the point I can't see him starting many more games for us this season.

Three poor mistakes from our back five that we haven't been used to and I'm willing to forgive as they've been solid all season.

Carroll, you can say all you want about the quality of service, which to a point I agree with but beyond that he looks completely toothless, are we actually saying he has to have a perfect cross to score a goal otherwise he offers nothing else as that's not enough from our number 9 for me. Not gonna say he was awful as the service wasn't good enough to get that back but everything sent near him, including on the deck produced nothing and he looks completely clueless as to what to do if the move has any pace to it whatsoever, like he wants it slow slow, out wide, slower, now cross perfectely and he might just score once in a while. Not enough for me.

Bellamy and Gerrard came on just when we went to 3-0 down for me and I think were pretty deflated from that, still think they both did alright, Gerrard looking cautious as some said, Bellamy urgent and best quality on the ball we saw all night. Must do better, please sign a couple of attackers as we're desperate for them.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,527 posts | 1515 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #682: Jan 03, 2012 10:50:12 pm
      And some cracking goals too!
      Dynami:t
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 701 posts | 31 
      Reply #683: Jan 03, 2012 10:50:53 pm
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,961 posts | 5018 
      Reply #684: Jan 03, 2012 10:52:05 pm

Roger Hunt would never have been Roger Hunt without Peter thompson or even Ian Callaghan and if we want Andy to be a success he needs his own Peter thompson.
      Exactly,proper wingers required, i like the lad at Swansea, cant think of his name DOH! scored the other night to.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #685: Jan 03, 2012 10:52:09 pm
      Have to agree something is seriously wrong when a 32 year old striker is our best wide midfielder
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,527 posts | 1515 
      Reply #686: Jan 03, 2012 10:53:08 pm
      Service was poor but so was Carrolls movement, no point denying that. He rarely attacks a ball, always on his heels.
      Agreed 100%. Sometimes the big lad looks more shocked than anyone when the ball goes anywhere near him.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #687: Jan 03, 2012 10:53:14 pm
      Exactly,proper wingers required, i like the lad at Swansea, cant think of his name DOH! scored the other night to.

Please dont say Scott Sinclair Fulham are looking at him he is far from the answer and would do F**k all for Carroll another Jermanie Pennant
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,527 posts | 1515 
      Reply #688: Jan 03, 2012 10:54:04 pm

Nathan Dyer
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,293 posts | 4939 
      Reply #689: Jan 03, 2012 10:54:06 pm
      Please dont say Scott Sinclair Fulham are looking at him he is far from the answer and would do f**k all for Carroll another Jermanie Pennant

I think he means Dyer.

Quick Reply