Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 12th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P10 W5 D2 L3

Nick Barmby Retires

Read 877 times
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Nick Barmby Retires
      Jan 06, 2012 11:59:03 pm
      Barmby Retires, Aged 37
      Hull City caretaker boss Nick Barmby has announced his retirement from playing as he prepares to become the club's permanent manager.

The 37-year-old is expected to announce he is taking over on a full-time basis at the KC Stadium over the weekend.

Barmby made nearly 600 appearances in a 20-year career that began at Tottenham.

"I am giving up my football career, which on my side I'm gutted about because I still love playing," he told the Hull Daily Mail.

"I've wanted to be out there but that's got to end. That was a big decision for me and probably the biggest.

NICKY BARMBY FACTFILE
      Continue reading the main story
      Spurs (91-95) 110 apps, 28 goals
      Middlesbrough (95-96) 49 apps, 10 goals
      Everton (96-00) 133 apps, 24 goals
      Liverpool (00-02) 58 apps, 8 goals
      Leeds (02-04) 31 apps, 5 goals
      Nottingham Forest (loan 04), 6 apps, 1 goal
      Hull City (04-11), 197 apps, 32 goals
      "But to manage this club, I will do my very best and work as hard as possible."

Barmby took over at Hull in November after Nigel Pearson left to manage Leicester City.

And he has maintained their push for promotion with the Tigers currently sitting in the final play-off position.

The former England international made his 584th and final appearance in Hull's 2-1 win over Cardiff in October, scoring a late winner.

Barmby added: "I just hope people don't give me too much stick if it goes wrong.

"If I had the chant 'You don't know what you're doing!' I'd be gutted to be honest.

"But we'll definitely give it our best shot."

Barmby made 110 appearances for Spurs and earned his first England cap during his time at White Hart Lane as a 21-year-old substitute in a 0-0 draw with Uruguay.

He then had spells at Middlesbrough, Everton, Liverpool and Leeds before joining Hull, his hometown club, in 2004.

gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Re: Nick Barmby Retires
      Reply #1: Jan 07, 2012 12:04:10 am
      All the best Nick and good luck for the future!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,356 posts | 8616 
      Re: Nick Barmby Retires
      Reply #2: Jan 07, 2012 02:50:58 am
      HE'S RED, HE'S WHITE
      HE SCORED AGAINST THE sh*te!!

All the best for the future Nick.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay