Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 7th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P19 W7 D7 L5

Scott Sinclair (Swansea)

Read 7193 times
      stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      • 'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Live
      Scott Sinclair (Swansea)
      Jan 17, 2012 08:26:50 am
      LIVERPOOL have made an offer for £5m rated Swansea striker Scott Sinclair.

The former Chelsea forward has caught the eye of Liverpool boss Kenny Dalglish.

Sinclair would be seen as an ideal signing as he can play out wide as well as up front.

Dalglish is looking to bolster his attacking options before the transfer window slams shut at the end of the month.

His side have struggled for goals this season, having scored just 24 goals in 21 Premier League matches.

Despite the lack of goals, Dalglish remains publicly supportive of Andy Carroll.

The Liverpool boss maintains he is happy with Carroll's application and believes the striker is proving his commitment to the team ethos.

The club's £35million record signing's performance in last week's 1-0 Carling Cup semi-final first-leg victory at Manchester City came in for some criticism because of his ineffectiveness.

Carroll squandered a golden chance to put his side ahead in the fifth minute and flashed a long-range header wide of the far post later on.

Dalglish said: "Andy worked fantastically hard for us and sacrificed himself for the sake of the team."

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/230504?123

Not the most reliable of sources but for 5 million ??????
      « Last Edit: Jan 18, 2012 12:39:21 pm by Reslivo »
      Paisleydalglish
      Re: Scott Sinclair
      Reply #1: Jan 17, 2012 08:30:06 am
      Id be gobsmacked if they let him go for 5million or at all right now. Im sure he will give them a full season in the prem before he looked at options.

Daily Star? As you say not the most reliable.
      Al1892
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 635 posts |
      • We achieved your dreams 5 !!!!!
      Reply #2: Jan 17, 2012 08:30:27 am
      I like sinclair think hes been very good this season.
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #3: Jan 17, 2012 08:33:20 am
      I'd like to beleive this but "The Daily Star " the only thing thats normally right in that paper is the Tv listings!
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #4: Jan 17, 2012 08:35:42 am
      Liverpool are considering a January move to sign Swansea City attacker Scott Sinclair after a succession of glowing scouting reports left Anfield boss Kenny Dalglish readying a potential bid for the former Chelsea man.

Scott Sinclair spent five years trying to make the grade at Chelsea, being sent out on loan moves to no fewer than six sides before the Bath born adaptable forward opted to make a £500k move to South Wales and hasn't looked back since. The 22 year old knocked in 27 goals in his first season to help Brendan Rodgers' into the top flight via the play-offs.

The former England Under 21 international has continued to impress in the top flight notching up six goals from a wide role out on the left, offering support to summer signing Danny Graham and pushing Swansea City into the top half of the table.

Dalglish and director of football Damien Comolli have been committed to purchasing youthful players in order to build for the future and Sinclair certainly fits the bill in that respect and the top four chasers may feel they can tempt the Swansea City man to consider a move, especially as he has less than 18 months left to run on his current contract.

The fact that Sinclair can play out wide will also interest Dalglish who will feel that the adaptable Swansea City man can add an extra direct dimension to an attack that has struggled to break down opposition sides, managing just 24 goals in 21 Premier League matches.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/media-watch/liverpool-consider-bid-for-swansea-s-scott-sinclair

Im starting to be optimistic now  ;D
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,289 posts | 4938 
      Reply #5: Jan 17, 2012 09:42:51 am
      Liverpool are considering a January move to sign Swansea City attacker Scott Sinclair after a succession of glowing scouting reports left Anfield boss Kenny Dalglish readying a potential bid for the former Chelsea man.

Scott Sinclair spent five years trying to make the grade at Chelsea, being sent out on loan moves to no fewer than six sides before the Bath born adaptable forward opted to make a £500k move to South Wales and hasn't looked back since. The 22 year old knocked in 27 goals in his first season to help Brendan Rodgers' into the top flight via the play-offs.

The former England Under 21 international has continued to impress in the top flight notching up six goals from a wide role out on the left, offering support to summer signing Danny Graham and pushing Swansea City into the top half of the table.

Dalglish and director of football Damien Comolli have been committed to purchasing youthful players in order to build for the future and Sinclair certainly fits the bill in that respect and the top four chasers may feel they can tempt the Swansea City man to consider a move, especially as he has less than 18 months left to run on his current contract.

The fact that Sinclair can play out wide will also interest Dalglish who will feel that the adaptable Swansea City man can add an extra direct dimension to an attack that has struggled to break down opposition sides, managing just 24 goals in 21 Premier League matches.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/media-watch/liverpool-consider-bid-for-swansea-s-scott-sinclair

Im starting to be optimistic now  ;D

I wouldn't get too excited over that article if I were you mate.

That media watch gossip section on the official site is a joke and just reproduces all the bollocks in the papers.

Shouldn't be there in my opinion.
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #6: Jan 17, 2012 10:11:08 am
      Would be shocked if he was allowed to leave Swansea at all, even if a club offered £15m.

He is quite clearly a brilliant footballer. He is quick, a winger, pops in with the odd few goals but better known for assists. I would worry, however. I mean, think he is a great player but worry about his attitude. Not towards working as a team but I have a very sneaky suspicion, with no real evidence, that he may be quite cocky or arrogant. Like I say, no great evidence but just the impression I get from interviews etc. Whether it is something worth considering is another question. I do admire him for leaving Chelsea when it became clear he wasn't getting the right opportunities.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #7: Jan 17, 2012 11:48:12 am
      what is a £5mil rated player going to bring to our club we have been here so many times and it doesnt work.
      We have been buying potential for th elast 20 years and it has not worked on the whole.
      anoop
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 651 posts |
      • Liverpool fan till i die !!..
      Reply #8: Jan 17, 2012 12:16:07 pm
      what is a £5mil rated player going to bring to our club we have been here so many times and it doesnt work.
      We have been buying potential for th elast 20 years and it has not worked on the whole.

you mean go for expensive players like our 35m man?
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #9: Jan 17, 2012 12:34:12 pm
      you mean go for expensive players like our 35m man?
      So thats your positive imput
      . We spent £23 mil on Torres and look how well he did similar amount on Luis too.
      If you look at our history over the past 20 years their have been far more mediocre player bought for £5-£10 mil who just havent been good enough yet we persist with this folly. I am sure the Academy can produce players at least of similar quality far cheaper.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,289 posts | 4938 
      Reply #10: Jan 17, 2012 12:43:44 pm
      I am sure the Academy can produce players at least of similar quality far cheaper.

This is a point I agree on walton.

There have been many times over the years where we have bought players for £5-£10M or so to fill the squad when there might have been players in the youth ranks who could have stepped in and done the job.

Having said that there is also value to be had in players from the smaller teams and Sinclair could be one of those.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #11: Jan 17, 2012 02:23:03 pm
      Couldn't cut it at Chelsea, wouldn't cut it here.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #12: Jan 17, 2012 02:30:35 pm
      That is th erelevant point.If we want to compete with the top 4 and the likes of Real or Barca how does buying players who couldn't make it with these teams make us as strong as them.
      Answer is it dosen't. Equally if we buy someone who has not attracted the interest of the top European sides why are we in for them when the Scouting sytem throughout Europe has knowledge of every single player.
      Can't buy success cheaply these days.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #13: Jan 17, 2012 02:32:51 pm
      He is fantastic. If you've watched Swansea you would see how good he has been. Good luck as a youth player coming up in Chelsea's ranks given their policy on playing time for youth in the past 10 years. He is better than any of our wide options right now, and I'm one of the few who still kinda rates Downing. 
      harrydunn08

• 5,923 posts | 965 
      Reply #14: Jan 17, 2012 02:33:07 pm
      So thats your positive imput
      . We spent £23 mil on Torres and look how well he did similar amount on Luis too.
      If you look at our history over the past 20 years their have been far more mediocre player bought for £5-£10 mil who just havent been good enough yet we persist with this folly. I am sure the Academy can produce players at least of similar quality far cheaper.

Enrique cost about 7M, Reina cost about 6M, Agger cost 6M, Skrtel cost about 7M.....  I fail to see how any of these players would/could be described as anything but world class. 

5M for Sinclair would be an absolute steal!  He has looked sharp all season, and has had no problem dealing with the typically stingy defenses of the Prem.  The other day, he looked the best player on the field in the game against Arsenal, and he outperformed the likes of RVP and Walcot! 

Edit -  A few more players who fit the 5-10M category:
      Lucas Leiva moved to LFC for about 5M. 
      Adam Johnson move to City for around 7M - I'm pretty sure every LFC fan wishes that we had made that move!!
      Vidic moved to the Scum for around 7M. 

*** There are plenty of players who are absolute bargains and are available for between 5-10M.  It is the responsibility of our scouts to identify those players and bring them to the club for the right price!
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #15: Jan 17, 2012 05:54:22 pm
      Enrique and Reina cant get into the Spain side Agger has been injury prone and Skrtyl's form  over the past 18 months has been awful.
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #16: Jan 17, 2012 06:06:18 pm
      Skrtel has been top this season, it isn't Reina's fault that Valdes and Casillas are also spanish and Enrique would be in the Spain side if he was playing in La Liga, Agger is world class when he isnt injured
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,306 posts | 2847 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #17: Jan 17, 2012 06:19:00 pm

What are you basing that on? At 17, 18 he couldn't get in to a side who were winning leagues and might have won some European cups only for us!  Harsh. How many 17/18 year olds make it into the top sides, not that many.

Now at 22 he's having a very good season so I find your comment very strange
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #18: Jan 17, 2012 07:14:10 pm
      its the old adage if you are good enough you are old enough as Owen was. We need top class players with an aura surrounding them similar to Stevie and Luis Scott may be a decent player but is he at the level we need?I dont think he is.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,622 posts | 3851 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #19: Jan 17, 2012 07:17:01 pm
      Sinclair had started to get the odd game under Mourinho.
      That the manager then left is hardly the young lads fault.

If were writing off players based on their lack of playing time with Spain then Silva must be sh*t too.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,306 posts | 2847 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #20: Jan 17, 2012 07:33:30 pm
      its the old adage if you are good enough you are old enough as Owen was. We need top class players with an aura surrounding them similar to Stevie and Luis Scott may be a decent player but is he at the level we need?I dont think he is.

Owen was an exceptional talent from 16 and wasnt trying to force his way into a championship winning side and if you were to write off players who didnt start their careers off being superb then Lucas and Carra wouldn't have made it
      Scottbot

• 9,620 posts | 2159 
      Reply #21: Jan 18, 2012 11:36:39 am
      Enrique cost about 7M, Reina cost about 6M, Agger cost 6M, Skrtel cost about 7M.....  I fail to see how any of these players would/could be described as anything but world class. 

5M for Sinclair would be an absolute steal!  He has looked sharp all season, and has had no problem dealing with the typically stingy defenses of the Prem.  The other day, he looked the best player on the field in the game against Arsenal, and he outperformed the likes of RVP and Walcot! 

Edit -  A few more players who fit the 5-10M category:
      Lucas Leiva moved to LFC for about 5M. 
      Adam Johnson move to City for around 7M - I'm pretty sure every LFC fan wishes that we had made that move!!
      Vidic moved to the Scum for around 7M. 

*** There are plenty of players who are absolute bargains and are available for between 5-10M.  It is the responsibility of our scouts to identify those players and bring them to the club for the right price!

That's a pretty good point and we've deffo bought a good few players at that sort of price who have gone on to be excellent however, the club have not have much luck buying wide players for that sort of fee (or below) have they? The list doesn't read too good;

- Albert Riera
      - Alberto Nunez
      - Mark Gonzalez
      - Maxi Rodriguez
      - The Slovakian guy who's name i've forgotten (he was that good!)

In fact we're not much good when it comes to buying wide players of any description! £12 million for the disapointing Ryan Babel.Bennayoun was a nice little signing for a short time but he did his best work in central areas. Kewell was supposed to be the one but depsite one excellent season in 2006 he was never the answer either. And then this year we finally spend some big money on a wide player but unfortunately it was on the solid (but not spectactular) Stewart Downing.

I haven't seen that much of Sinclair but must admit i'd prefer to go for young Hoillett who looks the better prospect. But for those who say that Sinclair would be a bust because he didn't make it at Chelsea i'd say look at Daniel Sturridge who wasn't doing it at City, switched to Chelsea, wasn't doing it there either but has come back a different player after a spell at Bolton. Still not excited about Sinclair though!
      Monobrow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,425 posts | 27 
      Reply #22: Jan 18, 2012 11:38:22 am
      Maxi shouldn't be on that list. :f_doh:

Quick Reply