Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 18th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W3 D1 L3

You're Kenny, we need 5 changes, so who goes out and who comes in?

Read 9082 times
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,640 posts | 3867 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: You're Kenny, we need 5 changes, so who goes out and who comes in?
      Reply #23: Jan 23, 2012 09:43:05 am
                             Reina

Kelly       Skrtel        Agger       Johnson

Coady         Gerrard

Silva             Shelvey              Enrique

Carroll   

Subs: Doni, Carra, Coates, Henderson, Downing, Bellamy, Kuyt.   

Picking a forward line up is where I have the most difficulty.
      I know we can take it we are going to struggle for balance without Lucas or Spearing,
      but upfront we have seen the likes of Kuyt and Maxi fall off from what was a scintillating end to last season.
      Add to that Downing and Carroll not delivering and it becomes very difficult to try and guess what Kenny should
      do to rectify the situation.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,121 posts | 3370 
      Reply #24: Jan 23, 2012 01:25:45 pm
      So Adam Morgan struggles to make an impact in the reserves, gets moved back down to the U18s and continues to struggle there but somehow we should be trying to give him first team minutes.  Makes sense.

If we had to promote a striker, I'd go with Eccleston personally.  I don't even think Adam Morgan will make the grade, he's far too one dimensional IMHO.  Having said that, I'd still love for nothing more than Morgan himself to pin these words on his locker and call me out for being incredibly wrong about it all after his seventh consecutive season with yet another double digit goal return, can't see it mind.

Anyways, back to playing Kenny.

OUT: Carragher (wages far too high for what he offers to the team), Aurelio (fitness), Adam (can't defend to an acceptable standard), Kuyt (last chance to cash in for a somewhat decent amount), Cole (see Carra).

IN: Chivu (replacement for Aurelio and Carragher), Badelj (far superior to Adam IMHO), Krasic (out of favour at Juventus, a different type of winger option) - all three would probably cost a total of £20m combined and there's a good chance we'd be saving money on wages too.

So rather than pick a young promising forward, you'd rather spend money on somebody not good enough for Juventus - makes sense eh? Get a grip lad. And you'd rather pick Eccleston with three reserve goals over Morgan who has four reserve goals - makes sense eh? Get a grip lad. Now I'd expect a lad with first team experience, both here and in the lower leagues, to be doing a whole lot better than a lad who is in his first year with the reserves - wouldn't you?

Eccleston will never make it here because he's not good enough. That's why he's been loaned out to League 1 sides for three consecutive seasons. Whereas the quality youngsters get loaned out then make their mark on the first team - Kelly at Huddersfield, Spearing at Leicester. Hopefully Shelvey at Blackpool.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #25: Jan 23, 2012 01:31:53 pm
      "Not good enough for Juventus" is a load of rubbish.

Reina

Kelly       Skrtel        Agger       Johnson

Coady         Gerrard

Silva             Shelvey              Enrique

Carroll

Which Silva are you taking about? Toni Silva?
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #26: Jan 23, 2012 01:34:01 pm
      I'd give Joe Cole a chance to prove himself  - he is having a great season

anyone?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,640 posts | 3867 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #27: Jan 23, 2012 01:34:46 pm
      "Not good enough for Juventus" is a load of rubbish.

Which Silva are you taking about? Toni Silva?

Toni Brito Silva.
      That's the one.
      Would like to see one of our reserve players feature, a bit like Flanagan and Robinson at the back of last year.
      They filled in when needed in problem positions for us and right now I'd give Coady and Silva some opportunities in what I think are problem positions
      for us right now.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #28: Jan 23, 2012 01:35:00 pm
      Adam needs to be dropped = far too inconsistent.
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #29: Jan 23, 2012 02:54:39 pm
      So rather than pick a young promising forward, you'd rather spend money on somebody not good enough for Juventus - makes sense eh? Get a grip lad. And you'd rather pick Eccleston with three reserve goals over Morgan who has four reserve goals - makes sense eh? Get a grip lad. Now I'd expect a lad with first team experience, both here and in the lower leagues, to be doing a whole lot better than a lad who is in his first year with the reserves - wouldn't you?

Eccleston will never make it here because he's not good enough. That's why he's been loaned out to League 1 sides for three consecutive seasons. Whereas the quality youngsters get loaned out then make their mark on the first team - Kelly at Huddersfield, Spearing at Leicester. Hopefully Shelvey at Blackpool.

No, I'd pick up an excellent squad option who is currently out of favour at Juventus because the coach plays a different type of football to the one Krasic offers but I've since been informed that this isn't a thread to get into the nitty gritty of transfers and considering "you don't watch Serie A" (your words, not mine), we'll just leave it at that.  If Adam Morgan can rise above the scrap to oust the likes of Bijev, Eccleston, Pacheco, Ngoo and Amoo from ahead of him in the pecking order, he'll be doing well for himself and I wish him all the best.

Again, goals scored means very little to me because I'm a strong believer in the collective sum of the team will always be greater than the collective talent of all the individuals (it's not like there's a massive difference in the amount of goals scored, one player doesn't have say 15 goals and the other 2, 3 goals vs 4 goals is pretty much no different, also Eccleston scored 1 or 2 while on loan - I know for a fact definitely 1 but possibly even 2).  Eccleston is far more confident, trickier, pacier and links up better.  Morgan a better finisher and uses his body slightly better.  Both have their merits, Eccleston gets the nod ahead of Morgan for me.  I don't think either will make it here but currently, Eccleston is closer to the first squad than Morgan - just how I see it based on watching reserve performances.

RedLFCBlood
      Reply #30: Jan 23, 2012 03:02:46 pm
      I'd go for two players who are available relatively young and cheap.

Krasic and Granero.

Say bye bye to Maxi and Kuyt.

Overall I think that would compliment our current lot.

Granero would offer some much needed stability and creativity in midfield.

Krasic would offer us some balance from the right hand side.

chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,459 posts | 2852 
      Reply #31: Jan 23, 2012 04:53:22 pm
      1) Drop Carroll, Adam and Downing. And I mean from the squad, not the first team. Give them a kick up the arse. If things still aren't going well, transfer list them.

2) Promote a few youngsters. Even if it's not starting games regularly, get the likes of Silva, Morgan and Sterling in and around the first team. They might not be doing brilliantly in the reserves/youth team but a role in a League Cup Semi Final might drive them on to work harder in the reserves and push into the first team on a more regular basis.

3) Make sure the midfield is balanced. Steven Gerrard is the most creative midfielder in the team by a F***ing mile. Don't restrict him. Get Spearing, Coates or Agger alongside him so that he has a bit of freedom to push forward like he did against Newcastle to devastating effect.

4) Look at a couple of sensible additions in the last week of the transfer window. An extra midfielder, winger or striker (maybe even more than one) could be the difference for us this season.

5) Just ask for 100%. At the end of the day, we aren't going to sign a lot of players in the next week or so. So we have to make use of what we have. And these players, whilst they might not be the best, can all offer one thing. 100% effort. They can work and fight hard when they put that red shirt on and a lot of the time that makes up for lack of quality. Saturday was a very painful day to be a Red, not because we lost, but because a lot of the players didn't F***ing fight hard enough. If we lose, we lost but at least go down fighting. If we can cut out that type of performance (it wasn't much better against Stoke the previous week if I'm honest) then we'll start going places.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #32: Jan 23, 2012 05:14:50 pm
      I've thought about this and I'm not so sure about five changes being needed but what the F**k I'll give it a go... based solely on Saturday's display and nothing else.

* Coady (1) or Coates (2) in the 'holding' role if Jay's unavailable with Gerrard & Shelvey (3) in front.

* Sterling (4) gets a run out on the right (if we are playing with wide players) - not Kuyt and not Henderson.

* Morgan (5) gets a regular place coming off the bench.

-LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,237 posts | 1225 
      Reply #33: Jan 23, 2012 06:49:04 pm
      Like others have said, I'm not sure the "five changes" approach is the best way to go about getting the best out of the team. A lot of it what is needed revolves around coaching and managing the players as opposed to team selection per se. I think it's clear that we haven't seen anything like the best from certain players this season. The likes of Carroll, Downing and Henderson, all attacking players, barely have any goals or assists between them. Neither have they shown anywhere near enough bottle or fight to change that, or make a significant positive impact on the team's performances. Getting more out of these three would be a good place to start. There's a place here for simple good man-management because a lot of it I think is down to mentality. It's not a fundamental lack of ability that's preventing Henderson from getting stuck into tackles or taking more of a risk when he passes the ball and nor is it a question of ability when Carroll's competing in the air, or Downing in taking on full backs and getting in good crosses. They need coached or rollocked into performing to a higher standard. A spell on the bench might be a good idea for one or two of them. Introducing Shelvey ahead of Henderson, for instance, might not be a bad idea seeing as he's at least had some attacking impact when he's played. It's harder with a player like Carroll because the alternative is Kuyt, although one further alternative might be to stick Bellamy up top with Kuyt until Suarez returns.

In the absence of Lucas and given the unsuitability of our other mid's to the holding role, I think it would be a good idea to continue with Spearing as and when he's fit.We all saw against Bolton how easily they broke through our midfield and defense to be in on goal, and we'll struggle to keep outr good defensive record if that isn't rectified. Part of it is down to a basic lack of concentration but we can mitigate that by selecting the right midfield combo . Adam isn't a very competent defensive midfielder and never has been (he's another who needs a rapid kick up the backside), while Gerrard's game is much more about looking forward than it is holding his position and anticipating threats in front of the back four. Spearing's game, on the other hand, has that very focus and he's a tidy passer as well so I'd stick with him.

Obviously the scope for the greatest impact would be a new signing or two in the attacking department, but that's for another thread.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 10,966 posts | 5022 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #34: Jan 23, 2012 07:46:30 pm
      We have two pivotal games coming up starting from Wednesday,i don't expect there to be wholesale changes but i do expect whoever is chosen to play to give absolutely everything they have for Kenny,the club and we fans, same as Saturday against Manure, if after we are still in both comps then fine we move on, but if we are dumped out of both then i would start planning for next season, and make the necessary changes,ok 5 changes at once may be too much to handle,but we Suarez coming back fairly soon,and i would build a side to accomodate him,

so i would bring in Coady, Sterling, and Morgan to start with, to replace Adam, Kuyt and Carroll, ease them in gently is the key, too much to soon can F**k them up, 20 mins here and there will allow easier transition,

Spearing if fit has to do the Lucas role, with Gerrard alongside, i'd have Shelvey instead of Hendo, he offers alot more imo,ie; he will tackle, in my opening post i mentioned Maxi,but if i'm honest i was a bit hasty, although he has to step up big for me, maybe Luis's abscence has had a real effect on him,

we have to do something because what Kenny and Clarkey have been trying to achieve was just sh*t on against Bolton, we were not playing particularly well anyway but Saturday's display was totally unacceptable,

i agree with Kenny in that if thats the players attitude,any player,then they can F**k right off,

the next few weeks will shape our season, i'd like to think a trip to Anfield South at least once is on the cards, and still in with a chance of CL football next season, if not, it's back to the drawing board for me, plan for next season and finish as high as possible.
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #35: Jan 23, 2012 10:54:43 pm
      And our problem is scoring goals, Morgan is the most natural finisher the club has at any level. He fits the bill as to what we need.
      That is an over simplification of the issue. Its like saying someone doesnt get laid because he are lousy in the sack. If you cant get a woman in bed, its irrelevant weather you are good or bad at sex per se. We stink in play construction (thats courting), we really do. Most of the "chances" we seem to be wasting this year are not clear cut ones, and im not saying there are no problems in the finishing.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #36: Jan 23, 2012 11:06:42 pm
      That is an over simplification of the issue. Its like saying someone doesnt get laid because he are lousy in the sack. If you cant get a woman in bed, its irrelevant weather you are good or bad at sex per se. We stink in play construction (thats courting), we really do. Most of the "chances" we seem to be wasting this year are not clear cut ones, and im not saying there are no problems in the finishing.
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #37: Jan 23, 2012 11:11:11 pm

Maybe it got lost in translation  :lmao: :lmao:
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,121 posts | 3370 
      Reply #38: Jan 24, 2012 12:28:24 am

No our problem is scoring, not creating.

For example - clear cut chances in games we've lost/drawn

Sunderland home - missed penalty
      Stoke away - Adam and Henderson missing sitters within seconds of each other, Suarez missing a sitter at the death of the game.
      Spurs away - got twatted.
      United home - Henderson header over the bar from about 6 yards out at the end of the game.
      Norwch home - Ruddy man of the match because we weren't clinical enough.
      Swansea home - Worm man of the match because we weren't clinical enough.
      Man City home - Hart man of the match because we weren't clinical enough.
      Fulham away - countless chances going amiss.
      Wigan away - missed penalty.
      Blackburn home - Carroll header at the very end.
      Man City away - Downing missing a sitter.
      Stoke home - possibly the worst performance at Anfield all season.
      Bolton away - didn't miss any clear chances, didn't create any.

Ultimately, in pretty much every game we've lost or drawn this season we've had more than enough chances to win the game. Our problem has been scoring, not creating.
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #39: Jan 24, 2012 12:56:29 am
      No our problem is scoring, not creating.

For example - clear cut chances in games we've lost/drawn

Sunderland home - missed penalty
      Stoke away - Adam and Henderson missing sitters within seconds of each other, Suarez missing a sitter at the death of the game.
      Spurs away - got twatted.
      United home - Henderson header over the bar from about 6 yards out at the end of the game.
      Norwch home - Ruddy man of the match because we weren't clinical enough.
      Swansea home - Worm man of the match because we weren't clinical enough.
      Man City home - Hart man of the match because we weren't clinical enough.
      Fulham away - countless chances going amiss.
      Wigan away - missed penalty.
      Blackburn home - Carroll header at the very end.
      Man City away - Downing missing a sitter.
      Stoke home - possibly the worst performance at Anfield all season.
      Bolton away - didn't miss any clear chances, didn't create any.

Ultimately, in pretty much every game we've lost or drawn this season we've had more than enough chances to win the game. Our problem has been scoring, not creating.
      Not enough clear chances. Top flight teams get almost double the chances (clear chances, not "he dribbled past 7 players and then missed a one on one vs the keeper)we do. No creation on midfield whatsoever puts extra pressure on the strikers, more specifically on Suarez who has to create 90% of what he shoots. If our striker needs to get down to the midfield to get the ball we are in deep sh*t.

Lets agree to disagree
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,192 posts | 165 
      Reply #40: Jan 24, 2012 05:05:12 am
      Not enough clear chances. Top flight teams get almost double the chances (clear chances, not "he dribbled past 7 players and then missed a one on one vs the keeper)we do. No creation on midfield whatsoever puts extra pressure on the strikers, more specifically on Suarez who has to create 90% of what he shoots. If our striker needs to get down to the midfield to get the ball we are in deep sh*t.

Lets agree to disagree

I agree with your post, we don't create clear chances. Our wingers are inefficient and our there won't be central midfielders in the box since Downing cannot dribble and cross in the box like he is supposed to do. Maxi or Bellamy however tend to cut inside. We still need wingers; as for strikers maybe Kenny wants the team to find form before signing. However everybody sees that Downing is not good enough, that or wingers are not good enough.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,192 posts | 165 
      Reply #41: Jan 24, 2012 05:08:54 am
      I'd go for two players who are available relatively young and cheap.

Krasic and Granero.

Say bye bye to Maxi and Kuyt.

Overall I think that would compliment our current lot.

Granero would offer some much needed stability and creativity in midfield.

Krasic would offer us some balance from the right hand side.

Krasic and Granero would be good for the price(s) being reported by the media. I really hope Kenny is preparing something, otherwise we can only dream of challenging for the title in 2-3 years. If we don't finish with 1/2 cups or top 4, our club will sink. We need to find form rapidly; how? maybe by playing well and winning or adding another Suarez to our team like last January.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #42: Jan 24, 2012 08:08:17 am

I totally agree with you Billy, also there is the countless times we've hit the woodwork that had it not just been for a bit more luck we'd have won games that we've drawn.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #43: Jan 24, 2012 08:28:41 am
      Joe Cole to be given a chance in Pre-Season and beginning of next season?

Slowly getting back to his best.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #44: Jan 24, 2012 09:18:39 am
      Joe Cole to be given a chance in Pre-Season and beginning of next season?

Slowly getting back to his best.

Joe "Alberto" Cole.. Every pre season?

Part of me would love to see Joe back and firing and think if he was fit he could do a great job behind the striker.

Can't see it though, think he has burnt his bridges here.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,640 posts | 3867 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #45: Jan 24, 2012 09:29:07 am
      Ha ha.
      Does sound like some Chef advise alright.
      So long as he doesn't start singing this:
      Chef's Chocolate Salty Balls Song

Quick Reply