Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 6th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P15 W8 D1 L6

Two Cups or the Champions League?

Read 9149 times
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Re: Two Cups or the Champions League?
      Reply #69: Jan 29, 2012 09:09:27 pm
      The Double any day! Imagine winning the FA Cup and Carling Cup! History made.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #70: Jan 29, 2012 09:22:39 pm
      The Double any day! Imagine winning the FA Cup and Carling Cup! History made.
      History repeated you mean !
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #71: Jan 29, 2012 09:27:53 pm
      Can't we have both? Why put a lid on the jar?

Best answer in the thread for me.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #72: Jan 29, 2012 09:32:25 pm
      Agree with you on that one Daz but then there wouldn't be this debate would there ?
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #73: Jan 29, 2012 10:51:20 pm
      4th place doesn't fill any cabinets
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #74: Jan 29, 2012 10:56:57 pm
      Trophies for me. Plus cup runs breed confidence which can help in the League games.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #75: Jan 29, 2012 11:14:45 pm
      4th place doesn't fill any cabinets

The Flip side to that is the FA Cup and League Cup does not exactly attract the kind of players we want to make the next step up, because they want to play in the Champions League.

I think we can do both we just have stay focused and start putting a good run of results together in the league as those above us most notably, Chelsea, Arsenal and Newcastle are in the habbit of dropping points too.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #76: Jan 29, 2012 11:32:44 pm
      I'm looking long term. The top 4 is getting harder and harder for everyone. Win the FA and the Carling Cup has to be good. Get top 4 too, even better. As for attracting top players. we cannot outbid Madrid, Barca, Citeh etc but look at Reina, Lucas, Alonso, Kuyt, Enrique, Aurelio, Dagger etc. These are top players. If our academy can bring through the next gen, we will be in very good shape. Get the stadium and the marketing right and we are definitely in shape for a period of sustained success. As long as we keep getting the type of managers LFC has always had (minus Souness and The Owl of course). H&G set us back badly, luckily before that we were in a good period with a fantastic manager. I mean we have to recover from Konchesky, Poulsen and THE OWL FFS
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,077 posts | 3357 
      Reply #77: Jan 30, 2012 12:05:41 am
      Just a quick question, but if we win the league cup but not the FA Cup, do you think we will we have a parade? 

Possibly mate, due to the fact that we haven't had a homecoming since 06 but I doubt we would. 06 wasn't even that good, the bus didn't travel round most of the city an where it was it just flew past.
      OoLiaaaaaMoO
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,813 posts | 11 
      • In King Kenny WE Trust!
      Reply #78: Jan 30, 2012 12:47:27 am
      Are you serious?
      macca8

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #79: Jan 30, 2012 12:50:36 am
      A champions league spot is one good present for me but it's still a long way to go. We got one silverware in beckoning and one more to claim, so silverware first all the way!
      wallbanger
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,181 posts |
      Reply #80: Jan 30, 2012 01:59:58 am
      Well definately two cups as it will inspire the team next year,easier to focus on two things not three.Getting to fourth is harder as other contenders can ruin your dream.
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #81: Jan 30, 2012 02:10:16 am
      2 Cups= Silverware won

4th place= the chance to win silverware next season
      TeslaPhysics
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 985 posts | 32 
      Reply #82: Jan 30, 2012 03:20:59 am
      could also say Two cups and 1 girl?
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #83: Jan 30, 2012 03:24:49 am
      I think it is quite scary when finishing in fourth place in the league is even ranked close to winning one trophy let alone two.

To me that is the main problem with the champions league. It should go to the winners only, then people would start to see fourth spot for what it really is - worse than third and marginally better than fifth.

Then the importance would be put back into these cup competitions, and it would make the champions league better as well, because I actually feel it is one of the more boring competitions about in its early stages. Too many games, too many seeding and too much protection for the seeded teams. They should F**k that off and just stick everyone in a big bowl and pull them out. Whoever you're drawn against you play in a 2 Legged knock out tie Win you're through, lose you're out! Better luck next year. As it stands now you have to be pretty sh*t (like Utd) to not get to the quarter finals, and we just see the same 6 or 7 teams in the quarters every year.

Rant over.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #84: Jan 30, 2012 05:29:01 am
      I think it is quite scary when finishing in fourth place in the league is even ranked close to winning one trophy let alone two.

To me that is the main problem with the champions league. It should go to the winners only, then people would start to see fourth spot for what it really is - worse than third and marginally better than fifth.

Then the importance would be put back into these cup competitions, and it would make the champions league better as well, because I actually feel it is one of the more boring competitions about in its early stages. Too many games, too many seeding and too much protection for the seeded teams. They should f**k that off and just stick everyone in a big bowl and pull them out. Whoever you're drawn against you play in a 2 Legged knock out tie Win you're through, lose you're out! Better luck next year. As it stands now you have to be pretty sh*t (like Utd) to not get to the quarter finals, and we just see the same 6 or 7 teams in the quarters every year.

Rant over.
      Well said FOAR. I've said exactly the same many a time on this forum !
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #85: Jan 30, 2012 07:49:01 am
      Can't we have both? Why put a lid on the jar?

The 'lid' is 'on the jar' because the question in the O.P. asked: One or the other? If it asked the question 'would you like both?', the thread would have been pretty sh*t.

The Flip side to that is the FA Cup and League Cup does not exactly attract the kind of players we want to make the next step up...

I get what you're saying mate but what do you see as the "next step up" Daz? I'm assuming the 'next step' is winning the league and the European Cup rather than just competing.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #86: Jan 30, 2012 07:59:21 am
      If players only want to come here for the Champions League then that isn't the attitude we need, having said that of course we have to offer players something for players to want to join us.

We would have won 2 out of the 3 trophies we were taking part in. That shows that we are competitive and players can be successful here.

We will automatically be in Europe from our victory in the League Cup.

We are Liverpool Football Club, the most successful club in England, who have just been even more successful.

If we win two trophies, or even the Carling Cup/Fa Cup on it's own, we would be able to attract players in my opinion.

Anyway, at the end of the day there is no point attracting big name players and finishing top 4 every season if nothing comes off the back of it.  If we win the FA Cup and Carling Cup for the next 5 seasons, I'd say we were doing better than if we finished top 4 for as long.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #87: Jan 30, 2012 08:18:39 am
      Anyway, at the end of the day there is no point attracting big name players and finishing top 4 every season if nothing comes off the back of it.  If we win the FA Cup and Carling Cup for the next 5 seasons, I'd say we were doing better than if we finished top 4 for as long.

This.

Anyways, winning the a cup or two could build the confidence needed to be consistent to eventually get us European football and quite possible League title in the future.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #88: Jan 30, 2012 08:23:13 am
      I get what you're saying mate but what do you see as the "next step up" Daz? I'm assuming the 'next step' is winning the league and the European Cup rather than just competing.

Yes Mate I want the league more than anything, but to do that I think we have to finish in the top 4 to help attract the kind of players we need to make that step.

So whilst I get the Jiist of the thread and would love both cups, but top4 is far more important in terms of progression and reaching our ultimate goal in my humble opinion.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #89: Jan 30, 2012 08:31:57 am

Letting your heart over rule your head there mate, would you be happy finishing sixth or seventh for the next 5 years as long as we won a few cups ?

No you wouldn't as the ultimate prize is the premier league & champions league and competing for both trophies and the calibre of players they attract.

Go in the transfer board and you'll see just about everybody, including yourself putting out names for potential transfers and I'd say the massive majority of names put forward would want champions league football & if it came down to an offer from United, Chelsea or City or us regardless of our history or the fact that we'd just a won a League cup and FA cup the vast majority would chose the Champions League on offer, thats how football is these days.

Next you'll be telling me you'd swap the Final in Athens for a FA cup or our second place finished in 2008-09 for a league cup.

Liverpool owner John W Henry has challenged manager Kenny ... It will be a disaster not just a disappointment if we failed to qualify to CL.

Even John Henry understands a club of our stature needs to be in the Champions League.

Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #90: Jan 30, 2012 08:53:43 am
      In all this discussion i feel I must a different slant on things,in 1965 we finished 7th in the old 1st division but we won the F.A.Cup for the first time in our history.Now at the time I do not think there would of been one RED who would of changed winning the Cup for winning the league that season.The whole town was electric when Shanks and the lads brought the cup home and with the Inter Milan game a few days later I do not think the town had ever known so much atmosphere.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,953 posts | 5012 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #91: Jan 30, 2012 09:34:37 am
      It has to be domestic trophies everytime for me, and i include the Premiership, the very fact we are already in our first final since '06' shows the progression we have made thus far,

we still have a chance of the FA cup,and we are most definately still in the race for a CL spot, we may indeed end up with F**k all, we may end up with both cups and a CL spot, but look at where we are FF's, WE are in a final,

it's one step at a time, it will not be a disaster if we dont get Champions league, frustrating maybe, but not a disaster, the cups tho show that LFC as a institution are very much on the march back to where we belong, and the very prestige we have aswell as having the King at the helm is a massive pull for players to come and work at Anfield,

the Champions league will happen,that i have no doubt, but i would rather we qualify as 'Champions' of our own domestic league instead of thru the side or back doors, or indeed 4th, don't get me wrong it would be fantastic if we were to get there this season, and we would be ready because FSG would stump up the funds to make sure we did,

but for me cups are far more important than finishing 4th behind other clubs that we historically have been head and shoulders above until the concept of premiership football in 1993,

our history stretches decades before then,and some fans would and should do well to remember LFC prior to 1993.

IKWT       YNWA

Quick Reply