Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 26th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P10 W7 D0 L3

Two Cups or the Champions League?

Read 9188 times
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Re: Two Cups or the Champions League?
      Reply #46: Jan 29, 2012 12:10:19 pm
      Trophies everytime for me. 

It's only loser's that think finishing top 4 is more important.  It's their way of justifying never winning anything  ;)

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #47: Jan 29, 2012 12:17:19 pm
      The Cup(s).

Thats what  History is based on.

Whether devalued or not  I always remember as a kid watching the FA Cup Final in May on a sunny afternoon.
      Using one brain cell left I can start with Spurs and Burnley and work forwards.

May 1st 1965 is indelibly marked in my memory.

Trophies (where I was .... what I was doing) is part of the  story of my life.

So Yes.    Cups.

After where we have been there is no better way of washing Hicks / Gillett / Hodgson all away finally by Stevie lifting a trophy leading a team manged by Kenny.

Its what we have all dreamed of.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #48: Jan 29, 2012 12:46:42 pm
      Ok so the title thread makes me think 2 girls 1 cup.  >:D

I'd take the trophy's everytime but I'm not going to down play the importance of top 4 as some are doing.

Top 4 is not a failure for the natural progression of this club.

Majority of the top players want to show case their talents in the Champions League.

To sign the Top Players to compete for League titles you need to be in the Champions League.

So I'm going to be greedy and say F**k the choice I want both.

I'll take the cups to add to our already impressive cabinet and I'll take top 4 because the club needs to be in the top 4 and its not a failure to finish there.

Some are right in saying you'll not be remembered for finishing top 4 in the history books, but thats an extremely myopic view and they are wrong if they think the top players won't remember if we finished in the top 4 in the present.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #49: Jan 29, 2012 01:01:57 pm
      So I'm going to be greedy and say F**k the choice I want both.

>:D Gun to your head mate... forget diplomatic or evasive answers: Would you swap the League & F.A. Cups for fourth -  yeah or nay?
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #50: Jan 29, 2012 01:12:14 pm
      >:D Gun to your head mate... forget diplomatic or evasive answers: Would you swap the League & F.A. Cups for fourth -  yeah or nay?

Gun to the head.

Cups give you instant gratification and a silverware in the cabinet.

Top 4 gives us the chance to progress and become a much better team and has longer term benefits.

Clubs like Portsmouth have won the FA cup and clubs like Brimingham City & Boro have won the league cup in recent history and where are they now ?

So for instant gratification and the history books then the Cups are a no brainer.

But for the immdeiate progression of the club then Champions League is a no brainer.

Personally I'd like all 3, but if I had to make a choice, then I'd go against the grain and take top4 because that is far more important in attracting the type of players we need to take us to the next level and is more beneficial to the club.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,426 posts | 6420 
      Reply #51: Jan 29, 2012 01:21:14 pm
      See no reason not to desire all three. If we are playing good enough to make top 4 I would think at least one cup (maybe both) would fall into place on their own.
      Suarez-7
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,046 posts | 12 
      Reply #52: Jan 29, 2012 01:26:15 pm
      2 cups and 4th place would be our very own treble.

2 cups is a genuine possibilty if we keep drawing teams at home where we're invincable, but 4th place is too far .

We lost 4th place after the 0-0 draw against Swansea in my eyes.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,607 posts | 1814 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #53: Jan 29, 2012 01:48:22 pm
      If it was a choice which it is'nt, Id take silverware any day. ffs. its such a stupid question, does my heed in.

4th is still within reach, esp. with the confidence cup wuns give, I can see us finishing the season really well. And doing a cup double and being 4th (at least)
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #54: Jan 29, 2012 02:29:04 pm
      Cups everytime. You get money and european spots for winning the cups anyway
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #55: Jan 29, 2012 02:34:28 pm
      Cups everytime. You get money and european spots for winning the cups anyway

But it doesn't give you Champions League, though.

I think by winning cups, the players will gain that belief than they can achieve success more than they can get just by qualifying for Europe.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #56: Jan 29, 2012 03:17:14 pm
      Clubs like Portsmouth have won the FA cup and clubs like Brimingham City & Boro have won the league cup in recent history and where are they now ?

C'mon Bud, you're better than that.   ;D

Portsmouth? One of only two teams (blueshite the other) outside of Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal, Man U, Chelsea and City to have won the F.A. Cup since 1980/81 FFS... a right 'top four' feel about dominance in the F.A. Cup.

Birmingham City & Boro? In the past ten seasons Man U have won the League Cup three times, Chelsea twice, Liverpool twice and Spurs once... again a competition in which 'top four' teams dominate.

The fact is 'top four' teams win trophies and if you want an indicator of what level we're at... look no further.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #57: Jan 29, 2012 03:23:30 pm
      I'd probably say the two Cup's.

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #58: Jan 29, 2012 03:27:06 pm
      If it was a choice which it is'nt, Id take silverware any day. ffs. its such a stupid question, does my heed in.

4th is still within reach, esp. with the confidence cup wuns give, I can see us finishing the season really well. And doing a cup double and being 4th (at least)

It's not a stupid question for F**k sake. No one is saying 'since you have that you can't have this'. It's just a matter of importance isn't it. Really isn't that hard to understand.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,135 posts | 3379 
      Reply #59: Jan 29, 2012 08:16:21 pm
      Two cups.

I want another homecoming like 05 when St George's was F***ing rocking right through the night, even when we told that the coach wouldn't arrive for another two hours we were still there singing. Possibly the greatest night of me life, even better than Istanbul itself because I could enjoy every minute of it. 06 homecoming wasn't as good as the bus just flew up Queen's Drive - Cardiff was great to be at though. Same in 01 with the treble when the coach just flew up the Dock Road then up Parli.

In all me time as a Liverpool supporter, I've never seen us have a homecoming for fourth.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #60: Jan 29, 2012 08:24:52 pm
      Just a quick question, but if we win the league cup but not the FA Cup, do you think we will we have a parade? 
      HoyaRed
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 629 posts | 26 
      • YNWA
      Reply #61: Jan 29, 2012 08:27:13 pm
      Silverware, silverware, and silverware, I'd take that over 4th spot everyday of the F***ing week.

Our team will benefit hugely from winning any kind of silverware.

It'll make them wanting more, giving them that winning mentality that's missing from the team.

tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,285 posts | 935 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #62: Jan 29, 2012 08:35:15 pm
      4th place for me
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #63: Jan 29, 2012 08:37:35 pm
      C'mon Bud, you're better than that.   ;D

I just think that being the Champions League is more beneficial for our long term ambitions mate, can you say many top players wanting to leave their clubs to join the League Cup or FA Cup winners with no Champions League on offer ?

We've been out of it for two seasons now, the longer that goes on from a players perspective the longer it looks like it will take to get back there.

I'd love the trophy's don't get me wrong, but I'd also love us to be in the top 4 competing in the Champions League and attracting the best players possible to help us in our pursuit of silverware.

frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #64: Jan 29, 2012 08:39:49 pm
      Didn't Shanks once say 1st is everything 2nd is nowhere ? let alone 4th !
      HampshireRed
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 702 posts |
      • If I'm not back in 15 minutes.....wait longer
      Reply #65: Jan 29, 2012 08:41:40 pm
      Can't we have both? Why put a lid on the jar?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6977 
      Reply #66: Jan 29, 2012 08:41:51 pm
      I'm not 100% sure we are 'ready' for the Champions League yet.

Look at how Spurs fumbled in the League last year and how improved they are this time around without it.

No reason we can't end up above Arsenal and Chelsea and progress in both cups - however winning two cups and getting European football would, on the face of the last 5 seasons, be a massive success.  Whether we get the '3rd runner up prize' in the League is not the biggest issue for me.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #67: Jan 29, 2012 08:54:47 pm
      Didn't Shanks once say 1st is everything 2nd is nowhere ? let alone 4th !

Football wasn't then what it is now mate.

Shanks said that when one team the champions qualified for the European Cup and over sea's transfers were rarely heard of.

Nowadays all the top players want to play in the Champions League with one or two exceptions.

I'm not 100% sure we are 'ready' for the Champions League yet.

Look at how Spurs fumbled in the League last year and how improved they are this time around without it.

I don't think were that far away from ready for it to be honest JD were maybe two or three players short which could be rectified in the summer, we have shown during teh season we are more than a match for the top 4 teams in England with the exception of Spurs (which I think we'll give a better showing against this time around) when we turn it on, add three or four quality additions to our squad then we'd be more than ready for Champions League football in my opinion.

With the upheavel Rafa made when first came here a few players out and a few players in, who'd have thought we'd have been ready for teh Champions League then ?... But we went on and won it.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #68: Jan 29, 2012 09:02:43 pm
      Football wasn't then what it is now mate.

Shanks said that when one team the champions qualified for the European Cup and over sea's transfers were rarely heard of.

Nowadays all the top players want to play in the Champions League with one or two exceptions.
      I know what your saying Daz but since we last won the League I'd sooner have taken 20 domestic cup wins than finish 2nd to the scum/Chavs/Arse !

Quick Reply