Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W5 D1 L1

Liverpool To Address Midfield Issue

Read 12305 times
      Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Re: Liverpool To Address Midfield Issue
      Reply #46: Feb 28, 2012 06:42:04 pm
      Not to piss on the Hazard bonfire, but didn't he do an interview a few weeks ago stating he would be willing to join any of the Top 6 teams in England, but conveniently forgot to miss Liverpool off his list as he was reciting the names of every top club in the country?
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #47: Feb 28, 2012 06:43:18 pm
      No Eden.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #48: Feb 28, 2012 06:47:51 pm
      I think we would all love players of his standard at the club.. I won't be getting carried away though until he is putting pen to paper..

corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #49: Feb 28, 2012 06:50:44 pm
      We should remember who we are Hazard has talked about going to Spurs so defo realistic he comes to us.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,497 posts | 2868 
      Reply #50: Feb 28, 2012 06:59:57 pm
      Not seen enough of Hazard to be honest.

Martinez looks a good player, but yet again not seen that much of him. Mainly Barca and Real on Sky usually although I watched Bilbao the other week and Martinez played well.

Think we can all agree that we need to improve our midfield (centrally and on the wings too) to have a shot at the title.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,328 posts | 773 
      Reply #51: Feb 28, 2012 07:04:21 pm
      I think in the future we will need to replace Adam in midfield, if we are realistically going to challenge for the Premier League.
      soxfan
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,478 posts | 59 
      Reply #52: Feb 28, 2012 07:24:35 pm
      I think in the future we will need to replace Adam in midfield, if we are realistically going to challenge for the Premier League.
      I'm completely guessing here, but I think one of Shelvey or Henderson were hoped to be Gerrard's eventual replacement in a few years. And Adam was merely hoped to be Gerrard's capable backup in the shortterm. If that is Adam's role next year when Lucas is back, I'm ok with that.

But somewhere in midfield we need one more really solid player added to the mix (someone better than Henderson or Adam are right now).  The safe move is to get someone for Lucas' role as we want to ease him back in carefully. Someone better than the wee man (who I like but he's not quite the level we need).
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #53: Feb 28, 2012 07:26:34 pm
      Martinez was linked to us many times under Rafa
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #54: Feb 28, 2012 07:38:23 pm
      Said for a long time now I've a feeling about Hazard, things just seem to be playing along with my gut instinct that he'll be heading our way. Could of course be wrong and I have absolutely no inside information other than reading between the lines of the protracted saga there and his many press releases about his obvious move somewhere in the summer.

As for Javi Martinez, no idea, wouldn't say no though. Glad to be linked with top class talent again though that is for sure, let's secure 4th spot and bring in a top drawer striker too and I'm sure we'll all be happy.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,328 posts | 773 
      Reply #55: Feb 28, 2012 07:42:43 pm
      I'm completely guessing here, but I think one of Shelvey or Henderson were hoped to be Gerrard's eventual replacement in a few years. And Adam was merely hoped to be Gerrard's capable backup in the shortterm. If that is Adam's role next year when Lucas is back, I'm ok with that.

But somewhere in midfield we need one more really solid player added to the mix (someone better than Henderson or Adam are right now).  The safe move is to get someone for Lucas' role as we want to ease him back in carefully. Someone better than the wee man (who I like but he's not quite the level we need).
      I would certainly like to see more of Shelvey in the side, seems to have returned a much improved player since his loan spell at Blackpool.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #56: Feb 28, 2012 07:44:44 pm

No silly... Jermain... no wait that's Defo or is it Defoe?

No it's defo Defoe.  :dunceblock:

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,347 posts | 4967 
      Reply #57: Feb 28, 2012 07:52:37 pm
      All quality players although I haven't seen too much of Hazard and would be welcome additions to the squad.

I always believe in strengthening the side in all positions and fully expect a fair few signings in the summer particularly in the midfield and forward positions.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #58: Feb 28, 2012 08:00:57 pm
      Martinez was heavily linked to us as a replacement for Xabi at the time, we plumped for Aquilani probably due to the repayments schedule which Hicks and Gillette wanted to use so they could use most of the 30 million to pay off the interest repayments
      YNWABairn
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      • Anti Modern Football
      Reply #59: Feb 28, 2012 08:33:19 pm
      Hazard would be an absoloutely fantastic signing.
      harrydunn08

• 5,930 posts | 970 
      Reply #60: Feb 28, 2012 08:36:06 pm
      May as well open up a Summer Transfer Board.  Otherwise these threads will take over the Kop board in the coming months....
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,289 posts | 937 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #61: Feb 28, 2012 08:36:06 pm
      It is reported that Liverpool are lining up moves for Athletico Bilbao midfielder Javi Martinez, Barcelona's Mali midfielder Seydo Keita
      and Lille playmaker Eden Hazard.
      Liverpool will also watch FC Basil midfielder Granit Xhaka in action this week, after director of football Damien Comolli received glowing reports on the 19 year old starlet.

Well there's no smoke without fire and our midfield appears to be a priority.
      Great ..if true hope this is going to happen but i have a feeling.....
      Big Andy
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 786 posts |
      • 18 soon to be 19
      Reply #62: Feb 28, 2012 08:40:41 pm
      I don't know why we need another CM all year we have been playing 4 4 2 and we have two of the best mid fielders in the world Lucas Gerrard i know about injuries but that's where Henderson and Adam come in. Dont tell me Adam and Henderson are not great squad players. Especially Henderson as a player for the future. If we were to sign anyone in the middle i would want someone over 30+. I bit like Bellers, someone who doesn't want to play every game and very good.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #63: Feb 28, 2012 09:04:56 pm
      I don't know why we need another CM all year we have been playing 4 4 2 and we have two of the best mid fielders in the world Lucas Gerrard i know about injuries but that's where Henderson and Adam come in. Dont tell me Adam and Henderson are not great squad players. Especially Henderson as a player for the future. If we were to sign anyone in the middle i would want someone over 30+. I bit like Bellers, someone who doesn't want to play every game and very good.
      I disagree mate, Henderson may well come good, but Midfield is too important to have an ineffective player taking up a place in the team, at the minute Henderson is a bit of a headless chicken, plenty of effort, but no real impact. Lucas has been one of my favs since he came here, but we don't know what he'll be like after his injury.
      Signing a world class CM will create more compitition for places and make Henderson and others raise their game.
      emsy28
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 545 posts | 12 
      Reply #64: Feb 28, 2012 09:07:02 pm
      Think we need another defensive midfielder in the squad, but more than anything i think we need top creative midfielder. Weather I'ts a winger or a player between striker and midfield. Someone who can brake defenses down at home.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #65: Feb 28, 2012 09:09:43 pm
      We clearly need a centre midfielder. I absolutely hate the flat 4-4-2 we have used in games this season.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 36,042 posts | 3967 
      Reply #66: Feb 28, 2012 09:17:15 pm
      Great ..if true hope this is going to happen but i have a feeling.....
      If we get half mate I'll be well happy.
      stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      • 'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Live
      Reply #67: Feb 28, 2012 09:18:44 pm
      http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/7554121/

Keita Seems interested in coming to us in the summer,I think he will be 33 then,So going on the owners principles cant see it happening,Hazard is a must for the midfield and Javi Martinez would be another great option.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #68: Feb 28, 2012 09:53:31 pm
      I personally think those names linked to us is just paper talk. The club will have identified targets for the Summer transfer window but not want them to be known publicly.

I take heart from this statement by Comolli regarding signings: "We already know there are big players who want to join us because they believe in the project and what Kenny and the club are trying to do."

Having said that, Hazard would be a great signing, as would Martinez.

Quick Reply