Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 9th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P11 W6 D4 L1

Liverpool To Address Midfield Issue

Read 12223 times
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Re: Liverpool To Address Midfield Issue
      Reply #69: Feb 28, 2012 10:03:54 pm
      http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/7554121/

Keita Seems interested in coming to us in the summer,I think he will be 33 then,So going on the owners principles cant see it happening,Hazard is a must for the midfield and Javi Martinez would be another great option.

Disagree on Keita, it does not go against the owners principals it depends on the contract itself, a 2 year deal a reasonable wages and transfer fee would not stop it from happening. A 5 year deal at high wages however would stop it dead in it's tracks. This whole moneyball idea does not discount the possibility of older players it just prevents making long term commitments @ unreasonable wages.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 36,023 posts | 3957 
      Reply #70: Feb 28, 2012 10:44:04 pm
      Disagree on Keita, it does not go against the owners principals it depends on the contract itself, a 2 year deal a reasonable wages and transfer fee would not stop it from happening. A 5 year deal at high wages however would stop it dead in it's tracks. This whole moneyball idea does not discount the possibility of older players it just prevents making long term commitments @ unreasonable wages.
      I could be swayed by your comment Erik if I hadn't been totally convinced of the ageist views of the owners concerning their concept of the side in the long term. They are apparently at ease with the age issue of our existing players but are unwilling to sign players of a certain age. 
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,624 posts | 3856 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #71: Feb 28, 2012 10:52:59 pm
      Explain Bellamy though.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 36,023 posts | 3957 
      Reply #72: Feb 28, 2012 11:39:00 pm
      Money (the saving of).
      Seriously mate you know as I do Kenny was fully aware of his qualities and skill, not forgetting of course the man's love for the club, in the short term Craig was too good to turn down.   
      « Last Edit: Feb 28, 2012 11:53:51 pm by stuey »
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #73: Feb 28, 2012 11:43:49 pm
      The best deal we got in a while.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #74: Feb 29, 2012 12:10:19 am
      I could be swayed by your comment Erik if I hadn't been totally convinced of the ageist views of the owners concerning their concept of the side in the long term. They are apparently at ease with the age issue of our existing players but are unwilling to sign players of a certain age. 

Well they have done it numerous times with the club here in Boston Stu. It's all about the price and length of the commitment.

They are not going to pay a 20+ million transfer fee and give a 5 year 120k/week contract to a 30 year old.

Could not see an issue on a 5 million transfer fee and 50-90k a week 2 year contract being an issue.

While that 30 year old may not be a long term answer he sure could fill a short term void. As you mention Bellers I think in hindsight if you asked the owners if he was worth a 5M transfer fee would they have still done it the answer you would get is yes, in a heartbeat.

This moneyball concept only goes so far, and honestly the idea of moneyball has nothing to do with age but finding value within a position relative to peers.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #75: Feb 29, 2012 01:04:58 am
      Makes sense, AZPatriot.

Maybe it's not that they don't want to sign players over a certain age but they'd just prefer to tie younger players to longer contracts.

A lenghty contract to the likes of Suarez, Carroll, Henderson and such but if they were to bring in a player on the wrong side of 25, they'd at most, give him a short contract if they see him doing the job Kenny wants.

Anyways, I'd be happy to see Hazard and Martinez here. ..
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #76: Feb 29, 2012 01:05:17 am
      This so called "money-ball " strategey,would only fit as a long term strategy.This club needs to be in the Champions league,the season after next,without fail.Our Owners and Manager,are geared up for this.I personally believe,that our next summer signings,will help us achieve this.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #77: Feb 29, 2012 01:30:57 am
      Makes sense, AZPatriot.

Maybe it's not that they don't want to sign players over a certain age but they'd just prefer to tie younger players to longer contracts.

A lenghty contract to the likes of Suarez, Carroll, Henderson and such but if they were to bring in a player on the wrong side of 25, they'd at most, give him a short contract if they see him doing the job Kenny wants.

Anyways, I'd be happy to see Hazard and Martinez here. ..

Hammer, Nail and Head Adryan
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,113 posts | 3367 
      Reply #78: Feb 29, 2012 01:55:27 am
      Yippeeeeeeeeeeeee, more transfer rumours. God I've missed them. Quick someone hose me down with cold water before I get overly excited and wet me kecks. Maybe tomorrow I can wake up and read we're back in the race for Carlton Cole or maybe we've been linked with some 10 year old Bolivian that the usual suspects know all about because they watch every single u-11s Bolivian League game.

Second thoughts, I don't think I will get excited. Instead I'll do what I usually do which is as follows: sit and wait until a new player is on the Anfield turf with Kenny Dalglish and a scarf above his head. Until then, I'm leaving this thread.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #79: Feb 29, 2012 02:14:13 am
      interesting to think what our midfield stocks could look like next season. if we add someone of first XI quality, shelvey will have to go on a season long loan, hopefully in the premiership. i can't see him getting the minutes if this is the case. spearing, well if we bring someone who can defend in then with a fit lucas and the new player spearing will have to be content with being a squad player. he may be fine with that or may like to play regular football, again he could play for a premiership club surely. i'm not sure which way it will go for spearo.. he isn't 24 yet and there's room for improvement like we saw with lucas, but he may also be on his way at the end of the season.. i don't think that's as likely as him being a squad player, but who knows.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 36,023 posts | 3957 
      Reply #80: Feb 29, 2012 07:58:10 am
      Well they have done it numerous times with the club here in Boston Stu. It's all about the price and length of the commitment.

They are not going to pay a 20+ million transfer fee and give a 5 year 120k/week contract to a 30 year old.

Could not see an issue on a 5 million transfer fee and 50-90k a week 2 year contract being an issue.

While that 30 year old may not be a long term answer he sure could fill a short term void.

This moneyball concept only goes so far, and honestly the idea of moneyball has nothing to do with age but finding value within a position relative to peers.
      Which is exactly the situation I was talking about mate, when I referred to an "ageist" policy and "signing players of a certain age on a long term contract.
      Of course there are exceptions, a scenario such as this is faulted if inflexible but financially and practically any candidates in the 30 ish scheme of things will require a more prudent approach     
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,961 posts | 5018 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #81: Feb 29, 2012 08:32:27 am
      Yippeeeeeeeeeeeee, more transfer rumours. God I've missed them. Quick someone hose me down with cold water before I get overly excited and wet me kecks. Maybe tomorrow I can wake up and read we're back in the race for Carlton Cole or maybe we've been linked with some 10 year old Bolivian that the usual suspects know all about because they watch every single u-11s Bolivian League game.

Second thoughts, I don't think I will get excited. Instead I'll do what I usually do which is as follows: sit and wait until a new player is on the Anfield turf with Kenny Dalglish and a scarf above his head. Until then, I'm leaving this thread.

Be careful Billy,(Kate), your cynicism may offend,and remember, you are being Watched !  :f_whistle:  ;D
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 36,023 posts | 3957 
      Reply #82: Feb 29, 2012 08:36:05 am

Know what you're saying Billy about targets, rumour, suggestion and the word unconfirmed, there is a world of difference between these terms and Kenny's handshake.
      As a general rule hysteria and speculation are a no no, but when realism rears it's ugly face a statement of intent is a welcome ingredient, albeit by an individual that can affect the ugly face spoken of - Damien Comolli fits that description and his comments about 'new signings' do seem to carry more weight than the hysterical media clamour.
      This thread was started on the back of our midfield situation which some see as a cause for concern and Comolli's statement so soon after the event - that would suggest that he is of the same opinion.
      There might be just a bit more meat on the rumour bone mate with this one.
      Be careful Billy,(Kate), your cynicism may offend,and remember, you are being Watched !  :f_whistle:  ;D
      Everyone watches him, you don't see the f**ker for ages and he pops up where you least expect it and then he's gone -  shadey comes to mind.  ;D
      Carlos Qiqabal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,119 posts | 56 
      Reply #83: Feb 29, 2012 01:59:48 pm
      I'm personally wary about Hazard and still think he has lots to prove. Yes he looks fantastic but he's doing in a league that Joe Cole is tearing up right now. Thinks stronger, pacier defenders may make things more difficult for Hazard than people are anticipating.

I still think he's worth a shot but wouldn't be tempted to pay more than 20 million for him.

Martinez is a must if we can get him.
      « Last Edit: Feb 29, 2012 02:11:46 pm by Carlos Qiqabal »
      Shemy
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 591 posts |
      Reply #84: Feb 29, 2012 03:26:18 pm
      Lucas+Javi Martinez would be a fvkn dream, I believe though that Real Madrid are tracking him (Javi)
      vitez
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,701 posts | 156 
      Reply #85: Feb 29, 2012 04:03:06 pm
      What this thread needs are some Youtube videos...

Disagree strongly.  I think it's far more important to draw a potential starting XI with both new 'recruits' in the team.  Then we know sh*t's real and we've got a legit transfer thread on our hands.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #86: Feb 29, 2012 04:12:07 pm
      Know what you're saying Billy about targets, rumour, suggestion and the word unconfirmed, there is a world of difference between these terms and Kenny's handshake.
      As a general rule hysteria and speculation are a no no, but when realism rears it's ugly face a statement of intent is a welcome ingredient, albeit by an individual that can affect the ugly face spoken of - Damien Comolli fits that description and his comments about 'new signings' do seem to carry more weight than the hysterical media clamour.
      This thread was started on the back of our midfield situation which some see as a cause for concern and Comolli's statement so soon after the event - that would suggest that he is of the same opinion.

The problem is Stu that Comolli hasn't named any players and I really doubt he will. The papers just take his comments and add a few "hot properties" to sell papers. I really hope players of this caliber are on his list, but at best this is rumour based on where the media see our interests might lie, at worst the usual crap dreamed up to make a comment on our ability to attract better players now we are back in Europe, into a wankfest of the top players we might attract.

Personally my first priority in the summer would be for a clinical striker, as it has been lack of goals not lack of chances created that have cost us this season imo. Sadly I don't see Suarez and Carroll ever getting the 40 or so goals a season we need, and while both will play a large part in our future a third striker is our first priority imo.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,624 posts | 3856 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #87: Feb 29, 2012 05:08:50 pm
      Disagree strongly.  I think it's far more important to draw a potential starting XI with both new 'recruits' in the team.  Then we know sh*t's real and we've got a legit transfer thread on our hands.

Done!
      As a bonus I've even thrown in who I think we should have on the other wing,
      just to somehow make myself look like I know what I'm doing...

PepeReina25
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,400 posts |
      Reply #88: Feb 29, 2012 06:48:40 pm
      Done!
      As a bonus I've even thrown in who I think we should have on the other wing,
      just to somehow make myself look like I know what I'm doing...

Might as well go all out and add in all our realistic transfer targets in the summer Racer  :D

Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #89: Feb 29, 2012 06:50:42 pm
       Message to Kenny Dalglish,there is no need to worry about racer getting your job :laugh: Not a bad try though racer.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,624 posts | 3856 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #90: Mar 01, 2012 09:48:06 am
      Might as well go all out and add in all our realistic transfer targets in the summer Racer  :D

Stoke would have that team all winter.
      liverpaulhowes
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 67 posts |
      Reply #91: Mar 01, 2012 09:53:21 am
      It needs adressing, we need both more flair, pace and grit.

Quick Reply