Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 11th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P18 W9 D6 L3

British Players/Foreign players. Must it be one or the other?

Read 4290 times
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      British Players/Foreign players. Must it be one or the other?
      Mar 25, 2012 10:08:12 am
       Lets open up with a bit of total honesty here, a surely beyond dispute fact. Our big Summer signings have been bitterly disappointing so far. Give or take the odd million quid, they were Carroll at 35 million, Downing at 20 million and Henderson at 16 million. I'm certainly not going to dispute that we could have got better for the money, only a fool would do that and I aren't one of those. Nor am I going to dispute that Mata is a better player than Downing, or that Ramires is a better player than Henderson, or that Robin Van Persie is a better player than Carroll. Is it the case though that only fools buy British as some on here would suggest? I'm not so sure it is. Nor of course am I saying that we shouldn't buy from abroad either, that would be ridiculous. My point is that British transfers are only the same as any other transfers, you've just got to make sure you buy the right players in the first place.

For example. As already stated Mata is a better player than Downing, anyone can see that. That said, so is Ashley Young. The Mancs paid 4 million quid less than we paid the same club for Downing, had we signed one and not the other would we be better off? Of course we would. Was Ashley Young a bad buy at 16 million quid? Of course he wsn't. Similarly, was Phil Jones a bad buy at 16 million quid? Of course he wasn't (and lets not forget we tried to buy him too). Was Gary Cahill a bad buy at 7 million quid? Of course he wasn't.

My point is essentially that oft' stated generalisation on here that buying British is silly, (which is then used as a stick to beat Kenny with) isn't true. Look at the Manc team for example. Rio Ferdinand was a big money purchase from these shores, as was Carrick, Valencia, Rooney etc etc. In the past they bought the likes of Keane and Ince and Pallister and Bruce and Sheringham, so clearly their policy has included buying British AS WELL AS  foreign.

Quite simply where players come from doesn't matter, they just have to be good players who can handle the Premiership. Buying ALL foreign probably isn't the answer, and buying ALL British isn't the answer either. Buying good players is the answer, it's really as simple as that.

It then follows that this Summer we must either buy better players, or some of the players we have bought need to start playing much better. Or both.
      leeboy30
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,409 posts | 64 
      Re: British Players/Foreign players. Must it be one or the other?
      Reply #1: Mar 25, 2012 10:44:41 am
      The biggest problem for me is forgetting nationality for a moment our goal was to buy quality, PL experience and good fitness records with our summer signings.

The fact is adam, downing, carroll, enrique have all been relegated in the last few seasons. Bellamy was playing in the championship last year. Hendo was playing for a mid table team.

We've gotten what weve paid for. Weve got mid table players who aspire to more but havent been able to achieve it. The main problem is we've paid world class money for some of these.

Now we are in 7th barely and people are questioning the signings. They are doing as they always do. 'Moneyball' has let us down bigtime when common sense could tell you 80m on 4 british relegated/mid table players with no pace who arent THAT young was a big gamble. However 80m on 3-4 of europes best prospects sounds like a good idea without even mentioning names. It doesnt have to be about nationality but the players we bought are average professionals mid 20's with some room for improvement. We could have bought spanish or italian versions of these signings (riera, dossena etc).

Again the big problem is that we spent world class figures on average workman type players. When rafa bought these players they were 6-10m types.Weve gotten exactly what we overpayed for.

IF NESV can afford to drop 50m every year then we can move on swiftly and learn from our mistakes.. if not then i dont see how we can challenge the top teams without a miracle of youth coming through combined with a top manager (maybe like Rafa) turning us into a tight pressing compact side punching above our weight. 
      Big Andy
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 786 posts |
      • 18 soon to be 19
      Reply #2: Mar 25, 2012 10:51:56 am
      Good post Mick. Mata is a better player then Downing. Would Mata come to a team like us hell no. Im sick of people saying we should of got Mata for 20m. We just didnt have what they wanted and we got the type of players that we deserve.
      Also why do people say the players we have got has been a waste of money. There liverpool careers are not done. Its a waste of money once we sell them for 2m and they havent given anything in return.
      sh*t im grumpy.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #3: Mar 25, 2012 11:06:46 am
      As long as they are quality, sign them.

I actually see the point in signing Adam, Henderson, Downing and Carroll back in 2011. Adam, Downing and Henderson were one of the few who were top in the assist chart. They were meant to supply the ammunition but haven't done so. Downing is a seasoned Premier League player and I have to admit I've always liked him but again, it just looks like it isn't working out. Henderson and Carroll, I can see the sense in signing homegrown youngsters with potential. Yeah, prices may be high but who actually pays less nowadays with the way Man United, Man City and Chelsea inflating the prices ..

But I don't agree with the all British policy, if I'm honest. I never thought British players were particularly good in football (no offence intended). Players like Rooney is good and Gerrard is probably the best English player in the last 10-15 years.

I'd be tempted to take a chance with quality foreigners like Neymar, Javi Martinez or Lavezzi now. I would used to argue that they have no PL experience but that doesn't matter anymore. Look at Suarez, Torres and of course Downing and Robbie Keane.

And of course, no matter what anyone says, Champions League is still an attraction to the big players. Not everyone is like Luis Suarez and Suarez himself probably didn't expect us to be this terrible in the league this season.

anoop
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 651 posts |
      • Liverpool fan till i die !!..
      Reply #4: Mar 25, 2012 11:07:02 am
      As for hendo it is mainly confidence issue.Last match he got an excellent shooting chance and wasted it without even trying to shoot. He would have been much better if he got slowly introduced into the first team. From a confident hendo i expect more forward passes than what is happening now(currently it is like he has eyes only at back and side.No front vision).
      Adam is a back up player.You cant sign a world class player and place him on the bench as a backup for gerrard.
      Carrol ;I think it was a panick buy(but still he was injured to play straight away??).I cant see him being a success.He lacks that striker instinct which can't be taught. He may get some assists by the knock downs because of  brilliant suarez playing with him.
      And now it is clear that KK has not have faith on carrol(not starting).
      Enrique was a bargain buy
      I don't know what DC saw on downing
      The rest of the games this season will tell us about carrol's future at liverpool.But will support him as long as he is playing for us.
      Big Andy
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 786 posts |
      • 18 soon to be 19
      Reply #5: Mar 25, 2012 11:24:14 am
      As long as they are quality, sign them.

I actually see the point in signing Adam, Henderson, Downing and Carroll back in 2011. Adam, Downing and Henderson were one of the few who were top in the assist chart. They were meant to supply the ammunition but haven't done so. Downing is a seasoned Premier League player and I have to admit I've always liked him but again, it just looks like it isn't working out. Henderson and Carroll, I can see the sense in signing homegrown youngsters with potential. Yeah, prices may be high but who actually pays less nowadays with the way Man United, Man City and Chelsea inflating the prices ..

But I don't agree with the all British policy, if I'm honest. I never thought British players were particularly good in football (no offence intended). Players like Rooney is good and Gerrard is probably the best English player in the last 10-15 years.

I'd be tempted to take a chance with quality foreigners like Neymar, Javi Martinez or Lavezzi now. I would used to argue that they have no PL experience but that doesn't matter anymore. Look at Suarez, Torres and of course Downing and Robbie Keane.

And of course, no matter what anyone says, Champions League is still an attraction to the big players. Not everyone is like Luis Suarez and Suarez himself probably didn't expect us to be this terrible in the league this season.

Thankyou great post.
      To be honest i dont care how much Carroll was. Yes we shouldnt of paid that much for Carroll. But i dont know how people can say Carroll will never prove his worth.
      Im pretty sure people would pay another 20m for Torres before he left to score 60 more odd goals to make his tally to around 120 goals and his price tag being 40m. So pretend Liverpool bought Torres for 40m and scored 120 goals for the club  Then imagine if Carroll scored around 120 goals for Liverpool then he would be 5m cheaper  then Torres was.

No one tell me they wouldnt of bought torres for 40m if they knew he was going to score 120 goals.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #6: Mar 25, 2012 11:37:47 am
      Nationality should not be an issue when signing a player.  Quality is what is important.  The problem i do have with british players is i think they are more limited technically and tactically to their foreign counterparts. I think this is largely down to the coaching systems in place. I personally think the Spanish system for coaching kids is the best and they have reaped the rewards. I would absolutely never over pay for British players and think that is the mistake we have made.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,662 posts | 6960 
      Reply #7: Mar 25, 2012 12:10:21 pm
      I've got no problem with us buying British players.

My problem is with us buying sh*t British players.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #8: Mar 25, 2012 12:15:13 pm
      I don't really care if we buy British players or foreign players as long as they cut it for the club!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,333 posts | 8607 
      Reply #9: Mar 25, 2012 01:08:05 pm
      My problem is with us buying sh*t, overpriced British players.

Fixed!
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #10: Mar 25, 2012 01:54:02 pm
      We lost alot of money on selling on players until recently and buying players 29 and over has been expensive but what we have done now is buy potential and this season it has not worked.
      Over the last 20 years our buying of players has been largely poor and we have bought expensively.Now out of the CL again its going to be hard to get the talent we want unless we pay a premium price.
      staffletop
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 679 posts | 29 
      Reply #11: Mar 25, 2012 01:55:03 pm
      The trouble with buying players is you just never know, wherever they are from.
      There are exceptions tho, anyone with eyes could see Mata, Silva and Aguero were always going to be top class, but we also know how much they get paid every week, we cant afford their wages, add to that we dont have champions league football and you can see why we didn't get them. Likewise even a blind man could see Carrol isnt worth anywhere near 35M.

Personally I dont think that our buys have been that bad, but we paid over the odds for some of them. Enrique and Adam were good value for money, despite what I said about Adam initially, he was bought at 'squad player' price and is a good squad player, Enrique has been outstanding.
      Henderson has youth and quality and Downing is starting to find his feet but we overpaid a bit for both of em.
      Our other option would have been to buy foreign players, of the same quality, and I think that would have been a bigger gamble as they dont have PL experience and generally want bigger wages.

On the whole I believe that foreign players are more mercenary that domestic players. They move for money, a chance of trophies or CL football and if they don't get it they want to be somewhere else. Domestic players do still want the money and trophies but are willing to fight for them at the club they are at, they don't go running of for pastures new if things don't go right.

At the end of the day nationality has to be taken into consideration, its just unfortunate that the worlds best players no longer come from the UK, except Steve G obviously.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #12: Mar 25, 2012 02:02:26 pm
      If you're signing British players like Bale or Wilshere, then fine. If you're buying such limited British players as Downing and Carroll for £55m then you're clearly wasting money which could be spent more wisely on vastly superior players from the continent.

Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #13: Mar 25, 2012 02:09:28 pm
      As long as they are quality, I want them to be signed.

We've seen "experienced and seasoned" Premier League players move clubs only to not fit in in other clubs or flop like Robbie Keane (Spurs to us), Torres (Liverpool to Chelsea) and even Joe Cole (Chelsea to us).

Then we've seen foreigners who has never played in the English league but takes the league by storm - e.g., Fernando Torres (Atletico Madrid to us), Luis Suarez (Ajax to us) and Mata (Valencia to Chelsea) are some of them.

It doesn't matter where they come from anymore, whether they've played in England or not and so on.

As long as you're a good footballer, you can adapt.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #14: Mar 25, 2012 02:42:44 pm
      I am not so sure it is as simple as most would like to think. Over the past few years there has been a switch away from buying top foreign stars by most clubs (excluding Citeh and Chelsea) not because they don't perform on a cold night at Stoke or are only interested in the CL, but because it has become financially prohibitive for most clubs, even with paying over the odds to buy British. 

Until recently the high exchange rate of the Euro and the high tax rate in Britain of 50% meant that while the cost of the transfer might equate to the cost of a similar player in Britain, the overall package to entice a foreign player was much higher.

Certainly ignoring Citeh and Chelsea who have their own private printing press, the trend over the last few years has been for the big foreign stars to be sold abroad rather than brought over here.  Alonso, Mascherano, Ronaldo, while even the super rich Chelsea has been looking more to buy their foreign stars from the stock already over here rather than abroad.(Torres, Meireles)

When was the last time the mancs bought big from abroad?

As Alonso said back in 2009 :-

Xabi Alonso warns that tax will drive top players away

Even footballers have turned on the government. Xabi Alonso believes Gordon Brown's economic policies have weakened English football and that the Premier League's star players could be forced to the Continent to escape the weak pound and the incoming 50p tax rate.
      The world's an oyster: Xabi Alonso believes players will move away to protect their salaries
      By Duncan White

10:00PM BST 20 Jun 2009

Alonso is refusing to commit himself to Liverpool next season, with Real Madrid eager to to take him to the Bernabeu, and with Alonso estimating he is losing a third of his earnings he is edging closer to a return to Spain.

"Of course we footballers think about it; we are not stupid, we keep an eye on it," Alonso said. "When you see your contract down by 30 per cent you cannot be happy. I cannot do anything – it must be Gordon Brown or David Cameron.

" I think the weakness of the sterling is not helping the Premiership because for those competing and fighting against the European teams it is a big weak point. Hopefully over the next few months and years it will get back to what it was not so long ago."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/5578084/Xabi-Alonso-warns-that-tax-will-drive-top-players-away.html

An example of this would be if we bought a player for £20million who was on £100k per week in Spain we would have to pay him £130k per week for him to break even, or over £6 million extra over a 4 year contract. 

« Last Edit: Mar 25, 2012 03:05:51 pm by s@int »
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #15: Mar 25, 2012 03:22:24 pm
      Last weeks budget changed the 50 p tax rate down to 45p from next April.
      Im going to phone Xavi (Xabi)  and see if he wants to come home.
      With Friends And Family I might surprise Mascher as well !
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,333 posts | 8607 
      Reply #16: Mar 25, 2012 03:27:24 pm

Probably around the same time they last looked good in Europe.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,466 posts | 4591 
      Reply #17: Mar 25, 2012 04:19:51 pm
      Lets be honest we have failed to attract the cream of british players down to the fact we never challenged for the league, unless they were home grown most went to manure,chavs or arse  even now 1 or 2 look at spuds as a better prospect than us and one of the reason is Champions League football.

AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #18: Mar 25, 2012 04:22:00 pm

De Gea for 20 million in the summer
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,268 posts | 927 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #19: Mar 25, 2012 04:24:27 pm
      Lets be honest we have failed to attract the cream of british players down to the fact we never challenged for the league, unless they were home grown most went to manure,chavs or arse  even now 1 or 2 look at spuds as a better prospect than us and one of the reason is Champions League football.

Hammer...nail ...head
      davepolo
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | -1 
      • taught English by AZ, grAmmEr schooL fAiLure
      Reply #20: Mar 25, 2012 05:02:57 pm
      i think we have bought what we could afford henderson is overpriced but may come good
      adam doesnt look fit enough gives two many fouls but isnt a bad back up
      downing getting better all the time
      carroll cant say a lot about him panic buy of highest order
      think kenny needs to give shelvey a couple of games now we dont know if he is going to be good enough
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,961 posts | 5018 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #21: Mar 25, 2012 05:06:26 pm

Up to a point your right Shabs, we couldn't attract the cream of British football because we had  the poisonous yanks creaming off us, selling our assets and underwhelming our then manager, meanwhile, Harry houdini was given the reins at Spuds and allowed to bring in the players which would in turn bring CL football,

had Herpes and Gonorrhoea acted like proper owners and backed Rafa we would not be in the state we are in now, Kenny has been left to pick up the pieces, and rebuild from a position at least 2yrs behind our rivals,

it will probably take longer to than first envisaged for Kenny to get us back to where we truly belong and thus far he is doing a grand job, in the meantime tho we are playing catch-up, but be rest assured we will get there,

ask yourselves this, how many trophies have the Arse,Spuds,Chavs,Toon won in the last few seasons?, F**k all, but we have and we are behind 75% of those above, if thats not seen as progress then i don't know what is,CL football is not that far away, we will get there but we need to build bit by bit,

IKWT     YNWA
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,130 posts | 455 
      Reply #22: Mar 25, 2012 07:22:19 pm
      I think we need a striker that can score bags of goals.  We need to find the best player available to us from anywhere in the world.

Quick Reply