Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 12th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Damien Comolli has been sacked

Read 39537 times
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Re: Damien Comolli has been sacked
      Reply #529: May 10, 2012 02:19:47 pm
      Say anything else interesting Huyton?

Surprised by the Henderson and Carroll parts of that in terms of who pushed those signings.
      Kenny has stuck with Jordan, obviously rates him, and the Carroll one in Kennys book he says Comolli came to him with Andy.

http://www.talksport.co.uk/radio/richard-keys-and-andy-gray/120510/damien-comolli-liverpool-andy-carroll-and-moneyball-method-171751

Comolli's interview.

Say's Carroll has doubled his work rate since joining Liverpool, that Carroll is intelligent, listens, works hard and has a good lifestyle.
      « Last Edit: May 10, 2012 02:30:15 pm by s@int »
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,200 posts | 168 
      Reply #530: May 10, 2012 02:34:51 pm
      Downing is simply the EPL's worst signing of the year but the others have potential to become much better and for me Adam is far from being a flop! 11 assists and two goals is great for a team who has scored about 45goals! The players signed are not that bad but I think that what irritates us is that we have not signed the players we Needed. Wingers and strikers mainly and loaned out Aquilani and sold Mereiles to sign Adam and Henderson. We need to be wiser in the purchase. We buy wingers when we need to for eg. Where are the wingers and strikers we've been crying for during the last 2 seasons? we need wiser recruitmen, we need at least 2wingers and a striker/goal scoring midfielder at the moment.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,338 posts | 2837 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #531: May 10, 2012 02:35:51 pm
      http://www.talksport.co.uk/radio/richard-keys-and-andy-gray/120510/damien-comolli-liverpool-andy-carroll-and-moneyball-method-171751

Comolli's interview.

Say's Carroll has doubled his work rate since joining Liverpool, that Carroll is intelligent, listens, works hard and has a good lifestyle.

Thanks for the link but it's 34 min long! I don't have the time (probably not patience either :P) to listen to that. If anyone has a link with a transcription of what he said, I would really appreciate it

Did he really say who were "his" signings and who were Kenny's?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,674 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #532: May 10, 2012 02:37:57 pm
      What makes a good player?
      "Intelligence"
      15 years ago talent and technique.
      Intelligence summarises everything.
      Use your talent for the team.

Talked about how good Alonso is and how vital he was to Torres/Liverpool.

Oh also said we'll never see another Viera as he was the complete midfielder.
      Guess he's not watched Yaya Toure lately so.

High intensity running. Requirement of a modern day footballer but...
      Mother of god he doesn't have talk sh*te.
      Carroll doubled his high intensity since arriving at LFC.

Can I add that his accent is F***ing crazy. French/London innit.

Ha ha ha.
      What did Alonso bring to Liverpool. He laughs.
      I think Alonso and Xavi pretty much blew the high intensity and statistics
      out of the water. On statistics you wouldn't sign them because of the lack
      of sprinting and high intensity.
      « Last Edit: May 10, 2012 02:50:51 pm by racerx34 »
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #533: May 10, 2012 02:49:19 pm
      Did he really say who were "his" signings and who were Kenny's?

Not that I heard, but as you say it was 34 mins long and I didn't listen to every minute.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,674 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #534: May 10, 2012 02:54:22 pm
      At 22/23 in Rafa's last season Lucas started 46 games.

Just been mentioned in the interview. Comolli is a massive fan.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #535: May 10, 2012 02:58:09 pm
      "We signed a player who ticked all the moneyball boxes, but he was a massive failure".

any guesses..... and don't all say Downing :)

Ha ha ha.
      What did Alonso bring to Liverpool. He laughs.
      I think Alonso and Xavi pretty much blew the high intensity and statistics
      out of the water. On statistics you wouldn't sign them because of the lack
      of sprinting and high intensity.

Makes you wonder what he would have thought of Molby :)
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #536: May 10, 2012 03:01:59 pm
      "We signed a player who ticked all the moneyball boxes, but he was a massive failure".

Aquilani...
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #537: May 10, 2012 03:04:49 pm
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,674 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #538: May 10, 2012 03:07:31 pm
      Can't take scouting away.
      Data, saber, moneyball must be mixed with scouting and meeting the player.
      Player ticked all the boxes
      Position needed
      Data
      Stats
      Physically
      Fitness
      High intensity

Love how he said. I've signed er we've signed players.

Some dodgy boxes to tick right there.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,674 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #539: May 10, 2012 03:08:20 pm
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #540: May 10, 2012 03:12:41 pm

I've not listened to it but I presumed he meant as a club...

Of his players? I can't really think of one which is why I thought he meant as a club..
      I'm no expert in this moneyball thing though.. I'm more to the thinking of.. Sign a good player.. Simple but effective.

Who has he signed?
      Suarez
      Carroll
      Enrique
      Doni
      Coates
      Adam
      Henderson
      Bellamy
      Downing..

At this stage right now can any be labelled failures of that sceme?
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,338 posts | 2837 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #541: May 10, 2012 03:15:07 pm

Downing?
      Or Downing?

“We look thoroughly into data before signing players, as well as statistics, and we really think we are getting a big, big asset throughout. Maybe his talent has been undervalued in English football. We know what we will get and we are getting a very efficient player.”

Oh yes... Downing.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,674 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #542: May 10, 2012 03:18:07 pm
      Always end on a high.
      In this case talk a lot about Bale, but then say he reminds you of Maldini.
      Er, what?
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #543: May 10, 2012 03:19:48 pm
      Downing?
      Or Downing?

“We look thoroughly into data before signing players, as well as statistics, and we really think we are getting a big, big asset throughout. Maybe his talent has been undervalued in English football. We know what we will get and we are getting a very efficient player.”

Oh yes... Downing.

Again I will admit to not knowing much about this moneyball stuff but isn't the basics of it buy a player who's value is falsely low due to whatever reason but the level of the player is superior to that value? Then the profit is there once you get the right tune out of them again?

How can Downings value ever be thought of as lower than his potential?

I always thought it would fit to someone for example like Tevez before he came back to City his value would be less than it was this time last year..
      Then you would look to sign him for 40? Million.. This January potentially 25?
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,338 posts | 2837 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #544: May 10, 2012 03:24:23 pm
      How can Downings value ever be thought of as lower than his potential?

I know what you mean, mate, but you can see from Comolli's quote from when he signed Downing (which I posted above) that he thinks Downing was undervalued, and he backed this opinion on statistics. It ticks pretty much the Moneyball boxes in theory.

In practice Downing was clearly not undervalued and am not sure if his stats mean that much, but I can only believe Damien was talking about Downing in that interview.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,674 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #545: May 10, 2012 03:26:11 pm
      I know what you mean, mate, but you can see from Comolli's quote from when he signed Downing (which I posted above) that he thinks Downing was undervalued, and he backed this opinion on statistics. It ticks pretty much the Moneyball boxes in theory.

In practice Downing was clearly not undervalued and am not sure if his stats mean that much, but I can only believe Damien was talking about Downing in that interview.

Not necessarily.
      He could plausibly have been referring to David Bentley at Spurs.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,338 posts | 2837 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #546: May 10, 2012 03:31:38 pm
      Not necessarily.
      He could plausibly have been referring to David Bentley at Spurs.

Wasn't he talking about his signings at Liverpool?
      If not, yeah Bentley was a massive massive failure. £16M a few years ago was even more money than it is today.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,674 posts | 3900 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #547: May 10, 2012 03:36:20 pm
      Wasn't he talking about his signings at Liverpool?
      If not, yeah Bentley was a massive massive failure. £16M a few years ago was even more money than it is today.

I think we was just emphasising that the data/stats/moneyball/sabermetrics must be used with scouting.
      He then says "I've signed er we've signed a player that ticked all the boxes but was a massive failure" and then says similar happened with a keeper. Maybe Gomes.
      Fowler kop hero
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 583 posts |
      Reply #548: May 10, 2012 03:43:55 pm
      Richard keys even said it was downing and he was talking liverpool... Liverpool was in his brain all the way through the interview. I enjoyed it. Came across well. Still don't understand moneyball. He loves big andy. Wow I'm eager for next year and to see andy let rip!!!
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #549: May 10, 2012 03:45:19 pm
      I think we was just emphasising that the data/stats/moneyball/sabermetrics must be used with scouting.
      He then says "I've signed er we've signed a player that ticked all the boxes but was a massive failure" and then says similar happened with a keeper. Maybe Gomes.

I thought he was talking about a goalie he signed outside of England, so must be St Etienne.

Because Gomes played for PSV and they were the big boys in Dutch footie at the time so it doesn't fit with him saying he couldn't adjust to not having as much to do.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #550: May 10, 2012 04:06:12 pm
      Carroll finds his form as axed Comolli insists: Liverpool have made him better... and he's going to improve even more

PUBLISHED: 15:20, 10 May 2012 | UPDATED: 15:20, 10 May 2012

Damien Comolli insists Liverpool have made Andy Carroll a stronger player and is confident there is more to come from the £35million man.
      Carroll has had his critics since leaving Newcastle for Anfield in January 2011 and the striker has bagged just nine goals this season.

As director of football, Comolli carried the can for Carroll's transfer, the £20m deal for Stewart Downing and the £16m purchase of Jordan Henderson.

The Frenchman was axed from his post last month as Liverpool failed to keep pace with the Premier League leaders but he is expecting big things from England international Carroll.

Comolli told talkSPORT: 'He is a much better player technically [at Liverpool]. I think his runs are better, he is very, very fit, and his lifestyle is very good.
      'All the time I was at Liverpool and he was at Liverpool he was never caught drinking or doing stupid things. He looks after himself.
      'When he came, our sports science people and the coaching staff got hold of him and said "this is what you have got to do if you want to get to the top level".

'He totally grabbed it and ran with it. You can see the effects at the moment. And I think this is just the beginning. All the stats prove that strikers, especially target strikers, peak when they are 26. He is 23. He has got so much more to come.

'It is incredible. He is intelligent, he is dedicated, he listens, and he has got a good lifestyle. I don't see why he shouldn't be a big success.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2142410/Andy-Carroll-hailed-Damien-Comolli.html#ixzz1uTm8SpkQ

edit - perhaps I should have put this in the Carroll thread
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #551: May 10, 2012 04:10:27 pm
      The Daily Mail will genuinely pass of any by any other media outlet as a story of their own.

Quick Reply