Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 3rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W10 D5 L8

First 50 for Jay

Read 3420 times
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,039 posts | 3352 
      First 50 for Jay
      Apr 14, 2012 11:14:13 pm
      The next game Jay Spearing plays for Liverpool will be his 50th.

Nice little milestone for the lad, and I must admit I thought he'd missed the boat a few years back but he's come on leaps and bounds under Kenny and just needs to add a few goals.

Made up for Jay.
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Re: First 50 for Jay
      Reply #1: Apr 14, 2012 11:18:15 pm
      The next game Jay Spearing plays for Liverpool will be his 50th.

Nice little milestone for the lad, and I must admit I thought he'd missed the boat a few years back but he's come on leaps and bounds under Kenny and just needs to add a few goals.

Made up for Jay.
      He might not be as good as Lucas, but like Lucas has come on leaps and bounds and has proved his critics wrong.
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #2: Apr 14, 2012 11:22:14 pm
      Solid player well worthy of a place in our squad. May there be many more appearances.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #3: Apr 14, 2012 11:28:58 pm
      Jay has put in many solid performances this season and shown his worth to the team. No surprise at all that he is just one game away from 50 appearances.

Keep it up, lad, and long may it continue.  :gt-happyup:
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #4: Apr 14, 2012 11:31:53 pm
      A great player to have in the squad, vastly underrated by football pundits and fans from other clubs in general, althogh I feel he can be sometimes a bit overrated in this forum. Without Lucas he is a needed presence in the team and a great squad player at all times. I also thought he was not going to make it as a LFC player but he showed great improvement.
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #5: Apr 14, 2012 11:32:27 pm
      Keeps on growing as a player and I think he has it in him to add another 20% to his game as he gains in experience. Written off by many from the moment he had his first few stints in the 1st team he has proved that his form at the back end of last season was no fluke with another successful season. Players with his skil set really come to the fore IF you can surround him with really skillful players and I think we'll see the best of him as and when Kenny is able to do that. He's always been tenacious and hard working but we've seen his passing come on this season and the next thing is for him to grab a goal or two.
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #6: Apr 15, 2012 12:46:25 am
      Was my MOTM against Everton and I think he is a perfect squad player for us. Has filled in for Lucas nicely this season.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,157 posts | 261 
      Reply #7: Apr 15, 2012 02:58:39 am
      Well done Jay lad, great heart little man he is.

He still has time to improve as he's only 23, and I really hope to see him improve and still get chances in next few years. As no one doubt his determination and mentality I still think as he supposed to do DM job he must improve on his defensive side as I'm not see him do good enough DM job to stop/slow down opponent's attacking through the center, say he's still far to go to hit the same level to Masch or Lucas etc. Time also help him on his physical side, a bit more strength need for "destroyer".

Recently I think Jay played decent especially his contribute in attack but I may be wrong I think I preferred to see SG who's much superior to Jay to take care of attacking and Jay to make sure SG has not much to worry about opponent's attack.

Again still really hope he can reach the quality level needed for Liverpool FC conquerer team. Great heart and nice guy that's for sure our Jay. 
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,604 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #8: Apr 15, 2012 06:44:15 am
      Well done lads, keep it up.

YNWA
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #9: Apr 15, 2012 08:45:28 am
      Can be clumsy with the ball at times but was superb against the sh*te in yesterday's Semi I thought.

Never hides and always wants the ball.

Great squad player IMO.
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #10: Apr 15, 2012 12:50:30 pm
      I remember watching him come on against Real Madrid in the Champions League at Anfield a few years back when we won 4-0. He was like a terrier at their ankles. Crowd were singing his name too. He's come on so much since that night! And still has room to improve.

Well done lad, keep it up. :)
      guyfawks
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 212 posts |
      • Keep trying, you'll get there in the end
      Reply #11: Apr 15, 2012 01:08:26 pm
      A promising squad player now lucas is out, we need them.
      Neston_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 900 posts |
      Reply #12: Apr 15, 2012 02:14:38 pm
      magaye gueye played well...
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #13: Apr 15, 2012 02:42:58 pm
      Wow I never realised he has played 50 games already! deserves to play in everyone too!

Long live scouse midfielders!  ;D
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #14: Apr 16, 2012 01:03:09 am
      Been impressed hugely by Speo this season.  He's really stepped up to the plate during Lucas's absence.

Would see much of a problem with him in our starting XI next season.  Keep it up my fellow Wirral compatriot. ;)

Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #15: Apr 16, 2012 01:05:40 am
      Well in Jay lad.

Out of the 3 local lads involved showed the most hunger and desire on Saturday.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #16: Apr 16, 2012 03:53:50 am
      Decent enough back up. Asked to fill a huge void lately and even though the gulf in class between he and Lucas is huge, he's never put in less than 100% and you can see his improvement every week.

Well in Jay.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #17: Apr 16, 2012 06:19:17 am
      I actually wouldn't mind seeing a Spearing-Lucas partnership, when Lucas returns.

Jay could try and stick to the mascherano type seek and destroy mission and Lucas could focus on breaking play and dictating tempo. It may not be needed in all matches i.e. we could play only one DM when we batter the Mancs at 'The Shower'. 
      StevieG80
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 103 posts |
      Reply #18: Apr 16, 2012 08:35:21 am
      I think he is more a squad player, he would fit into a mid table teams first team fine however................. ........................ ......oh hang on, my bad

But seriously if you are looking to push on and challenge he is not 1st 11 for me. He makes a lot of mistakes and often plays negatively or sideways for me at times when there is no need to do so.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #19: Apr 16, 2012 09:54:47 am
      But seriously if you are looking to push on and challenge he is not 1st 11 for me. He makes a lot of mistakes and often plays negatively or sideways for me at times when there is no need to do so.

Considering a post i just read of yours in the Kenny Dalglish thread I am quite surprised to find that I agree with you.

Dont get me wrong the lad has played his part and performed excellently in certain games this year including the semi but I also feel he will drop down to the bench when better players are signed.
      LFC_Olly_91
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 309 posts | 43 
      Reply #20: Apr 16, 2012 07:28:26 pm
      Congrats Jay :)

Always does a tidy job when called upon, can see him becoming a regular in the side one he's a but older.

Keep up the good work Spearo!
      lerpwl_am_byth
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 566 posts |
      Reply #21: Apr 16, 2012 09:28:06 pm

I swear every time the commentator said his name, it sounded like he was critiscising something by calling it 'gay'.

"That's Gueye"
      "Spearing loses the ball, Gueye."
      lerpwl_am_byth
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 566 posts |
      Reply #22: Apr 16, 2012 09:28:57 pm
      But anyway, well in Jay. Top but underrated player.

Quick Reply