Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 3rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W10 D5 L8

Attacking Midfielder - have we already got one ? or do we need to buy ?

Read 5766 times
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Attacking Midfielder - have we already got one ? or do we need to buy ?
      Apr 27, 2012 12:46:24 pm
      Just a thought, looking at some of our lack-luster performances, in my opinion we are crying out for an attacking / creative midfielder. (as well as sticking options)
      It is looking more and more likely that at least one of our 2 creative players could be heading back to Anfield.

Joe Cole, having started 35 games for Lille, scoring 8 and creating 5 more, will be propbably heading back home to Anfield. As Lille won't be able to afford his wages (as Liverpool are reported paying 50% at present.

Alberto Aquilani, having played in 28 AC Milan games, but Milan claim that 12 were as substitute - therefore only counting as half an appearance, will be doubtful of triggering his release clause of 6M Euro's after 25 appearances. ( if you can follow that, he has 21.5 out of 25).
      He has only scored 1 goal to my knowledge in his time at the San Siro, but is more than capable to find that killer ball.

Therefore, the question is, do we look to buy a midfielder or re-kindle either of the aboves career at Liverpool.
      I very much doubt that if they both return, they would both stay, as there wages couldn't be justified.
      But could 1 of them still do a job that is crying out for us ??

I know, that my number 1 transfer request would be for some strikers, esp a fox in the box, but every transfer window it is always midfielders that are bought.
      Keeping a Cole or Aquilani may save millions of £'s, but is this a step backwards ??
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,620 posts | 3851 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: Attacking Midfielder - have we already got one ? or do we need to buy ?
      Reply #1: Apr 27, 2012 12:49:39 pm
      Just a thought, looking at some of our lack-luster performances, in my opinion we are crying out for an attacking / creative midfielder. (as well as sticking options)
      It is looking more and more likely that at least one of our 2 creative players could be heading back to Anfield.

Joe Cole, having started 35 games for Lille, scoring 8 and creating 5 more, will be propbably heading back home to Anfield. As Lille won't be able to afford his wages (as Liverpool are reported paying 50% at present.

Alberto Aquilani, having played in 28 AC Milan games, but Milan claim that 12 were as substitute - therefore only counting as half an appearance, will be doubtful of triggering his release clause of 6M Euro's after 25 appearances. ( if you can follow that, he has 21.5 out of 25).
      He has only scored 1 goal to my knowledge in his time at the San Siro, but is more than capable to find that killer ball.

Therefore, the question is, do we look to buy a midfielder or re-kindle either of the aboves career at Liverpool.
      I very much doubt that if they both return, they would both stay, as there wages couldn't be justified.
      But could 1 of them still do a job that is crying out for us ??

I know, that my number 1 transfer request would be for some strikers, esp a fox in the box, but every transfer window it is always midfielders that are bought.
      Keeping a Cole or Aquilani may save millions of £'s, but is this a step backwards ??

I've mentioned it already, I feel when it comes to midfield our more pressing need is to find a back up/partner for Lucas.
      A lot on here are just presuming he will come back the player he was at the start of the season. What if he doesn't or
      what if he breaks down. We really need to make sure we are covered in the centre and not recruiting with that in mind
      would be an almighty gamble.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #2: Apr 27, 2012 01:41:37 pm
      I've mentioned it already, I feel when it comes to midfield our more pressing need is to find a back up/partner for Lucas.
      A lot on here are just presuming he will come back the player he was at the start of the season. What if he doesn't or
      what if he breaks down. We really need to make sure we are covered in the centre and not recruiting with that in mind

I agree mate,  my priority would be for a striker , then a winger and a defensive midfielder, hopefully all with pace.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #3: Apr 27, 2012 02:09:18 pm
      I agree mate,  my priority would be for a striker , then a winger and a defensive midfielder, hopefully all with pace.

I'd prefer someone to fill the void left by Xabi, rather than a Lucas / Masch defensive mid. Someone who is a good defender, but an even better passer, and when people tackle him he earns us a swamp-load of red cards per season (not by diving too).
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,620 posts | 3851 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4: Apr 27, 2012 02:14:34 pm
      I'd prefer someone to fill the void left by Xabi, rather than a Lucas / Masch defensive mid. Someone who is a good defender, but an even better passer, and when people tackle him he earns us a swamp-load of red cards per season (not by diving too).

I think we'd all like to find the next Alonso.
      We still need investment in a defensive midfielder.
      If we go someone in the mould of a playmaker then they could probably play alongside Lucas or Spearing.
      I think we need three options in that area.
      BarneyLFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,838 posts | 137 
      Reply #5: Apr 27, 2012 02:18:42 pm
      I think we'd all like to find the next Alonso.
      We still need investment in a defensive midfielder.
      If we go someone in the mould of a playmaker then they could probably play alongside Lucas or Spearing.
      I think we need three options in that area.

I disagree. I'm fine with Lucas and Spearo there, with a new CM and Adam as his backup as our "Alonso" if you will. That's when I start tossing names like Nuri Sahin and Ever Banega around, praying we get one of them. :D
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,923 posts | 965 
      Reply #6: Apr 27, 2012 02:24:24 pm
      I actually really like both players.  I know how much people complained about Joey when he was here, but my opinion is that he was still working his way back to full fitness after a long time out through injury.  When he did play for us he was always one of our only players who consistently played the ball on the deck and looked to play a creative pass and move style. 

Aqua is also a pass and move style player, and I would only point to his performances last preseason as proof that he can make it in a red shirt.  He was consistently our best performer in a poor preseason campaign, and I think that he would do well here if given the opportunity. 

Honestly, I think both players would be better options in our pass and move style game than Adam, Kuyt, or Carrol.  Just my opinion though.....
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,620 posts | 3851 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #7: Apr 27, 2012 02:28:54 pm
      I disagree. I'm fine with Lucas and Spearo there, with a new CM and Adam as his backup as our "Alonso" if you will. That's when I start tossing names like Nuri Sahin and Ever Banega around, praying we get one of them. :D

Again you're basing all this on the presumption that Lucas will come back as he was and not suffer with injury problems.
      soxfan
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,478 posts | 59 
      Reply #8: Apr 27, 2012 02:30:31 pm

Agreed.

Re: Aquilani or Cole, if we have to choose one, I'd prefer Aquilani. I think he has better pace at this point in their respective careers.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #9: Apr 27, 2012 03:02:42 pm

Fractured ankle, broken tibia, broken fibula, and ankle surgery.
      Reddamo
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 168 posts |
      Reply #10: Apr 27, 2012 06:30:40 pm
      Like to see a fit J Cole back here next season, he deserves a chance if he keeps himself fit. Aqualani is a good player but doesn't want to be here, shame really because I think we could really use him next season.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #11: Apr 27, 2012 06:34:47 pm
       We need a top quality attacking midfielder, and so does practically everyone else. If you've already got one, you need another just in case the one you've already got is unavailable. Alberto Aquilani isn't him though, good God no.
      « Last Edit: Apr 27, 2012 06:46:21 pm by bigmick »
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,620 posts | 3851 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #12: Apr 27, 2012 06:37:21 pm
      I wonder will we get linked to Honda and Diego again.
      Would be relatively cheaper than some of the alternatives although Diego seems a bit mentally fragile.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #13: Apr 27, 2012 06:48:46 pm
      Aquilani ? Cole. ?   Two names.
      One bought injured one bought over the hill.

Being mentioned in the same thread and the same posts as Mascher and Alonso.

Makes me weep. Shadowlands.

The players that have gone on and the total crap we have bought.

Answer to Question .  If compared to who has held the role for us  ........No. We havent anything like an Attacking Midfielder.

Seen the goals scored chart ?     Laughable.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #14: Apr 27, 2012 06:51:26 pm
      We don't have an attacking midfielder. Not from this season anyway. The midfield generally has been abysmal this season. That's in no large part down to the relative failures (I'm afraid to say) of Downing and Henderson who have provided little. But the loss of Lucas really blew our season up. Worse, we didn't have a capable man of filling in his role.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,260 posts | 8582 
      Reply #15: Apr 28, 2012 12:50:20 pm
      Like to see a fit J Cole back here next season, he deserves a chance if he keeps himself fit. Aqualani is a good player but doesn't want to be here, shame really because I think we could really use him next season.

Ha ha ha F**k off you crank, the lad can't run five yards without stopping to catch his breath, F**k the little cockney c**t off, plus it's a disgrace we're paying him £60,000 a week to be there! Blame the F***ing Torres of the Financial world for that little gem of a deal. If Kenny wanted him, he would of kept him and not fu**ed him off to France.

I'd have AA back though, more mobile and better touch than the Cockney Leo Messi!!
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #16: Apr 28, 2012 01:05:57 pm
      I'd have AA back though, more mobile and better touch than the Cockney Leo Messi!!

Agreed mate.

What people forget with Aquilani is it normally takes a season for an import to fully adapt to the premier league never mind one recovering from ankle surgery.

All the people bagging Aquilani are doing so on a season here where he was recovering from injury and finiding his form and fitness and then Juve and Milan's reluctance to buy him.

The thing is Aquilani has performed well for both clubs and there decision not buy him is not anything to do with how he has performed as he's actually played very well at both clubs as anyone who has watched him play for both clubs would tell you.

Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #17: May 01, 2012 06:31:09 am
      i'm kind of okay with who we have (stevie, shelvey) if we bring in a defensive midfielder
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #18: May 01, 2012 09:06:47 am
      What people forget with Aquilani is it normally takes a season for an import to fully adapt to the premier league never mind one recovering from ankle surgery.
      Do you reckon Blood, if, by some weird twist of fate, he actually wants to play here: we'll have to wait 'til he re-adapts?

Personally I don't believe that the return of Alberto is, in any shape or form, a 'goer'. Not the lad's fault (in my opinion) but he's been a part of LFC history which is best forgotten.

From signing him when he was crocked, loaning him out to Juve (whilst buying Poulsen from them... WTF?) and finally not being able to give him away... the whole Alberto clusterfuck has been like a pish storyline in a crap soap.

I don't believe he wants to be here, I don't believe he's really wanted here and as such I don't believe he's the answer to any of or problems. Best move on to those who tick the boxes.

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #19: May 01, 2012 09:15:05 am
      Totally agree with BBB, it's been a sorry story that I'm embarressed at how the whole saga from start to finish has been handled. We've been done by 3 italian teams it feels like, one for buying a crock at that price, then the 2 loans while buying Poulsen, ridiculous and honestly hard to believe we could be such soft touches.

On point, we definitely need an attacking midfielder, simply because Gerrard is unlikely to last the full season and unlike the start of last season when people believed we'd be over stocked in the centre of the park (admittedly with Aquilani and Meireles still here) it's glaringly obvious that we lack creativity in the middle and I'd say as with a striker it's absolutely essential we pick up one this summer. Add to that a right winger and we're in good shape, plus replacements for whoever leaves.
      lefty1896
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,700 posts | 23 
      • He scores a goal and the kop goes wild...
      Reply #20: May 01, 2012 09:22:34 am
      I think it's like anything, should the right player become available and he would improve our squad we should try everything to get him on board, whether we have somebody in that position or not.
      PaulKG
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts | 20 
      Reply #21: May 01, 2012 03:31:54 pm
      I would say Suarez is probably an 'attacking-mid', especially when Carroll is playing you barely ever see Suarez in the box when an attack is coming on he's always just lingering outside trying to take 5 players on; or when Carroll isnt playing Gerrard takes up that role behind Suarez, but I think that works really well, look at the game against Norwich the other day they linked up great! Think we definitely need a top right-winger in summer, maybe Muniain? Think if Downing improves next season we could look the real deal.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #22: May 01, 2012 05:42:19 pm
      Do you reckon Blood, if, by some weird twist of fate, he actually wants to play here: we'll have to wait 'til he re-adapts?

I think we would mate, but I think he would adapt quicker as he's already played here albeit somewhat limited, but he knows what to expect from the league and the pace of it, providing that is he stays injury free and leaves that horrible purple puffer jacket in Italy as that was enough to injure my eyes.

Quick Reply