Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 16th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P16 W12 D1 L3

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Vote for your man of the match.

Pepe Reina
      (0.6%)
      Jamie Carragher
      (1.7%)
      Martin Skrtel
      (1.7%)
      Glen Johnson
      (0%)
      Daniel Agger
      (2.3%)
      Jordan Henderson
      (4%)
      Jonjo Shelvey
      (9%)
      Maxi Rodriguez
      (1.7%)
      Stewart Downing
      (0.6%)
      Andy Carroll
      (67.2%)
      Luis Suarez
      (11.3%)

Liverpool 4-1 Chelsea: In game and Post Match Happiness

Read 39210 times
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Re: Liverpool 4-1 Chelsea: In game and Post Match Happiness
      Reply #621: May 08, 2012 11:29:10 pm
      I knew this would f*cking happen. I couldn't watch the game today, and we play a blinder :mad: Caught the last 10 minutes though.

Absolutely awesome win today. I'll catch the replay later tonight, but from what I've read: Andy and Luis were fantastic, and Henderson and Shelvey had good games. Fantastic. Can't wait to watch the replay.
      Neston_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 900 posts |
      Reply #622: May 08, 2012 11:31:09 pm
      Just got back from the game. I now have the chant " Chelsea Rent Boy" stuck in my head :D. Thought the atmosphere was top notch as well.
      jamo174
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      Reply #623: May 08, 2012 11:37:24 pm
      Fantastic energetic performance from the reds on and off the pitch. Pressed high up the pitch, intelligent runs (no coincidence Maxi was playing), and some great individual performances too. Thought Carroll was MOTM and was absolute handful throughout the 90 mins. Was great to see the crowd acknowledging his work rate, an acknowledgement that will surely spur him on in the future. Suarez was excellent again, and i thought Downing was very good in the 1st half. Hopefully the penalty miss wont dampen that for him. Thought Shelvey, whom i have extremely high hopes for, played great alongside Hendo. Just hope Jonjo can cut some of the rashness, though Stevie was like that when he was his age.

Fans will obviously wonder why we couldnt play like that on Saturday. Im thinking that the way we set our stool out today was Kennys acknowledgement that the tactics were wrong on Saturday. This performance raises a few questions about the rest of our home performances this season, but hopefully this can be a benchmark for how these players can perform and the tactics that we used also.

A very happy Red.
      Neston_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 900 posts |
      Reply #624: May 08, 2012 11:38:20 pm
      Terry was scared shitless of Carroll and Suarez
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #625: May 08, 2012 11:42:48 pm
      Terry was scared shitless of Carroll and Suarez
      Your right Neston , and when you see Terry like that you just know that Carroll will be immense and silence his critics once and for all.
      Neston_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 900 posts |
      Reply #626: May 08, 2012 11:46:24 pm
      Sweet Carroll Nine ;)
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #627: May 08, 2012 11:52:49 pm
      anyone know where i can watch the highlights?

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/338715/20120508/liverpool-chelsea-4-1-highlights-goals-premier.htm

Anyways 33 times this season we have hit the woodwork!
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #628: May 08, 2012 11:53:56 pm
      Fantastic energetic performance from the reds on and off the pitch. Pressed high up the pitch, intelligent runs (no coincidence Maxi was playing), and some great individual performances too. Thought Carroll was MOTM and was absolute handful throughout the 90 mins. Was great to see the crowd acknowledging his work rate, an acknowledgement that will surely spur him on in the future. Suarez was excellent again, and i thought Downing was very good in the 1st half. Hopefully the penalty miss wont dampen that for him. Thought Shelvey, whom i have extremely high hopes for, played great alongside Hendo. Just hope Jonjo can cut some of the rashness, though Stevie was like that when he was his age.

Fans will obviously wonder why we couldnt play like that on Saturday. Im thinking that the way we set our stool out today was Kennys acknowledgement that the tactics were wrong on Saturday. This performance raises a few questions about the rest of our home performances this season, but hopefully this can be a benchmark for how these players can perform and the tactics that we used also.

A very happy Red.

Totally agree Jamo.

Good points and well made.

Great individual performances that can encourage them and us for the coming season.

Shelvey is quality and you are right about the little areas he needs to address....time will put him in good stead.

Overall, a happy Red but one like you who believes questions rather than answers have been raised tonight after that performance.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #629: May 09, 2012 12:11:00 am
      For the first time this season, 4 goals were scored in Anfield in the league but Essien did contribute to that :P Our biggest win this season in the league.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #630: May 09, 2012 12:20:39 am
      Breaking News: Bayern Munich had scouts at Anfield tonight and have asked UEFA to overturn John Terry's suspension.

:f_tongueincheek:
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #631: May 09, 2012 12:24:21 am
      From what I have seen, it was a great performance and many of this who have been criticised did well this evening. Great way to finish an indifferent league season.
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #632: May 09, 2012 12:27:09 am
      Fantastic moment when Andy chased that ball 30 yards and stopped it going out for a corner.

Every side of the ground to a man got to their feet and applauded. Think hes finally landed here.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #633: May 09, 2012 12:30:20 am
      Agree.

The last few weeks has revealed a player that we initially wanted and failed to reveal.

Good for him for getting his sh*t together.

Do believe he can turn it around even though i was utterly against him playing for us again after the Newcastle performance and reaction to being subbed.

Putting it down to a local boy being deeply embarrassed by his performance. Hopefully this spurs him on.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #634: May 09, 2012 12:36:49 am
      Is it true that Torres's first three passes  were .....  Kick Offs ?

Mu Ha Ha
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #635: May 09, 2012 12:42:16 am
      I"m goingto watch the Downing penalty again , hopefully it goes in this time. :)
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #636: May 09, 2012 12:44:03 am
      Well, what a win! Was really impressed with Shelvey, miles ahead of Spearing IMO.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #637: May 09, 2012 03:29:13 am
      (Sorry for the long write-up!!!)

Just finished watching the replay. Fantastic win and a great performance from the whole team. Watching Terry and Ivanovic get dominated is an amazing feeling  ;D

This is the second or third time we've played with Henderson and Shelvey together as a CM pairing. I love it. The two of them have tons of energy and they have a much better balance together than I thought. For example, Shelvey has great attacking ability going forward, while Jordan operates better when he's playing a bit deeper. I want these two playing together in Europa League group play and the Carling Cup. Obviously, they both have some things to work on individually, but I have hopes for them. Top class finishes from both of them as well.

The defense was great, all four. Btw, that ball Johnson played to Carroll in the second half was a PEACH!

The attack was very fluid today. I don't want to take away from the performance too much, but Chelsea were poor today - we must remember. Having said that, the passing and interplay was quite good. I thought Maxi moving around on the left was important in the side. And of course any time Suarez is on fire, we're going to be all over teams, so that helped tremendously as well.

Special note to Andy Carroll once again. He was dominate out there. Every one of us has been waiting to say that, and now that he's found some confidence and good form, he's immense - the last 130 minutes has been the Andy Carroll show. When he's on, he's terrifying for the opposition. Throw in the pure quality of Luis Suarez, and that makes for an entertaining attack.

Two final things stand out for me:

1) Pass and move: There was a lot of talk (from myself included) that playing Andy Carroll kind of hurt our overall attack. The players didn't know how to play to him and he didn't know how to play to the other 9 outfield players. I think that's changed a bit. Andy has made some good improvements and learned the team, but the team is also learning how to get the best out of Andy. It's encouraging to see. Which leads to...

2) The Carroll-Suarez partnership: I think it's starting to arrive. Much later than ideal, but the more these two play together, the better they become. The last few times out together, they've showed some great signs for the future. We still need another striker I think, but if these two continue to play this way, that complicates our needs somewhat. If they're both on, they're great.

Awesome to get the final home win, especially with that performance. On to Swanselona!
      lord_anshul
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #638: May 09, 2012 05:51:05 am
      What a great team performance. I was watching the match post midnight in India and was shouting on top of my lungs.

Besides usual great work done by Carroll and Suarez, there are a few things that caught my eyes last night:

1) Jonjo Shelvey: He is going to be one hell of a player for us in next couple of seasons. He needs to go on loan in some decent club with a nice pass and move playing style. He needs playing time and i reckon he is not going to get much of it next season with Lucas, Gerrard, Adam, Henderson and possibly Aquilani  getting nod above him. This lad has got some great vision and nice technique. Yes, at times he tries somethings very outrageous but then this even confuse the opposition team. And with time, he'll mature and learn and should be able to increase his performance bar even higher. At this stage of his career he needs game time.

2) Left Back : We desperately need a back up for Enrique. Neither Agger, nor any of our existing make shift LB are any good. It restricts our chances going forward significantly. We need someone who understands that he is going to be a second choice but is a decent professional. Someone with mentality if Brad Jones and Maxi this season.

I really felt bad for Downing. I am not sure if he is just not good enough or he is going through a horrible patch. But he needs to sort it out at the earliest. Just like big Andy he needs to realize what he is capable of and then he'll be a massive boost to our side.

SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #639: May 09, 2012 07:39:52 am
      Question for those that were there, at the end of game when the SKY cameras were focusing on one or two players there was really loud booing being aimed at someone.

I know it wasnt directed at any of our boys - was it Torres applauding the KOP or anything like that?
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,532 posts | 1517 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #640: May 09, 2012 08:17:47 am
      Question for those that were there, at the end of game when the SKY cameras were focusing on one or two players there was really loud booing being aimed at someone.

I know it wasnt directed at any of our boys - was it Torres applauding the KOP or anything like that?

I was wondering the same thing. I thought it may have been because he was shaking hands with our boys.
      StevieG80
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 103 posts |
      Reply #641: May 09, 2012 08:19:28 am
      Carroll was fantastic last night and in the final. Would be nice to see him come good now. Cant help but feel however that he could do without the season ending in one games time.
      The recent boost in confidence seems to have done him the world of good. The fans are generally backing him and he is already being touted for an England place (though its much debated whether its deserved).
      He is young and time is on his side so fingers crossed. We still need to buy a striker or two either way though so we have a plan B and backup plans for injuries etc.
      Good goal for Henderson last night although he did benefit by the defensive slip some.
      It seems Chelsea's intent on ruining Torres continues. He started to find form and was still dropped to the bench again and again putting him back. I understand the boos etc don't get me wrong but I kinda feel for the guy, yeah he made his bed but its someone's life and career going down the pan. He made a brave (or foolhardy) decision to move and it hasn't paid off on a personal level. Should they win the CL however (hope not) he will probably claim he made the right decision what with his FA Cup and CL medals to go with his World Cup medal.
      Good result today all be it we should have played like that in the final and not just for last 20 or so mins.
      Lets hope Kenny can make the tweaks this summer to bring the best out of our strikers and that he gets the backup/plan B strikers in for the squad too.
      macca8

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #642: May 09, 2012 08:46:42 am
      CORNISH
      • Forum David Johnson

• 234 posts |
      Reply #643: May 09, 2012 08:48:05 am
      BBC seem to be stirring things or they  know something we dont. they  keep mentioning suarez could be facing punishment for the "suspected elbowing of ivanovic".
      really pissed off with that shiite from the BBC.
      1} it wasnt an elbow
      2)ref didnt deem any action necessary
      3)no mention of that poor victim ivanovic elbowing andy to give away the penalty and a certain red card not  being issued.
      4)no mention of the disgusting cowardly 2 footed jump on andy from behind by essien that  should have also  been a straight red
      5) if suarez is punished it will prove beyond a shadow of doubt there is an agenda against him/LFC.

scummy  BBC scum tw*ts.
      will be interesting to see what the papers have printed too.
      media scum.

Quick Reply