Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 24th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P14 W9 D1 L4

Will UEFA Europa League be priority this season?

Read 4218 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,453 posts | 8660 
      Re: Will UEFA Europa League be priority this season?
      Reply #23: Aug 22, 2012 01:02:31 pm
      We still finished 5th that season!

That just made the 25th all the more funnier!
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,360 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #24: Aug 22, 2012 01:10:18 pm
      We still finished 5th that season!

Nobody cared though. May 05 to May 09 we were top 2/3 side in Europe. Wouldnt even say were favourites for Europa league now
      Jase
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,287 posts |
      Reply #25: Aug 22, 2012 01:52:58 pm
      I know.

The demise of our club since 2009 is heartbreaking.
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #26: Aug 22, 2012 02:22:38 pm
      I agree that we should be aiming to win everything we are in. But realistically there are always priorities, and the sword that finished Kenny was the league. Most of us agree in hindsight that FA Cup or not Kenny was going to get the sack.

Brendan knows that and he knows well. I'm not saying Top 4 or he get's the sack but an improvement needs to be made. Losing to West Brom shouldn't send alarm bells ringing but it is a staunch reminder of the job at hand.

Right now we are in the Europa League and we should look to win it, but not at the expense of the bread and butter that is the league. 
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,008 posts | 209 
      • do do do
      Reply #27: Aug 22, 2012 03:09:45 pm
      It's been three years without UEFA Champions League for club like Liverpool structure it's not good enough. I think for short-term it would benefit Liverpool to be in UEFA Europa League cos they can rotate the squad by including fringe & youngsters for early stage until round 32 depends on the opposition then bring your big boys in cos after round 32 the competition gets exciting. The reason why i'm asking for rotation because we want to challenge for the top four this season so it's best for the big players to have that rest & just concentrate fully on the league. We must not disrespect UEFA Europa League cos it still is a European competition just look at how many teams made to quarter-final last season 3 Spainish teams, 2 German teams, 1 Ukraine, 1 Portuguese & 1 Dutch so where's the English or British or even Italian teams? Most People think it's a mickey mouse competition which is absolutely disgrace. There is a disadvantage that it has an extra round & also it plays on Thursday but what UEFA have to do is move UEFA Champions League games from Wednesday to Monday & allow Wednesday for UEFA Europa League games so it gives players the time & rest they need for next domestic game. I think Brendan Rodgers priority will be the bread & butter which is the league. He will take this competition seriously come the quarter finals onwards. I think he will grab this chance to do well in Europe cos it's the first time in his managerial career to coach his team in European games... As a Liverpool fan it's hard for me to say this season we won't finish in top 4 cos it's new team, new manager, new coaching staff & new philosophy which takes time...

I agree with you, it is a disgrace to see people put down this European cup - it is probably because they haven't won any of them. Maybe we (at least I) have some bias because we have won it equal record amount of times and winning it again will put us outright top. It is another trophy. A European trophy.

We will not disrespect the competition but I too believe we will play our youngsters and fringe players for most of the group stages, we are more than capable of doing it, our defenders and our goalkeepers young or senior can hold the clubs around Europe that will be participating. If Carroll will not be starting Prem games surely this is where he will dominate if we cater for him.

Europa League is NEVER priority one for LFC but when we are in it we aim to win it. Not all out best XI but intelligently with the good squad of players we have.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #28: Aug 22, 2012 05:02:10 pm
      Don't think we'll see much of the first team in the Europa League after the season really gets kicking. The only reason we saw so many vs. Gomel is to get match fitness. We may see similar vs. Hearts, but once we're in the group stages it'll be league or bust.
      FRANS
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 551 posts | 19 
      Reply #29: Aug 22, 2012 05:03:15 pm
      Every game we are playing is very important to me.
      Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #30: Aug 22, 2012 05:31:40 pm
      Final - Amsterdam

Definitely high on the list of my priorities!
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,882 posts | 704 
      Reply #31: Aug 22, 2012 06:35:57 pm
      Quote from waz112003
      It's been three years without UEFA Champions League for club like Liverpool structure it's not good enough. I think for short-term it would benefit Liverpool to be in UEFA Europa League cos they can rotate the squad by including fringe & youngsters for early stage until round 32 depends on the opposition then bring your big boys in cos after round 32 the competition gets exciting. The reason why i'm asking for rotation because we want to challenge for the top four this season so it's best for the big players to have that rest & just concentrate fully on the league.

We must not disrespect UEFA Europa League cos it still is a European competition just look at how many teams made to quarter-final last season 3 Spainish teams, 2 German teams, 1 Ukraine, 1 Portuguese & 1 Dutch so where's the English or British or even Italian teams? Most People think it's a mickey mouse competition which is absolutely disgrace.

I think Brendan Rodgers priority will be the bread & butter which is the league. He will take this competition seriously come the quarter finals onwards. I think he will grab this chance to do well in Europe cos it's the first time in his managerial career to coach his team in European games...

You ask for it not to be disrespected, and then go on to treat it seriously not from the first game, but from "the quarter-finals onwards", as it "gets exciting". :roll:

There's no guarantee we'll even get that far. Ask Spurs and Fulham from last year, and they failed to qualify for the quarter finals because they played reserve players in the group phase. Neither club made the CL this year either.

Of course I will take the competition seriously from the last round and want the strongest side available playing in every game, but the Yankers won't give a F**k. For them, the CL is the be all and end all of Liverpool's existence.

At least Kenny cared about the honour of this club.
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,498 posts | 233 
      Reply #32: Aug 22, 2012 06:36:10 pm
      Of course the League should be the priorirty, but winning the Europa League would be fantastic!
      waz112003
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 70 posts |
      Reply #33: Aug 22, 2012 08:57:20 pm
      I agree with you league is the priorirty but we shouldn't take our eyes off the UEFA Europa League...

Quick Reply