Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Will UEFA Europa League be priority this season?

Read 4242 times
      waz112003
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 70 posts |
      Will UEFA Europa League be priority this season?
      Aug 21, 2012 12:13:49 am
      It's been three years without UEFA Champions League for club like Liverpool structure it's not good enough. I think for short-term it would benefit Liverpool to be in UEFA Europa League cos they can rotate the squad by including fringe & youngsters for early stage until round 32 depends on the opposition then bring your big boys in cos after round 32 the competition gets exciting. The reason why i'm asking for rotation because we want to challenge for the top four this season so it's best for the big players to have that rest & just concentrate fully on the league. We must not disrespect UEFA Europa League cos it still is a European competition just look at how many teams made to quarter-final last season 3 Spainish teams, 2 German teams, 1 Ukraine, 1 Portuguese & 1 Dutch so where's the English or British or even Italian teams? Most People think it's a mickey mouse competition which is absolutely disgrace. There is a disadvantage that it has an extra round & also it plays on Thursday but what UEFA have to do is move UEFA Champions League games from Wednesday to Monday & allow Wednesday for UEFA Europa League games so it gives players the time & rest they need for next domestic game. I think Brendan Rodgers priority will be the bread & butter which is the league. He will take this competition seriously come the quarter finals onwards. I think he will grab this chance to do well in Europe cos it's the first time in his managerial career to coach his team in European games... As a Liverpool fan it's hard for me to say this season we won't finish in top 4 cos it's new team, new manager, new coaching staff & new philosophy which takes time...
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Re: Will UEFA Europa League be priority this season?
      Reply #1: Aug 21, 2012 09:38:07 am
      I doubt it.

The league's where it's at.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #2: Aug 21, 2012 09:51:49 am
      Call me old fashioned but I still believe that everything we enter should be a priority,success breeds success.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #3: Aug 21, 2012 09:52:48 am
      I doubt it.

The league's where it's at.

^^^ This.

Werner has made it very clear that Champions League football is "critical" to our future development and although John Henry had earlier lifted the 'target' it would be foolish of us to think that it doesn't remain, very much, the only focus of our attention.  :-\
      Bier
      Reply #4: Aug 21, 2012 11:51:10 am
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,522 posts | 8686 
      Reply #5: Aug 21, 2012 11:53:30 am
      It's been three years without UEFA Champions League for club like Liverpool structure it's not good enough. I think for short-term it would benefit Liverpool to be in UEFA Europa League cos they can rotate the squad by including fringe & youngsters for early stage until round 32 depends on the opposition then bring your big boys in cos after round 32 the competition gets exciting. The reason why i'm asking for rotation because we want to challenge for the top four this season so it's best for the big players to have that rest & just concentrate fully on the league. We must not disrespect UEFA Europa League cos it still is a European competition just look at how many teams made to quarter-final last season 3 Spainish teams, 2 German teams, 1 Ukraine, 1 Portuguese & 1 Dutch so where's the English or British or even Italian teams? Most People think it's a mickey mouse competition which is absolutely disgrace. There is a disadvantage that it has an extra round & also it plays on Thursday but what UEFA have to do is move UEFA Champions League games from Wednesday to Monday & allow Wednesday for UEFA Europa League games so it gives players the time & rest they need for next domestic game. I think Brendan Rodgers priority will be the bread & butter which is the league. He will take this competition seriously come the quarter finals onwards. I think he will grab this chance to do well in Europe cos it's the first time in his managerial career to coach his team in European games... As a Liverpool fan it's hard for me to say this season we won't finish in top 4 cos it's new team, new manager, new coaching staff & new philosophy which takes time...

Wow you say all that but forget to mention where the final is? Too right I want the bas**rds to take it serious, I want a F***ing party in Amsterdam!! Hanging out of brasses, swirling your scarf around your head singing "Ring of Fire"

Stop getting worked up about all that football bullshit and enjoy the party!!
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,791 posts | 7190 
      Reply #6: Aug 21, 2012 12:09:04 pm
      The day Liverpool football club does not take a European competiton seriously is the day we stop being LFC.
      It may not be CL but the old "fairs" cup or UEFA cup is part of our history and we should do everything we can to win it.
      I dont get this picking and chosing ,everygame that Liverpool FC take part in should be won.
      Epicthunder
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 206 posts | -1 
      Reply #7: Aug 21, 2012 12:18:43 pm
      Nah the Carling cups definitely where our priorities lie xD
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,381 posts | 2884 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #8: Aug 21, 2012 01:01:26 pm
      We should be in it to win it but priority? Has to be the league always
      Jase
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,287 posts |
      Reply #9: Aug 21, 2012 01:02:43 pm
      Last season shows that cups mean nothing to these owners, if we aren't challenging for the top 4.
      NavyNick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 851 posts | 38 
      Reply #10: Aug 21, 2012 01:20:27 pm
      Yeah defo go for the league, but give the cups a real go, even blood some of the youngsters in the cups and get the experience there.
      wegot5bigears
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 201 posts |
      Reply #11: Aug 21, 2012 01:56:41 pm
      we goto try and win every comp we enter lfc should at least be trying that nobody is that fussed about the europa untill last 16 so can give a few younger lads game time
      also like some one said the final is in the dam canny wait digs sorted already only because my bro and his dutch mrs run a little b&b there ,canny wait
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #12: Aug 21, 2012 02:03:25 pm
      I think first of all we need to qualify. Then, I think the club would like to get out of the group stage because even though most don't care, there will be over-the-top headlines in the press as another boot to stick into the club if we fail to qualify for the knockout stages. From there, I don't think it will matter much.
      waz112003
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 70 posts |
      Reply #13: Aug 21, 2012 02:17:43 pm
      I totally agree with you all but these owners don't know about football they are here for business reason cos they want UEFA Champions League so they are interested in financial aspect comes category so they are not interested about domestic cups like for e.g. League Cup & The FA Cup but don't know about UEFA Europa League where they regard that this season? 
      PaulKG
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts | 20 
      Reply #14: Aug 21, 2012 07:48:18 pm
      On a cup basis then yes that over League cup and FA. But surely the league is main priority? We finished our lowest position in 50-odd years so the main thing is surely to get back into the top-6 at least (above Everton an Newcastle?) an hopefully push for 4th. If we do that then cup competitions are just a bonus, just basically a chance to give our 2nd string a good run out.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,995 posts | 5048 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #15: Aug 21, 2012 08:13:37 pm
      As a club we will and do enter every competition with the sole purpose of winning it, that includes League,league cup, FA cup and either of the European trophies on offer,

we all know the holy grail is the CL but we will not cease to function if we dont qualify, i still hang on to tradition and belief that we exist to win trophies with the money enriched CL a bonus if we get there, as for it being the be all and end all, it is far,far away from being anything but.

6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #16: Aug 21, 2012 09:17:21 pm
      Good post Waz .
      With everything thats going on take a raincheck and remember where we were , say March 1st this year..
      Just won the Carling Cup , 7th in the league 12 points off 3rd place with a game in hand, qtr finals of the FA cup !! loads to feel good about ..
      Come March 1st next year i'd like to think we'll be in pretty much the same position , although a few less points off 3rd would be better...and to put some extra spice into the mix a tasty last 16 Europa cup tie lined up would be very nice thanks...The finals in Amsterdam you know ..even better !! ha ha.  :cool-smiley-027:
      Europe has always been special to this club and we are always considered to be a prized scalp because of our treasured history so I hope Field Marshall Rodgers takes it seriously...I will be !!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #17: Aug 21, 2012 09:32:53 pm
      Hate it when people ask this sort of the question, it's the same with the Carling Cup and my answer is always the same, Yes it should be a priority because every competition should be a priority because we should be going out giving 110% to try and win every match and every competition. Look at the year we won everything apart from the league under Houllier, we didn't disregard any competition then and were just 1 competition away from having a clean sweep of everything!

Also the more trophies that you win, the more money you get and then get better players!
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #18: Aug 21, 2012 10:17:19 pm
      Maybe the question needs to be phrased differently.
      Example:
      "If you could have ONE of the following this season, what would it be:
      Top4
      Europa
      FA Cup
      Carling"

One answer.

Mine: Top4

(didn't put in 'The title' cause that'd be a no-brainer)

Know that when history is looked back on you won't see top4 in the trophy list. But if the eventual goal is the title, not sure that winning that Cup last season got us much closer to that, or even saved the manager. So that's my preference.
      Will see what way Rogers lines up in the Cups vs. the league.....
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #19: Aug 21, 2012 10:39:28 pm
      I think it is easy to say at this point of the season it is down the list as we have a shot at top 4, more than likely going to be using the squad players to get some minutes under their belt and hope they can get the business done to reach the knockout phase with little fuse as one thing this does is congest the fixture in the OCT-NOV months. Maybe down the line where things if things are not going in the league (I can't see that happening but always a chance) than things change and the idea of going out and winning this doesn't seem as silly as it did at the start of the season, especially when your so far in the competition. You always have to remember if we did win the competition then we would be the most successful club in the UEFA Cup/Europa League which is always nice to have on your resume as clubs measured by the amount of winner medals.
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #20: Aug 21, 2012 10:55:01 pm
      As a Liverpool fan it's hard for me to say this season we won't finish in top 4 cos it's new team, new manager, new coaching staff & new philosophy which takes time...
      Rafa's first season have you forgotten.
      ilikeliverpool
      • Forum John Toshack

• 253 posts |
      Reply #21: Aug 21, 2012 11:14:23 pm
      As far as cup competitions go, this should be our priority.

The league is obviously where the financial priority is for the owners, but i think taking cups less seriously can affect your league form.

For example, imagine if we lost to Hearts on Thursday, and went into the Man City game off defeats to West Brom and Hearts? The morale in the dressing room would be pretty down, but that's where Rodgers would need to earn his money.

As a fan Europe is always my favourite competition, whether it be the Europa or Champions League.
      Jase
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,287 posts |
      Reply #22: Aug 22, 2012 12:37:46 pm
      Rafa's first season have you forgotten.

We still finished 5th that season!

Quick Reply