Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W7 D5 L11

Ian Ayre Managing Director

Read 49290 times
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Re: Ian Ayre Managing Director
      Reply #92: Sep 02, 2012 12:33:51 pm
      Maybe Fulham didn't ever intend to sell to us, after reporting us to the FA for persuing Dempsey!
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #93: Sep 02, 2012 12:37:15 pm
      Maybe Fulham didn't ever intend to sell to us, after reporting us to the FA for persuing Dempsey!

Don't think they had a choice to be honest if we'd matched their valuation he'd be our player.

As it stands We should have matched their valuation or if we had no intentions of doing so, we should have moved on to other targets.

Our manager believed that signings were coming in, two medicals were booked, by doing nothing they sold Rodgers short for the coming season.
      Don77

• 6,549 posts | 1093 
      Reply #94: Sep 02, 2012 05:24:03 pm
      Don't think they had a choice to be honest if we'd matched their valuation he'd be our player.

As it stands We should have matched their valuation or if we had no intentions of doing so, we should have moved on to other targets.

Our manager believed that signings were coming in, two medicals were booked, by doing nothing they sold Rodgers short for the coming season.

Yep and all of this is FSG's fault. Did they really think that 4m was going to bring in a replacement for Carroll as well as dempsey? They were a disgrace last friday but i am sure they will try and pin it on Ayre and make him the scapegoat by taking his job off him!
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #95: Sep 02, 2012 08:35:05 pm

Ask any supporter on this board What's Dempsey worth?

The answer would have been 6-7m

Ask any other clubs supporters what Dempsey was worth?

They would say 6-7m

Everybody in the league knew he was not worth 10, but 6-7m was a good piece of business

We bid 3m, for a player our manager requested.

Say's it all really
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #96: Sep 02, 2012 09:58:18 pm
      Ayre must have told Brendan he could bring in 2 players because BR was very confident of that August 30. Ayre could have been lying, overestimated his negotiation abilities, or was good to go but held back by the owners. Are three are possible, and it's probably a little bit of all three. One thing for sure is the owners would not release like 2m more for a player Brendan wanted. Whether you rate Dempsey or not is irrelevant. The manager wanted him, but funds weren't released in addition to a F**k up in negotiation.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #97: Sep 02, 2012 10:01:51 pm
      Ask any supporter on this board What's Dempsey worth?

The answer would have been 6-7m

Ask any other clubs supporters what Dempsey was worth?

They would say 6-7m

Everybody in the league knew he was not worth 10, but 6-7m was a good piece of business

We bid 3m, for a player our manager requested.

Say's it all really

Spurs paid £6M so he is worth that at the very least because of their track record in the transfer market. We were outbid by the most miserly club in the league.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #98: Sep 02, 2012 10:09:44 pm
      Spurs paid £6M so he is worth that at the very least because of their track record in the transfer market. We were outbid by the most miserly club in the league.

Your hatred of Spurs ;D

But you are spot on. I said a few times in the Dempsey thread that 7m was fair for everyone involved.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,259 posts | 8581 
      Reply #99: Sep 02, 2012 10:20:33 pm
      Wants F***ing massively if what I've heard today is true. Supposedly given the full £6 million by the board to get Dempsey, but thought he could get him on the cheap at four million, the formal bid rejected by Fulham, then tried again with the full six million, only to be told by Fulham theat Dempsey was in negotiations with Spurs. I have said for ages this c**t shouldn't have been allowed anywhere near an MD role.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #100: Sep 02, 2012 11:03:12 pm
      Your hatred of Spurs ;D

But you are spot on. I said a few times in the Dempsey thread that 7m was fair for everyone involved.

Old habits die hard.  ;D
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #101: Sep 03, 2012 12:02:23 am
      Wants f**king massively if what I've heard today is true. Supposedly given the full £6 million by the board to get Dempsey, but thought he could get him on the cheap at four million, the formal bid rejected by Fulham, then tried again with the full six million, only to be told by Fulham theat Dempsey was in negotiations with Spurs. I have said for ages this c**t shouldn't have been allowed anywhere near an MD role.
      Is right HR.This g*bshite along with Purslime,climbed the greasy pole during the "dark years",in the end,the 4 of them have set us back a generation.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #102: Sep 03, 2012 04:39:18 am
      Wants f**king massively if what I've heard today is true. Supposedly given the full £6 million by the board to get Dempsey, but thought he could get him on the cheap at four million, the formal bid rejected by Fulham, then tried again with the full six million, only to be told by Fulham theat Dempsey was in negotiations with Spurs. I have said for ages this c**t shouldn't have been allowed anywhere near an MD role.

If that's true that's shocking and massively disappointing. But right now, I'm inclined to say the owners wouldn't release a wee bit more for Dempsey due to age. I've seen tons of contradicting stuff though so it feels like guesswork from everyone.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #103: Sep 03, 2012 10:30:52 am

And Aston Villa had a £4m bid accepted, so even miserly Spurs had to pay a 50% mark up.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #104: Sep 03, 2012 10:33:35 am
      I know we upset Fulham and they wanted to make it difficult for us but to come away with nothing from the deal is terrible.
      leaving it until deadline day was always a risk it looked like we were desperate and we were of course.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,441 posts | 3422 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #105: Sep 03, 2012 10:42:45 am
      I think it's wrong to blame Ayre for all the worlds ills because quite simply it has stood out for ages that we needed an experienced football administrator who knows how the game works instead of someone who comes from a more commercial background. Making Ayre the only scapegoat would solve anything.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,259 posts | 8581 
      Reply #106: Sep 03, 2012 11:53:12 am
      If that's true that's shocking and massively disappointing. But right now, I'm inclined to say the owners wouldn't release a wee bit more for Dempsey due to age. I've seen tons of contradicting stuff though so it feels like guesswork from everyone.

I agree and a lot of it is rumours, but there was a lot of talk regarding the whole shambles of Friday night at the ground yesterday.

Making Ayre the only scapegoat would solve anything.

Why not? Maybe then he'll know how Kenny felt for parts of last season walking alone defending Suarez!!
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #107: Sep 04, 2012 08:05:55 am
      Lads on yesterday's Anfield Wrap giving him the bifters and making some very valid points on him.

Where is he? Can't get his ugly mush off camera enough when we're unveiling new signings and stuff.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      Reply #108: Oct 04, 2012 12:11:15 pm
      Interview with Ayre getting aired this Saturday at 6pm on City Talk's Strictly John Keith show.

Apparantly talking about the Suarez/Evra affair, Dalglish's sacking, driving around like a dick on a Harley Davidson, etc, etc.

Should be an interesting listen.

For those that don't know, City Talk is a radio station that can be found on 105.9 fm.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #109: Oct 04, 2012 12:34:04 pm
      Interview with Ayre getting aired this Saturday at 6pm on City Talk's Strictly John Keith show.

Apparantly talking about the Suarez/Evra affair, Dalglish's sacking, driving around like a dick on a Harley Davidson, etc, etc.

Should be an interesting listen.

For those that don't know, City Talk is a radio station that can be found on 105.9 fm.

Not getting at you, but we all know what we will hear from Ayre on the issues of Suarez/Evra and Dalglish. I am not like a lot of other people, I don't mind the man. However, he will toll the party line and not say anything remotely different or controversial.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #110: Oct 04, 2012 12:40:22 pm
      Ian Ayre did very good work increasing our incoming revenue - im not sure exactly what people think he is at fault for.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,463 posts | 4591 
      Reply #111: Oct 04, 2012 12:47:49 pm
      Ian Ayre did very good work increasing our incoming revenue - im not sure exactly what people think he is at fault for.

Fault for allowing Suarez to have poor representation with his Case at the FA,allowing Kenny to fall and take blame for supporting Suarez and mask it in league results,claiming the FA cup would not have saved Kenny after delivering our 1st Trophy in 6 years.

Proper Brown Noser too.

Stick to being a very good Commerical Director not a CEO .
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      Reply #112: Oct 04, 2012 01:14:15 pm
      Not getting at you, but we all know what we will hear from Ayre on the issues of Suarez/Evra and Dalglish. I am not like a lot of other people, I don't mind the man. However, he will toll the party line and not say anything remotely different or controversial.

Get what your saying but hasn't whatever he's said previously been in statements that have been official from the club or on LFC TV, Being Liverpool, or at least set in a way that he can say what he likes without it being questioned.

Surely, depending on the interviewer, questions he doesn't normally have to answer may be thrown his way and put to him from different angles.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #113: Oct 04, 2012 01:25:52 pm
      I love how the standard line about Ayre is that he is a great commercial director but out his depth as an MD.

That may or may not be true but I think it's hilarious so many of us on here have, apparently, the necessary experience of board level management jobs specs and performance enough to categorically judge this aptitude...

He comes across as a bit of a tit but doesn't excuse Boardroom Manager players.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #114: Oct 04, 2012 01:36:44 pm
      I love how the standard line about Ayre is that he is a great commercial director but out his depth as an MD.

That may or may not be true but I think it's hilarious so many of us on here have, apparently, the necessary experience of board level management jobs specs and performance enough to categorically judge this aptitude...

He comes across as a bit of a tit but doesn't excuse Boardroom Manager players.

Well, I have the necessary experience, and to me he looks like a sales director/accountant rather than the leader an MD should be. When the going gets tough, he's nowhere to be seen.
      He should be the face and voice of the owners as MD, but he's not. He hides, much like Downing on the pitch. See the Suarez debacle for reference, as well as the last day of the transfer window.

It's all very well poncing about for a fluff piece documentary, but the real test of leadership was failed long ago, so I think it's a fair assessment of him to say he is a little out of his depth. Of course there's nothing to say he won't grow into the job, but he needs guidance.

Quick Reply