Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 9th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P11 W6 D4 L1

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3057663 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #36133: Sep 24, 2015 05:15:42 pm
      Agree completely. I can want a new manager without resorting to spite and bile. Regardless of how things are panning out this guy got LFC closer to winning the title than any other manager has managed in the previous 25 years and he presided over the most exciting Liverpool team I have ever watched, and I include the team of Barnes, Beardsley and Aldridge in 87 in that assessment.

So he deserves criticism but also some respect as well.

You are so right Scott. I don't mind the jokes but when it descends into calling him a tw*t, taunting him that he's awaiting a big payoff to pay for divorce settlements etc and everything else under the sun then it really does become ugly. It's not deserving of a man who as you say oversaw those thrills of two seasons ago. More importantly it's not deserving of a man who, while some of us snigger at what he says, has 99% of the time presented himself In a thoroughly decent and gentlemanly manner.

For as long as he is the manager here I will continue to support him not because. Questions and debates regarding whether or when we should sack him is futile. Who we'd prefer are irrelevant until we get to that bridge.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #36134: Sep 24, 2015 05:24:37 pm
      He was of all insane things chasing the goal difference between us and City ! He admitted it.

We wouldn't have had a GD problem or come in 2nd if he had a defence .... that didn't let in 50 goals

Palace was going for the jugular. That was when we aimed for the goal difference, not the Chelsea game, but we needed to take risks there. The Palace game wasn't in my mind because we lost it against Chelsea - plain and simple.

But I'm telling you, when we had such a winning mentality going into the Chelsea game, why in gods name would anyone compromise that approach that got us in that position in the first place? It would be insanity, and if Rodgers had emphasised a more defensive setup in that game - and lost - well there would have quite rightly been hell to pay from us supporters.

I wasn't angry at anyone after that game, I was absolutely gutted for everyone involved however, including Rodgers because the way they played and the way they attacked teams was the most fearless and thrilling football I'd ever seen in my lifetime. It's easy to play the blame game and since Brendan is the fashionable option with some because of his flash car and white teeth, then it's easy to go for him. But some games you just have to put down to pure bad luck as opposed to looking for someone to blame and that was just that game sadly.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,293 posts | 4939 
      Reply #36135: Sep 24, 2015 05:26:10 pm
      He was of all insane things chasing the goal difference between us and City ! He admitted it.

We wouldn't have had a GD problem or come in 2nd if he had a defence .... that didn't let in 50 goals

He was also continuing with the football that got us so close to the title in the first place Skip.

Nor everything Brendan has done during his time here has been wrong.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,606 posts | 751 
      Reply #36136: Sep 24, 2015 05:27:23 pm
      i dont get the appeal of Klopp. He's another risk. He's never worked in England, is not as experienced as people want to make out. And he left his last team in a mess.

Ancelotti is experienced, worked with the best players and biggest clubs , we've tried potential and it failed. We cant risk it, it has to be a proven manager.

Klopp

Ancelotti

I think its bleedin obvious who we should get. And to my surprise Ancelotti is only 56.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #36137: Sep 24, 2015 05:29:15 pm

And the problem of that was?? We could have won at Palace and still lost the league. Deluded myth overeggs the importance of that night.

It's hard to take the argument of someone who argues that everything Brendan has done at the club was wrong.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #36138: Sep 24, 2015 05:31:22 pm
      i dont get the appeal of Klopp. He's another risk. He's never worked in England, is not as experienced as people want to make out. And he left his last team in a mess.

Ancelotti is experienced, worked with the best players and biggest clubs , we've tried potential and it failed. We cant risk it, it has to be a proven manager.

Klopp

Ancelotti

I think its bleedin obvious who we should get. And to my surprise Ancelotti is only 56.

Yeah, this coming from you PastorGreek who thinks Koeman is a better manager than Klopp......

I love Ancelotti, but Klopp has the credibility of building a squad. Ancelotti - for the brilliant manager he is - has inherited great squads with a lot of money.

It's silly just merely looking at a list of achievements as opposed to HOW they achieved them.

If that's the case, then you must think Bill Shankly is worse than Mourinho.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,037 posts | 537 
      Reply #36139: Sep 24, 2015 05:32:16 pm

From memory, I think it wasnt until the following game ( against Palace) that we started chasing goal difference.
      Was it not the case that if we had beaten Chelsea our fate would have been in our own hands regardless of goal difference?

We played well against Chelsea, we were unlucky. Stevie's slip was unfortunately the key moment.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #36140: Sep 24, 2015 05:35:22 pm
      He was also continuing with the football that got us so close to the title in the first place Skip.

Sadly, some like to demonise him and give him no respect at all as if he's the Second Coming of Hodgson. Pathetic and sad really.

So it's the case that seemingly everyone on here doesn't think he's up to this job anymore. But when that happens, do we immediately have to hate upon him and place him in binary terms of good v evil? I massively respect the guy, he gave us belief in 2013/14 which hadn't been at this club for years, and I will always thank him for that. And I hope he goes on to a successful career in the event of him leaving.

But seeing people harp on about his houses, cars, girlfriend, etc.... disgraceful behaviour not befitting of Liverpool fans.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #36141: Sep 24, 2015 05:38:04 pm

I accept all your arguments .

My view is that the gung ho football we were playing with Luis and a fit Sturridge was crazy and exciting.
      The name of the game was ... score what you want and we'll score more.
      The back door being our defence shipped goals as we scored them.

An analogy.

If you wanted to build a pension fund of some size from an early age you could go wild in your twenties buying into high risk stocks and shares.
      Win a few lose a few. You've  time to correct.  Living on adrenalin. Get the most.

When you are coming up to retirement age you don't go gung ho. You preserve what you've got.
      If you need to ..... you do a Mourinho and park the bus.  You keep those points on the run in.

Thats why Mourinho has a career win ratio of 66% 
      Rodgers (for all of Luis' goals)   career ratio of    44%
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,293 posts | 4939 
      Reply #36142: Sep 24, 2015 05:42:41 pm

My view is that the gung ho football we were playing with Luis and a fit Sturridge was crazy and exciting.

An analogy.

If you wanted to build a pension fund of some size from an early age you could go wild in your twenties buying into high risk stocks and shares.
      Win a few lose a few. You've  time to correct.  Living on adrenalin. Get the most.

When you are coming up to retirement age you don't go gung ho. You preserve what you've got.
      If you need to ..... you do a Mourinho and park the bus.  You keep those points on the run in.

I'm not saying it would have been sustainable football long term but if Brendan didn't let the lads loose and play that brand of football we wouldn't even have been in a position to 'lose' the league against Chelsea.

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #36143: Sep 24, 2015 05:43:43 pm
      Sadly, some like to demonise him and give him no respect at all as if he's the Second Coming of Hodgson. Pathetic and sad really.

So it's the case that seemingly everyone on here doesn't think he's up to this job anymore. But when that happens, do we immediately have to hate upon him and place him in binary terms of good v evil? I massively respect the guy, he gave us belief in 2013/14 which hadn't been at this club for years, and I will always thank him for that. And I hope he goes on to a successful career in the event of him leaving.

But seeing people harp on about his houses, cars, girlfriend, etc.... utter utter dickheads everone of them. They're not Liverpool fans. End of.

Youre right.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #36144: Sep 24, 2015 05:45:07 pm
      WORD IS :

Announcement @ 09.00 Friday.

Johnny Giles from the Leeds team of the sixties who we beat on May 1st 1965 for the Cup at Wembley.

Rodgers ... making a complete fool of himself.

And Giles hit out at the man under pressure with a candid take on his situation in his column for The Irish Independent.

"I'd feel sorry for Rodgers if he wasn't busy making a fool of himself .... without any help," he said.

"He claims he is delighted to be associated with a certain football identity while delivering very little this season to suggest that he knows what it is he wants to do himself.

"If the vision he has in his head of the way the game should be played is represented by Liverpool at the moment, Rodgers' mind must be a pretty disorganised place."

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/607556/John-Giles-Liverpool-Brendan-Rodgers-feel-sorry-him-quotes
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #36145: Sep 24, 2015 05:45:21 pm

An analogy.

Okay euro red, if Rodgers is the antichrist as you make him out to believe, you think we would have been in the same title challenging position under Hodgson? Are you not ready to give him ANY respect at all?

I mean, come off it man, surely you can come to the agreement he wasn't THAT bad?
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,037 posts | 537 
      Reply #36146: Sep 24, 2015 05:46:20 pm

An analogy.

Well you don't accept all the arguments.

As SOAG says "when we had such a winning mentality going into the Chelsea game, why in gods name would anyone compromise that approach that got us in that position in the first place?"

If Brendan had suddenly started playing Mourinho style football when we were so close to the line, it would have been a clear sign that he had bottled it. It would have sent a terrible signal to the players, fans, and opponents that we didnt have the nerve to keep playing the football that got us into that position in the first place.

There are plenty of things to blame Brendan for, but the tactics against Chelsea is not one of them.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #36147: Sep 24, 2015 05:49:09 pm
      The reason we lost to Chelsea and the league imo, was the injury to Sturridge which meant we didn't have our usual threat upfront until he came on as a sub and the red card Henderson got against citeh which meant he missed the game against Chelsea.... simples
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #36148: Sep 24, 2015 05:51:16 pm
      WORD IS :

Graham Beecroft, a local journalist, reported saying that FSG have already made a decision to sack him.

Even if it's true, what's the point in any hope? If it's not Klopp or Ancelotti, then we're going to be in for yet more disappointment.

Cheers FSG!

sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,037 posts | 537 
      Reply #36149: Sep 24, 2015 05:52:06 pm
      The reason we lost to Chelsea and the league imo, was the injury to Sturridge which meant we didn't have our usual threat upfront until he came on as a sub and the red card Henderson got against citeh which meant he missed the game against Chelsea.... simples
      Except that we played well against Chelsea.

Luck, and individual errors, are factors in football.
      Stevie slipped, and we were unlucky.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #36150: Sep 24, 2015 05:57:05 pm
      WORD IS :

Johnny Giles from the Leeds team of the sixties who we beat on May 1st 1965 for the Cup at Wembley.
      Rodgers making a complete fool of himself.

And Giles hit out at the man under pressure with a candid take on his situation in his column for The Irish Independent.

"I'd feel sorry for Rodgers if he wasn't busy making a fool of himself .... without any help," he said.

"He claims he is delighted to be associated with a certain football identity while delivering very little this season to suggest that he knows what it is he wants to do himself.

"If the vision he has in his head of the way the game should be played is represented by Liverpool at the moment, Rodgers' mind must be a pretty disorganised place."

F**k me! Stop the press! Johnny Giles has spoken!

While we're at it, we might as well ask the binman tomorrow morning what his thoughts are.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #36151: Sep 24, 2015 05:59:05 pm
      Okay euro red, if Rodgers is the antichrist as you make him out to believe, you think we would have been in the same title challenging position under Hodgson? Are you not ready to give him ANY respect at all?

I mean, come off it man, surely you can come to the agreement he wasn't THAT bad?

Rodgers had LUIS ... and he was on fire .

Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #36152: Sep 24, 2015 05:59:45 pm
      F**k me! Stop the press! Johnny Giles has spoken!

While we're at it, we might as well ask the binman tomorrow morning what his thoughts are.

An ageing dinosaur of a hated Leeds team - yep, seems a legitimate voice for our woes.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,293 posts | 4939 
      Reply #36153: Sep 24, 2015 05:59:54 pm
      Since when did Johnny Giles become an authority on Liverpool Football Club?
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #36154: Sep 24, 2015 06:00:15 pm

So did Dalglish.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #36155: Sep 24, 2015 06:03:20 pm

So? Rafa had Gerrard in Istanbul and Cardiff.

Incredible - we love to espouse the idea that football is a team game and that no one man is bigger than the team and not one team can be called a one man team. Then I read rubbish (sorry eurored) like this? It's a massive f**k you to everyone involved in the make up of that run two years ago. Such claims fly in the face of the fairness and recognition of quality elsewhere which we should be espousing.

Quick Reply