Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 9th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P11 W6 D4 L1

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3057649 times
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,620 posts | 2159 
      Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #36041: Sep 24, 2015 09:48:04 am
      The amount of personal abuse aimed at Rodgers is simply uncalled for

Agree completely. I can want a new manager without resorting to spite and bile. Regardless of how things are panning out this guy got LFC closer to winning the title than any other manager has managed in the previous 25 years and he presided over the most exciting Liverpool team I have ever watched, and I include the team of Barnes, Beardsley and Aldridge in 87 in that assessment.

So he deserves criticism but also some respect as well.
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #36042: Sep 24, 2015 09:48:32 am
      Barely understood a word of that.
      No, It is that you cannot defend what you have said 
      SogoLee
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Reply #36043: Sep 24, 2015 09:48:36 am
      i see what youre saying. My thinking is Koeman is a legendary player so players will respect that aspect at least. He also won things as a player and played for major clubs

klopp has done some good but he seems shakey to me, he lost the plot at dortmond and high tailed it outta there. Im not sure how much attractiveness there is to him from a players perspective. He isnt as experienced as we like to believe.

Ancelotti is a big name, experienced and proven. So i wont disagree there.

Im still sorta pissed cuz our fans should not have fallen for the media bull**** and literally begged for Rafa to stay. BEGGED!

I don't know why some people thought just 'trying something new' would work. It only works if its a step up.  And Literally the only 'step up' from Rafa in 2010 was Fergie, jose, wenger or like 2 other ppl who we werent ever going to get. It made no sense what so ever. He left us and took over the champions league winners haha and we didnt rate him  :lmao: :mad:

we should have flown banners over the stadium! taken ads in news papers, camped outside his house!
      We effed ourselves over because we were spoiled and had no patience.

I see some ppl saying stick with rodgers. I generally agree, im not a fan of changing managers all the time, but his confidence seems at an all time low. Ive never seen a manager alienate his own signings, and SO MANY singings in such a short space of time.

We've signed excellent players from other clubs, SEASONED INTERNATIONALS! who come to us and suddenly become total crap. Ive never seen so many players flop at once.

U cant tell me Beneteke, Sturrigde, and Balotelli aren't 3 great striking options to have.

Why is one on loan scoring goals and another underperforming?

U cant tell me Balotelli can't do a job as backup for or rotated with Benteke and sturridge.

U cant tell me if Benteke was at United or Chelsea he wouldn't be scoring goals or be playing better right now.

U cant tell me Lallana wouldn't be playing well if he was at one of the top 4 clubs.

How does lovren go from Defender of the season to Titus Bramble in 1 season.

Why were we playing a right footed CB as a left back? (up until Bordeaux) The poor kids confidence is probably shot.

Why are the fenerbahce fan page tweeting about how much they love Markovic?

Why do we have no wingers?

Why do we have no Defensive midfielders?

Why do we have 1 left back?

Why is our only other left back option on permanent holiday frolicking with his wife on instagram??

How is it possible to turn this around?

;D sorry i went on a rant haha

I totally agree with you mate, i like every bit of words you have said.......I loose confidence turning my TV on during weekends to watch my darling team :f_wah:
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #36044: Sep 24, 2015 09:53:15 am
      Giles started with the mancs but they sold him to Leeds because he wouldn't stop kicking people (obviously this was under Busby not Ferguson). Just hurts more when they say manc legend calling Brendan a fool rather than ex-Leeds player.

S@int wasn't Giles Matt Busby's son in law, I was under the impression that was why they got rid of him to Leeds. Back to Rodgers it has amazed the amount of fans/posters who have changed their minds about him staying on as our manager. Without a doubt the man has proved how inept he is at managing a club like L.F.C. and should never have been appointed in the first place .Fenway recognised that Hodgson was a bad fit at Anfield  why can't they see that Rodgers has conned them with his dossiers of bullshit.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #36045: Sep 24, 2015 09:59:44 am
      Agree completely. I can want a new manager without resorting to spite and bile. Regardless of how things are panning out this guy got LFC closer to winning the title than any other manager has managed in the previous 25 years and he presided over the most exciting Liverpool team I have ever watched, and I include the team of Barnes, Beardsley and Aldridge in 87 in that assessment.

So he deserves criticism but also some respect as well.

Sorry, but that is just not true. Rafa achieved the same points total in the 08/09 season whilst losing TWO games and destroying Utd at their ground. Also, there is no way you're going to compare Rodgers best season (due to the SAS) against title winning teams under previous managers time in charge. That just shows utter disrespect for ACTUAL achievements.

HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #36046: Sep 24, 2015 09:59:54 am
      I can live with the results providing our boys show a bit of effort and look as if they want to play for the shirt. Try and play a bit of football. But the football we're playing is arguably as bad as the Roy Hodgson era. The players don't look interested and it's as if they don't want to play for Brendan any more. He's lost the dressing room.

I was one of his biggest supporters on here last season. I defended him for playing players out of positions and said it was forced upon him to do so, I defended him for playing 1 up top and again said it was forced upon him. It was obvious he was going to struggle in his first season without Luis AND Danny plus he had 7 or 8 new faces to bed into the team and make them gel.

Brendan lost me by pursuing Benteke all summer though. Sorry to keep going on about it. A lot of us were against paying over 30m for Benteke and could see the problems it would cause. He doesn't fit in well with the players we already have here. Some were concerned over his injury record. It also meant persisting with the 1 up front nonsense too which we were terrible at doing last season.

So what has happened so far this season? Well we've played Benteke as a lone striker which has meant our attack has been dreadful and dire to watch. And now Benteke is injured. 

Brendan has also had mostly a fit squad to choose from and he is still swapping and changing players & formations and playing people out of position too.  The man doesn't know what he is doing.

Unfortunately I can't see Brendan turning this around. He is a fairly stubborn man and will therefore keep playing Benteke as a lone striker and we won't score enough goals because he is too isolated. In the mean time, we will leak them in because Brendan can't set a team up to defend. So I expect us to finish around mid table playing awful football all season - if he remains in charge.

I can't be the only one who is genuinely concerned about the derby coming up either? I honestly think Everton are going to embarrass us 3 or 4 nil. This is EVERTON we're talking about. That's how far we've fallen.

So I've now joined the Rodgers Out group. I worry though that FSG will sack him without having a replacement lined up, meaning they will panic and appoint somebody like Gary Monk or Eddie Howe. Should Rodgers go, then we must bring in a proven winner. Ancelotti for me.

brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,568 posts | 1802 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #36047: Sep 24, 2015 10:00:14 am
      sadly this poor run has now been going on for over 12months how long do you give him 10 years just so we have continuity

No But at least give him time to let new players settle in this season and get some guys back from injury like sturridge.

The board backed him in May, gave him money etc. I would have said at least till xmas.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #36048: Sep 24, 2015 10:00:51 am
      If it took a defeat against Aston Villa to get Rodgers Out I would take it

Rodgers Out

F**k that, I'm at a retirement do with a fair few Villa fans Saturday. Plus I never want us to lose.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #36049: Sep 24, 2015 10:02:39 am
      Sorry, but that is just not true. Rafa achieved the same points total in the 08/09 season whilst losing TWO games and destroying Utd at their ground. Also, there is no way you're going to compare Rodgers best season (due to the SAS) against title winning teams under previous managers time in charge. That just shows utter disrespect for ACTUAL achievements.

We beat United 3-0 at OT during Brendans title charge.

Rafa's title team were playing catch up all season too, we were never really going to overtake the mancs.

Brendan's team were in pole position but bottled it with 3 games to go.

I'm in favour of sacking Brendan now but I must admit, that second season of his is the best Liverpool team I have ever seen. I'm 27 so can't comment on the teams of the 80's - just early 90's onwards.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #36050: Sep 24, 2015 10:06:39 am
      Even if everyone of these players were forced upon poor, put upon Rodgers, something I don't have any truck with, these players are far more capable, in both performances and results, than Rodgers has provided.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #36051: Sep 24, 2015 10:06:56 am
      Mates dad lives in Liverpool told him he heard BR missed the team debrief and was on a video conference with FSG right after the game.

Any locals heard this as well?
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #36052: Sep 24, 2015 10:07:13 am
      S@int wasn't Giles Matt Busby's son in law, I was under the impression that was why they got rid of him to Leeds. Back to Rodgers it has amazed the amount of fans/posters who have changed their minds about him staying on as our manager. Without a doubt the man has proved how inept he is at managing a club like L.F.C. and should never have been appointed in the first place .Fenway recognised that Hodgson was a bad fit at Anfield  why can't they see that Rodgers has conned them with his dossiers of bullshit.

He may have been mate. I just remember Busby saying that he thought selling Giles was the biggest mistake of his career but he felt at the time he had no option as he wouldn't stop fouling.

I think most, like myself wanted Brendan gone in the summer, but were prepared to support him when that didn't happen in the hope that things would improve. Sadly things haven't improved and patience has just run out over the last few games.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #36053: Sep 24, 2015 10:14:32 am
      We beat United 3-0 at OT during Brendans title charge.

Rafa's title team were playing catch up all season too, we were never really going to overtake the mancs.

Brendan's team were in pole position but bottled it with 3 games to go.

I'm in favour of sacking Brendan now but I must admit, that second season of his is the best Liverpool team I have ever seen. I'm 27 so can't comment on the teams of the 80's - just early 90's onwards.

Wrong. Rafa was 10 points clear at one stage and we didn't have 3 penalties against Utd. I seem to remember a certain Torres tearing the defenders apart.

And no, Brendan's "near miss" team doesn't come close to the teams under Paisley, Fagan or Daglish. Or Rafas best team come to that...

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #36054: Sep 24, 2015 10:22:39 am

I think what Scott is meaning is that we could have still won the title on the last day of the season under Rodgers, something that we couldn't under Rafa.

We also destroyed the mancs under Brendan that season mate 3-0 and would have been 4-0 if Gerrard hadn't hit the post with his penalty.

Hope Scott doesn't mind me saying he's talking rubbish when he compares Brendan's team to Kenny's team though :)

JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #36055: Sep 24, 2015 10:23:50 am
      He may have been mate. I just remember Busby saying that he thought selling Giles was the biggest mistake of his career but he felt at the time he had no option as he wouldn't stop fouling.

I think most, like myself wanted Brendan gone in the summer, but were prepared to support him when that didn't happen in the hope that things would improve. Sadly things haven't improved and patience has just run out over the last few games.

This.

2 lines of text that says everything
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #36056: Sep 24, 2015 10:29:06 am
      Wrong. Rafa was 10 points clear at one stage and we didn't have 3 penalties against Utd. I seem to remember a certain Torres tearing the defenders apart.

And no, Brendan's "near miss" team doesn't come close to the teams under Paisley, Fagan or Daglish. Or Rafas best team come to that...

We were 10 points clear? Surprised if that is true considering the mancs finished on 90 points. But i'll take your word for it.  From memory I thought we drew too many games and were playing catch up.

As I said I can only comment on Liverpool sides from early 90's onwards but Brendans second season is by far the best Liverpool side I've ever seen.

Rafas team was totally different. He set his sides up so they were extremely difficult to beat and with Gerrard in his prime and Torres in his prime, we had plenty of goals in us too.

Brendans side just didn't give a f**k about defending but we could out score anybody with SAS and Gerrard in support. The football we played that season was truly remarkable.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #36057: Sep 24, 2015 10:33:02 am
      We were 10 points clear? Surprised if that is true considering the mancs finished on 90 points. But i'll take your word for it.  From memory I thought we drew too many games and were playing catch up.

As I said I can only comment on Liverpool sides from early 90's onwards but Brendans second season is by far the best Liverpool side I've ever seen.

Rafas team was totally different. He set his sides up so they were extremely difficult to beat and with Gerrard in his prime and Torres in his prime, we had plenty of goals in us too.

Brendans side just didn't give a f**k about defending but we could out score anybody with SAS and Gerrard in support. The football we played that season was truly remarkable.

I don't disagree that the attacking football was fantastic. But it does show there was a complete imbalance in the team to concede so many goals. That ultimately cost us our first title since '90. And unfortunately, lessons still haven't been learned.

Plantman
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts |
      • Youll*Never*Walk*Alone
      Reply #36058: Sep 24, 2015 10:42:21 am
      the fact is he has won nothing and he is in his 4th year, Suarez, Sturridge, Sterling papered over his inability and ineptness for one year and we still didnt win it, since then his true influence has come through like in his previous jobs, nothing, he has had some of his purchases, the welsh xavi, borini ect ect, 300m spent (dont care about net spend)

and we cant beat carlisle in 120 mins of football with an almost full strength squad. i wanted him to succeed but we are going backwards again.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #36059: Sep 24, 2015 10:45:14 am
      I'll not dismiss what Rodgers achieved here in his first two seasons, yes the first half of his 1st season was a bit gash, but the second half of that season put in the ground work for our title challenge, that much is a given, you could see what he was trying to implement was finally getting across to the players and we started to look like a cohesive fluid unit.

At the same time, you can't dismiss what has happened last season and also the start to this season, we look anything but a cohesive fluid unit, we look terrible, there does not appear to be any sign of things getting any better, we are not even taking two steps forward and one step back.

The signs are worrying at the moment as he looks further away from fixing the problems that reared their heads during last seasons campaign and he's signed seven players and added two new members to the coaching staff to try and address these problems, that's the most alarming thing for me and truth be told its a pretty damning indication of the fact that Rodgers probably can't fix it, as its not really the personnel causing the problem, its whats going on inside his own head, he's lost his sense of identity and abandoned the principles that saw his first two season's as a success, a thing that reared its head at Reading too when he was under pressure.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #36060: Sep 24, 2015 10:48:23 am
      I don't disagree that the attacking football was fantastic. But it does show there was a complete imbalance in the team to concede so many goals. That ultimately cost us our first title since '90. And unfortunately, lessons still haven't been learned.

I went into every game thinking we would win by 2 or 3 goals no matter what the score was though. I didn't think anybody could beat us. Even though Chelsea did on paper, the actual game was a different story wasn't it.  But at that time we knew we would beat anybody who came against us but most importantly, our opposition knew they were going to lose before the game kicked off too. I've never seen that with a Liverpool team before.

I disagree that the defence cost us the league that season, I hate it when people say that.

We were top of the league with three games to go, so the defence hadn't cost us anything to that point, had they? We were in pole position, everything was in our hands.

We went gung ho against Chelsea and looking back now we can all say what was Brendan playing at. He only needed a draw so why didn't we play 8 defenders and two goalkeepers. But we were that good at the time we wanted to win that match and embarrass them in the process. Who, hand on heart, would have changed our tactics before that game? Nobody saw that result coming and as painful as it is, if it wasn't for stevies slip we wouldn't have lost that game. The whole match was in Chelseas half and until that moment, they were never going to score. Their second goal came because all of our players except Mignolet were in their half searching for a equaliser with a couple of minutes left to play.

The Palace game was a freak, but the title had gone anyway. We could argue that City would have been under more pressure but they had simple 3 point fixtures left to play, they weren't going to bottle it at that point. The momentum was with them.

And then of course we beat Newcastle.

We had one hand on the title with 3 games to go. Our defence didn't cost us against Chelsea, bad fortune did.

Anyway, the point of all this is even though I agree Brendan should go now, the above is why I hold respect for him and I thank him for giving me that season. We came so close and it was heartbreak at the end for everyone involved, but I loved going the match that season, I love every second of it. I was fortunate to go to the 4-0 derby humiliation and I was lucky enough to go to the 3-0 away win at the mancs too, plus several other great games that season. Thoroughly entertained and it was fantastic to see Liverpool challenge again.

It hasn't worked out for him since and I'd favour changing managers right now but I hope Brendan gets a good send off from our fans if he does go.

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #36061: Sep 24, 2015 10:49:48 am

We were 10 points clear of the mancs at one stage, but they had games in hand because they had played in the World club Trophy (or whatever it was called)

You are right it was the draws that cost us that season.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,527 posts | 1515 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #36062: Sep 24, 2015 10:52:03 am
      The scariest thing is to think FSG really do not care as long as we don't get relegated. Make the champions league every 3rd year say, and they're happy because money is still being made.

Two of the world's most successful sports teams are Barcelona and the Green Bay Packers NFL. Both owned by the fans. Regardless of what happens in the future, I'd love it if the fans could have more of a say in things.

/ramble off
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,568 posts | 1802 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #36063: Sep 24, 2015 10:52:31 am
      We were 10 points clear of the mancs at one stage, but they had games in hand because they had played in the World club Trophy (or whatever it was called)

You are right it was the draws that cost us that season.

yip was defo the draws that season. We were solid, and superb on the break. but some games we just could not break some teams down.

Quick Reply