Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 10th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P11 W6 D4 L1

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3057819 times
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,199 posts | 4407 
      Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #18400: Oct 23, 2014 02:58:02 pm
      I'm trying to figure that out too mate. He got a side promoted. That side mustn't have done too badly. Comes over, implements his methods. But what's different that led to our defense doing so poorly? Ego? Mental? Weak tactics? Players? Training? Over analyzing? I am unable to put a handle to that.

At Swansea he did not play with a DM but they played a possession based game and highly mobile midfielders were able to cover the back 4.
      I think the issue he faces is the perennial issue with what to do with Gerrard, last year after Christmas he was found a role within the team to launch our blistering counter attacks however our main man from last year is no longer here and the injury to Sturridge has not helped.
      Stevie has been found out a bit by the opposition but doesn't have the movement anymore to counteract the press from the opposition.

In essence he wants to play a attack based game with the fullbacks high up the field and stretching the opposition and the two deep lying midfielders helping the back 4. Problem has been we have coughed up possession to easily esp when the fullbacks are attacking along with Henderson. Gerrard does not have the legs to cover.
      The other issue is a complete miss match in what our defenders want to do. Lovren and Moreno are front foot defenders so will move up when at the same time Skrtel and Glen (who is a failed winger so no great surprise) will retreat to the 6 yard line.
      All this means we can never play offside and creates huge holes as usually only takes one punt up the field and the opposition are in. Doesn't help that Stevie does not have the positioning to mop up.

Set pieces I have no idea why professional footballers are so inept at doing the basics maybe it's a combination of the above and no faith in our keeper.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #18401: Oct 23, 2014 02:59:12 pm
      A lot of people coming out of their shells now to have a pop at the man.

He has brought in a lot of bodies and is trying to impose on a new system here what that sytem is it is difficult to tell, but the man deserves backing. I am not the fondest of his sound bites and attitude to appearence but at the end of the day he is the man in charge of my beloved club as long as he does a job getting them to the top everything else is irrelevant.

Luke covers it well above it is difficult to see what restrictions FSG have put on him and the ultimate result this has had on his abillity to sign the players he has. Are they his 3rd or 4th choice has he set his aspirations higher then a Lambert but ended up with him because he wasn't supported by the powers to be? It's difficult but he has stated time and time again he has the final say on all signings most frustrating thing for me is the ones he brings in rarely play or feature and majority are farmed out on loan.

Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #18402: Oct 23, 2014 03:01:41 pm
      Well, if we decide that it is, in fact, personnel then we must acknowledge that a) dismantling the original defence was a major mistake and b) Brendan has no 'eye' for a defender or goalkeeper.

Like I said - rock and a hard place.

In my opinion [conclusion I've now reached] - although a lot of folk have bought into the 'theory' that our defenders, past and present, were/are "sh*te" or 'in decline' - they weren't/aren't. And throwing more players at the problem won't solve it, where different coaching will.

Letting Agger go was and is proving to  be a huge mistake as was Pepe/

The manner it was done in too was none pleasing.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #18403: Oct 23, 2014 03:16:21 pm

Honestly if I wasn't such a passionate and captive supporter I'd have given up on this club until real owners arrived, it feels like we're constantly beating ourselves up with frustration and disappointment.

I just quote this line and I've said to myself 2 years back that FSG will most probably sell the club in 5 years time after they bought it and after we get back into the CL, sponsorships goes up by a few fold, increase sales in mechandise, tv fees, merchandise sales etc . Buy a few so called potential players, lower the wages, sell a few of our gems, get some profit from it, buy some obscure names but aplenty as if we're buying big time and challenging, farm them out to reduce cost. Sorry to say, this is the trend that I've observed so far, and it becomes more consistent by the day.

And it's clear that they are not here to win trophies, I'm sorry, it really hurts me to say that to the club that I've supported in the last 40 years.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,377 posts | 6402 
      Reply #18404: Oct 23, 2014 03:21:56 pm
      I just quote this line and I've said to myself 2 years back that FSG will most probably sell the club in 5 years time after they bought it and after we get back into the CL, sponsorships goes up by a few fold, increase sales in mechandise, tv fees, merchandise sales etc . Buy a few so called potential players, lower the wages, sell a few of our gems, get some profit from it, buy some obscure names but aplenty as if we're buying big time and challenging, farm them out to reduce cost. Sorry to say, this is the trend that I've observed so far, and it becomes more consistent by the day.

And it's clear that they are not here to win trophies, I'm sorry, it really hurts me to say that to the club that I've supported in the last 40 years.

Why would they sell? They are making money and they don't have to spend any.

All this talk of selling is wishful thinking. They are going to be here for the long haul, like it or not...just look at their acquisition of the Red Sox.

Took them from nothing to champions...there would have been no better time to sell than after that first championship but they are still there trying to win more.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #18405: Oct 23, 2014 03:26:40 pm
      I don't think FSG can be used as an excuse for not being able to defend set pieces or corners.I have serious doubts about there long term aims but only Brendan can take the flak for the fact that his team since he has been here has had a poor defensive record.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,464 posts | 4591 
      Reply #18406: Oct 23, 2014 03:28:35 pm
      Just touching on the defensive coach idea, would it not be easier or cheaper if the Boss downloaded this app?  :f_tongueincheek:

https://www.globallcoach.com
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #18407: Oct 23, 2014 03:31:39 pm
      you shouldn't have to coach an experienced CB how and when to head a ball.But time after time we just look like Rabbits frozen by a cars headlights.
      They need to man up and get stuck in.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,293 posts | 4939 
      Reply #18408: Oct 23, 2014 03:34:50 pm
      you shouldn't have to coach an experienced CB how and when to head a ball.But time after time we just look like Rabbits frozen by a cars headlights.
      They need to man up and get stuck in.

So we dont need a 'defensive coach' then Walt?
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #18409: Oct 23, 2014 03:40:42 pm
      Saw that before the game mate, that is one crazy face Brendan pulls, clearly enjoying his first step into a big European game, bet he wasn't smiling so officiously on the post match hand-shake.

Brendan and our lads were given a lesson and he needs to bounce back in the next game against Real and show he's learned something from it. Last season, when we lost to Chelsea, he claimed it was something along the lines of easy to set up a team defensively and restrict chances for the opposition, he might want to try showing us just how easy that is because from my vantage point it looks bloody impossible for our team.

The signings is such an annoying debate because we don't know what restrictions FSG put on the budget, but we do know there are some and in the most crucial area which whether through Brendan or his successor needs to change if we actually want to "compete with anyone".

Since FSG bought us there has been a constant underwhelming nature to our signings, Dalglish/Commoli/Brendan have all come under fire, the money ball-bullshit has been floating around since their glorious takeover. Some have come out in defence of them quoting FFP and how close we're sailing to breaking the rules but you can ignore all that bullshit and simply look where we figure in the richest clubs in the world charts. We maintained our position without CL football, sponsors flocked to us, not because FSG are commercial wizards, because we are a sponsors dream! We get televised as much, if not more, than any club in the Premier League and we have a fan base that can rival anyone, blowing many of the 'richer' clubs out of the water. So it's time FSG changed their policy and pay the wages that can attract players rather than sponsors to our club.

I don't want to be a supporter of a feeder club, watching Suarez leave last season without being properly replaced is an insult to every person that buys anything associated with this club. You were short changed, you weren't respected like a loyal customer you were fleeced in my opinion. When I'm watching Sterling now I know he's a jackpot sign for FSG, he'll get farmed out just like the rest of our potential once they fulfill it. FSG aren't here to win, it's a con, if they were Cavani/Falcao/Reus/Fabregas/Costa would have arrived in the summer, no we got Balotelli and Lambert, they're here to sustain a CL position just like Arsenal. Winning doesn't matter to them, getting in the top 4 matters, they proved that when they sacked Kenny.

Honestly if I wasn't such a passionate and captive supporter I'd have given up on this club until real owners arrived, it feels like we're constantly beating ourselves up with frustration and disappointment.

£129  = price of the cheapest Madrid season tickets
      £720 = the price of OUR cheapest season tickets.

FIVE TIMES as much for  a third of the quality.
      That speccy b***ard must be pissing himself laughing.

And you make a good pt about Rodgers. On a similar think I remember a big beaming smile he gave in Ballojelly's debut, after he blasted the ball over the bar. I mean its great to see a manager enjoying SOME things. But I just felt Rodgers was enjoying the ride, rather than striving to achieve. I think he knows the Yanksters won't back him, and unlike Rafa, he doesn't feel the pain of a club being held back.

AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #18410: Oct 23, 2014 03:45:25 pm
      Yesterday, I almost felt the tunnel was gonna have  red WHITE carpet being layed out for our visitors.
      Such was the feeling of "we're not worthy" and a serf-like deference emanating around some sections of the club.

Then I remembered the golden rule "be respectful to your biggest customer".
      And ofcourse the "biggest customers" of Fenway aren't us mugs the fans. Its Real Madrid and those Catalan clowns.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #18411: Oct 23, 2014 03:47:35 pm
      So we dont need a 'defensive coach' then Walt?

what I am saying is that we shouldn't need one but the evidence suggests otherwise
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #18412: Oct 23, 2014 03:54:33 pm

Whether its players or other "assets", both sets of Yanks simply see it as a game of "buy low-sell high" and expect the mugs to keep filling the ground regardless.

The whole thing really sickens me. What I can't understand is how the spirit of the fans has been smashed since Yanksters v1 left. Its like we have no pride left, no ambition, no values. I semi foresaw a 3-0 within 30 minutes.

I actually looked into the accounts of the 1st 2 or 3 yrs of Yanksters 2.0 in real detail. It was clear they were hoodwinking us. Its arbitrage.

The whole idea of football clubs as corporate brands is just ridiculous, bizarre. As much as anything, its nonsensically oldfashioned and outmoded.

Its like going round singing how you love Barclays Bank or something. Its the sort of thing some Thatcherite/Reaganite think tank would have come out with in the early 80s.  Except it would get ridiculed and die a humiliating death. Deep down most of us know it. Most of us know how far we're gonna fall behind the top Spanish, German and ENGLISH clubs. But its like half the fanbase is in a trance.

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #18413: Oct 23, 2014 04:00:49 pm
      So, woke up to see a lot of the media attacking Balotelli. Yes, he didn't play well, but neither did the rest of the team. At the moment, I feel he is being made a scapegoat and over shadowing Rodgers' deficiencies.  It's typical British press though, majority of the time, always backing their own and scapegoating foreigners.

The real problem at the moment for me is Rodgers. You have to question why the defense wasn't thoroughly looked into, why we spent 16m on another target man player for him to become the main #9 and yet, trying to play the same style as last season. Infact, what is our style of football? We can't even play possession football, we struggle to play the counter attacking game due to our defensive abilities and Balotelli, how about pressing game? It's only Hendo that does it. 

Last season it was Keegan tactics, attack, attack and attack, but this season, I'm actually struggling to Identify what style of football Rodgers is wanting us to play, which begs the question, what is Rodgers trying to achieve?

I love his character and for me, there is no disputing his man management skills, but his tactical knowledge is less than impressive and it's becoming a worry :(

Also, why is it ok to heavily criticise Balotelli for changing shirts at half time yet fine for Rodgers to shake the hand of Ronaldo when he was subbed off?

Interesting, who in your opinion played worse or the same as Balotelli then, in fact has anyone played at a worse level so far this season than Balotelli, bearing in mind that Balotelli's main job is to score goals and assist in goals, a job for which he is 0 and 0 up to this point in the league.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,199 posts | 4407 
      Reply #18414: Oct 23, 2014 04:09:00 pm
      Interesting, who in your opinion played worse or the same as Balotelli then, in fact has anyone played at a worse level so far this season than Balotelli, bearing in mind that Balotelli's main job is to score goals and assist in goals, a job for which he is 0 and 0 up to this point in the league.

As Brendan said was he playing at centre half. So I guess the CB's played worse no?

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #18415: Oct 23, 2014 04:29:20 pm

Exactly right.

Maybe when the stadium is developed they'll deem it the right time to sell.
      Opravdu
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 80 posts |
      Reply #18416: Oct 23, 2014 04:58:47 pm
      No surprises on his pre Hull match talk.

I think Brendan is in denial....or blind..

On Ballo..

awww that ' s fine then isn't? He is trying hard.. and it's ok to see Long term how it works out...seriously? That is just a stupid thing to say.

The type of actions required are not around a shirt been exchanged at half time, orpraising players because they are training hard!! but more like a kick in the a** to the whole squad..

The comments on Lambert are also just, in my opinion, clumpsy at best! What he says is that Rickie, don't sweat, you won't play..or as a sub for the last 5 min..

I'm quite annoyed for the lad, on what we have seen so far, why is he not playing?

Talking about our attack last year, luis and compare it to this year..The defense is our main issue at the moment don't you think?

I really think that Brendan is still so full of last year exceptionnal run, that he believes that time is the only thing needed for us to start performing again...No insight, no questions of his methods..

To finish by saying that

"We recognise it's a difficult game for us but Anfield is a special place for us to play and we go into every home game to win"

..talking about Hull!?!?!(no offense intended to Hull)

Brendan, please grow some balls, admit we are playing sh*t at the minute, share your part of responsability, drop whoever needs to be dropped (mignolet included!) and questions your method..

Stop talking like an LFC Manager and start acting like one!

Please!
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #18417: Oct 23, 2014 04:59:32 pm
      http://youtu.be/gcQvL5Rxoe8

Whats all the Brendan face pulling "love in" with Ancellotti all about ?

Tele tubby big hug stuff.
      Scary

F***ing inconsequential trivial sh*te you pick up time and time and time again.

What next? 'Brendan wears the wrong shoes, Kenny would never have dared'.

Jesus christ....
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,527 posts | 1515 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #18418: Oct 23, 2014 05:24:33 pm
      I don't get what all this defensive coach needed is all about either

Did Dalglish have one, or Rafa, Paisley, Shanks? Honestly don't know (honestly don't think they did either)

Goalkeeping coach fair enough, but if you need another 'coach' to sort out why you're leaking goals like there's no tomorrow, then that sets alarm bells ringing for me

Bringing in a defensive coach to help the Gaffer out is avoiding the obvious issue at hand. Not that there ever will be a defensive coach mind you - just saying.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,527 posts | 1515 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #18419: Oct 23, 2014 05:26:06 pm

Jesus christ....
      To be honest, I thought the jibs were pretty weird too

Anyways, it could be worse, he could be handing fergie a bottle of wine
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #18420: Oct 23, 2014 07:07:53 pm
       A lot of people taking about a defensive coach or better defenders, the truth is a defensive coach or better defenders wouldn't make that much difference.
       BR set the team up to play football.
       Our problem is stopping other teams from playing football, it is not a defensive problem it is a team problem.
       BR has to think about stopping the opposition, you cant always out play the other team 

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #18421: Oct 23, 2014 07:13:28 pm
      I don't get what all this defensive coach needed is all about either

Did Dalglish have one, or Rafa, Paisley, Shanks? Honestly don't know (honestly don't think they did either)

Goalkeeping coach fair enough, but if you need another 'coach' to sort out why you're leaking goals like there's no tomorrow, then that sets alarm bells ringing for me

Bringing in a defensive coach to help the Gaffer out is avoiding the obvious issue at hand. Not that there ever will be a defensive coach mind you - just saying.

Roy Evans had Houlier forced upon him because it was felt Roy was defensively niave.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #18422: Oct 23, 2014 07:17:18 pm

Jesus christ....

I wonder if you would of had the guts to mouth off at other REDS  on the old KOP the way you mouth off at posters  on this forum. If posters feel the need to criticize or praise Brendan Rodgers they have every right to.

Quick Reply