Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3071782 times
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #20884: Nov 25, 2014 03:30:51 pm

And finally, there is Rodgers himself.
      While Gerrard took the blame for the defeat to Chelsea, there is a theory that it was the manager who should have carried the can.

It was obvious after about 30 seconds of that critical game that Mourinho's plan was to drop deep, stay tight, wait for Liverpool to leave themselves vulnerable and then pounce.
      Rodgers and his players sprinted into his trap with the ball at their feet.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but had he stopped for a moment and considered his options, Rodgers would have realised that he too could fall back and defend.
      Mourinho was hardly likely to launch a risky full frontal assault, especially with a Champions League semi-final a few days later.

The game would have likely ebbed out as a stalemate and that single point would have meant that the title was out of Manchester City's hands. Every manager makes mistakes. But has Rodgers learned from that one?

Where is the Stevie bashing Rodent Forum Poster when you want him.?
      Probably behind the skirting scurrying around flashing those little red demonic eyes looking for another  poster's archived messages.
       ;D

Well someone else on this article ... who can see right through the "Lets Dump The Blame For The Title On Stevies Head ".

I will repeat .
      1 Point from that Chelsea game and 3 from Palace if we had shut the game off with 11 minutes to go would have got it.

We lost the title due to a season long of managerial tactical naivety and ridiculous selections.
      What do you expect from a rookie who has won f**k all.
      Rodgers has even said that after the Chelsea game he was going to try to go for the goal difference.
      FFS !
      He had been reading too many LFC history books and previous cricket scores.

HE lost the Chelsea game  ...       and every other wasted result from the start of the season.

Thats why Mourinho  has a 67%  Career Win Ratio      and Rodgers ........... a 44% Career Ratio (including us!)
      « Last Edit: Nov 25, 2014 04:45:10 pm by eurored »
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,693 posts | 7160 
      Reply #20885: Nov 25, 2014 03:35:03 pm
      But then they go and sign Lambert on what I can only deem as pretty much a compassionate signing because we released him before but now he is playing for England.

I think it's clear we won't be putting up a fight for top 4 this season, Europa possibly which is a depressing thing when you consider our return to the Champions League. We are just about scraping through in the League Cup, we are struggling in the CL and the chances are, if we do make it trough the groups then we will be out of it in the following round. We have the FA Cup yet to start but I would be amazed if we put together any sort of run in that the way we are going.

4 points of relegation having spent £100mill, f**k me that's disgraceful beyond belief and the chances are, the teams we are yet to play below and slightly above us will probably beat us at this rate. We just about scraped past QPR thanks to two own goals and that's probably our highlight of the season since the Spurs game.

I hate moaning or slating the club in anyway shape or form but at the same time I won't hide behind tinted glasses and pretend we are doing well and just need time. We finished 2nd and spent £100mill, we should have gone to an all new level but instead we are languishing down with the relegation candidates having made our worst start for 22 years and trying to make excuses.

its clear to me that there is no "plan" at all its fag packet management.
      the press are now on Brendan's case using previous quotes about Southampton, Spurs and Balotelli so maybe Kenny is right to keep them at arms length.
      the absolute evidence is that the players are not performing or responding to the manager or his coaching staff .
      A defeat tomorrow will be another nail in the coffin and when you need a result the last team you want in the league is Stoke.
      Why after 4 years have FSG not realised they will not change how football works.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,042 posts | 3967 
      Reply #20886: Nov 25, 2014 03:38:34 pm
      It looks increasingly like Balotelli was a pure last minute panic buy. But why did we wait so long to move for a Suarez replacement we so desperately needed? Because the owners didn't want to spend too much beyond the Suarez money and we needed squad players. So they farted around for two months until a big name player cropped up on the cheap. Imagine if we had used all the summer money on Di Maria, Sanchez, Can , Moreno, Manquillo and Lambert and held on to Agger and Reina? We would still be a force. But the owners and manager lack the ambition to go in to the market for world class players. They are only interested in playing moneyball. Well it's not working fellows, sorry.

It looks increasingly like BR was appointed simply because he could operate under constriction, the above says as much with every observation regarding the manager's performance.
      Success is a casualty of false economies.
      Such financial anomalies are no part of any manager's CV, for that matter they should not affect LFC as they are.
      Who are we to blame for this F**k up that is eroding our club? 

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #20887: Nov 25, 2014 03:46:38 pm
      .... and as posted in the Balo Thread.
      Who is to say that Ego Man continually picks Balo ..... to spite the Committee ?  Dangerous game that playing with LFC.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #20888: Nov 25, 2014 03:48:27 pm
      Nearly every manager in the world works under financial constraints.

But all of a sudden this is a "big" problem, although the truth is the usual malcontents are blowing it out of all proportion, usually because they don't want to lay any blame at the managers feet so that they can claim to be a "proper" LFC fan.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #20889: Nov 25, 2014 04:12:46 pm

But all of a sudden this is a "big" problem, although the truth is the usual malcontents are blowing it out of all proportion, usually because they don't want to lay any blame at the managers feet so that they can claim to be a "proper" LFC fan.

Truth right there.

No bailout card in the form of Suarez this season.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #20890: Nov 25, 2014 04:22:47 pm
      It looks increasingly like BR was appointed simply because he could operate under constriction, the above says as much with every observation regarding the manager's performance.
      Success is a casualty of false economies.
      Such financial anomalies are no part of any manager's CV, for that matter they should not affect LFC as they are.
      Who are we to blame for this f**k up that is eroding our club? 

Do Southampton have more money for transfers than us, what about Crystal Palace, or how about Basel, is it still FSG's fault somehow?
      Bloody hell mate, even you must lay some blame at Brendan's feet.
      BTW If Brendan was appointed as a yes man it must have come as one hell of a shock when he refused to work under a director of football.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #20891: Nov 25, 2014 04:41:22 pm
      1win in 7 games isn't it?
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #20892: Nov 25, 2014 04:49:54 pm
      You know what? As a Liverpool fan of 30 odd years, I have just about heard enough slating of managers/players/club owners etc...

Just think of the words to our"anthem", and then remember what it is to be a supporter of this wonderful club, that over the years has given so much joy. I think there's a lot of forumites here who should be embarrased by their rants...
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #20893: Nov 25, 2014 05:18:34 pm
      I don't honestly see it as being a "better fan" being not so quick to jump on the manager. Neither do I think anyone can absolve of him of blame, he picks the team, coaches them, motivates them etc etc so of course he is to blame, along with everyone else. Given though that we've signed a host of kids in Manquillo, Moreno, Markovic, Can and Origi, I think it's also fair to lay some of the blame at that philosophy. Equally of course, neither Lovren nor Lallana are kids (and I'm fairly sure were Brendans picks as opposed to any committee selections) and neither have lit the place up, so there's blame there too.

The important thing though is not the "blame", for me it's what course of action gives us the best chance of success over the next eighteen months or so and perhaps even beyond that. To me, stickig with the manager who signed on the dotted line for all these transfered players makes sense, s does sticking with the manager who six months ago nearly led us to the league title. It doesn't make me a "better fan" than anyone who wants to change the manager or berate him for his colour of socks or anything, but I guess it does make me more of a traditionalist at least.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #20894: Nov 25, 2014 06:33:55 pm
      the problem Brendan has is on the one hand it would appear he is being hampered in the transfer market by FSG's buy young on lower wages type players yet he is a willing partner in this folly.
      You cant buy quality on the cheap

you've said this a lot mate, but do we know for sure that's the policy? i'm not picking an argument or anything, i respect everyone's opinion,but is it actually true that there is such a policy in place? i tend to think not because for the right players, fsg have increased their wages, but it may well be the case that they're trying to keep the wages down in general.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #20895: Nov 25, 2014 06:38:32 pm
      I don't honestly see it as being a "better fan" being not so quick to jump on the manager. Neither do I think anyone can absolve of him of blame, he picks the team, coaches them, motivates them etc etc so of course he is to blame, along with everyone else. Given though that we've signed a host of kids in Manquillo, Moreno, Markovic, Can and Origi, I think it's also fair to lay some of the blame at that philosophy. Equally of course, neither Lovren nor Lallana are kids (and I'm fairly sure were Brendans picks as opposed to any committee selections) and neither have lit the place up, so there's blame there too.

The important thing though is not the "blame", for me it's what course of action gives us the best chance of success over the next eighteen months or so and perhaps even beyond that. To me, stickig with the manager who signed on the dotted line for all these transfered players makes sense, s does sticking with the manager who six months ago nearly led us to the league title. It doesn't make me a "better fan" than anyone who wants to change the manager or berate him for his colour of socks or anything, but I guess it does make me more of a traditionalist at least.

I said it earlier mick that no one at the club works in a vacuum.
      There are things that happen that can have knock on effects.
      For me, blaming the manager, the owners or a particular player is the lazy option, because everyone contributes in one way or another.
      For me it's a modern phenomenon which has come about with first the rise of the management class, particularly in public services, and from there spread to politicians.
      Pointing the finger and looking for someone to blame solves nothing, and actually creates more problems.
      Personally, I thought it was brave of BR to take it on the chin after sundays match. He knew what was coming and sought to protect his players, so fair play to him for that.
      At least the forum poll showed that the majority are firmly behind the manager, although no doubt one or two are also clutching knives.
      Continuity is important, and the end of the season is the time for post mortems, should the owners decide it is necessary.
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,693 posts | 7160 
      Reply #20896: Nov 25, 2014 06:40:18 pm
      you've said this a lot mate, but do we know for sure that's the policy? i'm not picking an argument or anything, i respect everyone's opinion,but is it actually true that there is such a policy in place? i tend to think not because for the right players, fsg have increased their wages, but it may well be the case that they're trying to keep the wages down in general.

non of us have documentary evidence but then its hard to prove otherwise.
      JH himself said that we wouldn't be buying players without a sell on fee being available at the end of their contract.
      Put it this way the evidence is on the pitch and in our league position ;D
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #20897: Nov 25, 2014 06:43:16 pm
      Just think of the words to our"anthem", and then remember what it is to be a supporter of this wonderful club, that over the years has given so much joy. I think there's a lot of forumites here who should be embarrased by their rants...

there is a delicate balance between knee jerk reaction and voicing of opinion though mate. just because someone criticizes BR's tactics and team selection,it does not mean they are calling for him to go or being disrespectful. We need to be careful that we're not closing channels where healthy debate about the current state of our club.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #20898: Nov 25, 2014 06:44:56 pm

It's speculation that those with an axe to grind try to pass off as fact.
      I see that people have taken to quoting Bascombe in an attempt to lend credibility, but he got fu**ed off by the club after going to work for the news of the world.
      The fact is that we need to increase revenue and sustain increased revenue to compete with the big payers and that will only come with Stadium expansion and that toxic word "Branding".
      We were 20 years behind some other clubs in terms of generating revenues from sponsorship sources, particularly overseas sources, we had that lazy tw*t Parry to thank for that, not to mention our inability to find a stadium plan and stick with it.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #20899: Nov 25, 2014 08:05:46 pm

We lost the title due to a season long of managerial tactical naivety and ridiculous selections.
      What do you expect from a rookie who has won f**k all.

So we lost the title due to BR. And I guess coming 2nd was down to Luis.
      Is that not a bit far fetched mate.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #20900: Nov 25, 2014 08:08:45 pm

Not sure what you mean, or who these malcontents are - maybe me, as I think he has been constrained - but also think BR has not got everything right by any means, and not sure what the proper fan stuff is about either.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #20901: Nov 25, 2014 08:12:34 pm
      So, BR's team selection tomorrow.
      Seems Mario is not going to be fit?
      I'd go for the lads with the highest energy - if that can be called a plan :) Allen, Hendo, Lallana, Moreno, Toure, Coutinho.  Rest SG, Sterling, Lambert, not play Lucas.  Would probably play Can though, even though still doesn't look 100% sharp - but he can take a ball up through the middle and has a shot.
      Please God, give us a break tomorrow...
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #20902: Nov 25, 2014 08:18:17 pm
      Personally I don't see any point in not accepting that Brendan has made quite a few mistakes this season, or that the players haven't been playing below the level that we should expect.

Either we believe that Brendan and the players can turn things around or we may as well bring in a new manager and hope that he can do better.

I think Brendan can turn things around but I don't think it will take that much to change my mind and want to start to look for another solution. I don't think things are quite as bad as they may seem at the moment, but a lot of our players need to take a long hard look at the level of performance and commitment that they are putting in.... and Brendan certainly needs to do the same.

Too many excuses too many unacceptable performances ....

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,344 posts | 4966 
      Reply #20903: Nov 25, 2014 08:25:58 pm
      As opposed to the Madrid game when we saw exactly the type of passing game he supposedly loves.

Yep.

The most balanced we've looked as a side all season.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #20904: Nov 25, 2014 08:33:26 pm
      Yep.

The most balanced we've looked as a side all season.

I don't agree mate. I think we looked like a side playing as well as the opposition let us.

1 Shot on target (same as against Palace)

1 corner

40% possession and most of that was in our own half and usually involved our back four.

waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,693 posts | 7160 
      Reply #20905: Nov 25, 2014 08:34:55 pm
      At least we are not 2-1 down to 10 men Bayern at home City also have big problems of under performing lazy b***ard footballers
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #20906: Nov 25, 2014 08:37:20 pm
      I don't agree mate. I think we looked like a side playing as well as the opposition let us.

1 Shot on target (same as against Palace)

1 corner

40% possession and most of that was in our own half and usually involved our back four.

I agree with this Saint but also think there were players there (Lucas/Toure/Lallana) who deserved to be picked on merit after it and was bitter disappointed to see the same selections time and again.

Imagine being the '2nd string' at the moment, witnessing the results and performances we're serving up. Everyone expects them to be ready when needed but I couldn't blame any of them questioning why they're not getting a game right now.

Quick Reply